Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Stellaris is a 4x Space Strategy Game developed by Paradox, who are usually best known for their historical grand strategy games, such as Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Victoria, and Crusader Kings. Instead of taking a historical approach, this quite obviously delves into sci-fi territory, where your horrible xenophobic murder geckos can enslave, massacre, and genocide adorable space butterflies, all while a variety of other factions do their own things in their corners of the galaxy until you come across them.

Although the game received a quite poor rep at release for being rather feature-poor (much to the surprise of no one who has ever played a Paradox game), it has improved drastically with a number of content patches (also much to the surprise of no one who has ever played a Paradox game), and even now, it is continuously being worked on and improved, not only by Paradox themselves, but also by a variety of modders that have expanded the basic game to great lengths.

Features:

- Customizable Space Nations: Make Space Great Again with a number of different races, ranging from.....

Space Mammals, to....

Space Geckos, to......

Space Cthulhus!

Your specific species can be customized utilizing Ethics and Traits. The best way to describe these is that Ethics are what your people believe in and are governed by, and Traits are the genetic hallmarks of your species. As the Ethics system is due for a major overhaul in the next patch which is coming soon, there is little point to going into the ethics at the moment. Traits can range from anything from your species being extraordinarily long lived, or slow breeding, or super-intelligent, or solitary loners.

- Ship Designer: The ship designer allows you to customize how your ships are built, and allows for a range of different weaponry to be mounted on ships ranging from Corvettes all the way up to Battleships, with corresponding increases in firepower, armor, and specialty with each ship class.

- A Variety of Events: These can range from the mundane, like finding out that a gas giant was actually just a very barren dusty wasteland, to discovering that the planet you just settled is totally groovy man, ignore the addictive substance in the air.

DLCs (Free or Otherwise):

- Plantoids Species Pack: Lets you play as plants. Adds plantoid portraits, ships, cities, and names. Generally agreed to not be worth spending full price on, and definitely not necessary for enjoying the game, as it adds no new events, features, or anything other than cosmetic stuff.

guys what do i do with my hands, help

- Leviathans Story Pack: Adds a bunch of neat stuff, like giant space monsters, and a variety of events to spice up gameplay.

The Enigmatic Fortress. So enigmatic, in fact, that I recommend you find out what it does in game yourself!

A Space Dragon. It vomits lasers.

- Horizon Signal: Written by Alexis Kennedy, better known for his fantastic work on Fallen London and Sunless Sea, this is an event chain that is better experienced than told about. You can access the chain through entering black hole systems with a science ship.
WHAT WAS, WILL BE; WHAT WILL BE, WAS

Kitchner posted:

What is the state of the game?

People keep asking "Is this game good yet?". The long answer is that it's definitely a fun game, and if you're a huge sci fi nerd and like other Paradox games, this is definitely something to put on your wish list. The core game is fun, though still really being developed to find a solid direction and feel (yes I know it's released already but that's not how things are done in Sweden), and there are enough mods to keep yourself amused playing it for a long time. Like a fine wine, this game will continue to improve as long as the devs keep churning out good patches and DLC, and the promising total conversion mods don't become vapourware and get finished being fleshed out.

However, in this post-Trump world we have very little time to read long answers (as we are all watching Twitter to signal the start of WW3) and thus I have produced a handy chart you can refer to for the short answer below:

* Star Citizen in Chris Robert's Coke Addled Brain
* Best Empire Space Game of Our Generation
* You Better Just Be Reading This Post While Stellaris Downloads
* On Sale, Off Sales, Just Buy It
* A Fun Game, Featuring: Some Issues <------ CURRENT STATE OF THE GAME
* Meh, OK I Guess
* I Wish I Got It On Steam Sale
* I Wish I Refunded It
* Star Citizen in Reality

Mods:

There are quite a lot of mods on the Workshop, that range everywhere from total conversions, such as the Star Trek mod, to minor gameplay adjustments, to UI overhauls, to adding your favorite Space Nazis from Mobile Suit Gundam.

Zakus Included, Warcrimes and Colony Drops Optional.

