Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blitz7x posted:

I'm really excited about the renewed hate between the Raiders and Chiefs and instead of being basement franchises we're competing for the division

Yeah it's honestly a good thing for football, old school rivalries are way more fun when they matter.

Blitz7x posted:

Also they're garbage and overrated

Of course it obviously won't matter for long because Carr is an illusion and that defense, just ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Also this is as good a place as any to note this, the Broncos hired away Chiefs assistant special teams coach Brock Olivo to be their main ST coach.

I mainly remember him as the personification of gritty white running back at Mizzou, he wasn't fast, he wasn't shifty, but he'd lower his head and plow into the line as many times as you'd let him. He's got a damned hill named for him on campus that he'd run sprints on as often as possible. Also those were the first Mizzou teams of my lifetime (at least my football watching lifetime) that weren't total dogshit, with Olivo and Corby Jones. Also Ernest Blackwell who literally went crazy and died a few years later

quote:

The 29-year-old Blackwell died in an ambulance on the way to a hospital; investigators are awaiting autopsy and toxicology results.

Blackwell wounded his 9-year-old stepdaughter with a shotgun, then beat and kicked a 14-year-old neighbor and attacked the girl's stepmother in her home.

She recalled Blackwell saying, "Lord forgive me for what I'm fixing to do." Then he struck and kicked her, yelling "touchdown" with each blow.

She said he also yelled that he hated women and repeated the number six. Angela said she did not know Blackwell, except to exchange a greeting in the neighborhood. There was no animosity between them, she said.

Blackwell then broke into Angela's home and beat her stepmother, Trina Hicks.

A county police officer arrived and interrupted the assault. Blackwell tried to grab the officer's pistol during a struggle. The officer ejected the magazine to keep Blackwell from firing ammunition, police said, and hit a panic button on his belt radio.

More officers arrived, and neighbor Patricia Bristow saw police struggle with Blackwell, hitting him twice with a Taser's electrical charge in an attempt to subdue him.

Sorry, got sidetracked with old Mizzou things. Anyway, as an NFL coach Toub should rightfully get most of the coaching credit, but KC's special teams were amazing this year and Olivo had something to with that. Wish he'd have gone just about anywhere else though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

One of his distant relatives was in my battalion and holy poo poo he was a loud mouthed moron to the point that I was actually glad when he got shot in the face attempting to escape a bank robbery.

Who's that, Olivo or Blackwell?

I could see Brock's family being pretty meatheaded, Blackwell was just...a weird very angry dude who lived a pretty poo poo life outside of football.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I somehow completely missed that Alex Smith is a pro bowler. Well, because other people are hurt, but he'll be there.

I swear that distinction used to actually mean something but maybe I'm remembering wrong. Did Steve Bono ever make a pro bowl?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The Chiefs have hired Mike Kafka as a QC coach.

“Slept, awoke, slept, awoke, miserable life.”

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

Also this is as good a place as any to note this, the Broncos hired away Chiefs assistant special teams coach Brock Olivo to be their main ST coach.

Haha holy poo poo.

Yeah so when I said I could imagine Olivo's family being a bunch of meatheads....yeah this is why.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

At what point do the Raiders stop getting linked as the destination for half of the free agents yearly?

Are they almost out of cap space?

They've got 44 million and change and don't have a bunch of must sign free agents of their own, so not this year. That is only 9th in the league but still, it's plenty of cash to make a splash if they want to.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chromatic posted:

i thought he sucked and was bad

Super special teamer/part time end around runner. If he's cheap enough it could be a good signing.

Just can't run routes is all.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd say in a vacuum Patterson isn't worth 5 million/year, but it's a one year deal and with the Raiders cap space who cares?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
More specifically a dumpster fire team that left the city.

That's an interesting attempted burn for an Oakland fan.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Black Sunshine posted:

and I don't give a gently caress where the team plays as long as it's the Raiders. I live in tropical Ohio. I mean yeah it sucks for fans in Oakland. I feel bad for them and it obviously would've been better if Davis had found a way to keep the team there w/o losing majority ownership in the team but the NFL as a whole is a piece of poo poo to taxpayers.

Sorry your team was a dumpster fire for so long the city chose the A's instead of them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I only said that since he was bringing up a team moving while still being a fan of them to you, a person who's team moved but you're still a fan (because you're deluded). Why are we defending each other?

I hate Philip Rivers and think he's probably an abusive dad and no one knows yet. And Priest Holmes is criminally underrated and Shawne Merriman was always a dirty no talent player.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I read somewhere that the Chiefs first rounder has a weak arm but what I'm really wondering is how tiny are his hands??

You, uh, read incorrectly. He's got tons of problems but the arm very definitely isn't one.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Looked it up and apparently Mahomes hands are 9 1/4, which on the smallish size for NFL QBs. So yeah you can still laugh about that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Paperback Writer posted:

my lawyer friend thinks Conley is screwed now :ohdear:

What, Chris Conley?

I guess he's screwed if he doesn't improve some eventually but he seems fine for now. I'd be more worried if I were Demarcus Robinson.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh duh, he has been in the news hasn't he?

I was thinking of the Chesson pick for some dumb reason.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

not true at all, but okay

You warmed up to him for a while. Then the crushing weight of losing every game at the end got to you I think.

From the outside looking in Gordon was at least serviceable last season. Although in no way worth the pick.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
His old nickname was apparently The Musician I just learned, which I have no idea how I should feel about. What's the new one?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That's a...possibly likely description. Not a nickname.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sounds like Dustin Colquitt needs to give up his number in that case.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blitz7x posted:

The Chiefs window has closed tbh

Eh, it's a pretty good team. Some of this depends on Houston coming back like he should be, but I'm fairly confident.

