Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I think it would be really cool if tile blockers gave some kind of bonus to the tile once they were 'fixed', like someone said earlier. Kelp gives extra food, volcanoes give extra energy, mountains = minerals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Serf posted:

The dropships touched down and these weird mammal guys just see legions of their own people march out and start blasting.

That happened in Oblivion. Good film.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

lol didn't wiz even say they were loathe to show these things because of this exact response from theorycrafters

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Heartcatch posted:

AI rebellion is probably my least favourite crisis in that regard. It creates too much micromanagement and not really all that much crisis outside of dialogue panels.

It would be funny if they took over your fleets in a percentile dice roll on rebellion. Just started a civil war brawl within your deathblob that would leave you appropriately horrified.

They really should if you've researched Sentient AI battle computers or whatever.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I love that I'm too materialistic IRL to even imagine how something like the shroud could be hard for a determined scientific study to uncover.

It's actually really easy when you're not circlejerking yourself into oblivion.

Take that dumb xkcd graph someone posted earlier. Now imagine it was literal. That simply having more people with a camera actually made Bigfeet, aliens, UFOs, ghosts and so on disappear.

Spiritualists believe in the Force. Materialists believe in midichlorians. But in Stellaris, belief apparently shapes reality to some extent.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Captain Janeway never gave a single gently caress and it's the best part of her character.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The hive mind option sounds like the Scrambler species from Blindsight where the individual beings are more like cells in a giant organism and they simply can't function or survive outside of their greater whole.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 23, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Anticheese posted:

That's kind of a spoiler of the book. :P

more like a selling point, imo

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Reveilled posted:

I think it's funny how when you put Janeway and Adama in very similar situations (Equinox and Pegasus), it's Adama that comes out as looking like the better Starfleet captain. I wonder if that was on purpose, I've heard Ronald D Moore was in constant conflict with the other Voyager writers after he moved over from DS9. Is BSG just him saying "I'm going to make my own Voyager, with blackjack and hookers character development and story arcs"?

Basically, yes. There's an interview where he basically says as much.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

No Pants posted:

I think the Scramblers were a little too alien to be compared to anything playable in this game, especially hive-minds (because of the whole lacking consciousness thing).

Blindsight would also say that what's under the spoiler bar doesn't preclude something being able to do everything a normal person might be able to do, particularly when viewed from the outside.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The Citizen Service icon is the Starship Troopers Federation logo. :allears:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Comstar posted:

I give up, Stellaris has defeated me. I cannot play a 4X game because this game won't allow me too. I thought after a year it might have improved. Fool.

I cannot Explore - soon as I meet an Alien race it's borders up exploring down and the end of anything interesting happening.

I cannot Expand - I built 2 or 3 System stations to be able to get some energy and I run out of influence. Only way to get 1 point is to wait several years for my 1 colony to get 5 Population and then update the governor's mansion.

I cannot Exploit- I hit an energy wall and building any new stations consumes as much energy as I get. There is no technology available to increase energy production on the horizon either.

I cannot Exterminate - I declare war and get a list of things I can try and gain, which won't allow me to attempt to take all the enemy systems and gives no clue on what I need to do to do that.

I doubt it will be any better a year from now.

good troll, friend

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I apologize if this kinda thing has been posted and discussed, my brother sent me this and found it extremely funny.

E: based on the next post, this is a major spoiler. So, just be warned. I'm sorry.

this is so loving cool but, yes, HUGE SPOILERS

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

Battle warscore seems to be a bit bugged, I keep getting negative warscore for battles I definitely won (annihilated the enemy force, no escapees, my fleet survived)

I've notice this, too. Wars seem kind of weird in this patch.

Loving the expansion. My only qualms are that it takes too long to get to Habitats and I feel you shouldn't be able to get every Tradition tree and that some Ascendency Perks should come from things other than getting to the end of each tree.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Something seems off. I am at four complete Unity trees and rolling in tech and battleships and I have not had the opportunity to research Synths once. Kind of derailed my plans entirely. Do you need anything beyond the Droid tech to research Synths?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Habits posted:

Having The Unbidden respond to your ruler being the Chosen One was a nice touch. The Cybrex event chain failing in the same game after this many patches, not so much.