Lum_ posted:

Big List O' Mods!

All of these mods work with the current version, though they may flag as being outdated.

Total Conversions
Star Trek: New Horizons - turns Stellaris into a Star Trek grand strategy game. Many game systems are changed, and by default you play in an 'accurate' galaxy map (Earth is near the Vulcans, the Borg are eating their half of the map, etc.) With the current version you can start as Enterprise-era United Earth and form the Federation through events dynamically. Includes pretty much everything you'd think of in a Star Trek game.
Eve Online: Horizons - turns Stellaris into a grand strategy version of Eve. Includes all the faction ships and all those fiddly components you remember. Mittens not included.
Star Wars: A Galaxy Divided - turns Stellaris into Stellaris Of The Old Republic (aka Star Wars but thousands of years before the movies)

Big Ol Gameplay Mods
Alphamod - probably the most popular "moah stuff" mod
Combo Modpack - "Lum_, I don't like installing mods and worrying if they still work!" Install this one. It adds a ton of stuff (including most of the ones below) and in some cases the compiler fixes them so they work together/are updated.

New Stuff To Break Your Game
Fallen Empires Expanded - not enough ancient empires to push your face in? Add more! With new types including everyone's favorite antagonists the Humans. Also with the option for YOU to start on completely overpowered initial setups like ringworlds so you can compete.
Stellaris Zero - really ambitious attempt to add factions and politics because I guess the author just couldn't wait for the upcoming 1.5 patch. It makes games amusingly broken with every empire fracturing into squabbling single-world principalities, but that may be your thing!
Networked AI - another "I CAN'T WAIT FOR A 1.5 FEATURE!!1!" mod, this adds playable robots as a race. Purge the flesh, meatbags.
No Clustered Starts - tired of starting next to slavering militarists curbstomping you just when you get your first colony out? This mod enforces a nice distance between everyone. Note: have clustered starts ON when this mod is active to use; I know that makes no sense but that's how it works!
Call of Cthulhu and associated additions - did you REALLY like Horizon Signal? Now the entire galaxy can sing to you the forbidden songs of space. Not responsible for failed SAN checks (yes, it adds those)
Enhanced AI - my guess is it enhances the AI! Not sure if it really does, or if it's just a placebo!
Gods and Guardians - lets you really toy with primitive species. Make them worship you! Drop those monoliths from 2001 on them! Have them work as slaves! Or just, I dunno, be benevolent (don't do this)
LEX (Leviathans Extended) - three new Leviathans so you can have more space dragons to kill.

User Interface/Graphics Improvements
Blue Theme - I like blue. Do you like blue? You should try it, then.
UI Overhaul 1080p - if you have 1920x1080 or better this makes windows larger so you don't scroll as much.
Better Looking Humans - because the default Human portraits are kinda lame

goons.mod (these are actually good, btw)
National Emblem Pack - By Swiss Knight, now you can have all your drat hammers, sickles, and other national symbols. (No swastikas because ) Hasnt been updated in forever but still works fine because it's just a bunch of images.
Ofaloaf's Victorian Portraits - because if you don't like your space otters wearing 17th century French uniforms, you are a bad person and you should feel bad.
Stellar Expansion - a "moah stuff" mod like Alphamod, but better thought out and more modular

Cheats... er... Game System Improvements
Multiple Crisis - use if you think the Unbidden never say "hm, the Prethoryn were here already, let's just skip the whole ripping apart space and time thing"
Flexible Core Planet Cap - use if you hate sectors/love micromanagement
Auto Build and Improve Buildings - hate micromanagement? have the computer do it for you! Includes a core cap limit, and combining the two is pretty much 100% cheating.
Advanced Ship Behavior Modules - allows you to specify exactly the range of your ships to engage. I mean, come on, it's not like you don't KNOW the range of your lasers.
Auto-Survey At Start "I don't WANNA wait until halfway into the game to not babysit my exploration ships!" Install this mod, bam, done.

