Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Kilroy posted:

This is especially infuriating among people who got tons of help from social programs but either didn't really process the role that played in helping them out, or think it helped them but most people are abusing it, or both of these things. Which is most people. I want to go into their homes and break all their stuff.

A lot of this has to do with how we process the events of our lives. We're pretty much hardwired to see things in a narrative context, which in turn makes it difficult to understand that our lives are mostly just a pretty random, meaningless sequence of events. It's hard to pull signal from the noise of everything that's ever happened to you, so it's easier to believe that your hard work led you to where you are today. That awful, minimum wage job that you were lucky smart enough to pull yourself out of built character and prepared you for the future, but that time you were on unemployment? That was just a blip in your life's story and not even worth talking about.

I really don't know how you break through this. Leftist policies all but demand that people accept that life is far more out of their control than they'd like to believe. You're trying to sell safety nets to people who believe that they aren't ever going to fall down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Phyzzle posted:

An interesting new term is "politiphobia". It seems to sum up so, so many people I know IRL.

Isn't this just another way of describing low information voters? You're really just talking about people who haven't spent enough time researching actual policy to have a meaningful opinion.

• Locked thread