Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

February 25th 2017 Update:
SHE WON.

And she outperformed Hall-Long who ran as a Democratic incumbent for the same seat in 2014. Thank you so much for donating to Hansen and helping keep Delaware MAGA free. I'm truly grateful.

This is admittedly a small victory against the Republicans, but it's an important one. Hopefully it's the start of many more. I firmly believe we should continue to work together in small and big ways to help causes like this in the future.

https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/friends-for-hansen-1

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/757637611775229952

If you don't want to read all this, just skip to the bottom

Since 2009, Democrats have sat idly by as state legislatures and governor offices have fallen, one after another, to the much better organized Republicans. Democrats seem to just not care about this ongoing issue, and as a result, the party hemorrhaged 910 state legislature seats in eight years. Today, just twelve states have a Democratic controlled legislature, and of those states, only five have a Democratic governor as well. Up until just a few days ago, Delaware was one of those select five. Now however, that's in jeopardy as a special election is about to be held to replace the resigning senator from our 10th district.

Why You Should Care
If the Democrats lose the special election (scheduled for Saturday, February 25th) for our 10th Senate District, our 21 member senate will flip over to the Republicans for the first time in 44 years (and with an odd number of seats, the tie breaking vote of our Democratic Lieutenant Governor is effectively useless). Since 2008, Republican membership in our state senate has increased by 66% (from six seats to ten). The nationwide crisis in effective left messaging has made this a common phenomenon, and Republicans know all too well just how important it is that they capitalize on the Democratic party's failings at the local level. That is why they're flying Vice President Pence out to campaign here for the Republican challenger in the special election, and are said to be having Donald Trump record robocalls on the candidate's behalf. Republicans don't loving mess around. They see an opportunity for yet another state senate, and throw everything at it. This is a MAGA uprising in a state that hasn't voted for a Republican president since 1988. It's happening where I live, and if it isn't stopped in its tracks, it could very well come to your "safe" state next.

(Pictured: Vice President Pence [left] en route to Delaware, as a LGBT youth looks upwards in quiet horror)

Delaware's Democratic controlled government accomplished quite a bit with our previous governor, Jack Markell. A few highlights were marijuana being decriminalized with a system put in place for medical usage of it, our minimum wage increased, protective legislation against LGBT discrimination was passed, curbside recycling was implemented, and various measures were adopted to promote green energy. Things weren't perfect, but we should all know by now that with Republicans in charge (or simply obstructing the will of the people as they are wont to do), poo poo will get worse rapidly, and in ways previously never thought possible.

Who's Running
The Republicans have chosen John Marino. At first glance, he may seem inoffensive, but dig a little deeper and you'll find things like "A parent has the natural right to remove their child from any test or school activity -- anytime, anywhere," (a great policy if you want even more students who have zero sex education, believe the Earth is 6,000 years old, and think grabbing pussy is totally copacetic) and his outrage that Democrats in the state have "restor[ed] voting rights to felons" (felons being unable to vote is just one of many ways the Republicans are going about systematically disenfranchising large swathes of our population).

The Democrats, in contrast have picked environmental attorney and single mother, Stephanie Hansen. I know many of you are wary of settling for the traditional type of Democrat in the wake of Trump, but Hansen seems to get what issues are most salient. In this twenty minute interview with her, Hansen discusses a variety of topics, but what really sums up the interview for me is this quote from her:

quote:

If you’ve ever thought about getting involved in a political election, now is the time. If you’ve got progressive ideas – if you are for pay equity, you are for pro-environmental positions, you are for gender equality, now is the time. Because those values are under attack.

Perhaps what is most terrifying in that interview is it seems Republicans have started to use misinformation and lies to dissuade Democrats from turning out for her. In this segment of the interview, Hansen says that in order to bring the "Republican agenda into our living room", they have begun calling likely Democratic voters and lying to them saying that she is not pro-choice. It's the typical Republican playbook of deceit, cons, and MAGA bullshit happening at a micro level.

How You Can Help
If you're still with me after all of that, it's pretty simple how you can help. Go to her website, click "CONTRIBUTE", and donate whatever you can. If you're nearby (even if out of state), volunteer to go door to door or call for her. Out of inspiration from the RAINN fundraiser, I asked the ever talented Al! if he would design gang tags for people who donate to this. This being Delaware, however, he was kind of at a loss of ideas of what the gang tags could be, so if anyone has any suggestions for that, that's a way to help as well. The special election for our tenth senate district is Saturday, February 25th, so there's plenty of time to donate or volunteer.

