Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Trump Administration: Less sophisticated than a Nigerian Prince phish attempt

Also has tons of strip clubs for some reason.

Because it's right next to the Washington border and they're allowed to sell booze in strip clubs in Oregon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Just started watching Its Sunny in Philadelphia (started on season 3 bc a friend told me to) and man oh man has this been a morning of laughs...."we're all hungry, we'll get to our hot plates"

You might go back and watch the first 2 seasons, they're not as good, but it's not as drastic a change as say the first season of Parks and Recreation. (though the first season without Danny DeVito feels a little weird in retrospect, just because he's not there)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

does anyone want to talk about alcoholic waiters

Don't doxx me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I liked how yesterday NPR tweeted out The Declaration of Independence and a bunch of people thought it was a personal attack on Trump.

https://twitter.com/jbillinson/status/882418386143260673

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Also NPR apparently doesn't realize that tweeting like 200 tweets in a row in order to do that spammed the everliving gently caress out of their own subscribers who had set up notifications for their tweets, which are normally just occasional news headlines etc. The results were hilarious but Jesus, they must have lost thousands of followers yesterday from that.

I had to regularly unfollow Patton Oswalt whenever they were airing new episodes of Downton Abbey.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I don't think I've seen Raid, no. I'm not sure which movie you mean though, IMDB is not helping.

Yeah dude the actor who played Dredd is the guy who plays Bones on the new star treks and it's kind of a revelation. Super violent of course, but a really underrated movie, not to mention that it really kind of captures the character from the old comic books. The old Judge Dredd movie with sly stallone is schlock, enjoyable for certain aspects but kind of campy and dumb. Dredd is so much better.

It's the top thing on that list, I and probably Amy Pole Her forgot it was released as The Raid: Redemption in North America.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Sorry - The Raid.

Similar story to Dredd (many actually complain it kinda ripped it off) but it's a fantastic martial arts action movie.

Their production schedules were too close to each other for it to be likely either one ripped the other off. Yeah, they're both about cops going up through a concrete building while a bunch of bad guys try and kill them, but if you think about it, that just makes them both upside down rip-offs of Die Hard.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT3P8XbGLQQ
Face/Off>The Rock>Con-Air>Air Force One

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kalli posted:

The best movies introduce all the characters and give you a rundown: Con Air, Running Man, The Usual Suspects, Guardians of the Galaxy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8GfCfpUnQ0

That criteria makes Suicide Squad a good movie, so you can't be right.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uterine Lineup posted:

What's with all of the Air Force One haters?

I don't hate it, it's just not as good as the other films mentioned and has a really dodgy green screen effect right at the final climax.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TOS is soooooooo much better than TNG it's not even funny.

I haven't watched Girls since the second season, but I gathered that Lena Dunham was pretty self aware that her character was a terrible person, she steals the tip her parents left for the hotel maid in the first episode.

and this older, but

Spoeank posted:

There are so many reasons the bay area is garbage and the toll roads are one of them, just below warriors fans and the entire peninsula being a homogenous hell scape of Teslas, strip malls, $3,000/mo studio "luxury apartments" and business parks

I'll grant you the first and last but I live in Oakland and don't know hardly about any strip malls, maybe out in Walnut Creek or whatever, but if there's a god damned mountain between you and the Bay how are you in "The Bay Area."

Also, don't be so harsh on Warriors fans, during football season a good chunk of them are Niners fans, so let them have their win, it's like if the Cleveland Browns and the New York Yankees were in the same market.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Flikken posted:

Still an enjoyable show. I just got a tick whenever they referred to a female officer as sir.

That was a thing in the first episode of Star Trek Voyager, some random person calls Janeway "Sir" and she says something along the lines of "I know that's what the protocol says to call a commanding officer, but don't" or something. That show is supposed to be our future, we've had female officers since WW2 at least, no one in the hundreds of years in the future thought to update military protocol on addressing a superior to account for women?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

remember when starfleet kicked the space indians off their space reservation

Everyone stares at me weird when I say I don't like TNG that much because it's really loving racist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TNG sucks because almost every episode is :
"We have to respect other cultures"
Encounters another culture
Makes it more like the Federation.

It's imperialism via the soft sell.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Enterprise did nothing* wrong!

*It did a fuckton wrong, but had a decent amount of good stuff too, I'd put it pretty solidly middle of the pack. Voyager on the other hand. . .

Voyager has the episode where Janeway and some dude* get turned into lizards, have sex, have lizard babies get turned back into humans and completely abandon their lizard babies on some alien planet.

