Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
There is no topic to be off of, though I am a little shocked by the lack of barbecue chat.

Vinegar based barbecue is for human trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Whats your favorite grocery store bbq sauce?

I find Stubbs is usually pretty drat good but sometimes I just want that super fake sweetness of sweet baby rays. Does kc masterpiece still use molasses or did they switch to corn syrup? Molasses is awesome.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
As a creature of Costco I've always gotta have that Sweet Baby Ray's in the house. By which I mean it's hard to go through a 40 gallon tub.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Grittybeard posted:

I randomly chose an apologistic book about Caligula to report on that attempted to view him in a unbiased light way back when I was in school. It was alright.

Might have been this. Pretty much everyone who wrote about the dude who actually knew what went down is on the record as hating him, which is evidence that he was everything people tend to think about him. But it could also be evidence that maybe he wasn't quite all that bad and just pissed off the type of people who wrote about things back then.

I'm not actually recommending this book but it's about that other thing that's way over analyzed and not WW2 so...

You should get one of the books about the lesser known Emperors. There is one on Constanius II that is really good and loving Maximus Thrax is getting a book later in the year despite ruling for like ten minutes in one of the harder to understand eras.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Benny the Snake posted:

Y'all know that Dr Seuss did political cartoons during the war?

The UCSD library has more

Yeah, I read a book on them back in highschool, shame he was full in on that US sentiment though. Hey, don't be racist against blacks or jews, now nips? gently caress those guys.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I read a book on them back in highschool, shame he was full in on that US sentiment though. Hey, don't be racist against blacks or jews, now nips? gently caress those guys.

He turned apologetic afterwards but yeah, his depiction of the Japanese is incredibly racist.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

The Puppy Bowl posted:

There is no topic to be off of, though I am a little shocked by the lack of barbecue chat.

Vinegar based barbecue is for human trash.

No???

Vinegar /slaw/hush puppies

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Benny the Snake posted:

He turned apologetic afterwards but yeah, his depiction of the Japanese is incredibly racist.

Oh I know, but it was always particularly funny to me, because in the book in that one was contrasted with ones like this or the ones about hiring black labor:

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
i can't stop farting

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Roasted Donut posted:

i can't stop farting

That's a different thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740728

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Kalli posted:

Oh I know, but it was always particularly funny to me, because in the book in that one was contrasted with ones like this or the ones about hiring black labor:

And you can see where he drew inspiration for his later characters like The Cat in the Hat from this Uncle Sam eagle:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Mod/not-mod thought: I like how SAS proper is just rolling along in fear of Hand Knit who may not even have logged on in a few days and TFF and PSP/whatever it's called now are going wild.

I don't actually know if PSP is going wild since I only check thread titles and the sad lonely boxing thread.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 22, 2017

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Conservative policies are worthless.

Anthony Beevor has two of the most depressing books in Stalingrad and Berlin 1945, the first has horrifying accounts of germans being operated on (including amputations) without anesthesia when the encirclement got heavy.Russians having so much ammo they wasted anti-tank rifle shots in individual german soldiers,being driving in droves against machine gun nests with no weapons or clearing minefields by running through them.
Berlin 1945 is just rape.Like a solid quarter of the book is tales of sexual violence. Wages of Destruction is awesome and finally destroyed the myth of Nazi efficiency and well doing regarding economic matters for me.

I'm reading the Campaigns of Napoleon now.Pretty interesting stuff about Le petite Corporal and the destruction of multiple european armies (and nations )

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 22, 2017

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Flikken posted:

The German Army did not have anywhere near the mechanization that western armies enjoyed in the war. They didn't choose horses because they were better suited to the terrain, they used them because they had no other choice, infantry pretty much walked everywhere too.

Oh I know. But horses are fun

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

so yeah... math

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
someones probably gonna fuckin MURDER me for this but is there anything similar to hardcore history for like the ancient roman-ish time period. Doesn't have to be early hundred's BC exactly or anything but I don't know if there's a term for that time period. ancient history is just really cool, man. im sorry i like dan carlin dont hurt me please

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

i'm glad he was progressive on race relations but man that is a really lovely comic

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Scionix posted:

someones probably gonna fuckin MURDER me for this but is there anything similar to hardcore history for like the ancient roman-ish time period. Doesn't have to be early hundred's BC exactly or anything but I don't know if there's a term for that time period. ancient history is just really cool, man. im sorry i like dan carlin dont hurt me please

History of Rome by mike duncan is basically the reason history podcasts exist.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--if you've actually checked it out than go with that first

Scionix posted:

I'm sure it's not as good and I've never actually checked it out but deadspin did something like that with (I assume) a dude with history chops. The first is here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I actually clicked on the podcast I half assed suggested and the guy's voice annoys me, ignore my suggestion until someone who will listen to it for a while recommends it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mike Duncan's Rome podcast was so successful he got a book deal out of it.

Now he's doing revolutions with has covered the English revolution, American civil war, French Revolution (phenomemenal), Haitian revolution, and currently we're following bolivar around in South America.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
The march was cool.

Nov 6, 2002

The first Trump press conference contained basically nothing but factual lies lol. The NYT takedown of it is great.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/21/us/politics/trump-white-house-briefing-inauguration-crowd-size.html

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It's great of the press to sac the gently caress up now that it's way too late, after months of muddling the waters with false equivalence horserace bullshit.

Nov 6, 2002

They are only doing that now that it's obvious the president has basically declared war on them for the next four years.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

i am the press
secretary

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I ate at least 15 chocolate chip cookies yesterday

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I ate at least 15 chocolate chip cookies yesterday

I've been known to bake an entire roll of cookie dough and eat it all myself. Get on my level.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hmmmmmm what should we eat for the games today?

I'm thinking spicy wings. I know :effort:

Nov 6, 2002

sean10mm posted:

It's great of the press to sac the gently caress up now that it's way too late, after months of muddling the waters with false equivalence horserace bullshit.

If you want to weep read this.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/09/26/the-falsity-of-false-equivalence/

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

Mike Duncan's Rome podcast was so successful he got a book deal out of it.

Now he's doing revolutions with has covered the English revolution, American civil war, French Revolution (phenomemenal), Haitian revolution, and currently we're following bolivar around in South America.

I'll second this, Revolutions is really good.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Grittybeard posted:

I don't actually know if PSP is going wild since I only check thread titles and the sad lonely boxing thread.
PSP is definitely going hog wild and it owns

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Kalli posted:

This picture was taken yesterday

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Someone photoshop the Wazzu flag into the background

Nov 6, 2002

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Someone photoshop the Wazzu 12th man flag into the background

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Now that all the conference threads are back there should be a war.

Nov 6, 2002

laf

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
owns

• Locked thread