Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chomskyan posted:

That could escalate into a nuclear exchange in a number of ways.
This is ridiculous fear-mongering.

China isn't going to do poo poo but wave the flag and maybe crash into a surveillance plane or two. Even the looniest of Chinese nationalists know a nuclear exchange with the US would be the end of Chinese Communism and likely of China as a self-governing state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Chomskyan posted:

You're making the mistake of thinking that the leaders of China and the US will act rationally, even under high pressure and tight time constraints. Nukes take about 15-30 minutes to reach their target by missile. The time for determining if a launch detection is a false alarm or not, and deciding whether to launch a second strike or not will be less. MAD depends on human beings making rational decisions every time such a situation arises. So frankly, if you're not worried about nukes you're probably just ignorant of how these systems work.
MAD is a non-factor in this discussion because the Chinese nuclear arsenal is insufficient to achieve it. When it comes to the employment of nuclear weapons China's options are "Don't" and "National Suicide", MAD doesn't come into it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Fojar38 posted:

Yeah that's a much crazier scenario than Trump ordering a nuclear strike for no good reason against the wishes of literally everyone including his secretary of defense and everyone just shrugging and going "What're ya gonna do? He's President."
Like George W Bush, Donald Trump is simultaneously a totally insane manbaby with absolutely no idea what he is doing and also a genius political manipulator who could secretly orchestrate a massive nationwide conspiracy.

That's the delusion you have to live under for any of this nuclear war nonsense to make sense to you.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

what if China uses some of their limited stock to erase two or three carrier battle groups throwing their heft around in waters they claim?
It'd be open season on China for all responses up to, and possibly including, nuclear counter-value strikes.

The US wouldn't need nukes to dismantle the Chinese government, but it would be quicker and there would be very few objections.

• Locked thread