Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Ship type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

King Doom posted:

Hey Wiz, with all the new stuff being added, what are the chances of some sort of emergency reloaction action being put in somewhere? It's frustrating to get extra pops from events like the nomads or the tomb world vault event who start on worlds that has a horribly low habitability rating for them and not being able to move them to a better world.

What would differentiate an emergency relocation and regular player-driven relocation? Because that is a thing you can do if your policies allow, and if they don't, well, they don't.

EDIT: The low habitability does sound like a potential bug though. Will investigate when I'm back at the office.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

King Doom posted:

Dunno if it'd be possible to set it up, but I was hoping for a single use relocation for a fairly hefty amount of influence if you don't have the relevant policies - pretty much literally the government going 'oh hell, we need to get these people somewhere safe before they liquify'. Generally I've seen the problem happen with the Tomb World Vault event where it can spawn a handful of new pops, so maybe add it in to the end of that event as an option? The other time is with the nomads and the artisan troupe - if you buy the big tour special from a troupe they have a chance of settling some pops on your worlds, and the nomads can sometimes settle in your space as well, and they never seem to be suited for the world they settle on.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of letting the player do things they've explicitly opted out of being able to do because reasons, but implementing anything like that would be Wiz' call anyway.

That's assuming things work as intended, however. I had a look at the instances you mentioned, and they were mostly not fully working as intended. A lot of script from a few implementation paradigm shifts ago. The events should all behave better in 1.5 Banks.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

There's always going to be some jank in Stellaris due to a multitude of factors that would each, in isolation, make it impossible to eliminate unintended behavior to the degree that I would like. Everything from available manhours to wrangling a system meant for [is it the 15th century and are you fighting france y/n] in a randomized galaxy...

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Opportunity costs.

For what it's worth, I rarely focus on the Harmony tree when playing, but I'm bad at Stellaris.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Truga posted:

Speaking of typos:

"when not under attacked"

Where do I go report these?

Right here baby, it's been fixed

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Poil posted:

I wish scrolling in menus wasn't such a pain, the bar on the right is so narrow and if you move your mouse pointer one pixel too far to the right it closes the window. Whoever designed that deserves a slap in the face by a gross alien's extremity.
Scrolling sucks way less in 1.5!

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Fun development fact!

Sapience is the more correct term for self-awareness and higher cognition, but "sentience" is an extremely common mis-conflation of the concept in sci-fi works. We had a brief discussion about it within the team a few months before release, and decided to err on the side of tropes.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Libluini posted:

Is it possible to go into a textfile somewhere and change the tech-descriptions to be the correct ones?
It would basically be the easiest mod in the world to create. You can edit the localization files yourself using NotePad++ or Sublime.

Fake Edit: Was going to link to the dev diary but I know when I've been beaten.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Some of the more complex chains are blocked, but AI empires can and do get most of the events that a player would.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Are there any AI only events?

No. To differentiate ourselves from Crusader Kings II (where the AI gets to enjoy miles and miles of intricate triggers and weights scripted for it specifically) we've always made a conscious effort to make the game more fun for the player than the computer. :)

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Deceitful Penguin posted:

and the dreadlock dude.

Please respect former LP superstar cKnoor

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

GotLag posted:

remove the fishbowl helmets

wtf

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Wiz posted:

For example, LordMune, who posts in this very thread,
Never thought I'd get a shoutout from a dev on SA :allears:

wait

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

It's accurate. 80 times though? You need to step up your game (or wait until 1.5 where the chance of it triggering has been jacked up to a staggering 1% of the time).

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

GotLag posted:

This is an appalling pun and I love it.

It took me a full minute to get it and I wrote it. :eng99:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Baron Porkface posted:

Is fanatic purifieers still going to be an A.I personality?

Yes.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Arsonide posted:

Found a typo here, this should say Dictatorial, not Imperial. The logic is fine, it just says the wrong thing. Selecting Dictatorial allows it to be selected, selecting Imperial does not. Makes sense as Imperial does not have elections, and Dictatorships do on ruler death.
The tooltip localization string is even named "civic_tooltip_dem_oli_dic" and this still happened somehow. :downs:

Just fixed this internally, but it might not be a grave enough issue to make it into a hotfix asap.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

TomViolence posted:

Goddammit, some of the old bugs are still there and as irritating as ever. I got an anomaly that surveyed the rest of the system it was in automatically. Which revealed the primitive civ that was living in the system, but without triggering the flag that lets the game know I've encountered primitives, so the native interference and enlightenment policies don't appear on the policies and edicts screen. Even building an observation post directly over the planet doesn't help, and since I can't set the policies the buttons are greyed out. What's more, the critters don't show up on my species list and appear on the system map as "shadows," despite their pops having an apostrophe-laden species name and faces and all on the planet's overview screen.

Second time this has happened to me and the fix I used the first time isn't working, I assume because it's for an outdated version of the game.

