Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

HebrewMagic posted:

Spectacular but break one of your hands with a hammer for the Cosmic Equivalent

Nah, cosmic was time-consuming more than anything else. The equivalent would be like if you spent ten out of ever fifteen minutes staring at the menus with the game paused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hearing they nerfed the mobility powers is a real puzzler. That was one of the big things it had over other ARPGs. Screw clearing trash.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

802.11weed posted:

what was the hardest character to play? i remember mr strange had a lot of buttons??

Strange had a lot of buttons, but you could mash them in pretty much any order and do okay.

Like, when I did this ttk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSqr5ntSmbo most of my DPS abilities were just tossed into a single mouse macro that I spammed.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The thing Marvel Heroes captured which no other ARPG has before or since is the wild diversity characters. They basically took the LoL/DotA model of heroes and grafted it onto an ARPG with the added bonus that the Marvel universe is an endless well of inspiration for new additions.

Like, imagine if a Diablo game had 70 classes instead of five or six. It doesn't matter that there's zero balance because there are so many options a player is bound to find a few they enjoy. I'm legit kind of shocked how rarely that concept gets pulled out and put into games that aren't MOBAs cause it's a drat good one.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 21, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Don't worry, it'll get shut down too when Disney buys DC.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

A Bystander posted:

I also don't trust anyone to be able to recreate the magic.

Trust or not, I'm not sure it's even possible. What made MH such a unique ARPG was the endless well of iconic characters to draw upon. You didn't have just five or six classes, you had five or six dozen. Each one with their own set of abilities and visual design. What other IP has so many characters to pull out that you could even approach a similar draw?

I guess someone could do a LoL APRG... gently caress, that would probably make a shitload of money.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I quit before they culled travel powers, and am glad I did. Why take one of the best things in the game and yeet it in the trash like that? Madness.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

No other arpg has ever done for me what this did. This was a disgusting mess of chaotic noise that made almost literally no sense and was flat broken half the time. But it was fun and prioritized fun. It showered you with so much XP and loot any given item meant nothing and was quickly mulched and I loved it.

This was the standard loot treadmill on Jane stop this crazy thing fast and with all the haphazard development that comes with that and it was possibly one of my top five favorite games of all time.

I've said it before, but taking MOBA-style character design, i.e. a large playable cast with each with a unique kit, was an inspired choice for an ARPG. It goes a lot way toward fixing one of the genre's biggest problems, repetition fatigue from playing the same content countless times. When each of several dozen characters plays differently, you don't mind so much doing the same run over and over.

I remain perplexed why no one else has tried it since.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 31, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gynovore posted:

Except that was what killed it in the end... they changed everything around for the sake of BALANCE!!! which drove everyone away.

I thought they did all that to try and improve the gameplay experience on a Gamepad. Like, the travel power nerf cause gamepads can't whip to the edge of a screen the way mice can, so they'd never be able to do the zipping through whole stages thing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think ARPG's generally have a lot of terrible design elements that they've shacked to themselves, and excessive trash clearing is definitely on the list. It's fun during early progression and for a while after for the power fantasy, but they'd do better to have some kind of skip element baked in for the late game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Omega? Nonsense, bring back the good version of the game!

If I can't zip around the map at a million miles per hour, then it's not Marvel Heroes.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

It's astounding that Marvel Heroes worked at all.

My understanding is that this is most F2P games not made by massive developers. Content and assets are what make da monies, so that's where the resources go, while all the tech and supporting systems are barely functional heaps held together with hope.

That said, I am still agog at the fact that Marvel Heroes required someone to manually toggle weekly and monthly events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I don't think anything is playable yet. The group trying to do emulation is still working on getting the basic game systems functional.

They have a blog.