Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pretty sure you can creep on their planets if you have them surveyed and it tells you​ how pops are.

Also I beat fleet power 1.1M with around 600k by jumping in behind and shooting the battle cruisers and Titans in the butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Scourge still purge​? I thought they did a big long siege and then infested the planet.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ya it's for fun and Space Dickwaving

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

For the Pacifist Xenophobe faction, how do you satisfy the "Unwilling Resistance" modifier? The requirement says "taking up arms will displease them for a time", and I'm limiting my shipbuilding, not even taking them out to fight Amoebas and Drones. But decades pass and nothing seems to please them, and that modifier is enough to keep them unhappy and never generating influence. What gives?

Is it providing a malus or is it just a thing? Some of the entries are just YOU WILL REGRET THIS.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

It's providing a 5% malus, which I can't figure out how to fix. It's especially annoying because that faction gets stuck at 55%, so that 5% is keeping me from Influence gain. The wiki doesn't mention the conditions for that particular agenda item, and I'm not involved in any wars, defensive or otherwise.

I'm building some ships just to discourage my hostile neighbors from eating me. If Unwilling Resistance means I'm not even supposed to build ships, I don't know how you can satisfy it if you have any remotely aggressive empires near you.

I have the largest fleet in the galaxy and nearly every other civ has a massive "threat" opinion malus and no penalty from Unwilling Resistance on that faction so uh... one of us probably has a bug maybe?

e: Also a civilization called Galactic Synthetic Confederacy just appeared, got federation association from somebody, independence guaranteed by me, and then was immediately wiped out by ??? for ??? reason :iiam: I think it was a rebel state of someone but I'm not clear on why it just poofed with no ceremony

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 20, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Aaaaand the AE has switched over to custodial over an imaginary crisis.

e: And another synth civilization just popped up and died immediately

what the gently caress is going on

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 20, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Turns out the interface kinda takes a dump at some point around what is 1M fleet power with a super-admiral and now I can't actually see the thing to split this fleet if I wanted :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Holy poo poo, psychics can actually talk to the Prethoryn?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

They have issues taking planets, it just seems to take them forever.

I cheated up the robot crisis last night and holy heck are the constant synth saboteur events annoying.

Of the three crises right now the Unbidden are the only ones that work right.

...well I guess end of the cycle works right but that's a different kind of thing

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It is a big target with cruiser AI so it ends up out front where it doesn't really have the EHP to survive late game.

I always kinda wish it had unique gun of some kind instead of taking best stuff from you. Just give it a bit more flavor.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

By the look of the tool tip, chemical bliss is more of a thing to stop pops being purged from having high unrest, not something for a pop that should stay around.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

misguided rage posted:

Pretty sure you can't apply it to pops being purged, which is kind of a bummer.

Then what in the gently caress is the point

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The thing about warscore is that it works in small wars but gets really tedious when the civilizations start being big.

Which becomes an enormous problem when a certain major galactic event that hinges on the warscore system goes off.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You can savescum if you want, and it should be possible to add the tech to your stuff with the console too.

If you're psionic you can get an identical shield tech out of the Shroud though!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Well, the good news is that a bug currently lets you upgrade the rest of the fleet it's in and it can still jump with them :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Xarn posted:

Got ~140 hours of gameplay and haven't met swarm yet, someone help. :v:

It is probably partially because I research jump drives as fast as I can, but they are too good not to... and when I spent one game just waiting around without researching jump drives and with stagnant empires turned off, still nothing.

Yeah, the game is kind of annoying with the way the Swarm is just an "if neither of the others happens". Maybe if the Unbidden were changed to be tied to someone loving around in the Shroud a lot? Or maybe just having a researchable tech that improves the chances of the Swarm happening somehow in exchange for something? Not sure what that could be though since they're extragalactic.

I dunno, fortunately I'm not a game designer :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Hezzy posted:

I'm on an ironman playthrough, but I've got a trainer that enables the console. Do you know what the command would be?

Actually, checking on this I can't find a console command that gives a tech. Maybe it does exist but I don't see it on the wiki. Sorry :smith:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Like if couple traditions had multiple levels so you could really specialize?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I kind of think it might be a little too easy to 'switch off' ethos as needed.

Started as pacifist/materialist/egalitarians, pumped out tons of unity, grabbed a bunch of trees and then promoted a science party to instantly be fanatic materialist/egalitarians, swapped out agrarian idyl and had instant access to unrestricted war etc.

So maybe if there were further restrictions? The factions as it is are based off of your actions so maybe having high popularity with the pacifist faction unlocks their stuff and locks the militarist one?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I think it's a cute way to put a little bit more flavor into the game :shobon:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I want to hear what the lines/voices are for Xenophiles and Pacifists.

If Spiritualists are anything other than Zhang Jiao from Dynasty Warriors, you've let me down Paradox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6YPNKdPnV0&t=4s

What if they're a bunch of stoned 1960s hippie stereotypes?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

...If someone made a mod that changes VIR's voice clips to sort of appropriate Leonard Nimoy in Civ quotes I'd probably play with it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

Once you turn yourself into robots the green tech group becomes almost useless. Oh boy, more habitability, leader age, and gene trait points I can't use.