Discord:

I made a Discord channel for discussing Stellaris and also for setting up multiplayer games.

https://discord.gg/gGFayaj

Enjoy!

fishception fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

1.5 can't come out soon enough

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Good OP chap, cheers. Another five hundred pages of interminable definition discussion awaits!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Yeah, but...

is the game good?

(yes, it is)

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Bholder posted:

Yeah, but...

is the game good?

(yes, it is)

yes

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Big List O' Mods!

All of these mods work with the current version, though they may flag as being outdated.

Total Conversions
Star Trek: New Horizons - turns Stellaris into a Star Trek grand strategy game. Many game systems are changed, and by default you play in an 'accurate' galaxy map (Earth is near the Vulcans, the Borg are eating their half of the map, etc.) With the current version you can start as Enterprise-era United Earth and form the Federation through events dynamically. Includes pretty much everything you'd think of in a Star Trek game.
Eve Online: Horizons - turns Stellaris into a grand strategy version of Eve. Includes all the faction ships and all those fiddly components you remember. Mittens not included.
Star Wars: A Galaxy Divided - turns Stellaris into Stellaris Of The Old Republic (aka Star Wars but thousands of years before the movies)

Big Ol Gameplay Mods
Alphamod - probably the most popular "moah stuff" mod
Combo Modpack - "Lum_, I don't like installing mods and worrying if they still work!" Install this one. It adds a ton of stuff (including most of the ones below) and in some cases the compiler fixes them so they work together/are updated.

New Stuff To Break Your Game
Fallen Empires Expanded - not enough ancient empires to push your face in? Add more! With new types including everyone's favorite antagonists the Humans. Also with the option for YOU to start on completely overpowered initial setups like ringworlds so you can compete.
Stellaris Zero - really ambitious attempt to add factions and politics because I guess the author just couldn't wait for the upcoming 1.5 patch. It makes games amusingly broken with every empire fracturing into squabbling single-world principalities, but that may be your thing!
Networked AI - another "I CAN'T WAIT FOR A 1.5 FEATURE!!1!" mod, this adds playable robots as a race. Purge the flesh, meatbags.
No Clustered Starts - tired of starting next to slavering militarists curbstomping you just when you get your first colony out? This mod enforces a nice distance between everyone. Note: have clustered starts ON when this mod is active to use; I know that makes no sense but that's how it works!
Call of Cthulhu and associated additions - did you REALLY like Horizon Signal? Now the entire galaxy can sing to you the forbidden songs of space. Not responsible for failed SAN checks (yes, it adds those)
Enhanced AI - my guess is it enhances the AI! Not sure if it really does, or if it's just a placebo!
Gods and Guardians - lets you really toy with primitive species. Make them worship you! Drop those monoliths from 2001 on them! Have them work as slaves! Or just, I dunno, be benevolent (don't do this)
LEX (Leviathans Extended) - three new Leviathans so you can have more space dragons to kill.

User Interface/Graphics Improvements
Blue Theme - I like blue. Do you like blue? You should try it, then.
UI Overhaul 1080p - if you have 1920x1080 or better this makes windows larger so you don't scroll as much.
Better Looking Humans - because the default Human portraits are kinda lame

goons.mod (these are actually good, btw)
National Emblem Pack - By Swiss Knight, now you can have all your drat hammers, sickles, and other national symbols. (No swastikas because ) Hasnt been updated in forever but still works fine because it's just a bunch of images.
Ofaloaf's Victorian Portraits - because if you don't like your space otters wearing 17th century French uniforms, you are a bad person and you should feel bad.
Stellar Expansion - a "moah stuff" mod like Alphamod, but better thought out and more modular

Cheats... er... Game System Improvements
Multiple Crisis - use if you think the Unbidden never say "hm, the Prethoryn were here already, let's just skip the whole ripping apart space and time thing"
Flexible Core Planet Cap - use if you hate sectors/love micromanagement
Auto Build and Improve Buildings - hate micromanagement? have the computer do it for you! Includes a core cap limit, and combining the two is pretty much 100% cheating.
Advanced Ship Behavior Modules - allows you to specify exactly the range of your ships to engage. I mean, come on, it's not like you don't KNOW the range of your lasers.
Auto-Survey At Start "I don't WANNA wait until halfway into the game to not babysit my exploration ships!" Install this mod, bam, done.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 20, 2017

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Lum_ posted:

Big List O' Mods!

