Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

axeil posted:

is it that ridiculous? having lots of people with guns after society breaks down makes it a lot easier to rebuild society and enforce order. most people aren't monsters and won't form roving bands of gas thieves. i mean, we will still do monstrous things but they're more along the lines of "grandma doesn't get any food" than "mad max irl"

It is absolutely ridiculous, regardless of the core notion's merit or lack thereof.
The US has a lot of guns, yes. More than anywhere else. But the only thing truly unique about the US, the only tangible result of the 2nd as currently interpretated, is how it lets people casually buy handguns and silly military equipment without specific reasons or training.
You'd have to have an unfathomably limited understanding of the world to think this means there aren't a poo poo ton of rifles literally everywhere.

Off the top of my head Switzerland and Finland have almost 50 per 100 people, most of the rest of Western and Northern Europe ~30/100.
And that's just civilian ownership! And we're not exactly talking city folk here, for the most part. And tons of these people, apart from being hunters, have gone through universal mandatory military service and so actually have some common training in how to organize and achieve an objective as a small group with firearms.

So even if guns for everyone is the answer, as far as actual useful gun ownership goes for all we know the US isn't even in the lead, certainly not massively.

The essay was sort of interesting for the most part, but my nagging suspicions that the author might be a massive tool were definitely confirmed by the rants towards the end. Bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread