Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Come on 10% off on Utopia, that's kind of weak. I also haven't played since around release and was looking for a better incentive to start playing again. I guess I'll stop whining though because I'm probably gonna buy it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

So sectors, how should I be using these? Is it good to develop the colony and surrounding systems at all before I sector it or can I just immediately sector a new planet.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

It sorta depends on what stage of the game you're at and how fast you're expanding. Early on, yes, definitely only give developed worlds to sectors. Once that sector is reasonably established, however, there's no real harm in throwing them new or developing worlds. Pretty much the only worlds that I wouldn't just throw in a sector in the late game is one that has a bunch of freshly conquered pops with super high unrest - you'll want to build a few defensive armies on those first.

Thanks, I thought I could just grab resources by building colony's over my limit and then just instantly sector them early on, and that went pretty poorly. My other game I thought "wow look at all these resources around me ill just build as many frontier outposts as I can to grab them all :downs:!" without realizing that it would bottom out my influence and gently caress me. After reading a bunch of guides I've got a better Idea of how to manage my resources to expand a little more patiently. I like that Stellaris is more friendly to new people than the other Paradox games but it's still plenty different enough from Civ that I kind of have to get my head around it.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 27, 2017

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I am kinda surprised this game doesn't have an espionage component in it.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I like to try to get 5 worlds colonized in about 15-20 years, I find that gives me a good base to build from.

Wow that seems fast or I'm really slow (prob that one). I'm at about 30 years now and only have 4 :(, although I guess a 5th ship is on the way. Do you just beeline the expansion tradition to get to 5 direct control colony's or are you using sectors?

E: Guess you answered that.

Also for any other new players I thought this youtube series was useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxAmewv2-U

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

After reading that 5 core thing Efficient Bureaucracy sounds really good . Starting with +2 direct control seems way better than the +8% fire rate distinguished admirals I took on my babies first race.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

FOR THE UNION KEEPS US STRONG :ussr::hf::911: :jackreedcryinginfrontofthechicacgoskyline:

If I wanted to RP it more correctly I should have chosen egalitarian instead of militarist I think but I need more firepower to kill space tyrants. Also red/black but watching a red screen for hours on end was off putting.

What do people favor for 1st ascension point?

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 27, 2017

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Well its 2256 and here's where I stand. critique me

About to go to war with those Kar-Zu assholes for the second time. Also the Saiiban bird bros are my best friends, fallen empire to the north who I am on pretty good terms with. Kar-Zu is at like 3.3k fleet strength.

E: Picked MoN as my ascension perk, good god that's convenient.

2ndE: how do I get more leaders I've hit my cap at 12.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 28, 2017

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

How do I get people vassalized through war? I conquered my neighbors capital but nothing.

E: Ah i see, thank you.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 29, 2017

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Is galactic force projection as good as it sounds? +200 fleet capacity seems pretty nuts I have about 250 capacity right now at about 100 years in so that would almost double my fleet size since I'm just sitting on tons of minerals right now.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Is there anyway to upgrade droids to synthetics?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

Should happen automatically once the research is done. I have had problems with it when taking over planets that already have robots/droids after I already have the research done though. Not sure there is any way to fix that.

Yeah it worked after I reloaded a save and researched it again, odd. How come a few of my Synths are enslaved but others aren't, do ones I've already build not get that status?

E: Nevermind they're all slaves apparently.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 3, 2017

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Ok so now that I've turned my population into synthetics does my robo-empire still need food for anything?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Ugh my first game that got to late game has gotten too bogged down. It's like 2470 and it will be probably another 100 years of war before I can win. It's me + vassals and 2 other huge factions and although I am stronger it will a long while before I can grind them down. Think I might just start a new game as devouring swarm and see if that tickles my fancy.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I thought the military one sounded dumb but the others were pretty solid.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I'm playing as devouring swarm and just conquered a bunch of planets but these are planets I want to populate is there a way to colonize them before the inhabitants all get eaten and I lose control?

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 16, 2017

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Weavered posted:

I've not played as a devouring swarm but can't you just resettle some of your own people onto the planets?

