Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.
As with every other 4X game where players whine and complain about the existence of hyperlanes and how they offend their delicate sensibilities, I'm sure the entire problem will be more or less "fixed" by having systems connect to all nearby systems within a certain range and then turn off the scary hyperlanes so that they can't see them. In other words, the hyperlane slider that Wiz mentioned plus a mod.

However, based on the Paradox thread, the sky is falling and the fainting couch is just a few inches too far away. I'm sure it's good to know that the rest of the game was utter trash and the only reason they were playing Stellaris was for the two extra FTL types.

I hate to sound so flippant, but I've had this same conversation multiple times over the years with my own projects and it always boils down to the fact that some players don't realize that nodal movement is nodal movement. That or they don't want their movement options limited in what they feel is an artificial fashion. In almost every case in the past, I could throw the same space map on a grid which itself naturally constrains movement like hyperlanes would, and they are perfectly happy again. It is maddeningly frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

Shadowlyger posted:

Hyperlanes as a concept are stupid. Why the hell would you have space roads. It's space.

Since FTL as a concept has no basis in reality, you can come up with any number of fictional reasons why they exist. They could be naturally occurring wormholes connecting nearby systems, or the only navigable paths between those systems based on the range/endurance of whatever magic FTL drive that you're using. Two otherwise nearby star systems don't have a hyperlane between them? There's some sort of navigational hazard there preventing ships from moving between the two, it's just not on the map because it's not of strategic interest beyond the fact that it is impeding your movement.

It's trivially easy to explain away these kinds of things. But games set in a space opera setting like Stellaris by their very nature usually don't have to answer them because it's just a game mechanic, and the rules exist to make the game fun/balanced/Blorg-like.

Hyperlanes are ultimately no more stupid than any other form of FTL. They are simply a way to constrain movement across the map and create a network of artificial terrain. Is that realistic? Maybe not, but this isn't a simulation. If Stellaris was a "realistic" hard sci-fi game you'd be stuck in the solar system, there would be no aliens, and you'd be playing something more akin to Kerbal Space Program.

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah but keeping on going on about how hyperlanes don't make any sense because you can't lay tarmac in space or whatever is a bit silly

Tell that to the Vogons!

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Nope, no mods. Completely vanilla game aside from the DLC. Seems like I just glitched it in a stroke of bad luck.

I've had the same thing happen two or three times, also with vanilla Stellaris and no mods.

The only thing I've thought of to blame it on was that I think in at least one instance I had told the troops to embark, paused, and then updated the troop transport design before unpausing. But I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not, and the other times it happened there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

It killed one game outright because I was doing precision bombardment/invasion strikes against a stronger enemy with the only army that I had and then it got stuck in limbo and that was the end of that. :downsgun:

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

axeil posted:

So Reapers from Mass Effect?

Ah, yes, ‘Reapers’. We have dismissed this claim.

:turianass:

It would be a cool end game threat, although the Prethoryn Scourge is probably already too similar to make the "planetkillers from deep space" distinct enough of a crisis

• Locked thread