If you do donate, please post in this thread with a screenshot of confirmation that you did, as well as stating the amount, so I have an idea of how well this works, and so if gang tags are made, they can be distributed.

It Doesn't Have to Stop Here
Donate or not, you might be thinking "Yeah, but that's Delaware, who cares? No one even lives there." That's why I am completely on board for this RAINN styled drive to be replicated again for your own local issues. If you can think of any that need help, please, post about them. Tell everyone. Change things.

IF YOU IGNORED LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE, READ THIS
Senator Sanders and Representative Ellison both agree that poo poo doesn't get done unless you work at it from the bottom up. Delaware is about to lose its state senate to the Republicans for the first time in 44 years, in a special election (Saturday, February 25th). The Republicans want it so much that they are sending Pence, as well as having MechaTrump make robocalls, so that they can enact their awful agenda in yet another state. If you are at all inspired by Sanders and Ellison, donate whatever you can to the Democratic state senate campaign of Stephanie Hansen and maybe get a gang tag out of it eventually. If you donate, please post proof and the amount in this thread.

January 22nd, 2017 Update:

Nichael posted:

Thanks to everyone who donated so far. We're at $145 for anyone who's keeping track. I'm going to donate some more soon, and I plan on contacting the campaign to just give a heads up at some point that people here helped. As far as I can tell, there's still not an actual date for the election, but I'm pretty sure it legally can't be past past the first week of March or so. I'll update the original post when there's an actual date.

January 24th 2017 Update:
Still no actual date as far as I can tell. If anyone is nearby this weekend, the campaign will be doing a lot of door to door volunteering after this event. I'm pretty sure I'll be there if you want to see what a C-SPAM jerk looks like in real life.

The total is at $375 mostly thanks to Dad Jokes who is going to be highlighted in the original post now for being a generally cool dude.

Dad Jokes posted:

gently caress it why not

January 24th 2017 Update 2:
We're at $475 now, and the election has an actual date, February 25th.

January 25th 2017 Update:
$535 and a gangtag from Al:

If you've donated and want the tag, just say so somewhere in the thread.

Also, keep bad posting for more money!

Zikan posted:

donated mostly because of the bad posting itt

rabble rabble posted:

A+ op a thread well done 🇺🇸

February 16th Update:
First, I want to point out a huge donation from ElegantFugue:

ElegantFugue posted:

My family definitely sounded like they were planning to vote, but I don't think I talked any of them into doing more than putting up yard signs. So I did this because screw Republicans.

I live here and would be very happy if my state government could not turn red, both to work against stupidity from the national level and to just plain prevent them from rendering our state government non-functional.

Second, there's only nine days until the election. Get last minute donations in now before another MAGA-geddon occurs.

Another objectively cool and/or good person made donation:

Office Pig posted:

Not as much as I'd like, but better this than nothing.

Total So Far: $1,423

Nichael has issued a correction as of 03:32 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I donated $10 as well as went door to door.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm not a huge fan of Delaware's politics as they are, but on this, the day of the inauguration of Donald Trump as President of the United States, I am fully cognizant that things can get much worse (and almost certainly will). And after watching the interview with Hansen that I linked, she seems like a genuine woman, who's in general consensus with most people I see here, so I wouldn't consider this a "lesser of two evils" situation either.

Jose posted:

lol at how unbelievable poo poo the democrats have been at winning elections

Help fix it. Really, the donations are secondary to just being involved and doing things physically. If you're not near here, find something near you. I only bring up donating as much as I do in the original post because I obviously don't expect a ton of people to be willing to come here and volunteer.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 12:12 on Jan 20, 2017

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm not disagreeing with you. The only way people can hope to fix things is by participating however.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

That's the story of how everyone came to Delaware.

Delaware aside though, it's not about this state specifically. It's is a broad and incredibly pressing concern that the Democrats have been pushed out of nearly every conceivable metric of governance. This is one small way to fix that.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

i think republicans only need to win control of one more state before they can start changing the constitution, so put aside some cynicism for a second. i'm flat broke though so i can't give
That's a good point that I didn't address. I mean, it's fine to be cynical and point out the flaws of the Democratic establishment, but I know this can get so much worse than it currently is.

