Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It was a pretty good day in the AFC West in my personal opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yep. Always root for the team playing the loving Broncos, no exceptions ever

I disagree with this.

I will be rooting against the Broncos, I will not be rooting for anyone in that game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Are you sure about that?

Tebow's touchdown pass (with 6 men on the line!) was a loving tragedy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Sucks that there is something every other owner can do about it in my opinion.

I fondly remember the "Fire Scott Pioli" planes from a few years ago in KC.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Johnny Mnemonic posted:

Also whatever happened to that one huge chargers fan that used to post in the AFC west threads of old? He managed a nice hotel if I remember correctly.

SA2K is still around and still slightly unhinged, he's just undergone a few name changes. He's a neat cape now.

Unless there's a different big San Diego fan who worked in hotels that I'm forgetting.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The smoke isn't that bad down here today but it was awful yesterday. I doubt the NFL gives a poo poo as they already sent two teams to get lung cancer in Mexico

Is that still going to happen?

Azteca or whatever stadium had major damage from the earthquakes didn't it?

e: Yeah Estadio Azteca

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eli Wiggum posted:

Going by memory, the last few seasons the Chiefs had a 1st-round bye in the playoffs:

2003 - lost to the Colts
1997 - lost to the Broncos :grin:
1995 - lost to the Colts

You're missing a couple I believe, including last year. Maybe it's just that one?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Thursday night games are so screwy I wouldn't be surprised by anything honestly. Blowout either way or super competitive shootout or super competitive but boring 10-6 game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Peters is a really good press corner, he just likes up in an off spot because Sutton asks him too,

Helps him bait throws maybe?

I do agree he's pretty good in press man and I don't know why they don't have him do it more. Well outside of against Antonio Brown, I understand that part perfectly. Also agreed that he tackles like a man who doesn't care about getting the other guy on the ground at all.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jack Del Rio posted:

“It’s demanding for anybody that has to travel more than one time zone,” Del Rio said of Thursday night games. “We saw that first hand last year. I think it would be best if the league would stay in the same time zone for all involved. It’s tough enough to get ready on a Thursday. Obviously, we like the fact that we’re at home.”

I hadn't really thought about this but I like this idea, although it's completely impossible for KC to play a divisional opponent in their time zone which are most of the games TNF seems to schedule.

I'm surprised it came out of Jack Del Rio.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

I was wrong chiefs defense is broke and game ruled

Telling myself it's just Thursday Night football.

Well trying to tell myself that at least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

That said how about Alex Smith. 1,979 yards, 15 TD, 0 INT 120.5 passer rating on the year.

He had 15 tds all of last year.

He's likely to slow down but that puts him on pace for about 4500 passing yards, which would be around 1000 yards better than his career best.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MrLogan posted:

What about Ragland? I thought they lost someone else as well...

Nelson's the other big (?) one. He's not amazing or anything but he was the second best corner and he's out until at least week 9.

I guess maybe Tamba Hali being on the PUP list hurts if you want to count him but no one knows how much he has left in the tank. And they haven't actually activated him yet so it looks like he's going to take some time to get into game shape assuming that ever happens.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Strobe posted:

Just in time for a visit to the Chiefs on a Monday night after the Chiefs played on a Thursday. It's practically a bye week for the Chiefs.

It's nice, but I'm not doing any bragging on the Chiefs right now either.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

Gotta be better than our local poo poo. 95.7 has gotten rid of a lot of their professional talent and has basically promoted Jim Rome Smack Talk champions to on air. I'm not joking.

Jim Rome was terrible and his callers were worse, but the smack off was actually kinda fun and if I happened to turn it on today I'd probably listen to it.

Holy poo poo would I not want to listen to any of those people for more than a minute at a time though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I appreciate all of the Broncos fans :negative: posting but I still think this game will be a slog and not a blowout.

I wouldn't mind being wrong if the blowout is in the Chiefs favor of course.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Shane Ray has the Chiefs arrowhead logo tattooed on him :lol:

I am almost as conflicted about Shane Ray being a Bronco as I am about Jamaal Charles.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Neil Smith is the reason the neutral zone infraction rule exists. He wasn't a hall of famer, but getting your own rule named after you (for a not vicious reason) is a pretty cool claim to fame.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

Tommy Kelly is dead to me. I wouldn't piss on him to put out a fire.

I choose to believe Chester McGlockton wasn't before your time and you just didn't give a poo poo.

Which would make sense because holy poo poo did he not do a damned thing for the Chiefs.

e: Holy poo poo I'd completely forgotten McGlockton died a few years ago.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

I appreciate all of the Broncos fans :negative: posting but I still think this game will be a slog and not a blowout.

