Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

I haven't been paying attention to Denver. Is Paxton Lynch starting or does Siemian still have that job?

Official word is, it's a Competition. (i would bet on siemian)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

DrunkPanda posted:

You know what I don't understand? I don't understand why John Elway apparently hated Tim Tebow..... but then he went ahead and drafted Tim Tebow last season and will not stop insisting that he is our future?

Elway's track record of high draft picks on the offensive side of the ball is...not good.
2011-2: Orlando Franklin
2012-2: Brock Osweiler
2012-3: Ronnie Hillman
2013-2: Montee Ball
2014-2: Cody Latimer
2014-3: Michael Schofield
2015-2: Ty Sambrailo
2015-3: Jeff Heuerman
2016-1: Paxton Lynch
2017-1: Garret Bolles
2017-3: Carlos Henderson

Bolles is the starting LT, but it remains to be seen if he'll develop; Henderson is on IR for an injury that will heal before the season is out; they're taking advantage of IR to use his roster spot for someone else.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

I want to tell myself Elway actually sucks as a GM and his main successes have come from lucking into Von Miller, signing a few defensive guys, and convincing Peyton to come to Denver.

I'm not quite there yet, but I hope I will be in another year or so.

His defensive drafting acumen has been pretty decent (the 2012 draft in particular is probably the best in team history), he managed to extend a few great players for far less than they are worth, and his discount rate (i.e. trading future value for present value, or vice versa) has been pretty neutral and rational. He tends to stick with players he drafted for a little too long after they are demonstrably bad (the Brock re-signing is arguably evidence of this, and Rahim Moore and Ronnie Hillman lasted at least a year longer than they should have). I'd still call him above average, but he's ultimately going to fail if he can't figure out how to draft offensive talent.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Elway went and visited the Idaho Potato Bowl to watch this year's unproductive tall white QB prospect, Josh Allen. Allen threw 3 TD passes in the first quarter against a team that ended up with 8 turnovers. The broncos are doomed

• Locked thread