Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks to everyone who donated so far. We're at $145 for anyone who's keeping track. I'm going to donate some more soon, and I plan on contacting the campaign to just give a heads up at some point that people here helped. As far as I can tell, there's still not an actual date for the election, but I'm pretty sure it legally can't be past past the first week of March or so. I'll update the original post when there's an actual date.

tmesis posted:

Alright i put down money, god knows my state's unicameral isn't going democrat any decade soon
How much? I'd like to add it to the total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pueidist
Jan 18, 2004

8-bit retirement home
i hope new england goe red in 2020

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pueidist posted:

i hope new england goe red in 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTJWLVdoa1c

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

gently caress it why not

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
wait hold on I am a US citizen of the sovereign republic of Delaware. How do I stop this madness?

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm

Nichael posted:

Thanks to everyone who donated so far. We're at $145 for anyone who's keeping track. I'm going to donate some more soon, and I plan on contacting the campaign to just give a heads up at some point that people here helped. As far as I can tell, there's still not an actual date for the election, but I'm pretty sure it legally can't be past past the first week of March or so. I'll update the original post when there's an actual date.

How much? I'd like to add it to the total.

$15, plus dad jokes puts you at $360

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sorry, I didn't check on this thread in the past day and to my surprise I found this:

Dad Jokes posted:

gently caress it why not

Woah, thank you so much. That's amazing. As someone who you may have helped save from living under the rule of the MAGA thumb, I'm eternally grateful.

Asproigerosis posted:

wait hold on I am a US citizen of the sovereign republic of Delaware. How do I stop this madness?
The best way is actually not giving money, it's volunteering. I know the campaign is doing a lot of door to door stuff this weekend, especially after this morning fundraiser. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go to the end of that to help with door to door stuff again. Think you're interested in going?

Also, I donated another $15 tonight so the total is $375. That's way more than I thought I'd be able to get for her. Thanks to everyone so far.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 01:13 on Jan 25, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm glad that she's knocking on doors, it's the most effective thing you can do on a campaign. you'd be surprised how much face-to-face contact matters

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dad Jokes posted:

gently caress it why not

Dad Jokes...always cool

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

donated mostly because of the bad posting itt

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

i'm glad that she's knocking on doors, it's the most effective thing you can do on a campaign. you'd be surprised how much face-to-face contact matters
The campaign's been pretty aggressive about going door to door. I've only gone once but I plan to help out again this weekend. Like I said, if anyone here is close by, it's probably better to volunteer than donate. Plus, it's kind of fun.

Zikan posted:

donated mostly because of the bad posting itt

$475. Another huge donation, thank you. I'm going to email the campaign later tonight to say that we raised quite a bit of money for them so far.

Edit: There's an actual date now.

quote:

For those who haven't seen news just yet, the special election has been scheduled and will be held on Saturday, February 25.
I am relieved we finally have a date. It's the number one question I get on doorsteps all across the district and I'm so glad I can finally answer it with certainty. Since I entered this race in December, my focus has been on building bridges and bringing hope to voters after a divisive and ugly national political battle that has rattled our communities. I will spend each and every day between now and February 25 sharing my vision for creating new jobs, expanding addiction treatment, protecting seniors and keeping taxes low for working families.
The outpouring of support in the first month of this campaign has been overwhelming, but it's this last month that is critical as to whether we'll be to make all our momentum count. Please join me!

Nichael has issued a correction as of 01:21 on Jan 25, 2017

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
so

whadda ya think nichael?

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
very well, I will donate $25 because then it'll be 500 one sec

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
alright I did it but jfc you couldn't have made it any harder for me to find the link

https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/friends-for-hansen-1

can you please just put this at the top of your op please for christ sakes man seo synergy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I threw in $10. I know it's not a lot, but it's something.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Al! posted:

so

whadda ya think nichael?

