Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm completely new to this game, but can I dump my starting dudes entirely and replace them all with robots/androids? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

I'm completely new to this game, but can I dump my starting dudes entirely and replace them all with robots/androids? :v:

Yes. And in 1.5 you can even transform your "starting dudes" into robots themselves, so replacing them isn't necessary anymore!

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Though I wonder if you can still have spiritualist robots who hate you because you allow the existence of robots.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Baronjutter posted:

Dont think Wiz is going to care for the title though. They're really trying to distance them selves from that (and it was already the title of the first stellaris thread)

Yeah, except what other title is more appropriate for a thread started today?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Truga posted:

Yup, that's entirely possible. And between the new ascension system and new purging mechanics, it should be easier in 1.5 than ever before.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Do we know when 1.5 will be released?

I really hate this about Paradox games, I want to play them but then I see all the cool features they are going to add soon so I just want to wait for those :saddowns:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Patrat posted:

Though I wonder if you can still have spiritualist robots who hate you because you allow the existence of robots.

I'm not sure, the Ascension perks allowing your people to become first cyborgs, then robots are probably not available for spiritualists, since you have to be materialist to even unlock them. But maybe it's possible to have spiritualist pops in your empire, which you can transform into robots against their will when you reach your ascension? That would be a way to get spiritualist robots.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

One thing thing I'm not clear on: is authoritarian vs. egalitarian just a find-and-replace rename of collectivism vs. individualism or a full-on reworking of the ethics? And either way, are our space capitalist trading empires still going to be based on the egalitarian ethos because that seems like a weird fit.

The ethos system is so close to good, it's great at making a bunch of types of empires but has some huge missing types.

Currently it's really easy to make all sorts of space monarchies from god-kings to benevolent enlightened monarches.
It's really easy to make a corporate dystopia oligarchy, with caste-system that's going to perfectly model a society with a huge class divide between the mega-rich and their wage-slaves.
All sorts of generic dictatorships are easy to model too.
Typical capitalist/liberal democracy and social-democracy have their bases covered more or less.

What's missing is any sort of communal system. Both the terrifying hive-mind sort of communal society due mostly to genetics, or the utopian democratic-communism style due to economics/government. I don't know if we just need a few more government types or some sort of "social values" pick or something. Just wanna have a space society without class and with democratic ownership and control of production man.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Game good. New features good. Thread title bad.

Like really, just make it something generic like Stellaris: Paradox in Spaaace, it'll be better than that old-rear end joke while we wait for someone to say something totally rad and wacky that makes for a good new title.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Well the previous thread generally agreed on a new title. Then, when the new thread was posted, the OP decided to zig instead of zag and went with the Trump joke.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
God forbid a Games thread not have the correct lame pun/tired meme in it's title.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

God forbid a Games thread not have the correct lame pun/tired meme in it's title.

Forums Contrarian Chomp here to tell you that the poo poo you're saying is wrong. Well, cya. *peels out*

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

stellaris - it means "star is"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd just be happy with a title that doesn't make the paradox staff cringe and shed a single tear of regret every time they read it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Chomp8645 posted:

I mean I was going to go for "Stellaris: Feed Your Urge to Purge" but I don't think anyone wants anything other than a title that is interesting and might make people click on it.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Baronjutter posted:

I'd just be happy with a title that doesn't make the paradox staff cringe and shed a single tear of regret every time they read it.

I am sure there some people at Paradox that are not ashamed of Stellaris.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Stellaris: Absolutely No Pleasure Slaves

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So here's a fun tip. Do you want to get to the "Crusader Kings" political stage of the game without playing on fast forward for a full real life day?

If so, open the console and type "mature_galaxy". It simulates 100 years of history. Note that the game might lock up since it's...Y'know, simulating 100 years of history.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Baronjutter posted:

Stellaris: A Safe-Space 4x by Paradox :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

stellaris - it means "star is"

Not really.

quote:

Translation and Definition "stellaris", Latein-English Dictionary Online:

Of or pertaining to a star; stellar, starry.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakthar posted:

Forums Contrarian Chomp here to tell you that the poo poo you're saying is wrong. Well, cya. *peels out*

I'm just saying honestly who cares what the title is. It's the stupidest thing to argue about it. Call it "Stellaris: Grand Strategy in Space" or whatever it doesn't matter.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

that website's wrong for what it's worth

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kitchner posted:

I mean I was going to go for "Stellaris: Feed Your Urge to Purge" but I don't think anyone wants anything other than a title that is interesting and might make people click on it.

Stellaris: refugees from other 4X's welcome.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

We should get back on arguing what Authoritarian/Egalitarian really mean

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

The ethos system is so close to good, it's great at making a bunch of types of empires but has some huge missing types.

