Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
My personal opinion is that the risk of nuclear war during the Trump administration will more or less stay the same as it has been: we have a lot of nuclear weapons, on many platforms, ready to go at a moments notice, as do several other powerful nations. But I personally think it's a miracle that the nuclear era began in the middle of a massive conflict which resulted in multiple nuclear bombs being dropped but never since. Then we survived the worst of nuclear brinksmanship that followed. Now it's pretty much beyond doubt to most people that a nuclear strike would be the last of many resorts in some future nightmare conflict that will surely never reach such a point..

My worry is that this administration's surplus of finger pointing and alienation combined with loose tongued public conversations about nuclear weapons production will be the last straw to start a global proliferation cascade that might cause "mini" cold wars in the future involving nations that, at this point, don't have nuclear capability. Think Israel and any middle eastern nation in their vicinity. North and South Korea. Japan and China. Any of this future conflict might not be quite so "restrained" as the original East/West standoff and anything could happen. It's hard to know if that will happen right now, the point is that Trump doesn't need to start a nuclear exchange to turn the relatively peaceful nuclear era into a whole new monster. And that, I think, is the more likely than a resource war or a nuclear strike of some kind. Our military is powerful enough to deliver the type of destruction a nuclear strike can without the stigma a thermonuclear weapon would carry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread