Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I drop outposts on pre ftl civs all the time. A quick observation post after that and away to uplifting after which I burn the outpost. Early vassals are a huge boon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

However they do it (being in supply to wherever, admiral skill, techs, etc) they really need to implement some version of unit width. That single innovation made doom stacks no longer a viable tactic in HOI. Maybe something where your admiral can only command a certain fleet cap at any one time before he gets increasingly bad maluses, and if there are multiple fleets the senior commander takes general command and can go over his command limit.

However it's done something needs to be worked out to make having the most gigantic blob of ships possible in a single system not be the ultimate tactic. It makes the mid and late game REALLY boring as far as warfare goes.

edit: maybe also negative modifiers the further you are from your own space. It's hilarious bullshit that I can take my 500k fleet power doomstack into the heart of a sprawling empire so that I can squash their capitol without having to worry about my supply lines.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

imweasel09 posted:

I'm less sold on the supply lines things because of endgame crisis events. Sometimes your 500k stack needs to get to the other end of the galaxy to stop the AI from being eaten by scourge or the unbidden.

The answer to that is to rework the end game crisis stuff. Maybe have an event fire to create a temporary alliance, like you see wit the War in Heaven, and have allies let your supplies through or something. The fact that your fleet doesn't need to worry about how far outside your borders it gets is one of the bigger issues in the core game.

To see what I mean try a game where you restrict everyone to wormholes. That restricts how far your doom stack can march into anyone's territory and really, REALLY encourages you to keep small garrison fleets to make sure someone doesn't blow up all your warp stations a jump or two back from the front line. The flow of the game ends up being entirely different.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Any guesses on how long until the new expansion? I'm half thinking of starting a new game, but probably won't if the expansion will be out in less than a month.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

The bands on those judgments are really wide. IIRC, a fleet that's 30-50% bigger than yours can still be rated as "Equivalent".

Yeah, the real lesson is to never go to war with anyone who is more than equivalent, and if possible only pick on people who are inferior.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Aethernet posted:

Noticed this in bug fixes:

I hope you all like additional micro in the late game, when your fleet with thousands of corvettes will have to be six separate fleets. It's not a great deal of extra micro, but this feels like the sort of change that could've waited for a proper war-focused patch. Hopefully ship cost changes will mean that megafleets are no longer a thing.

I think in combination with the other changes to the way fleets work the 500 ship cap won't be that big an issue. They're already essentially killing naked vette spam. More importantly they're also changing how much star bases affect fleet cap. According to the patch notes this should mean slightly larger early-mid game fleets, significantly smaller late game fleets. If that's the case 500 ship fleets might not that crazy of a ceiling.

I wonder how much of this is being done as a bandaid solution to the performance issues? Those huge fleets just destroy the engine, especially if two of them ever clash. Having fewer aggregate ships might also help with the late game slowdown problems.

I personally also hope this means a shift to individual ships being more important. Star Trek New Horizons does a great job with making each ship feel significant. There's a mod out there that also roughly quadruples all of the costs (minerals, fleet cap, etc) and stats (HP, weapons, etc) for ships which basically quarters the number of ships running around while not loving balance too badly, with the notable side effect that all the event ships and random space animals now suck (leviathans still seem to be balanced right for it, possibly because they were always geared towards requiring certain fleet power).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

holy poo poo is it just me or are the end game events a lot meaner now? With the default 1.5x I just had the unbidden hand me my rear end in a way that hasn't happened in a long, long time.

Also the caretaker robots might be the most fun I've had playing this game in ages.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

[quote="“Splicer”" post="“477222732”"]
Events! Have a stable of a few dozen possible events that can pop up during terraforming, which influence the final planet or provide other benefits.
“Cool alien animals found on future sea bed” (dissect them for society research) (delay terraforming by a few months to build a preserve which adds an alien pets tile)
“Pre sapients found huddling in cave” (observe their struggles to adapt for society research) (move the pre sapients to an appropriate unpopulated planet) (cancel the terraforming and uplift them instead)
“Demolished mountain reveals betharian deposits” (use it to fuel the process, speeding it up) (leave be, add a betharian deposit)
“Terraforming awakens sleeping giants” (titanic life forms modifier added to planet)
“Supervisor of project wants to try something” (What? No. Do your job) (Go ahead (40/30/30 chance of Gaia or tomb world or monsters))

Could also be interesting to be able to assign a scientists to a terraforming project (or megastructure project) with their specialities impacting the final result.
[/quote]

That Star Trek mega mod does this. Terraforming mars is one of the big early things if you play as earth and it has a half dozen events that cam fire and do different things. It's neat and helps the whole process feel more meaningful. Some of the poo poo that can happen is good, some bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The Muffinlord posted:

So I came back for the first time since 1.6 this weekend and had a couple of questions. I rolled up a few robot empires and settled on a race of robot servitors for those production bonuses. I spawned this game with two pre-sentients within single warp range of my homeworld but I'm pretty well into the midgame and have yet to see Epigenetic Triggers in my tech queue. Is it just disabled for machine empires? What happens if I liberate an organic planet? Do their toasters become the ruling class? Is it worth it to just let my bio-trophies have free migration, or should I make them some kind of paradise planet so I can keep them out of more useful areas? Do they still respect habitability when migrating? I notice that they're still super happy even on unfavorable worlds that I've resettled them to.

I'm pretty sure that the bio-trophies can't move anywhere on their own. Early game I didn't really care much where they were as long as they weren't squatting on tiles I needed, but late game I started rounding them into planets of their own so I could build machine worlds everywhere. I don't think I ever figured out a way to uplift in that game, so maybe they can't do it? And yeah, they basically live in bio-domes so they dgaf about what the weather is like outside.

• Locked thread