It's beautiful. Truly beautiful... But in retrospect, are we sure that vomit isn't Pence's fetish like pee is Donald's? :ohdear:

rabble rabble posted:

alright I did it but jfc you couldn't have made it any harder for me to find the link

can you please just put this at the top of your op please for christ sakes man seo synergy

Good idea, done.

$510! And even $1 is fine. I'm shocked you guys gave this much because I feel like Delaware is just about the furthest thing from anyone's mind-unless you're a shady corporate finance guy looking for any loophole possible.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
As a safer blue state (MD) I salute your efforts. $25 off to Ms Hansen

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
A+ op a thread well done 🇺🇸

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

told one of my coworkers about this, emailed them the link and the OP rewritten to be SFW, and they said they would donate

can't get a screenshot obviously but it shows that people outside of this dying comedy forum care! tell your friends! the OP slightly tweaked is actually pretty good in explaining why this is important!

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Zikan posted:

told one of my coworkers about this, emailed them the link and the OP rewritten to be SFW, and they said they would donate

can't get a screenshot obviously but it shows that people outside of this dying comedy forum care! tell your friends! the OP slightly tweaked is actually pretty good in explaining why this is important!

Do you have that SFW version still handy?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

ElegantFugue posted:

Do you have that SFW version still handy?

here's the email i sent

quote:

Here is some information from my friend who lives in Delaware:

If the Democrats lose the special election (scheduled for Saturday, February 25th) for our 10th Senate District, our 21 member senate will flip over to the Republicans for the first time in 44 years (and with an odd number of seats, the tie breaking vote of our Democratic Lieutenant Governor is effectively useless). Since 2008, Republican membership in our state senate has increased by 66% (from six seats to ten). The nationwide crisis in effective left messaging has made this a common phenomenon, and Republicans know all too well just how important it is that they capitalize on the Democratic party's failings at the local level. That is why they're flying Vice President Pence out to campaign here for the Republican challenger in the special election, and are said to be having Donald Trump record robocalls on the candidate's behalf

Delaware's Democratic controlled government accomplished quite a bit with our previous governor, Jack Markell. A few highlights were marijuana being decriminalized with a system put in place for medical usage of it, our minimum wage increased, protective legislation against LGBT discrimination was passed, curbside recycling was implemented, and various measures were adopted to promote green energy. Things weren't perfect, but we should all know by now that with Republicans in charge (or simply obstructing the will of the people as they are wont to do), things will get worse rapidly, and in ways previously never thought possible.

The Republicans have chosen John Marino. At first glance, he may seem inoffensive, but dig a little deeper and you'll find things like "A parent has the natural right to remove their child from any test or school activity -- anytime, anywhere," (a great policy if you want even more students who have zero sex education, believe the Earth is 6,000 years old, and think sexual assault is totally copacetic) and his outrage that Democrats in the state have "restor[ed] voting rights to felons" (felons being unable to vote is just one of many ways the Republicans are going about systematically disenfranchising large swathes of our population).

The Democrats, in contrast have picked environmental attorney and single mother, Stephanie Hansen. I know many of you are wary of settling for the traditional type of Democrat in the wake of Trump, but Hansen seems to get what issues are most salient. In this twenty minute interview with her, Hansen discusses a variety of topics, but what really sums up the interview for me is this quote from her:

quote:

"If you’ve ever thought about getting involved in a political election, now is the time. If you’ve got progressive ideas – if you are for pay equity, you are for pro-environmental positions, you are for gender equality, now is the time. Because those values are under attack."

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Zikan posted:

Thanks, kind of. I only wrote it as I did because my audience is a bunch of depressed, leftist degenerates. If it was a more broad group, I'd take out the casual profanity (maybe).