I wouldn't mind being wrong if the blowout is in the Chiefs favor of course.

So that was a blowout that wasn't a blowout.

Yes Denver fans, it appears you were right and Siemian really is that bad.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Croatoan posted:

Why did we get Osweiler back again? Just to bench him?

It honestly seems like a good idea to let Lynch practice for a week and throw Brock to the wolves. Or just run Siemian out there as a sacrificial lamb one more time. @Eagles is a rough first game of the season for someone who didn't manage to beat out Trevor in the preseason, Pats at home is not much more likely to be a win but it is more likely to not break Lynch's confidence.

e: and more likely to not break Lynch's bones come to think of it.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 31, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Croatoan posted:

I would honestly be stunned if Elway didn't make the decision of who the starting QB is. I mean, that's about the only call I could see him meddling in but for real. This is Elway we're talking about.

I don't think Tebow ever would have started back to back games if Elway meddled with QBs. Dude looked like he had just bitten a lemon every time they showed him in the press box during that ridiculous run.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Aaaahahahaha. Peters is 22 on the right side of the screen so you don't have to watch that super slo-mo twice.

https://twitter.com/SorenPetro/status/925366746214748160

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I don't hate him at all and hope they re-sign him for a bunch of cash when the time comes, but man is he completely allergic to contact this year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eli Wiggum posted:

Guess I confused him with another DB (Gaines?)

Oh yeah Gaines is just awful and brings nothing to the table, I think he's pretty much universally hated. I suppose he probably would have made a better effort there though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

He's doing it at away games too. Both in LA and other places

Has Spanos attempted to complain on other owners' behalf to the FAA about places that are actually big enough for the FAA to care about?

Every time I think about that story I laugh.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LiquidFriend posted:

They need a DL that can actually generate pressure and a Coordinator that doesn't play soft coverage with 3 down linemen over and over and over.

They didn't really do that this much this last game, or at least not as egregiously. They just got beat.

Which is either better or worse depending on your perspective.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

AJ Smith is available

I think the Broncos should bring in Carl Peterson for a consult on who to hire (not a GM but wasn't Carl a big part of getting Philbin to Miami?).

e: haha, yes he was.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Darnold's not looking all that great this year. There was some rumor he'd go back to school if the Browns got the first pick but I think he's just going to stay at USC anyway.

Can I interest you in a Josh Rosen?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

He's ours you fucker

That post was all about baiting you.

I don't love Rosen all that much either honestly, so it wouldn't break my heart if you got him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Durandal1707 posted:

-M. Williams is barely seeing the field because of the injury. He looked good catching that one pass for 20 yards and he'll be a solid possession guy in the future.

Said it in the GDT but Mike Williams looks bigger than he's listed on the field. I saw him catch that pass and I was like "who is this new Chargers tight end?"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

You know what Brees cares about more than all those things?

He might value his health some. Denver's offensive line against AFC West defenses is not a happy position for a quarterback to be in these days.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
We, uh, understood your point. But if there's cash to be made elsewhere that's anywhere close it might be worth his while to think about is all we're saying.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Miller and Harris are great. Who else?

Talib's still fine and pretty good as a #2 with Harris on the other side? Shane Ray has promise I guess? Derek Wolfe is pretty good.

They probably need Ray to hit as a stud (or draft someone else who does) to have a chance at keeping that defense dominant. I mean they'll still be fine, they've got a lot of good pieces. But they won't be terrifying anymore.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Fixing up an OL is a really hard thing to do these days though. No one trusts any of the college guys because of spread offenses and teams are either holding onto their own offensive linemen or they're getting ridiculous deals that would cut into that Brees money.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eli Wiggum posted:

Who's in line to succeed Brees in New Orleans? Is Chase Daniel even good?

He's amazing :allears: ... in my heart.

Chase has been training to be a quarterback coach for at least 5 years now. He'll take the backup money and go in and play if you need him to, but yeah honestly his ship has sailed.

e: yeah he's still better than the Savages of the world at least, you could do worse for a backup. Not the guy you want to build around though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

Raiders have gone to an outside zone blocking scheme which doesn't fit the personnel and is failing badly. Downing is having Dart-like growing pains. Maybe he needs some nuget.

Also, this:

https://twitter.com/mickakers/status/930994784306466816

Immediately started humming the imperial death march, so it seems fitting for the Raiders.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd say that I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed. But that would be a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

You wanna know what's trash? The Chiefs line. Both really.

That dude who makes all the gifs at arrowheadpride really had me believing Chris Jones was awesome.

Do not listen to the dude who makes all the gifs.

• Locked thread