Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Archonex posted:

If the argument is that it's not interesting then i'm not sure what I can say. Special buildings and resource chains like that make it so that the various empires actually have a reason to squabble over resources. Since having them gives a fairly large bonus if you know how to use them.

The resource system as a whole ought to be considered flawed by that logic though. Since the stuff you mention is just as present in the vanilla game. It's just that the amount of bonuses you can get out of a planet are capped at a much lower rate due to the lower complexity of the economy game on planets without a mod to add some more depth to it. It's a choice between the generic "there are only buildings that give +1 more energy at each tier" system that vanilla offers or something that actually lets you dicker about and try to get more involved in that portion of the game..

I have to disagree that it's pointless complexity however. It does alter the way the game is played along with how you and the AI interact with each other. I've had empires try to snatch up worlds from me that had vital resources we both needed, something I wouldn't let them take without as much of a fight in vanilla since the only real resources are mostly one off "you get one of these and you have a global bonus forever" sort of deal.

The really, really, really, rare resources you didn't mention like sandworm spice and it's refined variants can be pretty give huge buffs too. The former gives you more trait points for genetic engineering. Which is huge if you use them right. The refined version can super charge your empire's FTL capability depending on the FTL type letting you hop straight into an empire. They don't break the game over your knee but they are pretty big bonuses if you can find a planet that has them and get your hands on them.

The result of all these new resources that act as a sort of pseudo minerals or energy resource instead of a buffing resource means that Alphamod actually adds more on the inter-empire end of things due to needing to plot your expansion properly and play a more complex game of grabbing planets than just "colonize everything forever in an outward circle and only give a poo poo at what the size of a planet is".

Is there a full on Dune mod out there? I'm thinking a bunch of bickering factions (Bene Geserits, Tleilaxu, Ix) with the synchronized worlds way out on the fringes of the galaxy building their poo poo up far away from the other factions. That'd be pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Archonex posted:

There used to be one that was in development. I have no idea if it's up to date or not however.

It's pretty easy to check either way. Stellaris's main mod community is pretty much located on the Workshop. So you can just type Dune in there and see what comes up.

Welp, doesn't look like there is. Mostly names and stuff. I need to figure out how to make custom maps. I really want that to be a thing now lol

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I just found out that Utopia was a thing, and I guess it's been out long enough for people to have an opinion on it. Reading the description and going through the last couple of pages, I guess it's good but still has the same old problems irt warscore, sectors, armies, and the late game slog? Is that about right? I'm a bit surprised ascension isn't straight up a win condition and you still pretty much have to reach a point where you decide you've 'won' and call it good.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I started playing again a month or so ago and just finished my first complete win the other day. This one went on for a long, long time. I'm the Calyxthian Kingdom, the Avabbian Star League is the other half of my Federation.

The year is :siren:2952:siren:, and I only just got the Federation victory. At this point, the people in my empire think of the War in Heaven the way we think of the American Revolution.

That's 9 Ring Worlds, 1 Dyson Sphere (Blind Wanderer), a sentry array in the same system with a ringworld, and a Science Nexus in Padjitauron. God knows how many orbital habitats. It got like this because I was playing as a slow breeding main species which seriously hampered my growth early on, and it didn't help that I was constricted in my selection of habitable planets. I was playing with Xenophile and Spiritualist ethics, but I was also trying to please a significant pacifist faction within my Kingdom. I ended up forming migration treaties with everyone who asked and turned all the immigrants to more state approved modes of thought. I was weak for a long time, and the Avabbian Star League would have crushed me early on if I had been aggressive. They got an advanced start and were federation builder types, so they spent a lot of the game mopping up all the local assholes, leaving me as a pacifistic hermit kingdom. I didn't fight in any war at all until the War in Heaven started, and in that one I pretty much just stayed out of the way.