*Janeway is literally the only character name I know from that show. I know it has a black Vulcan, but I don't know his name either, in my head he's "Black Spock."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also why the gently caress does Star Trek keep going back to the OS or pre-OS era for its new stuff. The TNG/DS9/VOY era was so much more interesting

Because TOS was the best Star Trek show and they think being timeline adjacent will make their show better.

Also they're too lazy to come up with new aliens so they just want to re-discover poo poo other people thought up in their show about exploring unknown space.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

Somebody make Fast and the Furious Star Trek Edition!!!! Space fambley stealing Romulan Warbirds and robbing the Central Bank on Ferenginar

Justin Lin directed Star Trek Beyond and most of the Fast and Furious movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah TOS is mostly bad with the occasional bright spot. It's groundbreaking, and the three lead actors have a lot of fun chemistry, but the plots are usually painfully bad, Rodenberry was terrible at building a believable setting, the special effects do not hold up, and the much-vaunted social commentary always feels super contrived. Even its most "courageous" moments, like when a white man kissed a black woman on TV for the first time ever, are undermined: they were being mind controlled, and made it super obvious that they didn't want to be kissing and were fighting it. For gently caress's sake.

It's still miles better than Voyager and Enterprise, though, because LOL those shows suuuuuucked

This is a correct opinion on TOS, the fallacy is thinking TNG or DS9 is any better. About a third of TOS is some of the best television ever made and the rest is somewhere between middling to dire, but the highs are loving high. For instance Balance of Terror is probably the best submarine movie ever made.

Also calling out Gene Roddenberry for lovely world building is missing the point, they were morality plays, they specifically avoided world building in TOS. All of the star dates are made up numbers except after the decimal it was supposed to represent a tenth of a day and if the episode took place over multiple days the last digit before the decimal would advance by 1.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kalli posted:

No, it moves your particles and poo poo.

Otherwise, how would the teleporter have worked in Spaceballs? His head was really on backwards, that's the only thing that makes sense.

Spaceballs was better then any Star movie; War, Trek or Fighter.

Spaceballs is mid-tier Mel Brooks at best, it has like three great jokes and a lot of middling poo poo.

Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, The Producers, and probably a bunch of other movies are better. poo poo, if you put a gun to my head I'd probably say Men in tights is better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Holy loving poo poo our escrow company is literally filing the closing paperwork as we speak and the listing agent called our agent to try to change the rent back for the fourth time. Our agent told him to gently caress off with that poo poo.

I don't understand most of this sentence, but real estate people are some of the most evil mother fuckers on the planet, so good on your agent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Eh, it's fair to say TOS episodes were mostly about characters and the social commentary topic of the week, but a better SF writer could have fleshed out a believable setting at the same time, and later Trek writers managed it in particular in DS9. Somewhat.

To me, TNG and DS9 are both better in that they toned down the melodrama and camp, were better (especially DS9) at creating plot and character arcs that spanned multiple episodes and even series, and just generally took advantage of improving television writing, casting, budgets, acting, etc. of their respective eras.

Basically TV in the 1960s was total poo poo compared to TV in the 1980s, which is in turn garbage compared to TV in the 2010s. Star Trek is no exception.

World building is the worst thing, and also your last paragraph is complete bullshit. You're that guy who says black and white movies are boring.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Eli Wiggum posted:

When I bought my house many moons ago it was straight from a married couple who flipped houses for a living; I also dealt directly with them versus an agent. It was smooth sailing throughout the entire process. We agreed on a closing date a month in advance and they had all their stuff moved out by then. Previous owners handed me the keys and that was that.

YMMV when it comes to home buying

I just heard the word "rent" and my ears perked up. I'm most definitely a city mouse and I don't think I'll ever make enough money to buy a house somewhere I'd want to live, so I was mostly thinking about landlord poo poo.

Holy poo poo, don't grope women, especially don't grope spies, and doubly especially don't grope spies when you're 76 because now you're old enough where you can die in your sleep and no one is going to question it.

Kalli posted:

Mid tier Mel Brooks is significantly better then Star Wars or Trek.
That's fair.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

what, they can't just use their ubiquitous replicators to replicate a shuttle?

why are replicators just for food, anyway, like, why in the gently caress don't they have a cargo-bay-sized replicator to just churn out fighter drones or whatever

star trek makes no goddamn sense

This is why you don't loving do world building, all of their technology is designed to avoid dealing with the logistics of a basic morality play, it's why Shakespeare used magic.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Men in Tights does not hold up well at all

It holds up better than Spaceballs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

I thought Patrick Stewart was the driving force behind that because he really wanted to drive a dune buggy

That makes sense, since it's the only part of the movie where anyone looks like they want to be there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I think we must be on totally different pages regarding what "worldbuilding" means.