I swear I've fixed this bug like twice already. Maybe third time's the charm when I'm back in the office on Monday.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

poverty goat posted:

I had a great game going last night where we were through the shroud with a chosen one and a 60k blob of fleet really starting to swing my dick around the neighborhood as I waited for the midgame crisis to appear. Then I got the generic victory screen that says something like "this is where thje game says how you won" in engrish and my empire was gone, totally deleted from the map, fleets and systems and all like they were never there. Reloaded my (ironman) save and it's the same. Is this a known issue? Any idea what happened or how to avoid it?

You were invading a planet weren't you, you utter fool This is fixed in 1.6. Abort any planetary occupations around the date you win/lose (you can still try again once you're past that point) and you should be able to avoid a premature end.

One day, when it's safely in the past, I'll tell the story of how that bug works because it's pretty funny.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

You're running a caste system then, check your species rights.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Yeah, we definitely should have put the audio director up to fleshing out gameplay mechanics instead, that would have ended well. :confused:

EDIT: I can understand the frustration, but you're smarter than this.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 13, 2017

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

VO selection happens in the settings menu, only if you choose "Automatic" will the game base it on your Fanatic ethos (or a (weighted) random one if you roll with three ethics).

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

I wonder if they'll re-record the tutorial messages with the new voice-overs. I'd be surprised if they didn't.
The tutorial messages and notification VO aren't handled quite the same way internally, which is part of the reason we didn't re-record the entire tutorial times ten.

That, and the fact that we have no illusions about anyone actually playing with the tutorial enabled past their first session. :shobon:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I'm genuinely not too thrilled about the direction content is taking for Stellaris, none of the core things that make the game dull for me seem to be getting improved and it doesn't even really seem on the roadmap either.

Fleet building / combat boredom, pop management, planet management, etc

I played a few rounds of Utopia with leviathans, at this point I really feel like the next DLC should do some substantial under the hood changes and it doesn't seem like those will happen anytime soon. So barring some late 2017 stuff it will be like 1.5 years of "maybe next patch" gameplay.

All of that is on the roadmap, I can assure you.

From the outside the distinction might not be obvious because the scope grew during development, but Synthetic Dawn is a Story Pack like Leviathans before it and not an expansion like Utopia. There will still be major expansions and associated major system overhauls coming.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

This looks very cool, but having to build every pop manually? :cmon:

The alternative would be... having the game automatically take away some minerals and energy to build a new pop whenever it is able? Probably wouldn't be very appreciated in the early game.

We are adding improved build queuing for robots, so scheduling full robotic population (verb) of a planet will take no more than a few seconds.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

That's what a 6.3 out of 10 from IGN gets you

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Strudel Man posted:

You gotta wonder exactly how that works, though. The entire planet is still full of drones. In what way does signing a treaty cut them off from the hive?

I guess you could say maybe the overmind is agreeing to cut the planet off. Like chopping off a hand.

It's more of a Yakuza finger thing

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

It's not coming out tomorrow.

In case anyone was wondering.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

so when is paradox hiring the creator of alphamod to make crusader kings 3
Sometime after the point where he stops treating any back-end change to the game as both a personal attack on himself and an affront to the inviolable sanctity of his mod. Maybe.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Danny Glands posted:

Will 1.6.2 games work with 1.8?

In general, 1.X to 1.Y breaks compatibility. Saves might technically load, but chances are they'll be extremely broken.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

:10bux: September 21st

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg-hcUcOIi8

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

Is this something normal people can do or does it require a lot of coding experience?

I think I saw a modder-created tool that had a GUI for, at least, laying out planets in a solar system. Wouldn't surprise me if there is something similar for galaxy layouts.

Doing it manually is time-consuming but not difficult.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

:siren: IT IS 1.8 PATCH NOTES O'CLOCK :siren:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

And somehow people still wonder why developers are reluctant to discuss anything that isn't 100% nailed down and finalized. v:shobon:v

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Strike craft will now be launched in waves from carriers during battle rather than just once at the start, I think. That's a change. Beyond that I don't keep track of what's horribly broken about strike craft.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Canonically an Ether Drake can't do psionic stuff. I just made that up, bug resolved :sun:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

I'm mad that people on the internet like a video game that I don't like.

The Kingdom Hearts game for the Gameboy Advance is an actual crime against humanity but some people like it and every time I think about that fact I feel myself dying a little bit on the inside. What were we talking about?

EDIT: Pre-order through Paradoxplaza to buy Johan, not Gaben, a bigger yacht. Please

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Splicer posted:

I'm going to take this with a grain of salt until LordMune weighs in.
Stellaris has come a long way since its 6.3/10 from IGN, I'm going to have to defer to Wiz on this one

(Don't play any version before 1.8 though lmao, literally unplayable)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Surprise Giraffe posted:

So after whining about this game in the endless thread Im now pathologically adicted to it. Wheeee

ha ha ha ha :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

• Locked thread