It's weird because prior to Utopia I had no issue with finishing the chains if I got out there and surveyed. Since then, it's back to the days of permanent 4/6.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Strudel Man posted:

Hah. God drat. No wonder armageddon bombardment seemed unimpressive - the events that actually kill off pops and destroy buildings only check for limited or full bombardment, so "armageddon" acts the same as light bombardment for those purposes.

Guess I won't be playing Purifiers until that's fixed.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Libluini posted:

Some cool thing I just learned: When you have the Curator's insight running, there's a chance you can get a rare tech to upgrade your science ships. You get this fancy new archaeology lab build with Curator-tech, which will give you small bonuses to finding and completing anomalies and a huge 25% bonus to scanning speed.

But are there any system left to get anomalies from by the time you can get that rolling?

It's sort of my peeve with Stellaris at the moment. By the time you can get to the super cool stuff - Curator ship mods, megastructures, etc - it doesn't feel like you can get much use out of them. The galaxy has been surveyed, borders have been drawn up, and Federations signed.

I feel like habitats should come earlier, and maybe the sensor and science stations, too. Even if they start poorly and you have to upgrade them with techs or projects.

It feels like they are Civ 5 Wonders, but you only get them late game and they're things you build to swing your dick around, as opposed to getting any benefit from them.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

I sort of feel like habitats should come pretty early, but be like size 4 and then there are upgrade techs that expand their size by 4 a level or whatever.

I guess you could even fake this with special tile blockers that looked like outer space.

Exactly what I was thinking.

When I feel like I need habitats - when I'm hemmed in on a few sides and need to face war to expand, maybe into bigger neighbors, and I'm looking for an edge or two - I don't have them.

It's made more annoying by the fact that early-game starbases are monsters, so, you can't really go for early aggression any more. Which means I tend to do nothing until I feel like I have a tech/force advantage to absolutely win, which often goes into the late game (or until most of the tech tree is explored because it's so easy to burn through it), and it's a bit of a slog. But is there any early-game war that doesn't become a nuisance where both sides just inevitably want to white peace it or risk crippling their economy for the foreseeable future?

Like, I just watched my 1.5k Missile 3 corvettes evaporate when hitting a 1.4k station where the defenders only had red lasers. I really don't know how you can do early wars anymore. If my tech is two tiers above them and I've gone over my fleet cap and have Distinguished Admirals, I feel like I should've won that fight.

edit: It'd be nice if Supremacy and/or Domination made early-game aggression possible, maybe.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 13, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Which, to be fair, does make sense when you're building things that size. It's just not very fun.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

CrazyTolradi posted:

Oh I agree, I mean, you're building a ring or a sphere around a star, that's pretty advanced. But in terms of gameplay, it's just kind of pointless.

Exactly.

Speaking of, it'd be cool if you could find like half-derelict Dyson spheres or ringworlds outside Fallen Empires - that'd be cool stuff to fight over. Like the huge derelicts in Homeworld. So you could find a ringworld with one habitable section or a Dyson sphere that only outputs a fraction of its energy... And that could provide a path to getting them that isn't perk-related.

I mean, I know there's Sanctuary, but it has not spawned in any of my games.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 13, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

A Tartan Tory posted:

If they straight up don't have any fleets, just blockade all their planets till you hit 100%.

In my experience you don't get any war score for blockading planets anymore. Just destroying fleets and invasions.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Aethernet posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/856447919465127936

In 1.6 we'll be able to find and repair ruined megastructures. This will of course make the Cybrex chain even more godly, although I assume other precursors will get the other structures to compensate.

this is some good poo poo

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

escalator dropdown posted:

You know what I'd really love? An option during galaxy generation to determine the ratio of pre-made empires to randomly generated ones. I've got like 30 pre-made empires. I can't imagine playing a game without them -- they lend games a sense of character that is otherwise missing in a fully random empire game. But in practice, that means I've locked them all in, so the only randomly generated empires I see are the FEs. I'd love to be able to consistently start new games where, say, 25% of empire were randomly generated and 75% were randomly chosen from my pool of pre-mades.

