Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I know people are quick to defend Smith and i've done so in the past, but I dunno how anybody can watch that game and not realize that he left at least a good 14 points on the field if he bothers to see Hill downfield instead of fleeing the pocket or turtle-ing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Pagano is a good developer of LB talent - which he proved across several different coaching regimes - but Raider fans ought to hope that he doesn't get promoted to DC.

It's not a bad hire though. plus he gets to stick it to the Chargers twice a season, so there's that.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

I look forward to everyone on the Raiders defense standing around and letting Chargers receivers catch the ball before attempting to tackle, and going into prevent in the last minute of the third quarter

Good thing they have an offense that can average 27 a game, cuz they'll need it

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

The Chargers had a pretty solid draft. Mike Williams will have immediate impact, and getting Lamp in the second round was great. Feeney was also a good pickup. Keep Rivers upright.

I really like the pick of Desmond King. We needed more upgrades to our secondary.

I agree, though I would've taken a DE earlier than they did. Still, the offensive line's been a problem for years and on paper they've added at least one starter on that line, possibly two depending on how things shake out with Franklin, and it takes pressure off Rivers for a couple of reasons:

-they can actually lean on running the ball up the middle without Fluker/Franklin whiffing their assignments/getting overpowered
-in theory they'll actually keep him upright, which I can't say about any o-line the Chargers have fielded since like 2013 if not earlier.

I don't think they'll win the west but they look like a more competitive team with what they've added than last season, but we'll see as always.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

warcrimes posted:

To me there wasn't a better natural blend of BPA and need than Malik Hooker to the Chargers. Glad y'all didn't pull the trigger on that one.

I agree that he probably would've been the best fit for the Chargers on both those counts. However, the thing about the Chargers is that they place an odd sort of value on safeties - they gave Addae a fairly hefty extension and they took a pair of safeties in the middle rounds, but for the most part the guys they've had since Weddle left (who they forced out dickishly) were Dwight Lowery and a lot of low-paid UDFA types. In fairness I still do really believe in Dexter McCoil as an in the box SS/LB hybrid instead of the single high they tried playing him as for most of last year, but for the most part they believe they can get by without paying safeties a lot or using high picks on either position.

I don't necessarily agree with that philosophy, mind you, but it's the explanation i've got given Telesco's track record with the team, especially since Weddle left.

Also this is probably hot take-y but i'm legit kind of worried that Patrick Mahomes is going to be a really good QB. Yeah his footwork's a total mess and he needs a lot of work.. but Andy Reid is incredibly good at molding QBs. McNabb was great for a long time, and QBs as different as Mike Vick and A. Smith have had their best seasons under him. He made McNabb's backups constantly NOT look like trash when he got hurt as well. The Chiefs are honestly going to be pretty loving scary if Mahomes sits down for the year and they let Smith play out his contract and have him take over in 2018.

Be sure to quote this post in a couple years if he ends up being total trash though lol

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Gordon wasn't worth the tradeup but he was quite a bit better last year. More decisive in hitting the hole, less dump tap dancing in the backfield. This in spite of the fact that the Chargers interior o-line last year was absolute garbage except for Slauson. He also showed a lot of growth as a receiving option and in pass pro.

He'll probably have a big season if he stays healthy since the Chargers might actually have an o-line that can run block worth a poo poo this season. It does irritate me a little that they didn't use a mid/late rounder on a legit backup RB 'cause I don't think Farrow or Oliver are the guys that can split the load with him.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

I am wondering how Tuerk is developing. I was excited at that pick last year.

Same here. He redshirted last year because of his knee so he should in theory be good to go.

Lynn's offense values linemen who can pull and get to the second level in the run game and the possibilities Tuerk would bring as a center are exciting 'cause the Chargers haven't had a center who could get to the second level or pull out for a screen in quite a while. I'd be excited if the Chargers starting o-line next year read as Okung - Slauson - Tuerk - Lamp - Barksdale.

