Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

seiferguy posted:

Hi tff I just want to let you know you're my favorite forum and I enjoy posting with you guys.

:same: It is fun and everyone else I know gave up on talking about the Lions long ago so this is kinda my only place to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

Mike Duncan's Rome podcast was so successful he got a book deal out of it.

Now he's doing revolutions with has covered the English revolution, American civil war, French Revolution (phenomemenal), Haitian revolution, and currently we're following bolivar around in South America.

I'll second this, Revolutions is really good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

I'm the "this is kind of stressful" sign.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My friend's dad died suddenly yesterday, he was a Bengals fan and one of my first thoughts was "I hope he at least got to watch the Steelers get punted out of the playoffs".

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
politics
https://twitter.com/jadande/status/825847036515807232

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I wish I had a yard, or even adequate sunlight in my apartment, for growing stuff because I'd definitely plant some herbs.Years ago I helped a friend of my mom's plant a tomato garden and it turned out OK I guess.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Quiet Feet posted:

We grew some squash, jalapeños and tomatoes two years ago. The tomatoes were pretty blah and we didn't get too many zucchinis but the jalapeños grew lile crazy, which was a pleasant surprise. Our house has tall trees on three sides and theres only one small section of driveway that gets sunlight worth a drat, so I wasn't expecting much. I'll probably only do the peppers this year.

Grow red jalapeños and send them to me TIA

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Wanna pet that Twitter avatar.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have my office to myself today which means that when someone makes me mad I can just "what the gently caress is wrong with you" instead of internalizing it like usually.

Extremely healthy IMO

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Some of the best-looking women I know here are regulars at my gym so please work out ladies (and everyone in general)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What did RG3 say that was finally bad/dumb enough to get the boot, I'm behind on my forums drama these days.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

weird Asian candy posted:

an artisanal burrito

Don't leave me hanging man

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Aw that's not as exciting as I thought it would be. But I really want a burrito now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

New Power Rangers series lookin kinda weird.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Shaving owns but drop that three-blade poo poo and get a double edge safety razor, a shaving brush and some shaving cream. I loving love shaving now.

I really want a big dog but my wife and I need to buy our own place first and I don't want to buy until the economy actually collapses.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
^^That's one that my wife really wants but I'd feel bad if I didn't have a house with a yard for it.

Grittybeard posted:

Huh, never thought about it but I wouldn't even think about that as a big dog.

Then again one of my buddies in high school had a great dane. Let me tell you you haven't lived until you're crushed under the weight of a great dane who suddenly decides he's a lap dog.

Fine, bigger than the Corgi we already have :v: There's a couple of Bernese mountain dogs in our neighbor and they are such good-looking dogs :3:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Food poisoning on Thanksgiving :negative: As if the Lions getting drubbed on national TV wasn't bad enough.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
There has been zero politics chat at my family's Thanksgiving meals the past several years and it owns. Probably because it's just been our immediate family at those dinners.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Mel I'm about to join toilet heaven with your Grandma do you want me to tell her anything

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ehud posted:

I should go back to the gym at some point

I want to go for a run but my wife keeps telling me I should lay low until my stomach and bowels stop torturing me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ehud posted:

That was my first DNF since I had a bout of plantar fasciitis.

I really tried to push myself but I just don't have it right now fellas. Still, I'm glad I went. I need to regain some sense of normalcy or I'm going to slide into depression.

Probably gonna go home and hang out with my dog and clean the house a bit.

Def exercise if you are feeling sad, it will take your mind off of things and you'll feel better afterwards. I do a lot of my important thinking when I'm running.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
PYF use of Thanksgiving leftovers

My wife made Masaman curry with a bunch of leftover turkey last night :getin:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

pubic works project posted:

I'm a simple man. Just some good bread and I'll make some drat turkey sandwiches.

My wife is Thai and our dirty secret with homemade Thai food is that most dishes are piss easy to make. It was a hit though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Probably Magic posted:

What's you guys's recipe for Masaman curry? That's one of my favorites.

