Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i really hope corporations stop trying to engage people

make a good product instead; gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

super sweet best pal posted:

Good job Kraft. Now you look like a generic store brand and the billions you've spent over the years have gone down the drain.

I'll sort of offer a counterpoint to this that probably doesn't make much sense: People are so hateful of 'big corporate" anymore that making yourself look like some smaller or boutique brand helps you by 'faking' variety on the store shelves and make you a smaller target from consumer hate. That, or they can release a lot of different sub-brands and products via the low-key branding of the generic Mondelez branding maybe a bit more easily without diminishing the value of the core high-value brand?

So Kraft Corp. getting a generic name maybe helps. Mondelez can put Kraft-branded products on the shelf with their little tiny Mondelez logo on the back of the box. They can also fill up that same aisle with a wide variety of seemingly unrelated 'brands' of various levels of prestige and quality of that same product but all still sold under that generic-sounding Mondelez brand on the shelf. People who insist on Kraft will still buy Kraft, people who want to avoid Kraft will still accidentally buy "Kraft" because they won't recognize they're two in the same without specifically looking?

Granted, I'm not saying this is the reason they did this, but it seems like a potential benefit.

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'll sort of offer a counterpoint to this that probably doesn't make much sense: People are so hateful of 'big corporate" anymore that making yourself look like some smaller or boutique brand helps you by 'faking' variety on the store shelves and make you a smaller target from consumer hate. That, or they can release a lot of different sub-brands and products via the low-key branding of the generic Mondelez branding maybe a bit more easily without diminishing the value of the core high-value brand?

So Kraft Corp. getting a generic name maybe helps. Mondelez can put Kraft-branded products on the shelf with their little tiny Mondelez logo on the back of the box. They can also fill up that same aisle with a wide variety of seemingly unrelated 'brands' of various levels of prestige and quality of that same product but all still sold under that generic-sounding Mondelez brand on the shelf. People who insist on Kraft will still buy Kraft, people who want to avoid Kraft will still accidentally buy "Kraft" because they won't recognize they're two in the same without specifically looking?

Granted, I'm not saying this is the reason they did this, but it seems like a potential benefit.

Basically like mcdonalds opening a "macs good burger" and driving burger king down even further. Or wendys opening a "daves burger bonanza" and making me go broke.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Big Corporation, Co., High Level Guy: People don't like big corporations any more
High-Level Guy: Hmm, why is that?
High Level Guy: ha ha just kidding, who cares. how can we look like something else without changing at all?

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
  • Long-term profits
  • The "Glass Ceiling" debate - (it's a glass ladder now)
  • Following federal laws
  • "Green" and cause-oriented products
  • Freedom of religion for workers
  • Work Camp Communes (too many strikes)
  • CEO death

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

JediTalentAgent posted:

iirc it's not so much of rebranding as spinoff and stuff. big food industry is really loving crazy right now with consolidations and poo poo all over the place. i wouldnt be surprised if 95% of safeway's products is all under the umbrella of MegaFoodCorp

here's a decent article on that http://fortune.com/kraft-heinz-merger-3g-capital/

Also as to your point about anti big food, I think for every loud urban hipster who goes ew kraft/nestle/hormel/heinz/kellogs/gm/n (lol all are the same now or soon), you have 90x more people in areas that dont give a poo poo and will continue buying it up like their parents before. that's not to say there's definitely a market there, see whole foods and stuff is doing well, but I'm not sure that slice of the pie is big enough concern for bigfood to go after by just changing their name but certainly alternate lines sure

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Tomato Burger posted:

Three. Word. Sentences.

lovely musical acts called "______ the ______"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
But the lovely musical acts will remain.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
A bit of a dumb question: Making media with varying degrees of what people see as attempts to directly be more marketable to the Chinese Market in mind?

In a few years will people be looking back on the window of movies from about 2005-2018 with such content, as well as all the chatter and controversy about it, as a fad that will ended up being given up for one reason or another?

Sort of like how the late 80s/early 90s had so many films and TV shows with an environmental/anti-drug message in some form? How things like smoking and nudity sort of gradually vanished from films over the late 90s/early 00s.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
nobody loving cares about poo poo any more

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Collecting customer data. Because surely pretty soon they'll have all the information they could ever need right?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

shut up blegum posted:

Collecting customer data. Because surely pretty soon they'll have all the information they could ever need right?

It'll just be so quietly invasive that we won't recognize the way or the sort of customer data they capture, anymore. We'll be honestly shocked when we contact a company for support and realize how much data they have about us that they've already casually revealed during the communique.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Xaris posted:

iirc it's not so much of rebranding as spinoff and stuff. big food industry is really loving crazy right now with consolidations and poo poo all over the place. i wouldnt be surprised if 95% of safeway's products is all under the umbrella of MegaFoodCorp

here's a decent article on that http://fortune.com/kraft-heinz-merger-3g-capital/

Also as to your point about anti big food, I think for every loud urban hipster who goes ew kraft/nestle/hormel/heinz/kellogs/gm/n (lol all are the same now or soon), you have 90x more people in areas that dont give a poo poo and will continue buying it up like their parents before. that's not to say there's definitely a market there, see whole foods and stuff is doing well, but I'm not sure that slice of the pie is big enough concern for bigfood to go after by just changing their name but certainly alternate lines sure

oh, word?

