Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Is there a mic feature in the PS4 version? It's pretty boring solo and no one ever responds to my mic. Do you specifically have to be in a party to talk?

No one ever teams unless a mission auto-teams you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Turtlicious posted:

Just picked this up, is their a summoner class like D2's necromancer?

Haven't played Diablo either, but Summoner Doom used to be easy mode. No idea what it's like in the Brave New World.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Stark Tower 33 forever.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

rhinohelix posted:

Sorry to make it sound cloak and dagger; the game was incredibly fun in closed/open beta, every power set/archetype felt good and powerful; it still really lacked polish, though. The trouble was IIRC they brought in Bill Roper of Hellgate London fame and after the headstart weekend (and selling a ton of lifetime subs) without warning or patch notes they dropped a huge game-changing balance patch (xp nerf, mob dmg increase, pc ability nerfs, etc) on retail launch day. Again, IIRC, they just nerfed and nerfed and never managed to make the game as close to as fun as it had been or as stable as it needed to be out of beta. I got off the train soon after and counted my blessings that I only got snookered for a six months deal rather than a lifetime sub. Of course, CO is still around, so...

Champions also made the pants-on-head-stupid move of using PvP to balance PvE. For example, microdrones would be dominating PvP one week, losers would whine on the forums, and next week people would log in to find microdrones nerfed to poo poo in PvE. The game was poop in many other ways; characters stats are much too complex, and there's no need to team so no one does.

I have no idea why Champions is still not only alive but getting development today. Who the hell is giving them money?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
There's a timer up on the info page. Looks like it closes at 9 Eastern.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Nechronic posted:

Y'know, I never did try PvP. Not even once.

RIP yellowwmans

I didn't even know there was PvP until yesterday.

BTW, rumors are now coming out that Mr. Gaz heard from Disney LAST MONTH that their license had been revoked, but they told no one and continued to sell stuff.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Time for my whalepost. I can't say how many hours I played because it vanished from my Steam Library yesterday, but I'd say about 400. I only spend about $20, so I can't complain about the value. 20 heroes to 60, three passed the Cosmic Trial, no yellowmans.

One thing I do respect about the game; during the time when it was good, 2014 until BUE, it was about the only freemium game that was really fun to play without you ever spending money. It sure as heck made you WANT to spend money on Stash space, but that was about it.

Fun times: being pretty near top DPS with Summoner Doom. I remember being in a 2-man Shield trainer with some rando and a challenge came up here we had to beat three bosses. I beat two and came to see derfus halfway through the first.

Regrets: Hawkeye never became good. Kamala Khan never came out (although she would have probably been a clone of Mr. Fantastic from a powers standpoint.) Never unlocked Kitty, Loki, or Nick Fury.

Also I never traded those 5 Furry Manes.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 25, 2017

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Haha, when the timer ran out it turned to Deadpoop.

Anyway, great times all. I certainly can't say I'll miss this game the way I did CoH, but it sure was fun.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

wizard on a water slide posted:

it's still up, gaz late even to shut down their game

Maybe the admins are all "Gaz is going to fire us anyway, so gently caress them, let the players have a few more hours of fun."

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Ghostlight posted:

It's kind of pathetic how many people have gone and edited their reviews of the game to negative based on the fact that it's closing.

Most of the posts were "Game is closing, do not buy Gazbucks".

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

punchymcpunch posted:

UPDATE: Nobody knows where the server is physically located, the only people who know the password have been fired, Disney is considering purchasing the building and demolishing it to see if that helps.

Hahaha, that's hysterical.

Most likely, they contracted with a hosting company, and paid monthly, so the game will be up until the 31st. Maybe they even paid quarterly, in which case it will be up until the end of the year.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

FranktheBank posted:

So, I don't think Disney ever said the final date? I think it was just "assumed" that their final date for the employees would be the same for the game? It would be funny if the game stayed up until dec 31st

Edit: Of course, this is just if the server don't crash... would be a shame if someone... hosted... a boon party and crashed the game for good.

MHbugle.com is saying Monday now.

Games like that generally require weekly maintenance, so if it is Dec, there will probably be a crash in a week or two.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Dear god, the saddest person on the internet...

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/330026/sold-car-to-play-mho-now-sad#latest

This looks like a troll post, but each of his other posts use the same speech pattern and they jibe with what he said...

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Saw the O got some very pleasant graphic murder scenes today from a guy who detailed how he wants to kill Comixfan today.

Craziest place on the internet since 2013.

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/331161/if-you-are-comixfan-read-this

Clicked the link just now, and... the discussion has been removed??

GAZILLION ISN'T DEAD!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Deakul posted:

So... when's the server getting emulated?

Ironically, if someone got the code+assets and hacked together a singleplayer version, it would be 95% the same. Who the heck ever teamed except when it was forced?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

There mere fact that POGs still exist makes my head explode. The fact that people are actively making POG products makes me wonder if I just slipped into a parallel universe.

EDIT: Just eight seconds ago I was posting in another thread about how POGs were doomed from the start, because when *everyone* is collecting something , it becomes worthless, like comics in the 90's.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

M_Sinistrari posted:

I've heard the argument about Marvel being pissy about Fox not selling back the movie rights on Xmen going around with others who aren't on the forums. I don't know how much of it's legit, but I've heard some pretty good reasoning for it.

Honestly, 'pissy' is the right word for it. Marvel reminded me of an eight year old kid telling his mommy "I'd going to stand right here and hold my breath till you give me my skateboard back!!"