Currently it's really easy to make all sorts of space monarchies from god-kings to benevolent enlightened monarches.
It's really easy to make a corporate dystopia oligarchy, with caste-system that's going to perfectly model a society with a huge class divide between the mega-rich and their wage-slaves.
All sorts of generic dictatorships are easy to model too.
Typical capitalist/liberal democracy and social-democracy have their bases covered more or less.

What's missing is any sort of communal system. Both the terrifying hive-mind sort of communal society due mostly to genetics, or the utopian democratic-communism style due to economics/government. I don't know if we just need a few more government types or some sort of "social values" pick or something. Just wanna have a space society without class and with democratic ownership and control of production man.

The utopian direct-democracy style does exist as one of the government forms - it goes from a basic Swiss style "everyone votes regularly on issues" to the upgraded "everyone has a brain implant that lets them vote in real time".

I feel like a real hive mind type thing would need to be more than just another ethic/form of government, though, since it wouldn't really fit with the core game's setup of pops having their own ethics and (limited) autonomy. Hive minds would probably make for a good focus for an expansion down the line.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Bholder posted:

We should get back on arguing what Authoritarian/Egalitarian really mean

Stellaris: To Serve Man and argue about political definitions

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

sa forums > games > stellaris: the first duty of every stellaris poster is to the title. whether it's the meme title, or the educational title, or the in-joke title. it is the guiding principle upon which this thread is based. and if you can't find it within yourself to stand up and suggest a good title... then you don't deserve to post in this thread

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

oddium posted:

sa forums > games > stellaris: the first duty of every stellaris poster is to the title. whether it's the meme title, or the educational title, or the in-joke title. it is the guiding principle upon which this thread is based. and if you can't find it within yourself to stand up and suggest a good title... then you don't deserve to post in this thread

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's true. The title defines the culture of the thread, and the thread cannot continue until the title reaches consensus.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Truga posted:

You can, but it's a huge pain in the rear end, because sectors seem to get extra retarded when they have only robot pops in them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's true. The title defines the culture of the thread, and the thread cannot continue until the title reaches consensus.

Consesus implies a collectivist leaning, but I believe the thread to be quite individualist.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Stellaris: The substructure of the thread regresses infinitely towards smaller and smaller arguments. Behind genocide we find political ideology, and behind ideology, thread titles. Each layer unraveled reveals new secrets, but also new mysteries

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The utopian direct-democracy style does exist as one of the government forms - it goes from a basic Swiss style "everyone votes regularly on issues" to the upgraded "everyone has a brain implant that lets them vote in real time".

I feel like a real hive mind type thing would need to be more than just another ethic/form of government, though, since it wouldn't really fit with the core game's setup of pops having their own ethics and (limited) autonomy. Hive minds would probably make for a good focus for an expansion down the line.

I feel like a hive mind should be a species trait, maybe tied to a unique form of government. -100% ethics drift for affected species to ensure conformity...But some kind of other downsides, like severely restricted leader skill growth or something.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Good OP. Good game. Can't wait for the next patch. Ian M Banks is probably my favorite sci-fi author, so I'm glad his expansion is looking so sweet!

But ugh, what a gross thread title.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stellaris - Star War Criminals

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, I'd love to see more race picks the tie into ethos/culture/government/mechanics. Like have hive-mind an actual biological trait that locks their pops to a certain smaller window of ethos and some in-game mechanical changes. Have it so they basically can't deal with non-hive pops or have to enslave them, while when conquered will never assimilate in any way. Think about trying to conquer and integrate the bugs from starship troopers or tyranids or something. Could even have 2 levels of it, one for a limited hive like some insect society where there are still individuals but they're simply biologically extremely communal and under the influence of pheromones or what ever, and then a 2nd level that's a straight up hive-mind like tyranids. No individuals, entire race functions as one. No factions, no ethos drift, no happiness, and pops fight to the end and can not be conquered.

You could also have a lithovore traits that skips the entire food system, having them eat minerals instead and treating all planets as their ideal. Let's get some sillicoids.

Or weird energy creatures that skip food and eat energy instead, could be interesting.

Just want to see more traits that actually change the mechanics, more asymmetry.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kitchner posted:

* Star Citizen in Chris Robert's Coke Addled Brain
* Best Empire Space Game of Our Generation
* You Better Just Be Reading This Post While Stellaris Downloads
* On Sale, Off Sales, Just Buy It
* A Fun Game, Featuring: Some Issues
* Meh, OK I Guess
* I Wish I Got It On Steam Sale <------ CURRENT STATE OF THE GAME
* I Wish I Refunded It
* Star Citizen in Reality

I fixed it for you

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
CURRENT STATE OF STELLARIS: A video game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the ethos system feels like the old dnd alignment system where it's fun flavor and i have more fun ignoring it for the most part but sometimes the game pulls me aside like "y'all weren't thinking of ignoring the ethos system were you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
A paladin would never condone slavery.

But he would definitely condone purging, so long as the purgees were evil.

• Locked thread