Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I didn't realize Art Shell was altogether out of coaching for that long, I thought he was an OL coach the whole time. Joe Gibbs I should have got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

DJ I'll miss you my man. Hali...not so much.

You should miss Hali too, it isn't his fault Dorsey signed him to a ridiculous contract when he was already mostly done. He was the lone bright spot as far as pass rushing goes on defense for a few years there.

DJ apparently wants to coach I remember reading last year, I wonder if they'll find a place for him on the staff.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LiquidFriend posted:

I'm honestly at a loss of words as to why. Dumbest Defensive Coordinator I've seen since Greg Robinson.

Now now I wouldn't compare him to Robins...only playoff win is in Texas...

Hmm.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Black Sunshine posted:

There's a good chance it all fails spectacularly but after watching the press conference...it just feels good. Yeah he's getting a dumptruck full of money but I believed him when he said he never wanted to leave and talked about how much he loves the city, franchise, fans and all things Raiders. It just felt really cool seeing him up there like that.

I mean, I have some bad news.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jack Del Huevos posted:

you mean the 2 years in Oakland before they move to LV that he talked about in the press conference?

Which city does he love then?

(It's Gruden, I already know he loves both)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Your Arrowhead Pride feature fanpost discussion since I glanced at it this morning:

Joel Lanning is worth a late draft pick, both as a #3 quarterback and linebacker and safety depth. Also Lamar Jackson might fall to the 6th round and be worth a pick. Or not, he's probably not worth drafting and you should go for JT Barrett instead.

This has been your arrowheadpride featured fanpost and discussion update.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Check out the end zone view:

https://twitter.com/MattVerderame/status/950834501504131077

And one second after the snap

https://twitter.com/MattVerderame/status/950834982976655360

Although this is only one play, we could find a bunch of the same goddamned thing that happened the entire season if we wanted to. And Sutton is not getting fired because....

e: Haha, God bless Terrance Mitchell doing whatever he's doing trying to get past the left tackle there

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 25, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Rams Chiefs in Mexico next year

Rams giving up the home game I hope?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

The story of him openly fighting with Dave Toub on the team bus in front of everyone is not like, a fictional story.

Neither is the discipline he faced for that and the reports that his attitude was great from then on.

It's a terrible move.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Good. It's about time Chiefs fans experience a little turmoil. It builds character

:raise:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Rumors that Peters got in a fight with his mom in the locker room that turned into a shoving match

From what I can tell this is sourced more poorly than your average Ole Miss/Mississippi State recruiting slapfight.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Sir, it is a known fact that a tire fire is worse than a dumpster fire.

I won't be happy until the Broncos are a coal seam fire and Denver has to be abandoned like that town in Pennsylvania.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Let's hope they do and Crabtree goes and sucks up someone else's cap

Crabtree to the Seahawks in division with Sherman and Talib again would be the funniest place for him to end up.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

If Kansas wins it all I'm gonna make a bundle.

I don't have anything against you really, but I do hope your wallet will be empty.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Best FA signing in years imho

It allows the Kelce/King feud to continue in division so I'll allow it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Happy with KCs draft so far, all defense as it should be

I mean, if you have needs everywhere it's easy to find someone who fills a need.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I’m not very familiar with Speaks and he seems like a reach but the cover linebacker we took in the 3rd is a perfect fit, no more Daniel Sorenson whiffing on tackles as a dime Lb

I wrote up longer thoughts in the draftermath thread but from what Reid and others are saying they see Speaks developing into Tamba #2, which while being unrealistic it's also like...no pressure kid! NFL.com's profile of him has a much less exciting comp of a completely different type of player: Ricky Jean-Francois.

It sounds like you've got the plan for O'Daniel down but he's going to make the team and be around for a while on special teams even if he never sees the field on defense.

e: meaning because he's really really good at special teams, not just because that's where mid round picks you want to keep on the roster end up.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 28, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Gritty are you as sad as I am about Terez leaving the KC Star

Yeah I'm sad to see him go, he seemed really good at the job. Of course...

LiquidFriend posted:

Nobody worth a heck covers KC sports for long.

This is also very true.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

See also: Donnie Edwards wearing red and white

See also see also: Donnie Edwards in a Chargers jersey (he was ours first and I still miss him :()

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

quote:

Johnson says when he met with Gruden — although he spoke with other clubs, the Raiders were the only team to have him in for a visit

Mild is one way to say it. Tepid might be another.

You're also putting a lot of stock into some stats that I don't believe tell the whole story re: coverage. Like I said somewhere else, DJ's mind is still fine and he knows more about linebacking than almost anyone. His body just won't let him do it well anymore. I guess we'll see, I don't want to root against him but...I just don't think there's anything left in the tank.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

if only Mario

I know this is a typo/autocorrect, but now I want a Super Mario game where he bombs passes off of goomba heads.

Afterbirth Aftermath posted:

Marino had Mark Clayton and Duper, and had a consistently better line, and always a better defense until the right at the end.

