Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

I am known as the Queen of Delayed Reactions for a reason, heh.
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I just had to have my 16-17 year old Zuki put to sleep, on Friday the 13th of all days. I had been going through some heavy stuff with my Dad having just been diagnosed with Dementia and Zuki went from skinny to nothing but skin and bones in about a month or so while I was trying to keep my Mom together and get help for my Dad. It just happened so fast. I spent at least 50 dollars at PetSmart buying
a different can of every kind of the best food they had. The vet said it was likely old age and even if it cancer or something like that, he'd likely not have survived treatment anyway.

Anyway, he finally stopped eating that Friday and I could no longer stand to see him only lay by his food and water bowls, apparently not having the strength for much more. As an indoor cat, he started wanting to be outside and since we were having weather in the 60's, I obliged him and stayed outside with him. He just seemed to want to smell the air, hear and see the birds and feel the grass. I knew he was ready, but I was not and never would have been had I not known it was best for him to go peacefully in my arms at the vet instead of passing alone while I was asleep or something.

It was the hardest thing I've ever done but at the same time it was the most beautiful, loving and compassionate
"going away" I think I could have given him. I agree with the others who have said it's best to do it before it's ends up being a bad situation.

My heart hurts for you because I was just in your shoes. I don't know what the status is now, but I hope for your sake it is a situation like Zuki had. I took flowers to the vets who were there with me. They gave me all the time I needed to say good bye and all hugged me and even cried with me. They wrote his name on the coffin they provided and put him in my passenger seat for me while i sobbed my way out of the office. He was laid to rest in his favorite spot in my courtyard and there are pics in my thread of the lovely Cat Angel statue I placed on top of his grave. I am so glad I laid him to rest there. I leave notes and fresh flowers for him can have a little chat any time I feel the need. Tomorrow me and some friends are releasing balloons for him as he never met a stranger and was the sweetest most loving cat, and friends with everyone. This may all seem overboard to some, but my son and I had him for almost 2 decades and I need to these things as part of my mourning.

This is all still very raw for me so I'm sorry I wrote so much. I just wanted you to know that you will do the right thing and you will know when it's time most likely. Also, please please take time for yourself and grieve and mourn at your own pace. Our pets are family and it hurts to see them go. I don't have PM's but if you need to talk we can find a way. Once again, I'm so sorry for your loss (or impending loss) and I'm here for you if you need. I'm really sorry <3

Delayed Reaction fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

I am known as the Queen of Delayed Reactions for a reason, heh.
I'm so sorry Grumbletron. I know your pain all too well and it's still fresh and hard, but slowly getting better. My Zuki was the same age and Goomba was such a lovely cat. I love where you put her to rest and you can visit often. I talk to Zuki every time I walk outside and it helps.

You very much did the right thing.

Zuki was in the same position and though it hurts, we both did the best we could because we love them.

• Locked thread