World building might not be the right word in what I was saying.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Also I swear white people like Blazing Saddles just because they can get away with laughing at and quoting all the n***er lines.

You're thinking of Quentin Tarantino movies, and/or Quentin Tarantino.

fsif posted:

My wife and I tried to start watching The Next Generation for a reason I can't really elucidate and it was exactly as boring as I remember it being as a kid.

There's a couple of good episodes but it's not really a good show and I think the people who hold it up as best Trek haven't watched a lot of any other Trek (TOS animated series is best Trek)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Finally, the reboot nobody wanted with the cast nobody can tolerate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leE10vdvkho

People like Dwayne Johnson.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Okay I read about twitter nazis going to Germany and actually getting the piss scared out of them by real antifa and I calmed down

Fuckin lol

I want to see Pepes fight Black Bloc

Did dumb gently caress Americans try and counter-protest G20 protesters? What the gently caress?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah but ratings are often total garbage. At least for me, they tend to be much more stringent about sex than about violence, which is the exact opposite of what it should be. I only said anything at all because I think a lot of parents make the reasonable assumption that a wonder woman movie is gonna be a kids' movie, and it really isn't a kids' movie. Teenagers, sure. But when we went to see it, there was a mom with like a seven year old girl and I think they left after the scene where the nazis gas the village where all the happy people were the night before and they're all now loving dead

There aren't any Nazis in Wonder Woman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spoeank posted:

There would be Nazis in WW but WW killed em and stopped them from becoming Nazis if you really think about it

Actually, all Wonder Woman did was help ensure the creation of Nazis. The holocaust only happened because of a time traveling Israeli woman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MrLogan posted:

Cooked or uncooked?

Cooking ruins the vitamins.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kalli posted:

Do you hate participation trophies?

Will your son succeed no matter what?

Then sign up today

https://www.soccergenomics.com/dna-soccer-test/

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/883776888837156867

At least one person is going to do that and discover their son or daughter has something like Huntington's because it was recessive in both parents. That's going to be a fun conversation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My favorite part of this is the assertion that they have a hologram of your child on record and ready to go

They hired Jared from Subway as a subcontractor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I'm having a delicious ipa at a little dive just outside of Allegheny National Forest, where I rode quads on the fire roads all morning.

I'm not an outdoors guy at all but I went dirtbiking on some old logging roads and when we got there some people on quads were leaving and I thought "that looks fun." After dirt biking I thought "you loving pussies."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I have a KTM dual sport too, but the guys I'm with wanted 4wheelers today

You're friends are pussies

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

*casually glances back at gun rack full of shotguns hanging in back window of the cowboy cadillac*

Oh. For sure, guy who just said he doesn't like going outside

I said I'm not an outdoors guy, not that I'm agoraphobic. I just meant I'm a city mouse, not a country mouse so activities that involve driving to the middle of nowhere first aren't really my wheelhouse. And quads are still definitely for pussies since dirt bikes are cheaper and way more fun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

And Spoeank is literally correct when he says "literally the only hand". Blonde lady needed precisely 7hearts and 7diamonds to beat short hair lady.

With that said lol at short hair lady making a big deal about it and talking about folding. She flopped top set with an SPR of ~33 in a tournament and then turned the full house. Get the money in the pot as fast as possible and if they have quads then congrats to them.

Giving a poo poo about the sportsmanship of professional gamblers seems weird. Lady lost a lot of money in what should have been a statistically certain win, she's gonna be upset. I would have flipped the god damned table if that happened to me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Lol things keep getting hilariously worse for Trump Jr.

There is literally an email now that he got that said "hey we have info from the Russian gov to help you win do you want it?"

The funny part is no one is going to go to jail.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It's not weird to be upset, it's douchey that she is trying to save face by talking about folding.

I don't think the woman who won gives a poo poo, so it's weird you do. The lady who lost didn't insult or threaten anyone, she just monday morning quarterbacked herself, which is a completely understandable reaction to losing tens of thousands of dollars in less than five minutes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Also djt jrs defense was literally that he was too stupid to understand what the rooskie was telling him

Honestly, just looking at him makes that a believable defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

Are there San Diego people in this thread? What's some fun poo poo to do in San Diego?

They have the best zoo.

• Locked thread