Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

what's with superhero online rpgs and suddenly vanishing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ndub posted:

the new poe expansion is dope as hell, again, for the second time in four months. how do they do it? how do they crank out so much content and then give it away for free, every time? dozens of new maps, a dynamically shifting endgame, d2 style oskill items, half a dozen new corpse explosion skills, and new endgame bosses :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

they make new content to play through the main priority

gaz always had this serious problem where improvements to the game were mostly in the form of new stuff to play as, instead of new stuff to do. i mean there was new stuff to do occasionally, but a more actively expanding game would have implemented in a year what MH did in five years, especially considering how much of the "new" content was mostly just recycled content.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

I do find myself heartened by the thought that while this dumb game will die, our equally dumb emoticons will live on.

:gaz:

if images could be thread titles...

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

I don't understand why people want a private server. The game is half finished garbage right now, if anything we would want mid 2015 MH back.

swg's private server crowd implemented old-swg in a similar situation because nobody liked swg as it was when it died

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You have elected to use potentially the worst example of private servers there could be. At least with this being an ARPG instead of an MMO it may not have as rampant of admin abuse.

i don't have any commentary on how it's run as i haven't paid attention in years, just that implementing the best version of an online game rather than the most recent one has been done before

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

malhavok posted:

Yeah, MH for all its faults was super fun to run around smashing poo poo in. I've tried PoE, their character building is amazing but actually playing the game feels like total rear end.

did you play for very long? did you try out more than a couple of skills to see differences in playstyle?

poe feels terrible at first because the default movement speed is unbearably slow but eventually you can be as much of a wrecking ball as any MH hero.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zokari posted:

Not unless you're willing to spend real money. Or trade for like 100 respec orbs.

you can't buy a full respec with real money, either

honestly though a full respec is never, ever necessary in PoE. you go for a particular main skill and build around it, and the particular combination of gear you're using on a character usually isn't good for many other skills if any, so a full respec with the intention of doing something different amounts to a character restart.

but at the same time, an effectively full respec can often be done with far fewer than 100 orbs, since (depending on how mechanically similar the new skill you want to use is) much of your passive skill tree might be the same as the previous build. so it's not infeasible. and regret orbs are not prohibitively expensive to trade for.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really liked being able to play MH drunk as a lord and both not die and get lootsplosions while using some of my favorite superheroes as PC's. PoE is too technical and if I got whiskeyed up and spent skill points I might end up regretting it.

you can't fight the final bosses shitfaced in poe but lots of skills aren't particularly brainy to play against normal enemies and bosses.

as i said above, tinkering with your points is not really a big deal

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 13, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Erdricks posted:

I'm sure poe is a fine game, but it is also too serious of a game. Anything that I could seriously, unchangeably gently caress up while drunk is not a game I need to be involved with

i don't want to just endlessly defend poe here but where on earth does this perception come from? you can't gently caress up anything permanently, there's always a way out and it's unlikely to be very hard to do. literally everything about your character other than base class can be changed if you don't like a choice you have made

unless you buy a super expensive unique and then brick it with a vaal orb, but that's kind of like feeling threatened by MH while drunk because you might dump your stash out onto the floor

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sea Lily posted:

hi everyone i had a dream last night that someone had set up a private server for Marvel Heroes, and figured out how to add new content, and used this to add Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble to the game as playable and as team-ups. their base costumes were how they looked in the live action Flintstones movie in the 90s for some reason. it was a horrible nightmare

anyway thanks and have a great weekend

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

I keep getting rolled at endgame because of the drop to resistances.

even if you aren't in a guild you can buy high resist gear for pennies

getting outfitted at a level to do white maps isn't tough if you do some market searching for the gear mod combinations you want, and then from there you just accumulate currency and get upgrades so that you can keep ascending up the atlas

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Oh boy

Auction house scraping to do basic content

Or even worse, having to interact with goons

e: vvv Maybe one day I'll get to quality content like that, but I've over a hundred hours in already

scraping, huh

i don't see how putting a few minimum requirements into the trade search engine, which automatically then finds you the cheapest deals that meet your requirements, is too much to ask for, especially since there will be literally thousands of items very cheap for beginning-of-endgame quality gear

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Drythe posted:

lol public domain and disney

my man they made congress change the law just so mickey wouldn't go into public domain. what do you think will happen with marvel

one day disney's switch-flipper will forget to flip the switch, and it will all fall into public domain

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm actually really kind of surprised nobody's hacked together a server emulator or anything for this yet. Clearly there's demand, given that there's a horde of unbelievable brokebrains in this thread passing around memes that have long since become so divorced from their original context as to be bizarre and incomprehensible to outsiders.

it's really hard to make a server emulator for a game that shuts down abruptly. nobody had enough time to prod the server in every possible way to gather logs of server-client communication so that it could be reverse-engineered

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

It's the one where leveling is absolutely terrible, it uses the worst and least fun systems from Diablo 2 like wearing armor slows your speed significantly and stat bonuses rule lawyers you on the difference between "increased by" x%" and "increased x%", and its possible to gently caress up your char unless they give a respec because of a major change or you give them cash money

respecs are purchased with in game currency only and majorly adjusting your character isn't that expensive even

