Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

If this were to happen, to what extent would Europe be a target? Or Japan? I would assume American military bases in Europe would at least get nuked, would European cities be destroyed, or would they be left for conventional conquest by the Russian army or something? Would the countryside be affected, or could I just go into the basement for a few weeks or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Dante80 posted:

If this were to happen, counter-force targets would be hit first by the initiator, with counter-value warfare mostly reserved for a second strike.

In any case, it would not matter much what you did. The world would be hosed and we would at last have a pretty convincing answer to the Fermi Paradox.

I guess what I'm mostly wondering about is the actual extent of the fallout, assuming the entire nuclear arsenals of the US and Russia were to be detonated in mostly airbursts, would the fallout be at all survivable in some places?

Sure it would gently caress everything up, knock out electrical grids with the EMP, coat the land in fallout, trigger refugee floods and massively raise the risk of cancer, but would it be actual extinction? People have survived in the Chernobyl exclusion zone for years too, after all. Unless you are directly hit by a warhead (fairly unlikely unless you live in a big city or near a target), isn't there something you can do so you can go on living in whatever is left after the exchange? Or are you really serious that it would be total extinction?

What if you live in the southern hemisphere far removed from any of the superpowers, say in Mauritius or New Zealand or Patagonia or something? What about animal and plant life? A lot of fictional accounts of a nuclear exchange are written from the perspective of an American or British city dweller who have the most to fear, the rest of the world is usually not mentioned in fiction (I'm thinking of Threads or the Fallout games and stuff).

• Locked thread