Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
Sorry if it's the millionth time of this type of thread, but just need some perspective. With every other pet in my life the decision was either made by others (parents) or the cat died outright out of nowhere.

Tomorrow I take my kitty of twelve years to the vet and I'm 80% sure I should put her down.

Mid December a friend of mine noticed she looked pretty skinny (I am pretty oblivious to day to day stuff). Got her into vet and was shocked to hear she has cancer. Either stomach tumor or lymph nodes. Can't really afford surgery and won't put her through chemo at this age, so I didn't go for the ultrasound to sidentify the kind of cancer.

Vet gave me some steroids to shrink the tumor. Kitty gained some weight back, and I stayed home winter break to be with her. However in the last week she has dropped in weight quite a bit again. She was normally around 11 pounds, was 9 the visit I got the news, and is even skinnier now. Can feel every bone in her tail :( she doesn't drink water or eat dry food now, and if I mix in warm water to make it soupy she will eat wet food or tuna.... but maybe two teaspoons out of four tablespoon serving. :(

I know that the vet will check her out and obv make their recommendation... But I'm suffering from "what if I'm making the wrong choice /too soon" doubts since she does have good days. I read some articles online and some reoccurring themes were "it's better to be a few weeks early than even an hour too late" and "most people who wait till it's a crisis regret it and feel super guilty".

The biggest factor of doing it now is I'm a teacher and I work up to 11 hours a day and it's tough to take off. I don't want her to have seizures or other trauma from waiting too long. I took all of tomorrow off just in case...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks for the responses guys... I tend to be a perfectionist, but I guess there's no "perfect time" or sign when to do this. Best to do it while she's not miserable.

She played w a catnip toy for a minute, ate some tuna juice and now engaged in her favorite pass time: sleep. :3: I think I'm strangely more calm about doing it today than I was the rest of the week. Thanks.

• Locked thread