Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

kiimo posted:

You wanna know what's trash? The Chiefs line. Both really.
Tbh I thought the OLine, sans LG (Ehringer must have the plague), did fine.

Run blocking was a tad iffy, but that's expected when teams sell out to stop the run because nobody fears the bad QB.

Pass protection was mostly good and Alex is just a chode. Had around 5 seconds a lot of the time and was tap dancing around over a 3 man rush.

At some point we have to just acknowledge the QB sucks rear end.

I think the last month has turned me back to PB mode about Alex, again. Get him the gently caress off the field.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

kiimo posted:

And the defensive line coach Britt Reid.

Awkward family reunions.
I thought he did a fairly decent job last year, all things considered. This year has been rough, but Bailey is toast and Logan isn't the same so I'll give him a pass for now.

Now as for Bob Sutton, Andy Heck and Emmitt Thomas...it's time for all of them to go.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Are you just a little nervous KC fans
About what? Oh no, you guys might rob us of one and done.

It would guarantee Alex Smith is forever gone and well that would be a great thing.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Alex Smith is Ebola

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Strobe posted:

Butker broke the Chiefs' consecutive FG made record today. So there's that, at least. :shobon:
What a great pick up by Veach.

So I assume the Paxton Lynch era is permanently over?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I'm just reading some articles and sitting here bemused thinking back to the time when Alex Smith was the leading MVP candidate.

For that matter part of his competition was Kareem Hunt, although I don't think Kareem's problems are as much about him as they are about Alex and the line.
I don't think the line a huge problem, outside of the tirefire at LG (I have no loving idea why Ehringer is being a healthy scratch) and the dumb poo poo coaching from Andy Heck.

They will suddenly look a hell lot better as a group once Andy starts a QB that Defenses are actually scared of beating them deep.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I don't think it's the main problem, but Eric Fisher has disappointed/regressed. He wasn't a worldbeater but he looked like he was trending into a better player before this year. They were also injured for a few weeks there with Morse and LDT out, but both are back now and here we are. Schwartz has been consistently good from what I can tell.

I don't get the Ehinger thing either, it makes me wonder if he's not all the way back or if he lost aggressiveness or something.

I get that you're mostly pinning things on Alex, and to a decently large extent I agree. But Fish especially could be better.
We can definitely agree there. Fisher isn't a very good LT and I'd like to see them work towards upgrading from him once they get the Defense squared away and find a flanker that can move the chains.

Andy Heck needs to absolutely go and that's the first and most important step. He's awful.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

2017 was simply a throw away for Andy Reid. He knew the roster had a lot of garbage and has a lot of stability with a new extension and a loyal boss to make this season a redshirt affair.

I don't see Mahomes playing at all this year because Andy just doesn't care about veering from his plan.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I can sit through 5 more weeks of dink and dunk to make sure Alex Smith is gone forever.

I want zero doubt.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I would kill for some dink and dunk right now

I don't know what to call the post-bye offense. I think it 3 and outed 7 straight times in the first half of the Bills game?
He's his usual dink and dunk self. We've seen this kind of poo poo performance from him over his entire stay.

This is nothing new and partly why I never understood why people were dying to white knight him.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Volkerball posted:

AFC championship game at StubHub, broncos finish last, raiders and chiefs fight for 3rd? I'm cool with that.
Would be rad to see the building filled with Ravens fans.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I never have really cared much for Conley, after his strong run blocking.

Robinson and Tyreek Hill will be a good combo and I think they can be set a WR for years if they spent some money to land Jarvis Landry.

Ragland is looking better if he can shake off the wear and tear. A future QB and starting ILB for just a couple of choices? Thanks Buffalo-mart!

The biggest things I see will be filling esge-rushing and LG, since it seems Ehringer has super aids and can't play again.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I've been pretty consistent with my dislike of Conley from nearly the start. I see Robinson just flat out getting open with talent and Conley mostly lucked into it because he gets lost by Defenders. Both are typically ignored by Alex.

I think Tanoh is an ideal Elephant rusher, but I'd like to see another pure edge guy. This is a role they might be able to fill in FA.

Mitchell doesn't have ideal ball skills to be a starting CB and they need to draft a new starter.

I'd stack needs on D at:
DL (I dislike Bailey and Logan)
CB (Need an actual 2....maybe Revis is better again?)
OLB At least one more edge rusher
ILB if they can't keep KPL

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 28, 2017

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Leave it to the Chiefs to insist that the bad gameplan Jets win that game. No matter what.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

He expected Kelce to cut inside I think but it doesn't matter. Letting the game get to a point where you're in position to lose to the Jets (just like letting the game get to a point where you're in position to lose to the Bills, or :stonk: Giants) means you've had a really loving bad day of football.