Now that I'm done driving 10 hours from my parents' place...
-Can coconut milk. We use Aroy-D or Chaokoah (sp.)
-Can Maesri brand Masaman curry paste
-Yellow or white onion
-Garlic
-Thai chiles (Masaman is a less spicy curry so feel free to go as light as you want here)
-Sweet potato (totally non-traditional, but really good)
-Protein (usually chicken for us)
-Thai basil for garnish
-Sugar, lime, and fish sauce for taste

Cut up your protein and veggies, then fry the garlic and chiles with a bit of oil and a third or so of the paste. Toss in the protein with another 1/3 of the paste can, then once that's cooked add your veggies with the rest of the paste. Stir it all up until the veggies are cooked through, then add the whole can of coconut milk and stir until all of the paste is dissolved. Bring to a boil, then simmer and season with lime and fish sauce. If it's too spicy, add sugar to the desired heat level. Eat now over rice with basil leaves or simmer it for however long you want and really get the flavor going.

Thai curry is really easy to make. Maybe someday we will learn how to make curry paste from scratch but I haven't had home-cooked Thai curry that didn't just use paste from a can.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
For a long time while we were dating my wife was adamant about needing to have kids before 30 or she would get cancer later in life, and now that we're both 29 she's the one saying "why would you want to bring a life into our impending nuclear holocaust", as if she's the one who's been reading this forum for years and not me :lol:

Despite how hard a lot of people make having kids out to be I still want one, maybe two. But at the same time nearly everyone I know who has is or is thinking about having them has one of three things going for them:
-Lots of money
-Family nearby
-A stay-at-home work setup
And I don't see my wife and I having any of those in the near future. We said we'd re-evaluate when we bought our own place (likely next year) but who knows.

Probably Magic posted:

Thanks for this! I have adamant curry at H-Mart all the time and want try it out at home.

No problem, like I said curry is really easy to make but it's always a hit when we do.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Neil Armbong posted:

The reality is there will never be a perfect time. You need someone to have flexible/open PTO because kids get sick at the worst time. Parents nearby alleviates this a bit, but poorer and dumber people successfully raise kids all the time, so where there's a will there's a way.

Yeah I'm sure we'll get there eventually but there's a couple things that I want to fall in place first (namely a better job for me and our own place). My parents aren't pressuring us to have kids right now and hers are actually advising us not to, even though I think they are secretly desperate for grandkids :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

There are two, maybe three people in my mom's side of the family who would unironically use this calendar.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

seiferguy posted:

Rowing would be good.

Boxing would be great. I wish I didn't forget my gloves at home.

My wife got me a trial month at a boxing gym in Philly and it ruled, a shame I already had too much other stuff on my workout schedule to justify another gym membership. Maybe someday I'll go back.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

My coworker is an airline pilot on the side and he says this was an inside job by the airline pilot union :lol:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Delaware just had a 4.4 magnitude earthquake. Felt it in Baltimore and friends in Philly and DC all felt it too. Pretty weird.

I felt it just outside of Philly. Was wondering if I was going crazy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nice. I've considered a short term ultra strict diet to lower my body fat (I'm currently 160lb at 5'9 with pretty good muscle) but I just love carbs too much to do it. I'm also currently still at an age where I'm able to consume upwards of 5,000 calories in a single evening and lose it within 2 days so I want to keep takin advantage of that while I can.

A guy I work out with used to be pretty chubby but has cut a bunch of weight in the last year or so on the back of a few of those 30-day clean diets. I should really do it one month but I have a completely out-of-control sweet tooth so lol

I ran competitively in HS/college and continue to run and lift to this day so my metabolism is good enough that I can eat kind of like poo poo and still maintain my weight.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder if it helps that I always eat everything in a 4-5 hour window during the evening. Not for a conscious reason, that's just when I feel like eating.

