Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Doltos posted:

Why does that dude have a pepe on his shirt? Is this some 4chan idiot that got sucker punched or something or is he an actual neo-nazi?

It's this guy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ah yes I see how that has something to do with pepe

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Do we really need the Cradle of Civilization? Much like a fourth quarterback on the roster, it seems somewhat superfluous.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Imagine being proud to be white lol

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Kalli posted:

It's this guy:

Haven't most American "whites" been tainted by the blood of savage peoples? :can:

Ehud posted:

Pre-1980s: We are proud to be the best examples of the human race!
Currently: Our skin color is a result of interspecies breeding with neanderthals! We're still cool somehow.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

sean10mm posted:

:eng101: Self-described "Alpha males" who can't get sex... aren't actually alpha males, they're just huge assholes who wish they were what they imagine alpha males to be.
thanks for the bro tip

Ehud posted:

People who are "proud" to be white actually aren't :haw:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Chat THREAD

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
In all seriousness though, punch Nazis every chance you get. They deserve it, you won't feel bad and no one who matters will care.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Punching Nazis is as American as apple pie.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Punching nazis is pretty cool. I went to a punk rock gig once with some mates, isnt really my thing but it was a chance to drink and hit on ladies with funny coloured hair. There were some lame dudes with ss shirts on and the band played nazi punks gently caress off and then a bouncer punched a dude who tried to throw a beer on stage. It was pretty cool.

Smashing shop windows and lighting fires is pretty lame though. Its also pretty funny that starbucks contributed a bunch of money to the dnc and protesters smashed up a starbucks.

Punching people in the back of the head when they put out fires and start to preach peace is equally lame.

Some good comedy though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They always smash the windows of Starbucks because they say it represents THE MAN in its most virulent form or something.

My suspicion is that they're just angry at the place they work.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

There's a great book on the siege of Stalingrad that is extremely bleak that just keeps getting bleaker and bleaker. Like the Russians are just totally without food or ammo for wide chunks of it and it's all your standard totally overmatched army surviving by sheer determination stuff, but once the counterattack hits and the Germans get encircled, oh man. They didn't have full winter provisions so guys were just freezing to death at their posts, they eat all the officer's horses and the last few weeks of flights there's soldiers shooting themselves left and right trying to get a med evac on the supply planes and tons of injured soldiers just get trampled to death, and eventually the ones that survive capture just get marched to a prison camp and left to effectively starve to death. During that whole time Hitler kept sending them instructions to hold out because an imaginary relief force was coming to rescue them.

There were a bunch of anecdotes about the cannibalism going on in those camps and I'll probably never forget the one about this Italian soldier with this chaplain who ends up protecting his brother's corpse from hungry Germans for a full night before collapsing (and then the Germans had two good meals).

As a history major nerd, I'm curious, which book are you referring to?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
gently caress the DNC

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

got any sevens posted:

gently caress the DNC

They hosed us first.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
it was christmas dinner and hillary showed up with tuna noodle casserole

i mean its decent enough and im glad to eat on christmas but gently caress this only comes every so often

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

fartknocker posted:

Don't know what book he is referring to but I highly recommend Stalingrad by Anthony beever and also the hardcore history podcast series called ghosts of the ostfront.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Kalli posted:

they eat all the officer's horses

This right here was a MAJOR issue with the German Army.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
If Sanders had won the election would he have still had to put his hand on the bible to be sworn in

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fartknocker posted:

Enemy at the Gates by William Craig.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Kalli posted:

The pope plays a sniper in that movie.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh are we doing history book chat? I really liked Iron Coffins by Herbert A Werner about serving as an officer and later captain on U Boats during WW2. Like, if you know anything about the Battle of the Atlantic you realize they're total death traps by the end of the war, but just everything about serving on one sounds miserable. There's a story about taking on eggs for a crew of 50 but everyone except the few experienced guys were so seasick they couldn't eat them, so the author and a few other guys were stuck eating nothing but eggs so they wouldn't all go bad.