Alternately i'd be comfortable rolling with either rookie at the guard spots and Slauson as the C if Tuerk still isn't ready.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

Yo gently caress the Spanos family

Forever and ever, amen

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Flores is criminally underrated for winning two SBs coaching the Raiders in the 80's.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

He's no Marty Schottenheimer

Mike Shanahan's Broncos' teams usually beat the poo poo out of the Raiders too. Though IIRC him and Davis fuckin' hated each others' when Shanahan coached the Raiders in the 80's. Spite gets you a whole lotta mileage in lfie

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Marty's thing toward the Raiders is that they were always very talented, but their lack of discipline and carelessness always costed them against teams with a similar level of talent but also played in a more disciplined, detail-oriented fashion. It's why his Chiefs and Chargers teams had ridiculous W/L records against them.

Ironically the "talented but fucks themselves over due to stupid mistakes"is basically the bulk of the Chargers' history when they've been contenders, so whatev.

Durandal1707 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 5, 2017

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Rich Gannon threw five TDs in that game, shame like 3 of them went to the opposing team

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

If your last name isn't Neal you bought the wrong fullback jersey.

e: I'm very pro-throwback jerseys in general. You already know their careers, they aren't going to leave and go play for some divisional rival making you feel like an rear end if you wear it. Plus they show you've cared for a little while.

Throwback jerseys own. I have an '84 Fouts throwback that's really nice even though I barely wear it when it isn't football season.

The only other jersey i'd get is an LdT throwback like this one:

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Nah.

They smoke meth, good sir.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Tbh Lynch struck me as a QB that Denver took just 'cause Manning retired and they needed a QB, not because he's good. His throwing motion is slow and he's really inaccurate so I dunno what else is there. Maybe he turns it around, I dunno.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Tuerk was sort of disappointing before the suspension - he looked like the athletic center the Chargers needed, basically redshirted 2016 to get healthy from his knee injury and hadn't looked impressive in training camp and preseason. He's not a super strong dude and he struggled snapping the ball. I'm still fairly confident the IOL of Slauson/Pulley/either Feeney or Wiggins will be competent though. (Pulley has looked very, very good this year after being a UDFA last season, i'm excited for him)

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

Who's gonna win?

I'm gonna say the Chargers by three or so. Denver has a somewhat depleted front 7 going into this game and they're going to want to both pound the rock and protect Rivers. Broncos' o-line is better this year but not impressive and the Chargers' d-line can put some heat on the QB. If they can get pressure on Siemian up the middle. Verrett and Heyward can handle the Denver WRs well enough.

I'm thinking something like 20-17. Be sure to quote this when/if they choke hard :V

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

gently caress Denver now and always

Aaaaaamen

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The ending to Saints/Chargers last year is still some of the dumbest bullshit i've ever put up with from that team.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

Mime is still that 2nd half comeback from the Peyton Manning Broncos on MNF a few years back

That game sucked out loving loud. I remember that o-line just completely collapsing the second Denver's defense realized the Chargers weren't really a threat to run the ball.\

I guess the Saints one is worse for me because they had that game completely in hand before they gave the Saints two quick TDs, so it was more sudden. whereas the Broncos one was just a half-long demolition once they got their poo poo together.

I also want to point out that i'd totally rather have Jay Ajayi than Gordon right now. I was high on him because Lynn's done good work with the run game of other teams, but holy poo poo he's just terrible right now.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
^ Try as you might you'll never wash 13-0 off ya, my good sir.

a neat cape posted:

So you're saying I was right.

I'll take it.

Ha, yeah i'll admit it. He's playing worse than he did when he was a rookie and the Chargers do have a more talented line now than two years ago. So i've no interest in making excuses for him. They need a back in rounds 2-4 in the worst way in the upcoming draft.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Yeah, Shanahan's problem was that he couldn't talent that well in the draft and he never seemed to realize it. As a coach he was always good and his offenses produced but sucking at drafting got him fired at Denver and Washington. Mind you, everything the Redskins touch turns to poo poo at some point so maybe he was always doomed or something.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Chargers haven't beaten the Chiefs since Reid's first year there. I'd be stunned if they did anything.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The Chargers used to give the Manning Colts fits because they matched up perfectly against them, pretty much. On offense you have an o-line who's main speciality was run blocking and just physically outmuscling most front 7s for LdT, and Indy always run undersized defenses based on speed because they want to get the ball back in Manning's hands as soon as possible. Defensively they were big and nasty on d-line - Jamal Williams was one of the best noses in the league, Castillo and Olshansky were solid 3-4 ends - and fast and athletic at outside rusher between Merriman/Phillips. Donnie Edwards was great at coverage and Randall Godfrey was a vicious run thumper.

