Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could take dick pics of the zik pocs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
there incidentally needs to be a three race option for the zoq-fot-piks

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
You can edit a species' name when you gene-tailor them.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Hey Stellaris thread, I hear there's a patch coming in 11 days, but now that I've watched some gameplay, I'm getting kinda antsy and have two days of time on my hand.

Is that patch going to make for an entirely different and improved game, and should I absolutely sit out the 11 days for the best all-around first-timer experience, or should I just dive in now and roll with whatever changes come around later?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Hey Stellaris thread, I hear there's a patch coming in 11 days, but now that I've watched some gameplay, I'm getting kinda antsy and have two days of time on my hand.

Is that patch going to make for an entirely different and improved game, and should I absolutely sit out the 11 days for the best all-around first-timer experience, or should I just dive in now and roll with whatever changes come around later?

Well, that's kinda hard to say. The improvements in 2.0 are definitely huge, but it's also quite likely that with changes this large the first few days after release are going to be a flurry of bug-fixes and balance passes. They'll get fixed eventually, but if you want the "best first-timer experience" it's a toss-up whether it's better to go with a reliable but slightly naff experience or a much-improved but raw experience. I'd lean towards just diving in now, though - warfare is currently painful, but not crippling, and if it turns out that you like most of the game but just hate the warfare, well, good news to look forward to!

Edit: Though that being said the base game is probably gonna have a discount of some kind come the expansion's release, so that's also a factor to consider.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Tomn posted:

Well, that's kinda hard to say. The improvements in 2.0 are definitely huge, but it's also quite likely that with changes this large the first few days after release are going to be a flurry of bug-fixes and balance passes. They'll get fixed eventually, but if you want the "best first-timer experience" it's a toss-up whether it's better to go with a reliable but slightly naff experience or a much-improved but raw experience. I'd lean towards just diving in now, though - warfare is currently painful, but not crippling, and if it turns out that you like most of the game but just hate the warfare, well, good news to look forward to!

Edit: Though that being said the base game is probably gonna have a discount of some kind come the expansion's release, so that's also a factor to consider.

I got the game in that Humble Bundle offer a couple of weeks back, so I'm pretty much already set, I guess.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I would probably wait so you don't end up learning stuff which is immediately patched out.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hey just fyi wiz/other paradox folks

It might be fixed just kinda incidentally in cherryh but right I just had a random seized planet rebel against the awakened empire and so it counts as having their tech

and I was able to bribe them with some cash and get a research agreement, but my materialist faction is grumpy about them technically being Overwhelming on tech

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Guess it's time to throw out all the mods and get ready to start fresh.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

And the AE took care of them eventually but I got a fair while with a nice nice +25% to every tech even the repeatable ones :v:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
It just dawned on me that with the way spaceports are being rework, orbital mind control lasers may not be a thing anymore. Putting one over each planet (in my fanatically egalitarian empire that for some reason doesn't have a problem with it) has always been hilarious to me and I'll be sad to see them go. :(

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So Im near the end game I think, researched almost all traditions, techs are all 'shields VII' or 'efficiency VII', and my energy and minerals are at cap. Third of the map is vassalized to Ascended Empire, third is going it alone as the last xenophobe empires, and a third is my federation.

Question 1 is, how do I get xenophobes to join my federation?
and Question 2 is, how do I fight an ascended empire?

(I don't have Utopia, just Leviathans)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Awakened Empires eventually start to weaken through a mechanic known as "decadence."

At the point you're at, it seems like you should probably be able to match them head-on, but if you can't, just wait until you can.

When you use the diplomacy menu to do something, and there's a red X there, you can hover over it to see what they don't like. Some things you won't be able to change, or change easily. Others you can work on. Frankly, you'll probably never get ALL of them in your federation. There's always going to be someone who is just fundamentally incompatible.

----

I'm currently playing as a hive mind named Bob. Bob is the result of technology run amok: a man, before his death, had his brain waves recorded. Eventually a new body was created for him, and his consciousness implanted within it. However, due to <technobabble>, he discovered that anyone he touched also became Bob.

Now we are all Bob, and our mission is to make everyone Bob. I need to complete one more tradition to get the perk that lets me assimilate aliens. Then it's ON.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Loel posted:

Question 1 is, how do I get xenophobes to join my federation?

Conquer their planets until they're all inside your federation

quote:

and Question 2 is, how do I fight an ascended empire?

Build lots of ships and shoot the ascended empire to death. Build over your fleet cap if you can afford it. Usual recommendation is for battleships with a tachyon lance, two kinetic artillery, two plasma cannons as a general purpose "kills AI players dead" fleet. If they've been awake for a while their decadance creeps up and up making them weaker so you might find they're weaker than they look.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

I'd recommend actually not building a ton of Battleships against awakened empires. Their ships can often one-shot yours, so overwhelming them with smaller, cheaper ships is usually a better idea.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yandat posted:

I'd recommend actually not building a ton of Battleships against awakened empires. Their ships can often one-shot yours, so overwhelming them with smaller, cheaper ships is usually a better idea.

My usual fleet comp late game is 1:1 battleship:point defense destroyer, or maybe slightly tipped in favor of battleships.

