Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Officially took my flex day for thursday instead of a friday like a normal person. Watch the game have some show-stopping bug on release that doesn't get fixed until friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Improbable Lobster posted:

Stellaris is probably the worst possible example of a game being "truly abandoned"

I don't like a few of the most recent patch notes, the game has thus been abandoned.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Remember the Clark Patch, version 1.1? They release this patch and then abandon it to instead work on Asimov 1.2. Asimov was looking ok with a few updates but paradox dropped it off at the side of the road to work on Heinlein, absolutely leaving fans of Asimov out in the cold. It's like with every major update Paradox totally abandons the previous updates and just keeps moving on! And to all you people looking forward to 2.0 I say don't get your hopes up because one day they'll announce 2.1 and your precious 2.0 will be left to rot with no development or support. I don't understand how anyone can support this extremely shifty business model where the company keeps slowly improving the game for free along with modestly priced optional addons.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh man I missed good old-school Paradox nerd sperg fights this was beautiful thank you all, it tides me over until Thursday :allears:

It's a preview of things to come. Official paradox forums are going to be amazing this weekend.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like to set my own goals but it would be nice to have some mechanics build around that a little, along with more tools to achieve those goals. For instance maybe you're playing a pacifist country and as a goal you select "galactic peace pact" or something which is achieved when you've converted the galaxy through force or diplomacy to be pacifist and all sign some game "winning" treaty. Or maybe you're spiritualist and want to ascend, with enough research and understanding of the shroud you can do this and your empire pops out of existence, maybe giving you the option to play as the few left behind that are now blessed and supported by real gods. Or a materialist empire could create a huge matrioshka brain dyson sphere as an end goal. Just, give us a bunch of interesting flavourful end-goals to work towards that don't necessarily end the game for anyone but give a powerful or interesting reward. Most importantly they'd give some structured goal to actually work towards other than just painting the map your colour.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

One of the few nice youtube people. Him and the lady from retro space produce some good space content and they both just talk like normal people instead of brain damaged fm morning zone radio hosts.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

nessin posted:

Are you talking about the Vintage Space channel, or some other retro space style channel? If so, I agree both on Vintage Space and Illectro being awesome.

Speaking of youtube stuff, has anyone jumped straight into late game? Honestly I don't care too much about seeing early game content, I care more about how the changes have helped improve the end game and reducing tedium on that side.

Oops yeah Vintage Space is who I was thinking of, her stuff is good but she doesn't really do video games. I like Scott because he covers everything to do with space, from games to actual space news.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cynic Jester posted:

Sauce yer quotes.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/281990/discussions/0/3377008022040444930/
Dude has almost 100 hours in the game already and wants a refund because of the update.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can't wait for a random empire to use that for a wildly inappropriate empire government and aggravate my inner speed.

I wish we could change our colours and flag in-game. We can rename our selves at least. Always want to tag-switch to offending countries and "correct" their colours when the huge rival federation that forms right next to me invariably uses my colour and a similar shaped flag.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jazerus posted:

i can understand being really attached to a particular version of a game. ck2 was best balanced with ck2+ enabled just after old gods came out, in my opinion, and a lot of changes have taken the game in directions i don't necessarily agree with.

but paradox makes it easier than any other company to revert to any version that's ever existed, and while freezing your version does make modding somewhat more effort, the option is at least there to try to put together what you want to play even after the game has moved on

drat, old gods was the last time I played CK2 and I was curious about it but so many people say its this overwhelming mess now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm usually bored of a game before the next version comes out, so if the game stopped evolving I think most people would just lose interest more or less. If the options are "game stagnates" or "game changes, most likely for the better but not always" I'm always going to pick the latter.

Tomn posted:

Basically occasionally pissing people off is the price you pay for a constantly changing and updating game.

Actually the price is usually about $20 on release, $10 on sale if you wait a bit. Not a bad price!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Most strategy games with a lot of options will spread the options out into a few categories like Game Options, Map Options, Victory Conditions, Threats and so on that need to be clicked on to see them when starting a new game as to not overwhelm or clutter the screen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, it should probably get split into a few standard options, that always appear, and an "Advanced Setting" sub screen.

Yeah this would be the best option. Keep the basic sliders on new game creation like galaxy size, rival empires, and so on, then have an "advanced" tab with like 100 sliders, many with their own sub tabs with more sliders.

If I could recommend a single new slider it would be a "fleet size" slider that multiplied fleet power but divided naval and fleet capacity. So you could play where a typical mid game fleet could have 100 ships in it, or alternatively one where a typical mid game fleet only has 10 or so. Some people want to play with huge impressive swarms of ships, but I've always wanted a small enough fleet where I can actually name and "get to know" a lot of them.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 21, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah FTL is unrealistic, period. The whole hyperlane thing can easily be hand-waved away as some dark-matter web between gravity wells (a real thing) that some how facilitates FTL in certain rare cases, hence only a few hundreds stars in the galaxy are usable. It also, most importantly, makes the game actually fun and the map meaningful.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GunnerJ posted:

Is there a "real galaxy" mod that tries to roughly construct a game galaxy that conforms to what's known about the actual positions of stars or is such a thing so complex as to be a fool's errand?

You could maybe do a tiny tiny little chunk of our local neighbourhood of a few hundred stars, but it would be hard to model in 2d and would need to abandon the "whole galaxy" background setup stellaris has.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pigbuster posted:

I just realized that because of the new way borders work, the situation where a wanted planet isn't in your borders because "whoops it's actually really high up on the Z-axis" will be a thing of the past.

Yep, still getting whatever updated flat map mod comes out for 2.0 though, just don't like how it works.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Was thinking of pre-ordering to make sure I get it on release day but I got a tip that steam has tons in stock so we should be good.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Isn't it out at 6am PST?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Aethernet posted:

Stellaris 2.0: The Assassination Of Warp Drive By The Coward Martin Anward

holy gently caress this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do you build FTL inhibitors? I got the technology and 2 random systems in my empire apparently have them. One I think I got from a fortress, the other was a more newly built station. But I see no way to add them to existing stations, or why the new station has one and the old stations don't. Do all my systems with starbases actually have the inhibitors and the map icons are bugged, or do I need to some how demolish my starbases and rebuild them to give them the new inhibitor tech?

I also have 2 starbases with identical upgrades, missile battery and gun battery but one has 480 combat power and one 460 combat power. What?

• Locked thread