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kokoro Wish posted:

Hey, at least she had a better African VA than Storm.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought Storm's VA was &@(!#ing horrible.

EDIT: turns out she's the same VA who did Shaundi in Saint's Row. She did a good job there, I can only assume the Marvel people didn't buy her a Starbucks Frappuchino before the gig, I dunno.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0630379/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t5

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 21, 2018

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
gazillion.com is up for sale. Someone please buy it and put Fat Rouge there.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kelp Plankton posted:

http://massivelyop.com/2018/06/25/trion-just-bought-up-gazillions-assets-to-beef-up-its-mmo-publishing-arm/

I wonder what they're going to use this stuff for

Maybe a new game using MH as some kind of framework

Holy crap this is just like Silicon Valley.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

FranktheBank posted:

From a reddit reply (grain of salt)

"So from my understanding Marvel Heroes actually had a very well designed tool that allowed programmers to basically create content within the game without editing a single line of code." That sounds useful to company like Trion.

That's... um... that's how every game made in this century works.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Giedroyc posted:

Surprised there aren't people trying to program a new version of this given the mentalists trying to relaunch CoH.

Trion could, in theory, relaunch the game starring "Claw Guy" and "Green Guy" and "Hammer Guy" and "Chesty Redhead".

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I miss this game because I could play it while blind drunk and still actually function.

Deadpoop was great for this, you could play him with only two or three neurons functioning.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Andrigaar posted:

Well looks like I might finally give Hellgate a play.

The single player version of Hellgate was *#@)ing horrible. I can't imagine multiplayer being anything other than a train wreck.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I was one of those nerds who was obscenely hyped for HGL so when one of the dev's asked for programming help right after release because he couldn't figure out how to fix a (very very severe) memory leak part of me died and I have never trusted since

oh and the terrible graphics even for the time, the way every weapon felt wrong and like a toy, the loot, the skills, the leveling, the grind, the levels themselves, the voice acting...

Not surprised. The engine was terrible.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I played Hellgate when it came out in 2006. It was a blah 3D Diablo clone with a bug that made your framerate plummet after half an hour.

Now it's being re-released by some Korean MMO company with no bugfixes or new features at all, and multiplayer chopped out.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The fact that this game was completely brain dead made it the best stress ball after a lovely day.

Deadpoop could be played with three active brain cells. Iron Fist and Doctor Doom, OTOH, were really in-depth.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

thesplintering posted:

*Update: it has come to our attention that Squirrel Girl does not actually have Down syndrome and is actually just drawn very, very poorly. However, we will not retract any of our above points because we’ll never apologize to ableist, sexist, racist misogyphobes!

Translation: we were wrong but we don't care. Also we're huffing glue right now.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Builds where you just counted on bypassing crits and getting insane brutals every now and then were so good

Just giant red numbers and enemies exploding. God drat.

Daredevil had one attack that was automatically Brutal. Slap on an Ultimate Nullifier and go nuts.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Pretty sure Magic Legends is gonna suck. It's being done by Cryptic, who have slid a long, loooooong way down in the 17 years since City of Heroes.

Also, Perfect World is in charge, which means there will be 17 different currencies, but only one or two will matter, and those will be strictly timegated, requiring players to reach for mommy's credit card as soon as they hit top level.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kalli posted:

I like to pretend they'd just have kept chugging along and I'd have cosmiced Honey Badger, Strong Guy and half the X-babies by now.

I'd play the hell out of Strong Guy if they hired a good writer and good voice actor.

And I'd play the hell out of the X-babies if Skottie Young had designed the costumes.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Jack Emmert (City of Heroes) is going to be the head designer. Looks interesting.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
This is the one that looks like it could be awesome.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Soothing Vapors posted:

that's Statesman right? preemptive RIP

Yeah. IMHO Emmert is a pretty cool guy with some interesting ideas, but not a very good grasp of what people actually want.

Like, when City of Heroes launched, the ultimate power for the Empathy set gave an ally unlimited endurance (basically mana) for a minute but stunned the caster for 20 seconds. The top power for Super Reflexes set made you almost invincible for 45 seconds... but you couldn't attack. Who would want that?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I will never get over them being so loving late on the event that they missed the first theatrical release and managed to get lucky there was a second one.

You'd think that, at one point, one executive would turn to another and say "Uh, ya know, given that movies are 99.999% of Marvel's income nowadays, maybe these tie-ins are the one thing that we shouldn't gently caress up?"

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Invalid Validation posted:

Most companies are too worried about balance and poo poo. Marvel Heroes gave no fucks about balance. As it should be. It was a mostly single player game anyways, might as well let stupid poo poo fly.

Except that was what killed it in the end... they changed everything around for the sake of BALANCE!!! which drove everyone away.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Good Citizen posted:

oh, huh, I must be misremembering what killed it then

Dropping the ball twice on MCU movie tie-ins was also a contributing factor.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

super sweet best pal posted:

https://github.com/Crypto137/MHServerEmu

It took several years but the thread title is finally accurate.

My first impression is that this is some half-baked dream doomed to fail. But, the City of Heroes fan revival has been a 110% success, so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
In the City of Heroes fan release, all the stuff that was previously in the cash shop is now free (or at most it requires in-came currency, which flows like water at high levels). However, City was never a P2W game so this isn't at all unbalancing. It will be interesting to see what Marvel Heroes is like re-released by some dude for free, with all the cash items free.