Donkwich posted:

Where the gently caress is Biden in all this
No idea. Pence is coming, Biden is somewhere? I heard he bought a house in DC so maybe he's forsaken Delaware.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 06:21 on Jan 21, 2017

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks to everyone who donated so far. We're at $145 for anyone who's keeping track. I'm going to donate some more soon, and I plan on contacting the campaign to just give a heads up at some point that people here helped. As far as I can tell, there's still not an actual date for the election, but I'm pretty sure it legally can't be past past the first week of March or so. I'll update the original post when there's an actual date.

tmesis posted:

Alright i put down money, god knows my state's unicameral isn't going democrat any decade soon
How much? I'd like to add it to the total.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sorry, I didn't check on this thread in the past day and to my surprise I found this:

Dad Jokes posted:

gently caress it why not

Woah, thank you so much. That's amazing. As someone who you may have helped save from living under the rule of the MAGA thumb, I'm eternally grateful.

Asproigerosis posted:

wait hold on I am a US citizen of the sovereign republic of Delaware. How do I stop this madness?
The best way is actually not giving money, it's volunteering. I know the campaign is doing a lot of door to door stuff this weekend, especially after this morning fundraiser. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go to the end of that to help with door to door stuff again. Think you're interested in going?

Also, I donated another $15 tonight so the total is $375. That's way more than I thought I'd be able to get for her. Thanks to everyone so far.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 01:13 on Jan 25, 2017

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i'm glad that she's knocking on doors, it's the most effective thing you can do on a campaign. you'd be surprised how much face-to-face contact matters
The campaign's been pretty aggressive about going door to door. I've only gone once but I plan to help out again this weekend. Like I said, if anyone here is close by, it's probably better to volunteer than donate. Plus, it's kind of fun.

Zikan posted:

donated mostly because of the bad posting itt

$475. Another huge donation, thank you. I'm going to email the campaign later tonight to say that we raised quite a bit of money for them so far.

Edit: There's an actual date now.

quote:

For those who haven't seen news just yet, the special election has been scheduled and will be held on Saturday, February 25.
I am relieved we finally have a date. It's the number one question I get on doorsteps all across the district and I'm so glad I can finally answer it with certainty. Since I entered this race in December, my focus has been on building bridges and bringing hope to voters after a divisive and ugly national political battle that has rattled our communities. I will spend each and every day between now and February 25 sharing my vision for creating new jobs, expanding addiction treatment, protecting seniors and keeping taxes low for working families.
The outpouring of support in the first month of this campaign has been overwhelming, but it's this last month that is critical as to whether we'll be to make all our momentum count. Please join me!

Nichael has issued a correction as of 01:21 on Jan 25, 2017

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Al! posted:

so

whadda ya think nichael?

It's beautiful. Truly beautiful... But in retrospect, are we sure that vomit isn't Pence's fetish like pee is Donald's? :ohdear:

rabble rabble posted:

alright I did it but jfc you couldn't have made it any harder for me to find the link

https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/friends-for-hansen-1

can you please just put this at the top of your op please for christ sakes man seo synergy

Good idea, done.

$510! And even $1 is fine. I'm shocked you guys gave this much because I feel like Delaware is just about the furthest thing from anyone's mind-unless you're a shady corporate finance guy looking for any loophole possible.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Zikan posted:

told one of my coworkers about this, emailed them the link and the OP rewritten to be SFW, and they said they would donate

can't get a screenshot obviously but it shows that people outside of this dying comedy forum care! tell your friends! the OP slightly tweaked is actually pretty good in explaining why this is important!

Thanks, kind of. I only wrote it as I did because my audience is a bunch of depressed, leftist degenerates. If it was a more broad group, I'd take out the casual profanity (maybe).

Do you happen to know how much they donated or plan to donate? Just as a metric to see how effective this is, I like to keep track.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Jan 25, 2017

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Lemming posted:

I put in $100

Thank you! Updating the original post to reflect the $635 total.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ElegantFugue posted:

Thank you. As a government employee, I'm not sure how much I'm actually allowed to do without breaking laws. I'll check around tomorrow at work, but I think I'll be able to donate but not physically support the GOTV stuff. Either way, I have some relatives in that district who I very much think would be interested in supporting the cause.