I joined the League of Unaligned Powers, since that seemed like the smart bet at the time. The two Awakened Empires were the Hann Falir Regulators to the Northeast on the Galactic map, and a spiritualist AE in the west that's now part of Qlorvinserian Interplanetary Combine (former Fanatic Purgers who have since moderated to be more run of the mill imperialistic assholes). I don't remember the name of the spiritualist AE, it happened a long time ago. The war didn't last for very long. the western AE wasn't able to pick up and followers and they awakened later than the Hann Falir, so they got crushed quickly. The Regulators quickly asked for white peace with the League of Unaligned Powers since both the Avabbian Star League and the initiator of the League (whose name I also can't remember, and who used to occupy the big honkin' Preythorin hole in the NW part of the galaxy) were pretty strong. Soon after the war ended I was voted out of the League of Unaligned Powers.

So I was left with a small corner of space, smaller even than my core systems in the second image. And the Avabbian Star League was also kicked out of the LoUP for some undoubtedly bad reason, so I was once again allowed to peacefully grow in their shade. It's around this time I start to build Orbital Habitats en masse, trying to build up my fleet strength and maintain my independence. The Preythorin's showed up in the territory of the original LoUP president in the NW. gently caress em', enjoy Bug Hell you high-toned dickweeds.

I ended up spending a few hundred years really pushing the limits of building tall. I built a ringworld without master builders, and then all the other megastructures with it. I periodically brought in some fleets to prune back the Preythorins. I was perfectly fine allowing them to divert resources for everyone else, but I didn't want them to become a true galactic threat. Eventually I reached a point were I still wasn't nearly as strong as the Avabbian Star League, but I was close enough that they were okay with forming a Federation despite me being a Fanatic Spiritualist Monarchy, and they being a Fanatic Materialist Democracy. That's the Federation that I won the game with.

They aren't really important to the history of the galaxy, but I'll mention it because I thought it was funny. There used to be a Xenophile Fallen Empire in the northwest, it's now part of the Buhavilla High Kingdom. The Elaminid(sp?) Ancients, starfish people. They spent like a 100 years with the Preythorins bombarding every single one of their worlds, but never quite losing any of them because my Periodic Preythorin Purges :toot: usually took care of any infesters or constructors around at the moment. When I finally decided that I was strong enough that I didn't need the Preythorins to keep kneecapping everyone else and requiring my attention, I sent some 600k combined fleet power between the Fed Fleet and my own fleet. Almost all of the remaining Preythorins were killed, including the ones laying a hundred year siege to the Super Safe Preservation Planet where my pop would have been Totally Safe We Promise if I had sent them there. As soon as they built up like 50k fleet strength they declared war on the Buhavilla High Kingdom and lost their freedom for their troubles. :shepface:

After that things were pretty orderly. I constantly declared liberation wars benefiting either myself or the Avabbian Star League, slowly expanding my territory, and building more ring worlds. The Hann Falir still had a couple of subordinates in the last few years I played, so I decided I could fight the Hann Falir to free them and maybe vassalize them. The last real battle of the game started with the combined Hann Falir fleet of 950k facing off against the Federation Fleet with somewhere north of 1 million fleet strength. After several minutes of horrible chugging brawling my own 1 million fleet strength stack arrived, and the federation fleet bailed (I wasn't the president). It didn't matter anyway, the whole Hann Falir Fleet was destroyed, and I lost only 150k~. I freed the Hann Falir vassals, but wasn't able to vassalize them myself because late during the war the old League of Unaligned Powers declared war on my federation. I was able to liberate a few human planets (including Alpha Centauri) out of that war, and that was when my Federation hit 60% control of the map and won.

I wouldn't let a game go on that long again, but it was still fun. I'm going back to just deciding when I've "won" for any future games I play. Still this was an interesting one for me.

edit: There was one more Fallen Empire, but I almost completely forgot about them. The Jogolwa Shard was in the southwest part of Avabbian Territory. they war dec'd the Qlorvinserians long before any of them had awoken, lost most of their fleets, and were conquered by the Avabbians immediately afterward. I didn't become reliably stronger than everyone else until like the 2800's, and I never quite got caught up in tech.

edit2: My species had the venerable trait, so in all I had only 3 queens (one of whom ruled for like 20 years) and 1 king in all that time.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 11, 2017

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyone else have a hell of a time trying to figure out what to play as? I just kinda stare at all the options in the empire designer and just space out.