I'd like this, too.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

The drat thing crashes after mission 8 if you don't have a certain version of FSOpen.

i approve of this message

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Me too. SotS' various menaces were amazing and Stellaris would benefit hugely from having them, or things like them. Things that aren't quite inexorable alien hordes, but one-off entities or beings that arise throughout the game.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

autistic fractals from beyond time.

please don't dox me

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Strudel Man posted:

I don't usually imagine any external control apparatus is necessary for a hive mind to continue hiving, is all.

As with all discussions of cool space stuff, Blindsight holds the answers you seek.

The aliens in that feel like the idea of the hive mind in Stellaris.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Hell, if we're talking quick-fixes until they can get around to revamping the system, I'd like it if they at least brought back blockade warscore. It cut out a little of the micromanagement from wars that were clearly won, while making invasion a theoretically meaningful choice if there were still enemy fleets active. Ticking warscore might be nice, too.

Yeah, the removal of blockade warscore is one of the reasons why I stopped playing Stellaris recently. It made wars super tedious.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

I'd like to see a separate pool for 'homeworld traits'; move things like syncretic evolution over there, and have stuff like Master of Orion's 'mineral rich' or 'ancient artifacts' as bonuses to pick for your starting system.

Yeah, I'd like this too.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

iOS 11 did a number on awful app - it's putting the wrong quote characters and screwing up bbcode.

https://youtu.be/jkDRKB4HAYc

this dude's voice and delivery :chloe:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

So how have people been doing with machine empires so far? I've actually had a tough time doing nearly as with one of my normal races, due to the glacial start. Paying 100 minerals for each pop and 500 for each colony ship feels crippling when I am used to free population growth and the glory of private colony ships.

I got boxed in by two empires which basically cut off my hyperlanes. They could expand to a ridiculous extent and while I still had a bunch of worlds to colonize due to being a robot there was just nothing to fix it.

The problem was, they could field equivalent fleets to me. While I could make a fleet that could take a starbase, it doesn't help when it's going to cost a big chunk of your fleet. Due to energy/mineral costs, you can't really go too much over your cap either.

I still feel like something has to be done about early-game combat. If I could've taken on either of those empires early, I could've got some breathing room. The problem is, starbases are basically impossible to knock over without a significant investment.

I feel like there needs to be something done to starbases. For a player, it's great that you basically have rush protection. It also sucks that you can't rush anyone. And if you're building heaps of corvettes to try and take out a starbase, you're crippling your expansion/robot pop numbers/infrastructure. Which means your neighbours, who probably aren't doing that, are going to be stronger than you.

The alternative, of course, would be some kind of espionage system to weaken empires, or asymmetric warfare.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 22, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I saw a Stimsis system.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

wiegieman posted:

I think starports definitely need to be weaker earlier on and stronger later. They're a huge deal in the corvette phase and an unnoticeable speed-bump in the battleship phase, even thought they're apparently the massive complexes that are churning out your deathfleets.

Yeah, that's another big problem.

I tried another machine game, geared up to do an early rush. 13 corvettes, three armies, up against an enemy planet with no starbase. Basically nothing spent, no colony ships, no additonal pops, nothing.

The AI has twenty corvettes. Fleet gets wiped, GG.

And this is why I always end up playing some kind of tech-up passive pacifist. As much as I want to be a Death-to-all-organics Skynet, it's absurdly frustrating.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 22, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Fewd posted:

Did you have advanced starts on for AI? I always disable those to avoid this kind of annoyance.

Nope. Just regular starts.

I think someone said a page or two back that the AI just builds as many ships as it can if it is near a human player. Except this went down about a month past first contact, so, they're basically doing it via omniscience. It'd at least be nice if you could catch some early empires off-guard -- particularly the quieter ones. These guys were just the Erudite Explorers and I don't see why they're building up ships past their cap.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 22, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Kitchner posted:

If you're going to try and early game rush someone (and let's remember it was you who tried to rush them) you need to have a big enough fleet to kill their fleet and their star port together. This usually means matching their fleet strength + 1,000 ish strength.

If you do not do this, they can play defensive and just refuse to fight you away from the star bases, so you would have to know you can catch their fleet in open space (e.g. If you find them fighting some space entity and you attack them there).