I just realized you probably miss the old Parm. I kind of do too. Like the one where he just trashed the Raiders constantly instead of whatever he turned into.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
If I had to guess it's a little of both with Ford. He did most of his work against some truly awful RTs and most LTs are at least ok. Plus he's still learning how to do all the handfighting. To his credit he's way better than he was at first, but flipping to the other side and having that stuff be backwards probably hurt him too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/865395556750774273

This is not the greatest Chiefs gif ever like he says in some article over at arrowheadpride, but it is a pretty good gif just for all of the players reactions.

I can't decide if Colquitt dejectedly hanging his head and then running to celebrate after not once looking up is my favorite or if it's whoever the Broncos guy is who's still celebrating at the bottom.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ahaha, Jack Del Rio just wants to get to the bottom of this whole Seth Rich thing. Also is a fan of Hannity

https://twitter.com/coachdelrio/status/866873840877551620

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't think sight lines are a problem at O.Co, or at least not the main problem? Found this site that supposedly shows the view from various places, that's section 235 but I'm sure you can find the other seats you're considering.

The problems with O.Co are like...everything else.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Durandal1707 posted:

Mike Shanahan's Broncos' teams usually beat the poo poo out of the Raiders too. Though IIRC him and Davis fuckin' hated each others' when Shanahan coached the Raiders in the 80's. Spite gets you a whole lotta mileage in lfie

Yeah same deal with Marty, he just never coached in Oakland. He had a really healthy dislike of Al and the Raiders though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

And yet the Raiders went to the super bowl during his coaching career and he didn't.

I mean if you really want to revisit that super bowl appearance we can do that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

I got one but everyone made fun of me for wearing it because it had my name on the back

If your last name isn't Neal you bought the wrong fullback jersey.

e: I'm very pro-throwback jerseys in general. You already know their careers, they aren't going to leave and go play for some divisional rival making you feel like an rear end if you wear it. Plus they show you've cared for a little while.

I also own 0 jerseys. But if I did own one I'm saying.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 11, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Goddamn that's a riduculously awful read. He's got another guy who comes open a little deeper down the field way before he threw the ball too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I want to tell myself Elway actually sucks as a GM and his main successes have come from lucking into Von Miller, signing a few defensive guys, and convincing Peyton to come to Denver.

I'm not quite there yet, but I hope I will be in another year or so.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I love that the best rivalry in the NFL right now is between 2 top 5 teams , my ole boys the Chiefs and the hated, dumbass Raiders

I'm still vaguely annoyed that Ryan Succop didn't hit that meaningless field goal to make the Raiders win by one score. So I could try to keep telling myself they're just lucky and not actually good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

That's about where the Gannon hate goes I believe. I don't know, Bo was definitely the most popular Raider ever in KC. Gannon and Lynch might be a tossup for #2 amongst sane fans.

We've got a lot of dumbasses though who'd buy into national anthem stuff and the press whining about Lynch not talking to them so Gannon's probably solidly #2 overall.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 15, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blitz7x posted:

It said they were worried about a torn achilles, then a broken ankle, then a sprain

What, like "We're worried he has exploded into a million pieces. Now we're worried he just has third degree burns. Wait maybe it's a papercut?"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Mime is still that 2nd half comeback from the Peyton Manning Broncos on MNF a few years back

There are just so many to choose from. Worst day ever is like 7 years old now I think but it was so bad you'd think you could never see anything worse, and the Chargers probably have something worse happen every season.

Not as far as a single play to lose the game goes really but just stunning incompetence with huge leads. Great comebacks that inevitably fall just short for no good reason. About the only way to lose I don't think the Chargers have gotten around to yet is a kick 6?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Haha, I should have known.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I always think Jason Campbell's career is kind of sad and he could have been something with better coaching/luck. poo poo Washington years with washed up Joe Gibbs and whatever Jim Zorn was, he at least had Hue at Oakland (and those were probably his best years) but the roster was a complete mess, then he went to Chicago as a backup and Cleveland.

Like, that's a recipe to make Peyton Manning look like a poo poo quarterback.

Well that's going too far, but it's at least a recipe to ruin what might possibly have been an above average quarterback's career.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Black Sunshine posted:

I'm not complaining at all but holy poo poo how did San Diego come away with not even appearing in a single Super Bowl during the LT/Rivers/Gates era?

loving seriously...how?

Marty was under some sort of gypsy curse in the playoffs. Then the Spanoses and AJ Smith took over from there and it was...well...over.

I still think Marty is the only guy who could lose a playoff game on a play where his team comes up with a huge interception.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen but it deserves to go in this thread.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Do you think the Chargers would have beaten the Colts?

I do. That Chargers team was really loving good, defense was their weak point and the D was still pretty good. Way better than the Colts at the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I dunno. A Patriots offense featuring Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney and the ghost of Troy Brown beat the Chargers. You think the Chargers defense would have been able to handle prime Manning, Harrison, Wayne and Clark?

24 points when you're kind of gifted 7 isn't exactly the worst thing in the world. Plus that San Diego team was pretty well equipped to win a shootout.

And the Pats looked way better offensively against eventual champion Colts, who by the way were the #2 scoring offense that year. To the Chargers.

e: poo poo, 492 to 427 after checking. So the Chargers were the best scoring offense by a full 65 points over the #2 team in the league.

I guess that's nothing compared to what the Pats did the next year but they weren't hatefucking the Redskins and whoever else for petty reasons with the best offense ever. This was a Marty coached team.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 21, 2017

• Locked thread