You sure can! I'm dumb and forgot how to do it.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

So are missile weapons worth it now?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

How are you guys building your ships and fleets? Im still using this old guide but I'm pretty sure that's not really relevant anymore. Seems like energy weapons are still king IMO, I tried missiles and despite the buffs I'm not impressed. Battleships, yea or nay?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Is that a Dwarf Fortress reference?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

That's one hell of system, 4 planets hot drat.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I pretty much always take Galactic Defender/Contender they are way to useful to skip.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Battleships used to be a pretty terrible waste of resources and fleet strength, cruisers were the real workhorse brawlers you wished your BBs were, and I don't know if that's changed. They had (have?) atrocious hit rates against smaller ships so a swarm of plasma corvettes would eat them alive. They also have all that potential armor but don't use it effectively to tank hits instead hanging out in the back looking real pretty but generally being useless. I don't think this guide has been updated for 1.8 yet but it's what I am using and still seems pretty effective and this is his take on battleships.

quote:

You probably wonder why there are no battleships in the list.
After a lot of games, I reached the conclusion that battleships are not efficient to use in most cases, in my opinion, battleships primary problems are that they are always at the back of the fleet and only attract fire from other battleships while provide little threat or protection to the rest of the fleet. And that they are immobile and they are not flexible in terms of engaging different types of ships.

Because they are immobile, they are vulnerable to the massive firepower coming from AE battleships's XL weapons, while smaller ships are immune to said weapons when closing in with them, smaller ships move in circles around battleships in close range, preventing them of using their spinal mounted XL weapons.

They pose little threat to smaller ships and are hard countered by them. They are expensive, take very long time to replace, and tend to break your mineral stock pretty dam fast, and most importantly provide very little actual value for their high cost.

Because of their reliance on large weapons, they have difficult time hitting anything that isn't an another battleship and anything that has some degree of evasion and unlike destroyers, they do not benefit from high tracking to help them hit smaller targets and so they are only good at their own playground (battleship vs battleship).

Despite their large health value and armor, they do not attract fire away from your ships and don't tank any damage away from your fleet as they hang back during combat, unlike Cruisers.
Battleships always die last in space battles.

Destroyer is a much better platform to carry large weapons than a battleship, they have good evasion, much better hit chance, are mobile, and easy to replace in numbers.

While Corvettes, Destroyers and cruisers are all good against any type of ship and have flexible loadout options, battleships remain effective only against other battleships and fair poorly against everything smaller.

In a scenerio where a fleet that includes battleships, fights a fleet that has no battleships, the results will be that the battleships will have big issues hitting anything at all, greatly diminishing their effectiveness and pretty much becoming a dead weight.

He does later go on to mention that he thinks they work good against the Prethoryn. I haven't tried carriers battleships at all yet though so I'm gonna build a bunch of those and see how they work since I've heard alot of praise for them.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I guess I'll try more battleship fleets then, especially arc emitters . I posted that guide because It's the only in depth build by build guide I'm aware of and I've seen alot of "how do I build my fleets" posts by goons, myself included.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

A planet with just 6 tiles :wtc:. I didn't even know they could get this small.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

The only real small planet I've seen recently started life as a barren planet and got the anomaly ("Grimacing", I think?) that lets your scientist expend a few hundred energy to try and instantly terraform it. It was a size 6, actually, maybe that's what happened to that one? AI came along and did the event?

Possible, I just found this in some freshly conquered territory.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

There should be planet that is super rich in minerals and energy, but it turns out it's Unicron and after colonizing it he wakes up eventually.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

What are the conditions for a FE awakening again, is it fleet size or after a period of time?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Assimilators are strong as gently caress.

By 2300 I was far and away the strongest empire in the galaxy. Just got to wipe out a pesky FE before they wake up and then bulk up for whatever endgame crisis comes my way.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I think Wiz already said he didn't even want victory conditions in the game and they only exist as an after thought for the people who demanded it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

poo poo I just clicked purchase, welp RIP my 3 bucks. Anyway jumping back into this game again for the first time in awhile.

E: I haven't played since fleets were one giant deathstack for the most part, what should I know about how they work now?

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 22, 2018

• Locked thread