That would be amazing if they showed up.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm volunteering to go door to door again tomorrow at 2 PM. Door to door stuff is always fun because the vast majority of the time people don't answer. Democracy inaction!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

pre-op bebop posted:

OP, THANK YOU for this thread! I live in Wilmington and just sent $20 to Stephanie Hansen's campaign. Hope she wins! I may be able to knock on some doors as well, we'll see.
No problem. It's replies like this that make me feel good having made the thread in the first place. When activity dropped off for a while I didn't really want to force the issue as I thought it'd come off as awkward, so thanks for the encouragement. That's also why I didn't reply to your post for four days; I shamefully didn't see it until just now as I hadn't checked, figuring it was inactive. I actually contacted the campaign twice to see if they could give me a message to pass along to this thread, in an effort to revitalize it, but I think that idea got lost in the chaos of such a short campaign.

I'll be canvassing for a third time on the 18th I believe. You should definitely go if you can, it's pretty fun.

HorseRenoir posted:

The DNC is pulling out the big guns for Hansen, including rallies with Diamond Joe himself

https://twitter.com/PoliticoKevin/status/831633660898111489
I saw this, it's great that they're maybe starting to take these "small" races seriously to stop the electoral hemorrhaging.

Andrei Dorkovsky posted:

I have never been to delaware but this seems like a big deal so i'm throwing what little i can give to try to keep our dying country alive a little longer
Thank you!

ElegantFugue posted:

My family definitely sounded like they were planning to vote, but I don't think I talked any of them into doing more than putting up yard signs. So I did this because screw Republicans.

I live here and would be very happy if my state government could not turn red, both to work against stupidity from the national level and to just plain prevent them from rendering our state government non-functional.
Thank you, that donation was massive and brings us to $1073. Actual volunteering is admittedly a major hassle for many people, so I don't blame them for not wanting to do more. It's cool they're going to vote and put up signs though.

And yes, a Republican controlled senate would absolutely result in national-style obstructionism in Delaware. It'd be a major breakthrough for the GOP.

Also, I never actually got my gang tag applied. I should really do that.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 06:54 on Feb 16, 2017

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

By the way, here's where you can sign up to volunteer specifically for this Saturday. Pretty sure I'm doing Newark at 10 AM unless anything changes between now and then.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Office Pig posted:

Not as much as I'd like, but better this than nothing.

Another massive donation. That's way more than nothing. You're helping me out by keeping my state from devolving into MAGA insanity; I am extremely grateful.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Yo this is super hosed up, I actually live in this area of delaware (not in district 10 itself but in the townsend area just south of it) and I've seen literally zero coverage of this around. I can't donate much and I don't have time to canvas because of work, but I'll try to spread the word to my friends who live in the district 10 area.

Gracias tovarisch.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i got invited to a phonebank to help out this race next week, but it's on Thursday night and i have a class at the same time. otherwise i'd definitely be there making some phones ring
Go door to door tomorrow or Sunday if you can. Door to door is more effective, and I think it's fun.

The Kingfish posted:

If the DNC flushes this money down the toilet I will join the GOP and start working for good on the inside of a party that is completely worthless.
:yeah:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I donated to John Marino :twisted:

I'm sure the Russians are very grateful!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I did 80 houses today, split between two neighborhoods. The second neighborhood was the same one I did a month ago. I have to be honest, the signs (literal signs, in fact-there were a ton of signs out for the competition) compared to last month were not good. The response rate was lower, and of those who did talk, a few were outright belligerent. One guy even said he was "armed and not interested", which a first for me. Normally people politely refuse; this "second amendment person" implicitly threatened me (kind of like his president did to Clinton).

Of course, the majority of people were nice. However, judging by some of the responses I got, the overall lack of participation compared to a little while ago, and the amount of signs for the GOP challenger, I'm concerned. I'm by no means discouraging donating but I have to reiterate that I think volunteering for Hansen (and other local Democrats) is much more important.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 00:56 on Feb 19, 2017

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Office Pig posted:

I can phone bank, but living in Texas I don't know if there's much more I can do besides that and provide more donations. Happy to be wrong here, though.
Those are both great ways to help if you don't live here. I just meant people in the general Delaware/Philly area should definitely try to come out in the last week and help.