[actual content coming shortly]

roger that, i'll put it in the OP when you're done

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if I'm still learning EU4 will this game be as complex to grasp as that is? I know 4X's are a different breed and I've played some before.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Sperglord Firecock posted:

roger that, i'll put it in the OP when you're done

Added a few more!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

if I'm still learning EU4 will this game be as complex to grasp as that is? I know 4X's are a different breed and I've played some before.

This is a lot easier than EU4, and if you've played both that and any 4Xs you should be fine.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aethernet posted:

This is a lot easier than EU4, and if you've played both that and any 4Xs you should be fine.

Alright thanks! I'll put this on my wishlist

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
there's some drama on the comments for alpha mod, apparently the creator is mad that his glorious vision isn't being fawned over by pdox

Orv
May 4, 2011
Egotistic modder with overly-complex supermod isn't receiving attention from Paradox for his grand achievements?

They can be taught!

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Aethernet posted:

Good OP chap, cheers. Another five hundred pages of interminable definition discussion awaits!

Are xenos tasty or delicious? Are they best cooked or baked? And is How To Serve Man outdated in today On The Go cuisine?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
tbh my first choice for the OP title was "Stellaris - Say What You Will About The Tenets Of Collectivism, At Least It's An Ethos", but that joke is about to vanish next patch

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I was super tired yesterday but tried to mod the main menu screen and a city set anyways

Graphics mods, man. They're fun to do.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ofaloaf posted:

I was super tired yesterday but tried to mod the main menu screen and a city set anyways

This is impressive and if/when I play Stellaris again I will use this mod.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Good OP, I was half way through writing a new one and real life poo poo got in the way, glad someone else picked it up.

In other news, Banks is still going to be cool as poo poo.

Feel free to add this to the OP as it will answer lots of questions:

What is the state of the game?

People keep asking "Is this game good yet?". The long answer is that it's definitely a fun game, and if you're a huge sci fi nerd and like other Paradox games, this is definitely something to put on your wish list. The core game is fun, though still really being developed to find a solid direction and feel (yes I know it's released already but that's not how things are done in Sweden), and there are enough mods to keep yourself amused playing it for a long time. Like a fine wine, this game will continue to improve as long as the devs keep churning out good patches and DLC, and the promising total conversion mods don't become vapourware and get finished being fleshed out.

However, in this post-Trump world we have very little time to read long answers (as we are all watching Twitter to signal the start of WW3) and thus I have produced a handy chart you can refer to for the short answer below:

* Star Citizen in Chris Robert's Coke Addled Brain
* Best Empire Space Game of Our Generation
* You Better Just Be Reading This Post While Stellaris Downloads
* On Sale, Off Sales, Just Buy It
* A Fun Game, Featuring: Some Issues <------ CURRENT STATE OF THE GAME
* Meh, OK I Guess
* I Wish I Got It On Steam Sale
* I Wish I Refunded It
* Star Citizen in Reality

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 20, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

groundfloor

i need to start playing this game again. i got hooked on a few other games but when their seasons end i'll be back :3:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Good OP, much better than my abandoned negative OP.
Dont think Wiz is going to care for the title though. They're really trying to distance them selves from that (and it was already the title of the first stellaris thread)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Game is good.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ofaloaf posted:

Man, a total graphics overhaul in this style would be amazing.
Don't feel pressured or anything, I think what you've done so far is really cool.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ofaloaf posted:

This fits the Failbetter writing so well maybe possibly

e: Lol nevermind they're already doing it http://www.failbettergames.com/sunless-skies/

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 20, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So what's 1.5 bringing?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what's 1.5 bringing?

More genocide options and humanitarian cuisine.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what's 1.5 bringing?