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
The lack of kill teams

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

freely existing not under the complete control of the people's soviet or volksgemeinschaft

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
making GBS threads your pants and then trading trading pants with somebody down the ladder or they're fired.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Using philanthropy for marketing purposes

https://twitter.com/StephMcMahon/status/581881800659591168

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Sponge Baathist posted:

making GBS threads your pants and then trading trading pants with somebody down the ladder or they're fired.

An honest day's work for an honest day's pair of someone else's poopy pants, as I always say!

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Yeah, when I can no longer afford food and not-at-all Big Food spin-off-brand makes affordable food, I will buy the poo poo out of it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Volcott posted:

Don't use your credit card at the store, use it to load up your phone with <store>bux and then show us your phone at the store.

I honestly don't understand why they do this.

So when people lose their phone the store has that extra 50 bucks or w/e and wont have to give anything out in exchange

Pick posted:

Big Corporation, Co., High Level Guy: People don't like big corporations any more
High-Level Guy: Hmm, why is that?
High Level Guy: ha ha just kidding, who cares. how can we look like something else without changing at all?

Same lessons the repubs 'learned' after 2008/12

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 20, 2017

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
Moustaches everywhere!

Also includes a corporate social media engagement hashtag, as mentioned earlier.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Tricky D posted:

Having sassy twitter feeds.

Hopefully the shills on Reddit and Imgur who repost that garbage, too.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784863

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Xaris posted:

i loving love engaging with brands

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

all lowercase letters. even for proper nouns. because we're calm.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Way to go McDonald's! This is a wonderful example of forming relationships with your customers and somebody please hit me with a shovel

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

DISRUPT

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jesus christ

Now a bunch of corps are hopping on the no-gmo bandwagon, when the problem most people have with gmo's is just that corporations are patenting food right from the seed and trying to hide all the ingredients.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

JediTalentAgent posted:

A bit of a dumb question: Making media with varying degrees of what people see as attempts to directly be more marketable to the Chinese Market in mind?

In a few years will people be looking back on the window of movies from about 2005-2018 with such content, as well as all the chatter and controversy about it, as a fad that will ended up being given up for one reason or another?

Sort of like how the late 80s/early 90s had so many films and TV shows with an environmental/anti-drug message in some form? How things like smoking and nudity sort of gradually vanished from films over the late 90s/early 00s.

i don't really see it as an appeal to china in particular or an attempt to make movies marketable in all other global markets. i mean it influences it for sure but its mostly because they're blowing like 300+ million on films (including over-inflated marketing budgets and tie-ins that aren't included in the budget of the film) and are attempting to be as safe as possible

it's because they're consolidating their eggs in one basket because they see that as the smartest choice rather than spending that money on a bunch of smaller films

they see indie films as a threat because smaller, lower budget hollywood films might lose out to them so they are attempting the big brazen blockbusters because they see it as an area with less competition

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Bitches not sticking around

E: C-C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

Sponge Baathist fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 20, 2017

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
and honestly it works because even with turds like suicide squad their marketing has convinced people that the movies are Good, Actually so they end up releasing director's cut on dvd that solves many of the original problems which ends up selling dvd copies as people want to see the 'definitive version' and also makes people think more fondly of the movie and maybe rethink their opinion that it was totally poo poo because it's not like most people really realize what a director's cut entails other than 'hmm i remember it being a lot worse, i guess it wasn't that bad now that i saw it a second time?"

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Paying taxes.
Paying employees.
Hiring THOSE people.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
We should probably just kill the upper half in every corporation.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

935 posted:

all lowercase letters. even for proper nouns. because we're calm.

I saw this on sale in the store yesterday, is it good?

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nooneofconsequence posted:

Anyone who insists their cows are that happy probably keeps them in some kind of Hellraiser torture dimension

but the yogurt's probably pretty good

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Tomato Burger posted:

(Formerly Philip Morris)

The new logo is actually a pixellated photograph of a cancerous lung.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

nooneofconsequence posted:

They're fine and tasty, but you have to treat them as basically a Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream Treat than yogurt

31g of sugar for 8z of yogurt is a dessert, not a morning nutritional side

if you want the best yogurt, Trader Joes sells bomb greek(or non greek) plain yogurt that's loving delicious and not basically a fat american ice cream treat with the pretense of being "healthy" because it's yogurt

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 20, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

olaf2022 posted:

lovely musical acts called "______ the ______"

gently caress you Run the Jewels is dope a f

also lol what do you think the entire point of charity is to begin with

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Xaris posted:

They're fine and tasty, but you have to treat them as basically a Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream Treat than yogurt

31g of sugar for 8z of yogurt is a dessert, not a morning nutritional side

if you want the best yogurt, Trader Joes sells bomb greek(or non greek) plain yogurt that's loving delicious and not basically a fat american ice cream treat with the pretense of being "healthy" because it's yogurt

Lmao at that super secret aussie secret called "shitload of sugar, mate"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
open floor plan offices, god willing

• Locked thread