And like I said a few times, this is not just a DE thing. I'm sure there's good people in Texas you can work with.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I was just about to post this.

efb?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Election's in less than 24 hours. Hopefully things work out.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ElegantFugue posted:

Maybe some sort of general actual-real-life-campaigning thread is in order?
I said it in the original post, we should have near-constant threads like this detailing local political events so as to help in some small way. I didn't actually know about the Connecticut election until just now, which is a shame because we really should've had something explaining that situation as well.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Shao821 posted:

Are you telling me the great corporate tax haven of Delaware might go R? Oh my stars and garters
I've said it like fifty times in this thread. Things can always get worse. We literally have a Nazi who is addicted to Russian urine in the White House. Things can get worse.

NGDBSS posted:

I saw redneck nazgul's gang tag and inquired about it, so here I am. I live in a different state senate district - thanks, redistricting, for putting me in the same one as Newark despite living NE of the city - but figured that I should donate.

As long as you've donated and told a moderator, you should be able to get a gang tag. Maybe after the election if anyone wants them they can just continue donating to other good causes, but I don't really have any ideas beyond the continual RAINN and ACLU drives.

Alter Ego posted:

Any indications as to which way this race will go?
I have no idea.

Andrei Dorkovsky posted:

im illiterate and have already exhausted everything i know about those races, but i'd read the gently caress out of a 2017 election thread
I would too, but I do think having threads dedicating to very specific elections and events is better than a general one.

Also, looks like we raised $1,423 in total, which is way more than I ever anticipated. Nice job C-SPAM.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It just dawned on me, C-SPAM was responsible for generating 0.5% of the Hansen campaign's donations. Our local paper says she raised $251,525 and $1,423 came from a dead gay comedy forum. I think that's kind of impressive.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

guys let's hold off on making any assumptions until the results from Broward County come in!!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I take .5% credit for this.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Andrei Dorkovsky posted:

cspam needs to get their poo poo together if the DNC chair election is gonna get the milk flowin but an actual democrat whoopin an rear end goes unnoticed
Agreed. Plus this is going much better than I anticipated. I'm about as happy as I can be in the wake of the MAGApocalypse.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm pretty shocked so many people voted for her after I went canvassing. I know that if some creepy C-SPAM dude with a jewfro came to my door repeatedly, I'd probably vote Republican out of spite.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

She won.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Dayum. Now to see how I can help replicate these results in MA...

Make a thread.
:justpost:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ElegantFugue posted:

Holy poo poo, I wasn't actually sure we'd pull it off. I was expecting everything to suck forever, not just most things :stare:
I am very thankful that my family will not live in a district represented by a republican, and also that this state is not yet turbofucked.

Judging solely by last week, I kind of expected to lose. There were a lot of Marino signs in what should've been a liberal area.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

~yard signs don't vote~
Somehow they did in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.

Is this election going unbreak my brain? Let's find out!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

To everyone celebrating:this was triage, nothing more.

Go and have a beer or whatever, but the fighting has just started.

No poo poo, I'm under no impression that everything is honky-dory now. poo poo's hosed, and will continue to be for a long, long time (Donald or no Donald). However, there is nothing wrong in taking pleasure from small victories.

Plus:

Schnorkles posted:

turnout tonight was real high folks.

that's a real good thing.

Turnout really was pretty insane today. It was a special election for a state senator. It had no right to attract this much energy and yet it did. That's a great sign.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I'm glad that my tiny mangled micropenis of a state didn't become a falling Domino for maga chuds
:same: tovarisch

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

financially racist posted:

it'd be rad if this is a sign of things to come in 2018
Hopefully it is but people have to actually vote.

it's vastly important that another state legislature didn't swing to the Republicans, because if they get enough they can defile the very constitution that they pretend to worship. but i agree, we gotta keep fighting, and elect not just democrats, but actually good, non-corporate democrats
Republicans are still dangerously close to literally being able to rewrite the Constitution unilaterally. It's insane that it's gotten this bad, and yet I know it can get so much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Best Giraffe posted:

im glad that your awful state did not get even more awful

:same:

Venuz Patrol posted:

there's several more in 2017 to look forward to. The next super high profile election is for tom price's old seat in georgia in april. price won election there in 2016 by a huge margin, but he was an incumbent and people seem to be a big fan of one of the democratic contenders, Jon Ossoff, so it's been getting attention and resources that it wouldn't normally. That'll be the first major test of "can we win seats we thought of as safely conservative and ignored in previous years"
Any Georgians want to make a thread for this? Hell, maybe I will if I read up on it.

• Locked thread