As soon as you realised they had more corvettes than you, the first thing you should have done is retreated back to your home world, whereupon you would turtle up knowing if they come to try and take your only world, your combined fleet strength plus station strength will smash their fleet (and then allow you to invade). If they refuse to attack (which is the usual response) you just wait until either you can break the deadlock by building more ships, or until they offer white peace.

Alternatively you can sit in a huge pile of minerals, engage in fleet fight until you've both taken heavy losses, and while you're fighting have corvettes queued up. Then you essentially hope you can replenish your fleet faster than theirs.

If you just build 13 corvettes and fling them at the enemy that doesn't work, so I'm sort of inclined to say this is not an AI issue (as the AI has done what any player would do) and is more of a "you carried out a poorly planned rush" issue. Let's not forget that in terms of their number of ships your starting fleet cap is 15 before modifiers, and the naval cap tech early on boosts that by +15, plus ethics and traditions and leaders can boost it, so it's not even like they were necessarily over their fleet cap.

The reality is since spaceports were buffed early game rushes don't really work until you've got at least 4/5 planets settled and you've unlocked destroyers.

Good luck "breaking the deadlock" when you pay 100 minerals per pop. Good luck building equal fleet strength + 1000 when every pop you build is one station or one corvette or an improvement or... You turtle up, you just get out-expanded. You get out-expanded, your robot bonuses don't matter because they'll just have enough of a disparity that a 15% damage bonus just means you die slightly slower.

A 'Driven Exterminator' should be able to do more exterminating than sitting around, quietly expanding and hoping your neighbours don't get ahead of you (and/or band up to kill you, form defensive pacts to make wars even harder, and so on).

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 22, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I wouldn't have run such a strategy as a normal living empire because of how bad early-game combat is, yes.

But, really, losing all diplomacy in exchange for 15% damage bonus, unity from purged organics and apocalypse bombardment isn't great. You get all these combat bonuses that a. don't really alter the playstyle and b. are actually kind of useless because the moment people meet you they Defensive Pact. So, the optimal thing is to sort of sit there and tech up and build up and maybe wage war 15% earlier than you normally would. It just doesn't feel right.

That's kind of my summary of playing three Machine games today -- Exterminator and Assimilator. It doesn't feel right. I'm not sure how you're supposed to prevent any neighbouring civilisation from just out-expanding you and then crushing you with their superior fleet and income because they're not spending over a thousand minerals to get a planet inhabited. It feels like Machine Empires should be the 'tall option' people kept asking for, where you can grab and micromanage your core systems and can exploit them to their zenith, but I'm either missing something that makes them 'click' or their fate is to get choked to death once DEs and CAs enter the equation.

500 mineral colony ships with an additional 100 minerals per population is just huge. 100 minerals per planet per month just to get a constant pop growth rate, not factoring in actually building the tile improvement. 1000 minerals just to get a colony to upgrade the 'ship shelter' equivalent. Think about whatever else your neighbouring empires can use 1000 minerals for and, well...

If they could colonise barren, toxic or molten then things wouldn't be as bad, but that might be too powerful. Maybe a robot-only tech for each type? A machine template for hostile world colonisation?

Whatever late-game advantage the technological terrors might have doesn't really matter if getting there is a roll of the dice.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 22, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Crazycryodude posted:

It's three minerals per month per planet to keep constant growth, not 100. That's nothing compared to the food you'd have to feed a biological pop, place one single mine per planet on a food tile like you would normally place a farm and boom, you're now feeding the growth of that planet. It's really not as bad as you're painting it, machine empires definitely feel like the slow burn that starts out weak but just keeps climbing even after the biologicals slow down/plateau. Being able to colonize every planet type at 100% habitability is a massive advantage, you always get full production from your pops while a biological empire trying to colonize against their preference is gonna get a pittance.

Machine empires are not built for early game rushes, you tried to early game rush with one and got hosed, oh well that's how the game works.

E: Although I can agree that 15% is on the low end for specifically Skynets, yeah, it could do with a 5-10% buff.

What kind of robots are you running where it costs you three minerals to build a new robot pop every month?

edit: Like, is this some weird post where you think minerals and growth work like food and growth?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

People completely loving up basic arithmetic and then doubling down when corrected are my favourite

Dyscalculia is a heck of a thing, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Missiles seem worse to me. What'd they change about them?

• Locked thread