I don't think this part is true at all. I mean Denver had the #1 scoring defense and #3 defense in yards before they got blown up by the 49ers in Elways 3rd loss. Plus they just generally seemed to be better than the Dolphins D for a whole lot of years in there.

e: Plus you're a Broncos fan, you should by hyping up the three amigos vs the Marks brothers here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

How in the world did you come across this?

I also don't think Marino's line was better and was probably worse thinking back. There's no real statistical way to figure it out that I know, I just remember Marino constantly instantly releasing the ball with a guy in his face and Elway would run around a bunch.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

Agreed and let me be clear. I hate the Broncos and I hate Elway but I'm the old dude that saw all these guys play. Marino was a beautiful pure passer but Elway would find a way to win in big moments every time. That defense was atrocious and their run game was bad.

The run game was bad, the defense was often good and at least a couple of times very good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

Yep. Giving up 39, 42 and 55 points is "good" and/or "very good"

There are, in fact, games played in the year that are not the Super Bowl.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh God I just learned that Latroy Hawkins is Patrick Mahomes godfather. :rip: 4th quarter comebacks

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Posting this here just because I know it will annoy kiimo.

quote:

Drew Lock, senior quarterback, Missouri

He reminds me of: I see a lot of similarities to Patrick Mahomes when he was coming out of Texas Tech. Both guys have big arms and move around really well. They can extend plays with their athleticism and fit balls into tiny windows. However, like Mahomes, Lock needs to be more judicious with the football and cut down on the mistakes that are a result of overaggressiveness.

For what it's worth the only real similarities I see between the two are they both like to throw deep. Lock's arm is fine and just based on strength could be an NFL arm easily enough, but it isn't in Mahomes league. And the decision making even compared to Mahomes at Tech under constant pressure seems way worse.

He'll likely be drafted though, whether it's mid-late rounds or earlyish depends on a whole lot of stuff to come.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 21, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

I’ve been waiting my whole life to overhype a QB. I’m happy even if he spectacularly fails because they actually tried

I've been the lowest Chiefs fan here on Mahomes just since I think he'll struggle early since damned near all young quarterbacks do (Christ if I said that at Arrowhead pride or somewhere they'd kill me). But if he never does another thing in the NFL he's already a success since I'll never have to hear that "Todd Blackledge is the last Chiefs' drafted quarterback to win an NFL game" again.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

piss tape israel posted:

it's gonna own when chubb and miller make mahomes look like tyler thigpen

Tyler Thigpen was somehow not the main problem with that particular team. Craziest coaching job I've ever seen because lord was he untalented and bad.

Well also craziest lovely roster and coaching everywhere else I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Also I just reminded myself that Arizona State hired Herm Edwards, who then complained about the Devils nickname and didn't understand what a modern jersey looks like and man I can't wait.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Black Sunshine posted:

dude was amazing and I loved watching him play

I was pissed when he was waiting to get into the hall and I have absolutely no love for the Raiders.

In a way his career is even more impressive if you think of what he might have done on offense if Al didn't force him to keep returning punts for like 15 seasons or however long it was. A man's gotta rest a little.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh, huh. The main Chiefs gif guy at Arrowheadpride got a job at the Athletic. Good for him, but now all our gifs are behind a paywall. Where will the poor downtrodden Chiefs fans find the new Mahomes gifs to post on every page?!

(I think he puts them all on twitter anyway)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Raku posted:

are they waiting for andy to go to the bathroom to call all these deep passes or what

Are you familiar with the quarterback he's had for the last 5 years at all?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Raku posted:

Yeah he's the one that was dropping all those gorgeous deep bombs last year until the coaches stopped calling them

If it didn't take him four years to get the gently caress over the first 7 of his career and start throwing deep we might not have the current situation.

I'm also not sure if the play calling changed that much or if it was just Alex feeling the phantom rush. Because man it feels like he did that a lot toward the end of the season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

But losing to Alex Smith dink and dunk scramble bullshit is infuriating

Game 1 of 2016 might have been a new low for your personal hell of Charger's game ones against Kansas City. Which is actually pretty impressive considering.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
For some reason I didn't think worst game ever was the first week? Maybe it was. Was it the same game this came from?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

cavallingus posted:

Alex Smith is trash

He's not trash, but man Alex was the guy who could get you to a position where it was really really painful for him to not be quite good enough.

And he was singularly unlucky in getting to that position and balling out a couple of times while the entire team crumbled around him like the Indy playoff game. Hell in San Francisco he goes to a Super Bowl if Ted Ginn of all people is available for the NFC Championship.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't know if it's like this in every camp but 'carted off the field' often means nothing for the Chiefs. I mean it's not good but it could be someone tweaked their ankle very slightly and it's no problem but the training facilities are so far away from the practice field that everyone who gets anything gets a cart ride over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I only mention it because it seems like it kept coming up for years.

I remember some lineman sprained a finger one year that they wanted to check out to make sure it wasn't broken, which ended up with fans in a small panic for a day because it was reported as the guy being carted off.

• Locked thread