Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I would kill to see that comparison actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Holy poo poo, even accounting for time total after release, I would be stunned if the Avengers game made more with it's goofy huge budget.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/1324754312279465991

LOL LMAO

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Multiple friends tried to get me to play that game and insisted it was "actually really good!!" so I looked at a gameplay video and now I completely dismiss their Gaming Opinions

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Crindee posted:

Multiple friends tried to get me to play that game and insisted it was "actually really good!!" so I looked at a gameplay video and now I completely dismiss their Gaming Opinions

There's a really simple test. You ask them if Marvel Heroes was good fun. They say yes, you can trust them. They say anything else, and their Gaming Opinions don't matter.

Unless their name is ICR. Then, their Gaming Opionions are always Suspect.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I enjoyed Avengers for its campaign story for exactly one playthrough but I could never in good conscience recommend it to anyone unless I knew they were relatively big fans of the source material and if it was on an easily digestible sale for like 5 bucks.

I really liked Kamala in the game, she was fun. :kiddo:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

It was kind of ok if you just did the story. It was pretty polished and had mostly ok combat and wasn't very long. It was certainly not good enough to carry it past that though. However many copies it sold, nobody was going to buy a bunch of cosmetics and DLCs and stuff, which they definitely did for MH.

I'm playing a lot of Warframe lately which is not unlike MH if you played MH on a lot of sketchy hallucinogens.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Cool Dad posted:

I'm playing a lot of Warframe lately which is not unlike MH if you played MH on a lot of sketchy hallucinogens.

Look, the setting and plots make perfect sense when viewed through the lens of Eternalism.

And a lot of orbital grade peyote.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
[agreeable grunt]

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

:siren: It's happening! :siren:

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Oh gently caress you’re gonna make me cosmic

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
https://fandomwire.com/is-marvel-heroes-omega-coming-back-in-2023/

quote:

But things may be about to change. Youtuber SlightStardust recently got the chance to speak with a group of fans that are trying to resurrect Marvel Heroes Omega from its ashes via server emulation. While its not yet fully returned to its former glory, it is possible to run around the game world with various characters, use some of their abilities and try various cosmetics.

The team are working on the game consistently with the hope of returning it to a fully playable state. Obviously this is a non-profit project by passionate fans who simply want to play the game. In the video SlightStardust shows off rudimentary gameplay that has a 2023 timestamp, showing that is is not old footage and is in-fact up and running. There’s also instructions on how to access the server emulator if you want to try it out for yourself.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Omega? Nonsense, bring back the good version of the game!

If I can't zip around the map at a million miles per hour, then it's not Marvel Heroes.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

The private server is leaking…

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Omega? Nonsense, bring back the good version of the game!

If I can't zip around the map at a million miles per hour, then it's not Marvel Heroes.

They have access to older builds of the game as well, all the way back to 1.10

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So how soon will Disney's lawyers kill this?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

MH Knights posted:

So how soon will Disney's lawyers kill this?

I fear it's going to end up the same way as many other fan projects do. That is to say, the hammer will come down only once the work is done and the project starts to get some wider attention.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

We will become the switch flippers

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i have become the switch flipper, destroyer of midtown

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://github.com/Crypto137/MHServerEmu

quote:

MHServerEmu

MHServerEmu is an experimental server emulator for Marvel Heroes.

The only currently supported version of the game client is 1.52.0.1700 (also known as 2.16a).

Please see Overview.md to find out how everything works.

If you want to ask questions about the server emulator or help with the development, feel free to join our Discord: https://discord.gg/hjR8Bj52t3

Features

This server emulator is currently in early stages of development. Currently it features:

Network protocol implementation.

Exploration of all hubs, as well as a number of combat zones.

Hero and costume selection.

Rudimentary implementation of hero powers.

It took several years but the thread title is finally accurate.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

unbelievable

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

Great. Now we have to change it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

super sweet best pal posted:

My first impression is that this is some half-baked dream doomed to fail. But, the City of Heroes fan revival has been a 110% success, so who knows.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

This is a great day in history

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Kinda thought it was a joke, but I've compiled the server and it does work.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
you did it reddit

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

phosdex posted:

So do we PM you to setup our accounts, or..?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Call me when we can grind and not a moment sooner

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Let me know when I can have fully boned squirrels please.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

if they actually get private servers for MH to be fully functional again, i might cry. leading Groot Force was the only thing grounding me for a difficult part of my life, keeping me social and doing something instead of just wallowing in despair and depression. im doing a lot better now, but. those were rough years.

it'd be really great to have the game around again and be able to share it with people i've met in the years since shutdown who are like. big parts of my life now

and then i get to tell them they be qualifyin fer cabin boy now

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
If this really works out, I will cosmic today

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sea Lily posted:

and then i get to tell them they be qualifyin fer cabin boy now

Were you the one who got banned from the stream for that?

Man, we all did some stupid poo poo under the Groot Force banner. Some of the best memories.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It wasn't me, but that was definitely one of the group's finest moments

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Jazerus posted:

i have become the switch flipper, destroyer of midtown
If it's not flammable, it's breakable!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I never thought I'd see the day. God drat.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's a marvel, these devs are heroes

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Someone set up the next Crazy 88. How many heroes were we up to at the end?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I never thought I'd see the day. God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

phosdex posted:

So what is working and what is not?