I mean the Colts lost in '07 and '08 against essentially weaker versions of those Chargers teams - with the caveat that Rivers and other players like Vincent Jackson, Malcom Floyd etc got significant better in '08. So even with Bob Sanders, i'd still say the Colts would've gotten thumped.

The real AFCCG that year should've been a Baltimore/SD rematch at Qualcomm anyway.

Black Sunshine posted:

“Anytime I get the ball I am going to try and score regardless," said McCree. "Troy Brown stripped it. He made a great play, and I was trying to make a big play. (In) hindsight I don't regret it because I would never try and just go down on the (ground). I want to score.”

Hahahahahahahaha

McCree was the dumbest piece of poo poo to ever wear a Charger uniform. gently caress that guy.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Yeah Cro didn't do anything in '06. I forget if he was recovering from the knee injury from college or if he wasn't far enough along crack the corner rotation yet.

He was weird in SD, had the mega-interception season in '07 and generally spent a lotta time sucking. His problem was that the Chargers mainly played zone under Fat Ted and Ron Rivera and he wasn't a zone corner at all. He didn't have a huge INT season after 07 but he generally got a lot better after the Chargers traded him to New York.

I remember the offense playing like poo poo in the '07 regular season game, basically. That's why that game was close.

Durandal1707 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 23, 2017

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
That sucks. He's a game changer when he's healthy but he's essentially lost two seasons in a row to knee injuries.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Eli Wiggum posted:

I wonder if Spanos really gives a poo poo or is just willfully obtuse about the Chargers being a horrible draw in LA

The latter. He's apparently bitched and whined about San Diego fans being "disloyal" despite the fact he took the team out of that town and pissed on it on the way out. Basically,

kiimo posted:

Spanos is Trump.

Except less competent. the mind reels at it.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

kiimo posted:

Amari Cooper has been shut down because cornerbacks have figured out to jam him at the line of scrimmage.

This is bad because no way Peters jams anybody, he likes contact less than Deion Sanders.

So, the new age Asante Samuel then?

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

Helps him bait throws maybe?

This is pretty much why I made the Samuel comparison, though Asante was smaller and faster. Still, Peters reminds me a lot of him because he has really good hands for his position and he's great at reading both the QB and where the WR is going to break so he can jump the route. The downside is that you can bait those CBs out of position if the QB is disciplined enough.

a neat cape posted:

I miss Quentin Jammer

I do too. He was underappreciated for a long time as a cover guy - he did pretty well against Randy Moss a few times - and he was always a sure, strong tackler. I've never really gotten why the Chargers let him leave for Denver when IIRC he wanted to stay and play SS since his long speed was cooked.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I think KC wins this one comfortably. Raiders look discombobulated right now and the Chiefs have had their number for a couple years now.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

Life is good for a week

Fuckin' A.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

SHOAH NUFF posted:

For the first couple of weeks the Broncos looked amazing. I guess the whole division looked good. Now the Chargers are somehow playing the best football in the division

the main reason is that the coaching staff has done a fairly decent job of sussing out what the team's strengths are and they're playing to them.

Earlier this year they kept trying to run right and use a lot of pulls/traps and it wasn't working out because Slauson just wasn't athletic enough for it to work. After a few weeks they reassessed it, started running behind the left half of the line (Okung's been very good for us this season) and went to a more simple man/zone run scheme because they didn't have the horses to do all of the athletic perimeter run stuff Lynn wanted to do, and it's had pretty decent success since. The defense has been radically improved since earlier in the year - they were blowing tackles left and right, and while they're still missing them, they're playing more disciplined and have been gang tackling the poo poo out of ball carriers since probably the Giants game.