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

This, and City Of Heroes, are the only dead gay games I miss.

good news: folks are finally getting serious about making a coh private server
bad news: no one will ever care enough about marvel heroes to do the same

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Grinning Goblin posted:

I wonder if Gaz ever figured out how many days are in a year.

however many days the switch flipper works

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Move skills weren't spammable anymore. They had charges and long cooldowns to get charges back. Everyone got a free "sprinting" power, but it was infinitely slower than teleporting like a madman. They said something like, "Why the gently caress did we build this whole level if people are gonna just teleport through it? gently caress you nerds, you're seeing every inch of our meticulously hand-crafted level".

over the course of the whole game they built like 30 "levels" max. a single doom2 wad is bigger than that

smdh at a corporation whining about nobody seeing their levels when actually we all saw them a million times

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ponzicar posted:

They consolized the movement and skill system of the PC version. I think one of the devs said it was because while they were developing the console version, they thought they were going to lose the license for the PC platform, but it apparently got extended. It was nice of them to make the game bad so that the actual death wasn't quite as painful I guess.

Also, it seems that there has been a secret City of Heroes private server running for the last six years. Maybe the real reason this thread is still alive is that there's a secret private MH server running somewhere, and you guys are just being stingy with the invitations.

it would be way too expensive to hire a professional switch flipper dude

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Humerus posted:

That would be way too good for Gaz, each costume would have its own currency. Extra currency for the hero itself would be used to upgrade their ultimate!

it's ridiculous that an objectively disparaging post like this would make me desperate to play marvel heroes, but folks, the heart wants what the heart wants

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i can't believe that you can cosmic both trioculus and triclops

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mr. Maggy posted:

can anyone tell me why the devs decided Sleezebagano got a team up character BEFORE Jodo Kast????

at least jodo kast has gotten a few in-game references indicating he's on the list for team-ups. i've been waiting on ben quadrinaros to show up since launch

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

can someone please explain why watto sells hot dogs?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

baby yoda...baby wolferine...the connections are real

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

I am staring at my steam library and the only game I feel like playing is Malibu Hebrons. Just some mindless superhero clicking is what I need right now :(

midtown madness would have been stuck on the same challenges for weeks because the switch flipper had coronavirus

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

where is the switch flipper in our time of need

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kulex posted:

Can't believe I spent > £400 on this game just so I could be the No.1 Luke Cage player.

admirable. i spent $0 on this game so i could be the worst luke cage player

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

that's a lie tho i did buy some stashes

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the statue of baby wolferine will never be torn down. it is too small to loop a rope around

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I had a dream I was playing this game on a private server and I was overjoyed it was back. Then I woke up and realized there is no private server :(

don't make me tap the thread title

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ICR posted:

Marvels Avengers thread will be up in early August. Gonna send this one off to the summer doldrums.

you will pry my marvel heroes thread from my cold, dead, cosmic hands

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

To be fair. Path of exile has this but it's tied into gems and they actually try to balance them.

poe is really good. objectively a better game than marble hebrons. but it's not the same thing

each hero was a package of skills, not a mix and match deal like poe. because of that everybody felt very different whereas in poe certain skills get used by many different kinds of builds.

gently caress i want this game to exist again

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

What if the code is out there but no one can use it because they lack switch flipping skills?

i don't care if i have the same mole man in midtown weekly forever. switch flipping would be merely a bonus

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

can someone please remind the switch flipper to turn on the new custom 2020 holiday event, "a very moleman christmas"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

these new moleman boons are wild. i wonder if anyone is going to do a boon party and end up with illusory molemen following them around for years to come

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Diabetic posted:

:smith:

It's very odd to me we can't set up a private server being able to download all the game's info via Steam still. Ah well.

a person could, with likely years of reverse-engineering, create a private server based solely on client queries for the marvel heroes client. without the database, though, it's effectively not possible to recreate marvel heroes, the game that actually existed, with the correct numbers, npc/enemy positions, text, etc.. video from the era could get you there on a surface level, maybe.

:ssh: i'm not sure that would actually matter tho, was anyone that attached to the way the game was balanced or most of the items/descriptions/etc.? seems like stuff that would see substantial revision from an active private server team anyway

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 30, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

but can you cosmic the thing?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

More games need a weirdo greybeard king dev to get sloshed on corn hooch and write checks that the rest of the dev team wasn't aware they'll be having to cash.

somebody hook peter molyneux up with an arpg studio

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Humerus posted:

If we ever actually get a private server going I better be able to get my several weeks of boons back

the first day i ever played was, by complete coincidence, the big boon party day. they lasted until the end

i never experienced marble hebrons without boons and i would never want to do such a thing

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

are there hot dogs in the diablo extended universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

I'd love to have a private server for this game, but let's be honest:

It wouldn't be nearly as fun without Gazillion there to Gaz it up.

as if a private server could afford to pay someone for the vital role of switch flipper