The destroyers take the brunt of any damage and are super fast to replace. And god help any AI that's using missiles that can be shot down.

Usually with this loadout any cruisers I made early on live forever.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
It doesn't matter if their titans can occasionally one shot your battleships if the rest of your fleet is also comprised of battleships that take forever to die to the rest of their weapons.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Also I'm pretty sure the Titan will shoot at your battleships anyway, whether you have a small or large amount of them. Unless you have no battleships at all to shoot at, of course. So if you already have a bunch of battleships, not building more won't really help in that regard. And in my experience battleships have always done well against fallen empires, especially if you have Galactic Contender to help you kill a bunch of their ships before most of their weapons are in range.

Also, as noted, they probably only have a single Titan with a single Titan Laser. I don't think you should design your entire fleet to counter that single Titan.

ConfusedUs posted:

My usual fleet comp late game is 1:1 battleship:point defense destroyer, or maybe slightly tipped in favor of battleships.

The destroyers take the brunt of any damage and are super fast to replace. And god help any AI that's using missiles that can be shot down.

Usually with this loadout any cruisers I made early on live forever.
That's weird, won't the cruisers be the first things in range?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Jabarto posted:

It just dawned on me that with the way spaceports are being rework, orbital mind control lasers may not be a thing anymore. Putting one over each planet (in my fanatically egalitarian empire that for some reason doesn't have a problem with it) has always been hilarious to me and I'll be sad to see them go. :(

It's ok, instead of orbital mind control lasers, you can put off-the-books black sites on starbases.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

Really I just want to play as a death merchant empire and there isn't really a good way to do that right now and that would be as close as I can get under the current system

If you play as a death merchant empire, becoming so successful and advanced that your weapons gain sentience, turn on you and wipe out your civilization in an ironic twist should be a victory condition.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

DatonKallandor posted:

It's ok, instead of orbital mind control lasers, you can put off-the-books black sites on starbases.

Gotta put Guantanamo Starbase somewhere.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does the A.I have a minimum initial species habitability that they will colonize with?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

How long has the star name in the Yuht system been Yuthaan and the system on the map been Yuhtaan

I swear I didn't do anything to it and I'm picking up achievements this time so I definitely haven't hosed with anything

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That's why they went extinct

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I can't be the only one who's bugged by this.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

VirtualStranger posted:

Why?
The ring is orbiting, it's not attached to the planet.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Groetgaffel posted:

Why?
The ring is orbiting, it's not attached to the planet.

Right, but usually the rings are caused by the same dust cloud that forms the planet, so you'd expect it to all have the same plane and direction of rotation.

Rings with a totally different plane would be super-rare, only formed by the planet capturing a moon from out of its local area, and then the orbit of the moon decaying close enough to the planet that it crumbles apart.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Jabor posted:

Right, but usually the rings are caused by the same dust cloud that forms the planet, so you'd expect it to all have the same plane and direction of rotation.

Rings with a totally different plane would be super-rare, only formed by the planet capturing a moon from out of its local area, and then the orbit of the moon decaying close enough to the planet that it crumbles apart.

Planets aren't necessarily rotating in the same orientation that they originally formed in, like uranus. Not sure if that could keep the rings intact at their previous orientation though.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

VirtualStranger posted:

literally unplayable

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Chalks posted:

Planets aren't necessarily rotating in the same orientation that they originally formed in, like uranus. Not sure if that could keep the rings intact at their previous orientation though.

Uranus has rings at the same inclination as the planet itself though,

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Uranus has rings at the same inclination as the planet itself though,

Yeah, true, the theory being that their original rings were destroyed as part of the collision that tipped the planet - but I don't know if that's something that would always happen or even something that's likely to happen. Presumably it depends on the collision, but given that there are two planets that have had something like this happen in our solar system alone I'd assume that you'll see a variety of weirdly misaligned poo poo out there.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

VirtualStranger posted:

That is possible, just not likely; IIRC it just isn’t stable for more than a few million years?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

VirtualStranger posted:

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

Enigmatic engineering really, really just makes me want a randomized tech tree, so you can actually get tech that nobody else might have.

Yeah, general technological progress to optional or eventual divergence. So that fleets an ships feel very different from each other.

Sots did this pretty well. This isn't an Esport game. Balance can suck a dick.

Also a racial category like the zuul (sots) or reavers would be hot.

Their ships suck, can only really steal tech an reproduce rapidly would be a great addition.

My zuul playstyle in sots multiplayer involved a fleet designed around disabling ships and boarding pod cruisers. It was great an something similar would be great.

Also capital worlds should be upgradable to 25 tiles, an thosr bonus' disappear when you move the capital.

Grammar-Bolshevik fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 12, 2018

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

VirtualStranger posted:

Why do you care dude ughhhh

How is the game going to be better if they change that? It isn't.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

VirtualStranger posted:

It may turn out that you are.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

VirtualStranger posted:

Wiz, prepare Uranus.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

VirtualStranger posted:

You seem to be, yep.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm bugged by it too.

Seems like a fair thing to point out. It's kind of mildly funny when you notice it and seems worth sharing. It's fun to be a bit pedantic about these kinds of details.

I guess congratulations to everyone who's being vocally not bothered by it though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

sounds like an anomaly, better investigate it

• Locked thread