Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
DPS, Doobies Per Second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
2452 hours and 172€. No regrets.

Sad to see this game go, even if the development of actual playable content had hit a wall for the longest time. All of the other goddamn arpg's are fantasy and most of them aggressively mediocre. MH was far from perfect, but at least it had character and not just characters.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
These forums never went cosmic. Scrub tier. Not impressed.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

802.11weed posted:

remember when they lost the license(?) to sell fantastic four characters, and you couldn’t unlock them but could still play them? weird poo poo

Yeah. Since people had paid for them, they couldn't just "take them back." Customer protection and all that.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Kulex posted:

Can't believe I spent > £400 on this game just so I could be the No.1 Luke Cage player.

Sweet Christmas!

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Adult Sword Owner posted:

You can play with Lowtax, it's his favorite game

A ringing endorsement, if there ever was one.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Anyone keeping up with Marvel Avengers?

Terrible character designs apart, the game actually looks like it could be fun in this latest video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLSCkvjaycw

If there are a lot of costumes to unlock and varied builds for each character I could definitely see this being a decent game. Comes out September 4 on steam

Game looks like it plays itself half the time. Underwhelming.

Also, who is this scruffy green bastard pretending to be Hulk? I don't see a white tuxedo anywhere.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
I just got the "I Am Not Daredevil" costume from a holiday mystery box! Perfect timing.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Knightsoul posted:

WH40K Inquisitor Martyr .

Tried that one. Way too clunky for my taste. Everything felt like moving through molasses. Could work for a desperate 40k fan I guess.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
All settings and controls should randomize every time it's launched, to add replay value.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

RosaParksOfDip posted:

The only thing remotely similar is the Warframe dev streams. No hotdog eating contests but a lot of drunk devs now and then.

I think you got confused and meant The Division. Massive Entertainment is like a clown car filled with incompetence and ignorance. Their awkward streams of pr-horseshit and flat out lies have to be seen to be believed.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I love you Taskmaster, even if they never really gave you a proper signature power, or a useful ult

It's me, the guy who went cosmic and beyond with Taskmaster. I'm on medication now, though.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Avengers poo poo the bed at development phase, then got launched way too early. I don't see them recovering. I'd be amazed to find out that they have anything more than a skeleton crew creating new content for it. Same sad story as Anthem. Marvel Heroes had a really rough go early on, mainly because the monetization was greedy as hell, but they managed to turn it around. Most of their bugs and glitches were minor and related to animation and skill triggers. At least those didn't prevent you from playing, unlike in Avengers where I watched a friend of mine get repeatedly stuck on a boss fight because its character model would just warp out of existence. That wasn't the worst bug either, not even close.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Jedit posted:

I just got into the closed Alpha, not that I can tell you anything about it due to an NDA. But it's definitely shaping up to be a worthy follow-up to MH, because they've just pissed off 99% of the audience by announcing an $80 cosmetic pack before they even launch.

Oh, so they decided to scrap their reputation before the game is even launched into open beta? Solid tactic. I'm sure the dollars will come flowing in.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Shine posted:

It's called "Elite Dangerous" now.

I'll have you know that Star Citizen is far more exclusive and fidelitious and wait where are you going come back

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Bloodly posted:

I don't follow. It's not like the game used enough buttons that there'd be a problem with conversion.

Controller layout wasn't the issue. Conversion is rarely straightforward and it's the kind of work that takes considerable time, money and manpower. Gaz was low on all three. Also, going through certification every time you need to patch your game on console platforms is a real ball ache. I remember their quick fixes during big events. Those would've been a clusterfuck on console.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
The plan was haphazard and made in a mad scramble. A saint couldn't have pulled it off. I don't recall much about the allegations, but they sure as poo poo didn't help any. The way in which their management decided to shut the studio down and burn both players, as well as staff one last time... That chaps my rear end to this day.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Zaodai posted:

Dr. Doom had a teleport that would put the Diablo 2 sorceress to shame. It was glorious, and his damage was stupidly high too. He was basically the epitome of power creep.