Bosa and Ingram's, alongside Darius Philon and Chris McCain, have formed a terrifying pass rush and it's covered up a lot of issues on defense. The Chargers' safeties really blow and their LBs outside of Jatavis Brown aren't special at all; they really need Perryman back, but they've thrived because most QBs haven't had the time to get the ball off against them. They held both KC and New England to 24 and 21 points respectively, when they're probably two of the best offenses in the league.

The offense has some major issues though. I'm pretty much done with having Whisenhunt as the OC - he just has no feel for whenever something is working in a game, like throwing on 3rd and less than 5 when your RB ended up averaging something like 9 yards a pop, running a Wildcat play against literally the Patriots, etc. They've played very good defenses this year but their receivers outside of Keenan and Hunter Henry (who he kept in to chip even though the Patriots' pass rush is pretty lovely) just aren't producing. They're still trying to run the same offense they did last year, albeit a more run-oriented version (and with a better offensive line) and it's not fooling anyone anymore.

I still do think despite that and their talent deficiencies, they're probably going 8-8-ish. They've already showed more growth this season than they did under the last few years of McCoy's tenure and their pass rush is a lot of fun to watch. Which is all I asked for from this this year.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
^ Elway apparently really wanted Joseph for the Broncos job back after he fired John Fox in 2015 but IIRC, he was on the Bengals at the time and Cinci didn't want to let him go. So he brought his old buddies Kubiak and Wade back. As for why he let Wade leave, probably because he wanted to let Joseph pick and choose his own staff. (though in retrospect he probably would've benefitted keeping Wade at least a year longer)

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The Jags have an excellent defense, but man, our wideouts suck this year aside for Keenan.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Somebody go put a picture of Tyrell Williams on a carton of milk 'cause he disappeared this year

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I still stand by Tyrell having the much higher ceiling, but yeah, as of right now you're correct.

All of the WRs on this team except for Keenan are really bad right now.

-T. Williams isn't a physical dude so despite his big frame he gets shut down by super physical CBs and the Jags have 'em.
-Benjamin is frustrating because he has all world speed but he abhors contact and he's not a very good route runner.
-M. Williams is barely seeing the field because of the injury. He looked good catching that one pass for 20 yards and he'll be a solid possession guy in the future.

They just really need somebody aside for Keenan to step up and make a play and none of 'em are doing it right now.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

aperion posted:

Mike McCoy, Ken Whisenhunt, Bill Musgrave, all these lovely rear end OCs need to go.

Musgrave coaches the QB for Denver now, I believe.

I've said it in the coaching thread but i'd totally be fine with Whisenhunt getting fired after this season. Just doesn't have much of a feel for what works for the team and what doesn't. The Chargers have issues at WR but he barely uses Hunter Henry - who's the best TE on the roster at this point (I love Gates and I always will, but he's done) - and there's been a ton of communication issues between him and Rivers this year. Lynn and him are trying to forcefeed the run on first down, but the team doesn't have the talent to play Marty/Boss Ross Ball so it isn't really working out. Call a loving play action pass on first down once in a while, jesus.

Anyway i'd totally be fine with him being gone.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

Kansas City not doing well on this list either, and Denver's pretty middling.

Way to go San Diego Chargers with your suddenly terrifying pass rush though.

Bosa's been even better in his second season and as Ross said, Ingram's played even better after getting his big contract than he was before. He might have already beaten his career best in sacks this season. Should also be mentioned that Chris McCain has been an important situational piece for the Chargers since they picked him up - they sub him in on 3rd and longs and he's cleaned up after Ingram/Bosa get home. This is easily the best pass rush the Chargers have had since 2006-ish and i'm thrilled to have after years of Pagano's useless poo poo. Gus Bradley might've been an all-time bust of a HC, but I love what he's done for this defense.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The rematch with the Chiefs is the game that concerns me the most. Reid's owned the Chargers for the last three years and Rivers has his worst games against them in that same time frame for whatever reason. Arrowhead is really loving hard to play in. But on the other hand, they're really floundering right now and the Chargers' D made it real hard for them even in the first match up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

kiimo posted:

They usually don't give offenses who put up 7 passing yards in a half nicknames.

But they should. Like The Run and Gun Your Girlfriend, Then Yourself.

:wow:

• Locked thread