Me. Whenever I set my mind to starting a new game, odds are 50-50 that I'll get paralyzed by choices and just never start

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm glad I got my last game finished when I did, I'm really looking forward to the new expansion tomorrow. Stellaris is already a lot better than it was back at realease and I'm feeling optimistic about 1.8

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Midnight Voyager posted:

I just want to see the new event chain.

And actually I found out why, it won't trigger if you even have so much as cybernetic implants.

So I got an event that should give me Liquid Metal research but it did not. I was Googling for maybe a fix and...

I think I hate the world now.

I also had an event from a sub-ice ocean that said it would give me living metal but didn't. :shrug:

that image tho :(

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I've been enjoying my rogue servitor run so far. They're kind of weird, unlike other robot empires you have to gun for planets favorable to your starting bio-trophies if you want to keep your morale up. After you grab a few of those you can colonize all the other types of planets with your bots and start moving all of your robots to them and let your meatbags overrun everything on your ideal habitats. I don't have battleships so I'm not in very far in yet, but this game has been a nice change of pace.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
How are machine worlds? I just got voidborne and next up for my servitors is either that, or maybe get deeper into megastructures.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ugh its Troika posted:

Machine worlds are a flat 15% to every single resource, they own pretty hard. As a bonus no one else can colonize them except other robots, which means that even if you lose one in a war, your enemy is unlikely to be able to do anything useful with it.

Ah, well when you put it that way. :haw: I've already got all of my planets organized into robot worlds and trophy worlds so after I snag it I should be able to start turning them over right away. The Enforcers to my immediate south just woke up though soooo...

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Ambivalent posted:

This Fallen Empire wants me to install the new OS update... My instincts say no, but my curiosity says 'yes'. I'm already stronger than they are...

This actually ended up giving me a production bonus. I don't remember how much offhand but I guess it has a random effect

My current game might be screwed, I'm barely past the 150 year mark and the 2 fallen empires who started the war in heaven are immediately on my northern and southern borders. :shepface: I joined the enforcers since I thought they were stronger than the spiritualists to the north, but I guess I was wrong. The contingency just started last time I saved, and one of the machine worlds spawned in their territory so I'm kind of hoping I can use the distraction of the machine world to quickly end the war in heaven.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 1, 2017

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

My current federation has been presently surprisingly competent. They're actually participating in wars and when they propose one the goals are actually relevant to me. Hell, the current war was proposed by an AI and it's only goal is getting me a new vassal. Guess having the biggest fleet and cap in the galaxy inspires loyalty.

I have to wonder if the AI for picking war demands has gotten smarter because I remember way back when almost never joining in on wars the AI proposes because I don't want some random irrelevant planet way out in BFE. In my last couple of games though the AI picked a lot of the planets that I would have taken if I was the one proposing the war.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I managed to when the war with the unaligned powers guys but the Fallen Empire on my side is useless. I've managed to reverse engineer enough tech to throw together a decent fleet but I'm already nearly doubling my naval capacity just to reach about half the strength the enemy has. Aside from the unfortunate placement of the Awakened Empires in my game I don't even know what to do about the Contingency. It kicked in barely 150 years into the game and everybody seems woefully unprepared to deal with all these drat purge fleets.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
What map types do y'all like? I pretty much always go for huge 4 arm spiral and just go until something completely stops me from going any further or I look around and realize nothing can stop me.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

Nothing makes me not want to play/open up the game again more than being blocked during initial expansion (war in Stellaris is honestly kinda dull most of the time, especially early on where there's no options), so while I play hyperlanes-only I usually go for elliptical + large/huge + max fallen empires but reduce the amount of normal AI empires by around 1/3rd. No advanced starts. I usually increase the amount of habitable worlds slightly too, and primitives. I use a mod to remove clustered starts and try to space everyone out, I prefer it for everyone to blob out a bit before borders start to touch.