I think one of my problems is that on the nights where I go workout I'm never home until 8:30 at the earliest and not eating dinner until 9 or even 10 depending on what else is going on. Then I eat a bunch because I just worked out and go to bed like an hour or two later.

This is the second thread that I've read this week that says "don't eat breakfast", I eat an actual breakfast daily and I'm still real drat hungry by 1 PM when I eat lunch but I might try cutting back on the breakfast a bit (usually a wheat bagel and a smoothie)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

axeil posted:

I just went running tonight for the first time in forever :unsmith:

In the winter of 2015-spring of 2016 I lost 35 pounds but in the ensuing year+ I gained almost all of it back. It really upset me so I'm trying really hard to do it again. When I did it last time I went nuts though, eating only 1400 calories a day and running at least 5 miles a day. It wasn't sustainable. 1400 calories a day is pitiful and it became really easy to slack off because I had this mentality that if I didn't get my 5 miles in the whole day was a failure.

I'm trying to be better now :unsmith:

As someone who's been running for over 15 years, the thing that matters most about running is that you just get out there and do it on a repeated basis. Even if you can't muster up to stick to 5 every day, just get out there and do some running. Also doing 5+ miles a day on 1400 sounds depressing, I used to have a running watch that calculated calories burnt during a run and 5 miles would be like 6-700 calories.

I miss having a running buddy, mine moved over the summer and there's this girl I work out with sometimes and I keep saying "yo hmu and let's run" but she's failed to get back to me enough times that she's probably trying to hint at something :negative:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

axeil posted:

My girlfriend has been really supportive and encouraging. She's the best :unsmith:. My therapist also pointed out my all/nothing thinking on the workouts was really self-destructive, would set me up for failure, and was a nearly impossible to attain standard. We've talked a lot about how my all/nothing thinking and ridiculously high self-standards are horrible for my mental well being but, well, it's still a work in progress :shobon:

If you are a former runner then you should know that these things take time. If you were like me you were dogshit slow when you first started and (hopefully) got better at it after a while.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

axeil posted:

I would like the Phillies to be good again but :laffo: I think we're only good for one WS caliber team every 30 years.

I need them to stay bad-to-mediocre so I can go see a game on the cheap. Been saying that since we moved here a couple years ago but have just been too lazy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
gently caress thanks for reminding me that I need to finish Xenoblade 1. loving loved that game but life got in the way at like the 75% mark and I never finished it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I remember the spellcasting woman being a lot of fun to play in that game but I can't remember the really broken series of spells to queue up with her.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
lol thank you for using spoiler tags after I said I hadn't finished the game, my wife was really into watching me play for a while and when I stopped playing it she looked up the ending and has been threatening to spoil me on it ever since, even though I think I know where it's going :sweatdrop: (I do know who Seven is though)

Actually wait while I have your attention how the gently caress do I get Shulk's fourth ability tree or whatever? I was told I need to do enough sidequests in the starter town to make a certain person like me enough but I just can't seem to make it work despite wringing that place dry of quests.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm one or two zones past where you get Seven but still no luck. Gonna have to poke around some more, my wife is flying to her parents for a few weeks over the holidays and finishing this game is near the top of my to-do list while she's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

axeil posted:

I looked it up for you. There's a bunch of requirements

I'm guessing the reason it won't trigger is your Colony 9 affinity is too low. I recall having issues with it too. It's a real pain to increase it because there aren't as many quests there. Here's the full list, you need 6,000 affinity: http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Colony_9_Quests

Interestingly, Shulk's 5th ability tree is much easier to unlock as you just need to finish a certain quest, no affinity required. However, you also have to have finished Mechonis Core. It'll be.....pretty obvious why.

Thanks. Yeah the affinity was the issue for me, also my inner min-maxer said "you've maxed out the first three trees, don't progress any further in the game until you have a fourth one to put that experience into!" and welp

• Locked thread