It's also interesting if you're into learning how regular guys viewed how the war was going on at certain points.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I loved Castles of Steel, but it's been quite a few years since I went back to it.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Wheez would have been proud of this

https://canipunchnazis.com/

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

Ah, that's what I was thinking, some of that sounded pretty familiar. Haven't read it in probably seven or eight years...

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Don't know what book he is referring to but I highly recommend Stalingrad by Anthony beever and also the hardcore history podcast series called ghosts of the ostfront.

I've had a few people recommend Beever's book, so I'll probably look into that when I have the chance.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

got any sevens posted:

gently caress the DNC

Everyone, please think long and hard about listening to Mr. "Repealing the ACA is Fine Because Everybody Dies."

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shangri-Law School posted:

Everyone, please think long and hard about listening to Mr. "Repealing the ACA is Fine Because Everybody Dies."

Who said that?

I read one good ww1 book about some British midlevel officer, it was just his diary someone found later and published, over the course of a year each entry got more depressing as he was losing his mind and becoming a fatalistic coward happy for any time away from the frontline trenches. The Guns of August is great too.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

got any sevens posted:

Who said that?

You did, you twit! Right after the election.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a book called Fateful Choices, by Ian Kershaw, that's really good.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

also the hardcore history podcast series called ghosts of the ostfront.

:hfive:

Everyone listen to Hardcore History.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I binged that and I was loving haunted for days

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If you want to get really academic about the Eastern Front read anything by David Glantz. He is absolutely amazing and basically the authority on the Ostfront in WWII. I recommend reading When Titans Clashed for a general 41-45 overview. If you get really into it read his Stalingrad quadrilogy. That being said unless you are really into thisshit you'll find it a slog to read since its very dry and matter of fact. He also has a book on Kursk, Operation Mars, and a brand new book on operations in Belarus. He somehow still hasn't written a book on Operation Bagration so I hope that's coming someday. Also watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Clz27nghIg

If you want something a lot lighter read Ivan's War. It'll make you hate humanity pretty good. For a good in-between Antony Beevor and Robert Citino are great.

And there's also an awesome 18 hour documentary series on the Ostfront called Soviet Storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A6UWkK2U4s

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 22, 2017

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Flikken posted:

This right here was a MAJOR issue with the German Army.

Horses are great for getting around in places where the infrastructure is garbage. Like, say, the Eastern Front.

That's why the Poles had horse mounted anti tank and scouting units. They could dart around off road faster than any mechanized vehicle available.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Sash! posted:

Horses are great for getting around in places where the infrastructure is garbage. Like, say, the Eastern Front.

That's why the Poles had horse mounted anti tank and scouting units. They could dart around off road faster than any mechanized vehicle available.

The German Army did not have anywhere near the mechanization that western armies enjoyed in the war. They didn't choose horses because they were better suited to the terrain, they used them because they had no other choice, infantry pretty much walked everywhere too.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Read Wages of Destruction by Adam Tooze to see just how shoetring literally everything the German Army did was.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I was thinking "this is a really confusing thread of ww2 analysis and punching nazis" but then remembered they're exactly the same thing

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I am sorely deficient in my WW2 in Europe knowledge. I thought Citizen Soldiers by Ambrose was decent :shrug:

I'm adding these recommendations to my Amazon wish list.

I have a poo poo ton of books about the Korean War (Chosin campaign mostly), US-Vietnam War, Cambodia/Khmer Rouge, and North Korea, if anyone is interested in books about that stuff.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Y'all know that Dr Seuss did political cartoons during the war?

The UCSD library has more

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am reading books about the Seleukid Empire because I am so loving bored of WW2.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am reading books about the Seleukid Empire because I am so loving bored of WW2.

I randomly chose an apologistic book about Caligula to report on that attempted to view him in a unbiased light way back when I was in school. It was alright.

Might have been this. Pretty much everyone who wrote about the dude who actually knew what went down is on the record as hating him, which is evidence that he was everything people tend to think about him. But it could also be evidence that maybe he wasn't quite all that bad and just pissed off the type of people who wrote about things back then.

I'm not actually recommending this book but it's about that other thing that's way over analyzed and not WW2 so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detergent
Aug 7, 2006

WDE WDE WDE
Whoa, is this an off topic thread? Huh.

• Locked thread