Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Like George W Bush, Donald Trump is simultaneously a totally insane manbaby with absolutely no idea what he is doing and also a genius political manipulator who could secretly orchestrate a massive nationwide conspiracy.

That's the delusion you have to live under for any of this nuclear war nonsense to make sense to you.

You don't have to be a genius manipulator when you're the kind of guy who staffs his cabinet with two-bit sycophants and people who are inevitably going to be replaced with two-bit sycophants once they go against your wishes.

Also Trump is going to start a loving nuclear war with Russia in a fit of pique once he inevitably falls out with Putin over some real or imagined slight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Talmonis posted:

It wouldn't be a member of his Cabinet. It'd likely be a member of the Joint Chiefs putting a round in the back of the madman's head and telling the silos to stand down. Anything less would be a violation of their oath.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that the Joint Chiefs are running around with guns in their pockets in when they come to the White House, so this seems logistically improbable.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The guns they got up their sleeves are probably enough to defeat a 70 year old man in poor shape who is ordering them to end the world they live on in nuclear hellfire.

They might have a spot of trouble with the Secret Service agents and/or Trump's private bodyguards, though.

Furthermore I'm not even sure if Trump has to involve the JCS at all in order to nuke somebody, which puts a bit of a damper on the Tom Clancy scenario presented here.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

axeil posted:

is it that ridiculous? having lots of people with guns after society breaks down makes it a lot easier to rebuild society and enforce order. most people aren't monsters and won't form roving bands of gas thieves. i mean, we will still do monstrous things but they're more along the lines of "grandma doesn't get any food" than "mad max irl"

It is ridiculous becuse the most likely scenario here isn't that society (somewhat) as we know it is rebuilt and the US reforms after some arbitrary period of time, it's that local people band together for mutual aid and protection out of necessity and that degenerates into warlordism.

Cakebaker posted:

The essay was sort of interesting for the most part, but my nagging suspicions that the author might be a massive tool were definitely confirmed by the rants towards the end. Bizarre.

I think I know who the author is, and if it's the pperson I'm thinking about he is, in fact, a massive tool. Guy knows his stuff when it comes to the technical aspects of nuclear war, but anything else he says should be disregarded.

• Locked thread