Do you happen to know how much they donated or plan to donate? Just as a metric to see how effective this is, I like to keep track.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Jan 25, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I put in $100

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Lemming posted:

I put in $100

Thank you! Updating the original post to reflect the $635 total.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Zikan posted:

here's the email i sent

Thank you. As a government employee, I'm not sure how much I'm actually allowed to do without breaking laws. I'll check around tomorrow at work, but I think I'll be able to donate but not physically support the GOTV stuff. Either way, I have some relatives in that district who I very much think would be interested in supporting the cause.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ElegantFugue posted:

Thank you. As a government employee, I'm not sure how much I'm actually allowed to do without breaking laws. I'll check around tomorrow at work, but I think I'll be able to donate but not physically support the GOTV stuff. Either way, I have some relatives in that district who I very much think would be interested in supporting the cause.

That would be amazing if they showed up.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Gave $10.

kyberkatze
Jan 13, 2004

All this and the power of toast!

You make a good argument, as does she.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Lurker chipping in for the cause

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Let's do this.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm volunteering to go door to door again tomorrow at 2 PM. Door to door stuff is always fun because the vast majority of the time people don't answer. Democracy inaction!

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

My family definitely sounded like they were planning to vote, but I don't think I talked any of them into doing more than putting up yard signs. So I did this because screw Republicans.

I live here and would be very happy if my state government could not turn red, both to work against stupidity from the national level and to just plain prevent them from rendering our state government non-functional.

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys
OP, THANK YOU for this thread! I live in Wilmington and just sent $20 to Stephanie Hansen's campaign. Hope she wins! I may be able to knock on some doors as well, we'll see.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The DNC is pulling out the big guns for Hansen, including rallies with Diamond Joe himself

https://twitter.com/PoliticoKevin/status/831633660898111489

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I have never been to delaware but this seems like a big deal so i'm throwing what little i can give to try to keep our dying country alive a little longer

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

pre-op bebop posted:

OP, THANK YOU for this thread! I live in Wilmington and just sent $20 to Stephanie Hansen's campaign. Hope she wins! I may be able to knock on some doors as well, we'll see.
No problem. It's replies like this that make me feel good having made the thread in the first place. When activity dropped off for a while I didn't really want to force the issue as I thought it'd come off as awkward, so thanks for the encouragement. That's also why I didn't reply to your post for four days; I shamefully didn't see it until just now as I hadn't checked, figuring it was inactive. I actually contacted the campaign twice to see if they could give me a message to pass along to this thread, in an effort to revitalize it, but I think that idea got lost in the chaos of such a short campaign.

I'll be canvassing for a third time on the 18th I believe. You should definitely go if you can, it's pretty fun.

HorseRenoir posted:

The DNC is pulling out the big guns for Hansen, including rallies with Diamond Joe himself

https://twitter.com/PoliticoKevin/status/831633660898111489
I saw this, it's great that they're maybe starting to take these "small" races seriously to stop the electoral hemorrhaging.

Andrei Dorkovsky posted:

I have never been to delaware but this seems like a big deal so i'm throwing what little i can give to try to keep our dying country alive a little longer
Thank you!

ElegantFugue posted:

My family definitely sounded like they were planning to vote, but I don't think I talked any of them into doing more than putting up yard signs. So I did this because screw Republicans.

I live here and would be very happy if my state government could not turn red, both to work against stupidity from the national level and to just plain prevent them from rendering our state government non-functional.
Thank you, that donation was massive and brings us to $1073. Actual volunteering is admittedly a major hassle for many people, so I don't blame them for not wanting to do more. It's cool they're going to vote and put up signs though.

And yes, a Republican controlled senate would absolutely result in national-style obstructionism in Delaware. It'd be a major breakthrough for the GOP.

Also, I never actually got my gang tag applied. I should really do that.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 06:54 on Feb 16, 2017

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

By the way, here's where you can sign up to volunteer specifically for this Saturday. Pretty sure I'm doing Newark at 10 AM unless anything changes between now and then.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Not as much as I'd like, but better this than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Office Pig posted:

Not as much as I'd like, but better this than nothing.

Another massive donation. That's way more than nothing. You're helping me out by keeping my state from devolving into MAGA insanity; I am extremely grateful.

• Locked thread