He also worked great as an active summoner, which most ARPGs still can't figure out. Doom could summon one Cinderbot, one Aerobot, six Servo-soldiers and three Doombots. In between activations he'd shoot magical bullshit all over the place. Christ, they even gave him an airstrike called "Latverian Air Defense" that stunned enemies in addition to doing heaps of damage. That said, it was great fun and fit the character perfectly.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

SNOT CORN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2HntbHIGf0

Who wants to bet that Perfect World just bought this game's engine and repurposed it into a MTG game?

Oh good, it's another medieval fantasy ARPG. Looks forgettable.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Kalli posted:

Looks like something you can hit buttons in while listening to podcasts/ watching streams, so right in anyone in this thread's wheelhouse.

That's fair enough. I just wish there was more variety in terms of genre.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

McSpanky posted:

God, movement builds were soooooo good. Reworked Spidey in particular sticks out in my mind as just addictive.

The amount of iframes you could achieve on Spiderman was Amazing. The animations were super smooth too.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Visions solar beam build rivaled Cyclops and Storm in ranged AoE damage. I think the main problem was that his animations were nowhere near as flashy.

At least he got the AI Hack skill for turning any robotic enemy into a minion. That one had some... interesting applications.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Fires a rocket launcher, tosses it, grabs a sniper rifle, shoots once, tosses it, throws a grenade, grabs an assault rifle and magdumps, throws aside and grabs the launcher again

He also had the automatic shotgun, flamethrower, submachine gun, flashbang, minigun, mininuke, nerve gas canister and a combat knife. Plus the immortal battle van.

Punisher also got several really nice costumes, including the Rachel Cole Alves one with special voicework.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Oh that's right! The magnum had a crazy good critical buff on it.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

They paid someone for all this. Amazing.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

MH Knights posted:

So maybe Switch Flipper got canned again :(

Yet his legacy lives on!

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

can private servers bring back that one dude who got real weird about emma frost or whatever it was

Literal diamond nipples

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Erdricks posted:

It's Christmas in midtown. Streets were packed with punks, people in suits, and crazies.

I miss the holiday tradition of drowning the screen in loot tags, or just hanging out in the hubs, shooting the poo poo with anyone and everyone.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Gynovore posted:

Yeah. IMHO Emmert is a pretty cool guy with some interesting ideas, but not a very good grasp of what people actually want.

Like, when City of Heroes launched, the ultimate power for the Empathy set gave an ally unlimited endurance (basically mana) for a minute but stunned the caster for 20 seconds. The top power for Super Reflexes set made you almost invincible for 45 seconds... but you couldn't attack. Who would want that?

Sounds like someone who thinks in terms of pen & paper roleplaying games, where that kind of bullshit can actually work just fine and even be incredibly useful.

Let's hope he has improved since then, or that there will be someone on the team who has the authority and skill to turn his half baked ideas into workable ones.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Year 5 update: I am still mad they took this game away from us. Relaunch Marvel Heroes you cowards.

Right there with you bud. Every time I go on my Steam profile I see my rarest achievement showcase and in the top spot is "End of the World" from this title. Here's hoping some suit will realize that in the right hands this ARPG could print money.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

I remain perplexed why no one else has tried it since.

Equally frustrating is the fact that every halfway decent ARPG is fantasy based and a near carbon copy of Diablo. Good old Titan Quest made an effort to set itself apart in setting at least, even if the building blocks were largely the same. Science fiction, urban fantasy and superheroes can all work. Unfortunately the big companies are risk averse as always, so Diablo it is. Smaller companies try, but we all know how that goes.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The tone was also goofy as hell and fun. They took the dipshit stuff of comics and rolled with it hard. Shark legendary.

(andsharklegendarymeltdown)

A thousand times yes. Now let's get ready for the next grim dark sword and sorcery adventure. This one has three Satans in it!

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Lovingly caress the OUYA.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Cool Dad posted:

I'm playing a lot of Warframe lately which is not unlike MH if you played MH on a lot of sketchy hallucinogens.

Look, the setting and plots make perfect sense when viewed through the lens of Eternalism.

And a lot of orbital grade peyote.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

MH Knights posted:

So how soon will Disney's lawyers kill this?

I fear it's going to end up the same way as many other fan projects do. That is to say, the hammer will come down only once the work is done and the project starts to get some wider attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
There was even a clear incentive to grinding every hero. I got so many nice characters and skins for completely free.