Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

please dont make salsa chicken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

seiferguy posted:

People who cook more than me: what do you use a parer knife for? Im taking out my new set from my parents and didn't recognize that kind of knife.

stuff you don't use a cutting board for, so basically never because you can't get good cutting form with one and i own a vegatable peeler. i think i use it once a year to skin apples

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

learn how to cook meat and the different heats and times for stuff like chicken breasts, thighs, flank steak, roasts (get a thermometer too, it doesn't have to be a thermopen).

cook every day and eventually you get a clock in your head for when side dishes are done and the order you want to do stuff at. mise en place is important, to start you really want to have everything cut up and ready to cook before you start cooking but now i'll do stuff like chop onions, throw that and beef in a skillet, chop peppers and throw that in while the meat's about done.

learn how spices work, garlic can be savory but not overtly garlicky, i personally like a lot of oregano in mexican dishes, fish sauce/paste/soy sauce can go in anything "meaty".

fritattas are easy, my recipe is cut up what you want and cook it, scramble 6 eggs in a bowl and dump it in, let it get set but still watery, top with cheese and broil to finish. the alton brown skirt steak recipe is a good example in using heat that you probably aren't accustomed to, he has you lay the steak directly on the coals but i personally just get the grill hot enough to singe arm hair at ~8 inches. whole chicken or pork loin is cheap easy and impressive. red beans and rice is good for knife skills and a good lazy sunday football meal. crab/fish/shrimp boil is stupid easy.

eventually all this stuff fits together and you understand how to prepare meals and the time it takes to do it and it gets easier and turns into a part of your daily schedule

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my only beef with kenji is the sponsored sous vide stuff is like 99% bullshit. dont make a loving sous vide burger

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ff 10 12 and 13 are all good games. the zodiac job system in 12 makes it too easy to minmax and get all the ultimates because chances are each character is getting a job all to themselves, and licenses for gambits kind of suck because you're fine with 2 or 3 straight away for non magic characters and you probably want all of them for magic ones

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

there's a ton of fireworks going off at ten pm here

naproxen is the only thing that works for my weather migraines for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

happy new year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-10nOSpPAyI

• Locked thread