Alex was actually fine today, maybe largely because the Jets are idiots and let him go back to what was working early in the season.
It's like the Jets just went to IHOP all week and didn't bother to watch any Chiefs film. They somehow still won lol

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

An awful convient excuse for Andy when the Chiefs lose Sunday.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I'd guess the corners will be Revis and Mitchell? I'd start the hell out of Carr.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

That was a garbage performance by Carr.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

The Chiefs are gonna piss pound the Chargers on SundaySaturday because it's destiny to lose in the first round of playoff football.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 12, 2017

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Biggest issue for Los Diego will be the Jaguars have nothing to play for and will rest all the starters.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Is it possible if the Jags lose today and next week for KC to get a 3 seed? I almost hope not, if there's nothing to play for we should get some Mahomes time next week and you still have to go to New England even in a fantasy world where the Chiefs are Super Bowl challengers.
Only chance KC had for 3 was Tennessee winning the AFC South, which of course is not happening.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Clark Hunt just screams "mega douche"
Not sure how you'd see that from a Yale graduate that worked at Goldman Sachs and was handed the reigns to a billion dollar franchise.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Intruder posted:

Congrats KC fans

The streak is over
It's a great day and the Chiefs have a very bright future.

Leave Tyler Bray at a bus station though, holy poo poo.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah I'm very much most worried about the Chargers in the AFC West for the next 2 years at least, which is very much not the way I expected to feel back in say, October.
I'm not. Lynn is a mediocre coach and they coasted mostly off a very good pass-rushing duo.

KC will continue to have a coaching advantage and will have one down year tops. If Gruden goes to Oakland they will have that one year window in 2018.

I really do think the Chiefs are on track to dominate the West.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Mahomes looks super promising. He has such a different play style than Alex Smith. Very slowed down and calm when pressured, always looking downfield
I liked that he instantly shook off the INT and kept going, and managed to come back off the bench to seal the win.

Multiple long drives starting inside the ten and throwing past the sticks for the first. Finally we might have a real QB.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Zerilan posted:

How long was that streak.
30 years

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

warcrimes posted:

Actually his system is pretty simple and having Gruden and Gannon mentor Carr is something I'm down for. I'm worried about what's going to happen with McKenzie. Not really confident in Gruden's talent evaluation although he will attract some quality FO/coaches.

As for this season, go Chefs! I guess.

I just don't see what a concussed guy that has been in the booth for 15 years, with no coaching experience, is going to do for Carr.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Jack Del Huevos posted:

how about as someone who has played professionally for 18 years and had his greatest success under gruden's system?
Sounds like a pretty good player, but I don't know how that means they will be a good coach.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I think I'd want a strong veteran coach that can grab his attention over a mumbling concussed former player that has no coaching experience.

Gannon is a cool guy to bring in and consult with him, but making him a coach sounds like a way to sell tickets.

I'd feel the same way if KC were looking to make Trent Green anything more than an asst. to start.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

warcrimes posted:

Cool, thanks for your input
No problem guy, anytime.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I think anything less than making it to the AFC Championship gets Alex a guaranteed exit.

50/50 if they make it and it'll be a near lock he comes back if they make it to the Super Bowl.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

If the chiefs make the superbowl Alex is 100% back. I'm not convinced he's gone even if they lose Saturday
I think he's 100% gone if they can't better the 2016 result as they will start to gut a good handful of vets and rebuild. Refusing to commit to Alex beyond 2017 said enough.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Uterine Lineup posted:

Which teams would realistically trade a 1st round pick for Smith?
Outside of maybe Jacksonville, I don't think anyone would.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Croatoan posted:

Let's look at the majority of the 00's. :emo:
Must be really tough having to recall multiple playoff seasons, an AFC Championship appearance and years of the coolest QB.

You poor thing.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

They were gonna get rolled in Pittsburgh or NE next week.

This just guarantees that Alex Smith is gone and god willing, Bob Sutton is fired.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

kiimo posted:

I'd been avoiding this thread. Now I know why.

:suicide:
You can't help but laugh.

I'm just glad this strongly closes the book on Alex Smith foe good.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

kiimo posted:

Yep. The villagers are restless and demand blood and I think Alex is the first to fall and Sutton the second.

People saying Eric Biennemy is in line to be OC and I kind of hate that. The only experience he has was at Colorado and they were abysmal during that time.

Dee Ford is going to need to figure something else out, too. Cutting him saves 8.1m and zero dead money. We kind of need him though. Houston should restructure too.

DJ I'll miss you my man. Hali...not so much.

Reggie Ragland was the trade of the year. A 2019 7th rounder for the guy who led us in tackling Saturday.
Was actually a 4th rounder, but still a bargain.

I don't think the OC matters because realistically it will still be Reid. Problem right now is they are too thin with candidates since Chilly retired. I anticipate he's going to load up with a fresh set of assistants this year, including Vick.

Ford and Hali are absolutely gone. DJ might return at a much lower amount.

Think it's a 50/50 on Allen Bailey and Ron Parker.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I think 2018 can finally be the Chargers year if they do everything right. If not, it'll be the Raiders year.

KC will take a step back before they go forward.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I don't exactly know why, but I just don't like Melvin Gordon. I think the Chargers could use someone like Nick Chubb to really push that Offense forward.

Getting Lamp in the line up will be a nice boost.

Defensively they need to really keep Gus Bradley and it doesn't seem likely? Player wise they need a bit more talent at LB and a pocket collapser inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

As long as Bob Sutton is the Chiefs DC the division will be up for grabs, doesn't matter if Mahomes is Aaron Rodgers 2.0

Why is Bob Sutton still employed?
I'm honestly at a loss of words as to why. Dumbest Defensive Coordinator I've seen since Greg Robinson.

• Locked thread