Improved chattel slavery mechanics

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what's 1.5 bringing?
A whole lot. Here are the dev diaries we've gotten so far, and there have been a bunch of tweets by Wiz about even more things.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-54-ethics-rework.987286/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-55-unity-and-traditions.988693/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-56-ascension-perks.994061/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-57-species-rights.995302/

Also great OP, but we should go with a different title IMO.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what's 1.5 bringing?

Sexy Back.

Also traditions that your empire unlocks by generating influence which further customise your empire, changes to the way pops organise themselves and how factions work, overhaul of how you can classify aliens in your empire letting you be as discriminatory or as egalitarian as you what and several stages in between.

Plus UI improvements, AI improvements, bug fixes, and other stuff I assume.

In the paid DLC you can also eat other aliens instead of merely just killing them, and your empire can gain "Ascenion perks" by completing tradition trees.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Kitchner posted:

In the paid DLC you can also eat other aliens instead of merely just killing them, and your empire can gain "Ascenion perks" by completing tradition trees.
Finally the dream of cannibal space spiders is real

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Stellaris: You Can Always Banks On Paradox

:frogbon:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what's 1.5 bringing?

I'll sum up a bit.

- Pop Ethics/Factiom rework: Pops now only have one (non-Fanatic) Ethic. Each Ethic (not Ethics combination, just every non-fanatic Ethic position) can now represented by a Faction that Pops will join. Dev diary
- New ethic slider: Authoritarian - Egalitarian. Dev diary
- Traditions and Unity: customizing Empires with special bonus trees. Dev diary
- Species Rights: entire species can now be categorized under Full Citizenship, Caste System, Slavery, etc. Dev diary
- Other fixes/additions, like pops becoming refugees to avoid being purged.

Rincewinds posted:

More genocide options and humanitarian cuisine.

That's part of the unnamed upcoming DLC, not the Patch.

Also a paid feature:

- Ascension Perks: further features to customize empire and provide "endgame" models for them. Dev diary

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 20, 2017

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
There any fashion to deal with absolutely infuriating warfare? The Paradox unit dance is something I'm used to in CK and EU, but it reaches simply absurd levels in this game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

remove custom ships and replace them with three tech trees of fixed stats kinetic/missile/laser ships. also introduce three strategic resources that reduce the research time of their respective ship types. trade shootium for pewium when your kinetic ships are really good but you need better laser ships for this next war. go to war for boomium. yatta

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

also maybe have a defense triangle too with the same principle

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

One thing thing I'm not clear on: is authoritarian vs. egalitarian just a find-and-replace rename of collectivism vs. individualism or a full-on reworking of the ethics? And either way, are our space capitalist trading empires still going to be based on the egalitarian ethos because that seems like a weird fit.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

oddium posted:

also maybe have a defense triangle too with the same principle

i remember galciv 2 did this and it triggered the absolute hell out of me/made me think i needed to fill all parts of the triangle, despite the fact that was impossible

i'm not saying don't do it (it's actually really important information to know what your designs are vulnerable to) but holy crap did that particular method of showing the data give me a bad time

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'll sum up a bit.

- Pop Ethics/Factiom rework: Pops now only have one (non-Fanatic) Ethic. Each Ethic (not Ethics combination, just every non-fanatic Ethic position) can now represented by a Faction that Pops will join. Dev diary
- New ethic slider: Authoritarian - Egalitarian. Dev diary
- Traditions and Unity: customizing Empires with special bonus trees. Dev diary
- Ascension Perks: further features to customize empire and provide "endgame" models for them. Dev diary
- Species Rights: entire species can now be categorized under Full Citizen Ship, Caste System, Slavery, etc. Dev diary
- Other fixes/additions, like pops becoming refugees to avoid being purged.

I think Ascension Perks was a paid feature as well.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yeah, but let's be honest here, who is not going to buy it?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Why did you make that the thread title even the devs who made that joke originally said it wasn't funny anymore lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rincewinds posted:

I think Ascension Perks was a paid feature as well.

Yup, corrected.

• Locked thread