Then you can just spend all your society points on increasing military bonuses! :black101:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

For some reason this is one of the changes that made me the most happy. The idea that if I'm not microing and keeping a close eye on staffing a governor on every single core world or I wasn't OPTIMIZED drove me nuts. Now I just put some super academic lady in and you're done.

It's very nice because that way governors work the same for the core sector as any other sector.

I'm doing a robots game and we are okay at things, I have had two wars so far. One ended because the fanatical purifiers got annihilated by pissing off too many people in the first 50 years, the other one I just took some planets that were making my nice line marching along a spiral arm look ugly and unceremoniously booted their pops out.

Currently a fallen synthetic civ is being nice to me too.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Oh hello there, sad little synthetics.

Was the mean ol' xenophobic awakened empire enslaving you?

It's okay, the Modrons are now the rulers of your planet. Welcome to Order.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The thing for AI empires from the fallen AI empire is definitely random, I got a temporary malus to production but then savescummed out of curiosity and got a permanent +5%.

Neat.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I like how hilariously machine empires start snowballing once you get enough surplus energy to turn all your stuff into machine worlds.

Also I guess I managed to pick a fight with the only AE so far and win by timing a jump nicely so that my fleet ended up right all mixed up in theirs so my relatively lower dependence on huge guns worked out really well :v

Guess I'll take Defender of the Galaxy with my last Ascension point and wait until whatever threat wants to show up

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mechanical Ape posted:

What's the proper way to learn my rival's military strength and weapon tech, short of "start a war, then reload"?

My military strategy always boils down to a very simple flowchart: Is neighbor's fleet power Inferior or less?; Yes --> Attack; No --> Build more ships. I don't know if that's the system as intended or if I'm just terrible.

The fact is, while I love love the early game, everything comes to a halt the instant I meet my first unfriendly neighbor. At which point I have no idea if I can beat him (because "Equivalent" is too broad to be helpful), and the penalties for losing a war at that stage are game-ending, and if there is war a'brewing, I have no meaningful way to prepare for it besides "build more ships" and hope for the best.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, though, and "build more ships" just is the game?

Build a sentry array and creep on everybody's fleets, then counter what they are using (you can see easily if they aren't a crisis/fallen empire) and also having perfect awareness of where they are lets you do the dance to jump in behind them and hit their big ships before they can turn around to use big weapons. Very good for Titan fighting in particular.

I find that megastructure very handy.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 4, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The best positioning I have found is that a fleet with long range weapons can flatten the enemy ones if it drops in behind. If you have a decent amount of flak bearing destroyers and plasma bearing cruisers, you can just fall right into the middle so the fleets are just one big blob where you can't tell what ship is whose and the same thing where big ships with their big guns can't manage to be pointed in the right direction most of the time.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Welp I guess I just accidentally won when I beat the miltarist AE into submission, because apparently Stellaris works on Riddick rules so I inherited all of their thralls :confuoot:

I think that's the first time I won without it being a slog of "well I guess it's time to finish the game now". Never even saw a crisis!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Update: Seems like everyone else in the galaxy just went :stare: at the swarm of microstars led by a giant statue currently glassing the most powerful force in the galaxy because we all suddenly got +200 mutual threat modifiers. I'm going to turtle up and try not to die.

Is this end of the cycle or what?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Is there a way to tell what crisis has been chosen/if I rolled the mythical no crisis thing? It's now been well over 220 years and I killed the AE and technically won but I wanna know if it's worth looking at.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I actually kinda like the idea of a crisis that starts at multiple places, because it makes it so I can't just say "oh hey crisis, meet my SUPER FLEET right in your home system :pcgaming: " and have it be over.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Actually as I thought about it it would be kinda cool if the Unbidden had all three factions show up in different spots and make war on each other when they met

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

No I was asking the other people who have used it because I don't know if it's broken or just stupid.

That would be an incredible title for the awesome/awful mods thread

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I mean there is the star ruler tall option whereby you go wide, invent planetary thrusters, and then fly your empire back to your home system.

I laughed ridiculously hard when I strapped a planetary thruster and a bunch of surface guns to a planet in that game and got to watch it just chase enemy planets around shooting at them

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

No, only because star ruler also let you make ships larger than solar systems and that's much cooler.

It just doesn't look as funny as a planet chasing another one around its orbit.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Since when can I not make a fleet bigger than 500 ships :saddowns:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Split your fleet

I did, I wanted to put it all back together to see what it was up to under my level 10 aggressive dragon slaying super-admiral. I guess I'll never know unless I reassign him to the other one and do BASIC ADDITION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Meanwhile, it's 2460 I won back in the late 2300s I think it was when I beat up the one awakened empire and inherited all their thralls and there's still no crisis and I'm bored :saddowns:

• Locked thread