Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svensken
May 29, 2010
...is it actually happening!?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Always has happened

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Oh poo poo. Groot Force shenanigans are legitimately some of my best gaming memories, made my terrible job at the time a lot more bearable when I could come home and beat up mooks with the homies each night

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

So what is working and what is not?

There's no enemies or items. So you can just run around a few of the maps, Midtown is open. I still have some data locally cached, the stash arrangement, currency counts. It's pretty cool to hear the idle voice lines again.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Pretend I posted Mariah Carey dot gif.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Ok, someone please explain this to me like I'm 5 on how to install this and WHY I WASN'T INFORMED?!

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Aaaand just like that, the project was dead.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

phosdex posted:

There's no enemies or items. So you can just run around a few of the maps, Midtown is open. I still have some data locally cached, the stash arrangement, currency counts. It's pretty cool to hear the idle voice lines again.

Even that is huge. This is a big first step to being able to get back what we lost.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

My biggest regret in life is that I never yellowed.
Are you telling me I have a chance to correct the past? I can cosmic every character?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

You must cosmic every character to live regret free.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Look, I just want the private server to do one thing.

Events that behave like bugs and glitches. Come play this weekend, we're leaving a 25x buff on XP orbs for the next 4 days. Hop on this week and enjoy nothing but midtown madness because the other things load into it regardless of what you chose. One random player every hour gets a boon they can pop to crash the server and give everyone in their instance 14 days of boosted credits drop.

e: In fact, if it ever went open source I would love to learn to code to make a switch flipper algorithm that has no idea what it's doing.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 28, 2023

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

e: In fact, if it ever went open source I would love to learn to code to make a switch flipper algorithm that has no idea what it's doing.

So code that imitates the original Gaz Switchflipper. Don't forget to include an option to leave an event running because the switchflipper went on vacation!

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Just a big mad libs of bugs.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The Gazclock is NP-complete though. No one could possibly emulate it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

whatever private server opens up had better have a boon event on opening weekend so everyone can boon party and stack up enough boons to last for the entire playtime of their account

it wouldn't be authentic otherwise

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Run whichever version had the bug where a couple characters could do a full-instance clear by blowing up a box at the start. Those were the Good terminals.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
In the City of Heroes fan release, all the stuff that was previously in the cash shop is now free (or at most it requires in-came currency, which flows like water at high levels). However, City was never a P2W game so this isn't at all unbalancing. It will be interesting to see what Marvel Heroes is like re-released by some dude for free, with all the cash items free.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
They did that at the end I believe.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Dev team gonna get black sited approx 0.03 seconds after Disney lawyers catch a sniff of this

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Good Citizen posted:

Dev team gonna get black sited approx 0.03 seconds after Disney lawyers catch a sniff of this
Just need to think ahead and host the server in North Korea.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Marvel Heroes, the only open waters hosted ARPG!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

If the server emulation itself is easy enough to do on your own, I'm 100000% (the amount of xp buffs I will get) fine with running it single-player, unlike something like CoH or private server WoW there really wasn't anything in MH that needs people to do other than like...the one or two raid encounters that existed?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You needed people to be standing around to taste the sweet tea.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yeah, how are you going to hang out with an army of tiny Hulks on a single player server?

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Jazerus posted:

whatever private server opens up had better have a boon event on opening weekend so everyone can boon party and stack up enough boons to last for the entire playtime of their account

it wouldn't be authentic otherwise

I had hundreds of hours left and DisneyDick owes me.

Server emulation opens up the possibility of x6 small wulferine. Maybe even 10x. Who knows what we can push beyond the boundaries of science.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Well poo poo, I had the day off and was gonna try to set up a server to run around in but apparently i deleted it from my library and steam wont let me download a game thats been dead for years, what the hell?

Anyone know any client download links? It was free so it’s not filez right?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wifi Toilet posted:

Well poo poo, I had the day off and was gonna try to set up a server to run around in but apparently i deleted it from my library and steam wont let me download a game thats been dead for years, what the hell?

Anyone know any client download links? It was free so it’s not filez right?

I don't know if this works for f2p games, but if you go into the steam support section and select the option saying you want help with a purchase, you can select a game from a list and even games that you permanently removed from your library will show up with an option to restore them. This might work if you ever made a purchase in MH at least

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't know if this works for f2p games, but if you go into the steam support section and select the option saying you want help with a purchase, you can select a game from a list and even games that you permanently removed from your library will show up with an option to restore them. This might work if you ever made a purchase in MH at least

Vindicated in my choice to spend $2.50 on the cap & tony dlc

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Unfortunately I just checked and this is not possible with f2p games :argh:

I submitted a request to steam support asking if I could have it added back to my library, we'll see how it goes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'll be watching this with interest, I started getting into the game not long before they killed it IIRC.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I do have the client still installed on an old computer, come to think of it ...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gynovore posted:

My first impression is that this is some half-baked dream doomed to fail. But, the City of Heroes fan revival has been a 110% success, so who knows.

They had all the server side stuff for CoH. This will be rebuilding it from scratch.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

yeah, it doesn't sound from the github like they have any actual server software - they've just cracked the communication protocol, which means they need to reverse engineer not just how the server notifies the client of things like spawned enemies and loot, but what those enemies and loot would even be.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
it's all just yeses and noes and one physical switch flipper how hard can it be

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Just rebuild the training room, no AI needed. I got TTKs to post!

e: Look at all that beautiful damage spam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfW1d8cTIqA

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 29, 2023

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Just need to think ahead and host the server in North Korea.

Devs are russian so close enough

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
As the one who changed the thread to the current title I take 100% of the credit for this news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Wifi Toilet posted:

Just rebuild the training room, no AI needed. I got TTKs to post!

e: Look at all that beautiful damage spam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfW1d8cTIqA

glad to see the private server is feature complete now