I tried doing that once and while it pretty much guarantees that's you're not gonna have a game cut short by getting boxed in somewhere, I really like working around the weird poo poo you get in a mostly random start. Advanced starts are pretty annoying though

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd love to see negotiable Neutral Zones.

This would be great, but Claims looks like a step in the right direction. I spent most of this last game waiting for the big authoritarian empire to my north who spent like 100 years hugging the border of the local xenophobe FE to push a little to hard and get the piss taken out of them, but it just never happened. I managed to survive and maintain independence until now partly by setting up a bunch of distant vassals in the mostly unsettled southwest (playing feudal), but now the first contingency planet spawned in one of my nearby vassals and I think the jig is up. :saddowns:

Now that I think about it, I think this is the first time I've played a game where no Fallen Empires awakened at all since that feature was added.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

CrazyLoon posted:

To this day I've still never played a game with the Prethoryn Swarm showing up. OTOH I've played tons of Unbidden games and only one Contingency, that quickly curbstomped me since I was so smart in deciding to start a game with increased endgame crisis difficulty.

Preythorins are almost all I ever get. I've only gotten Unbidden once in like 360 logged hours, contingency twice (this is the second), and I never got a pre-contingency AI uprising at all.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm tempted to just start another game, but I'm worried Apocalypse is gonna drop like the day after I start it or something :saddowns:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Chalks posted:

Well poo poo, the longer you wait the longer the rest of us will have to wait to play Apocalypse! :v:

fffffffffff alright. I'll run some kind of republic so i can lose quickly.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Libluini posted:

I always say the same thing, and then my republics take over the galaxy. Be warned.

Checks out so far, started with some big planets with good bonuses, and the only ideologically opposed empire nearby is pinned in between me and an sympethetic advanced start empire.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 23, 2018

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Turns out a girl I just started talking to is really into Stellaris and 4X's in general and APOCALYPSE REALLY CAN COME SOON ENOUGH FFFFFFFFF. PLEASE

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
N-noooo~ it's not like that~~

just put on the ears, im begging you

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

He's obviously trying to bang her or he wouldn't have opened that way. Are you serious with this post?

Honestly I'm not sure what I'm after at this point. It was just really exciting to me because I rarely run into people with similar niche interests. Also I don't really think all the sex jokes are weird, it is kinda weird that there's so many of them though.

Anywho, that democracy game I started is probably gonna end up with me dominating everything, as predicted. So maybe I can wait on Apocalypse a bit lol.

edit: weird that there was such a response, it was just kind of throw away statement because I was kinda geeking out a bit

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 25, 2018

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I still can't believe I played a game where I built 9 loving ringworlds from scratch, what the hell was I thinking :psyduck:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love something like an underground railroad for egalitarian civs to help slaves escape. We already have the refugee system, could just expand it to allow you to pick a target civ that has slaves, pay some upkeep, and give their slave pops a chance to move.

Of course how do you defend against that? Increase internal security spending? Would need to be part of an espionage system of some sort. Although barring that could make it so egalitarians cold plop a fleet in orbit of a hostile slave-having empire and have some sort of "slave emancipation" bombardment stance that rescues slave pops?

There already is an underground railroad event that starts when slave unrest in your own empire hits a certain threshold.

Edit: i think thats even exactly what its called. Its been a while since Ive got it though, I almost never use slavery.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Does anybody have a link to the first dev diary talking about the new update/expansion? I've read some of the recent ones but I'm still missing a lot of details.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

PS MoO3 is actually pretty good with mods, if you like the look of the suggested tile thing and havent played MoO3 it'd be a good tideover til Apocalypse

@THE loving MOON

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Developer_diaries

Awesome, just what I wanted. Thanks. :)

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I believe you can. You're not guaranteed to get minerals, though. Was in one of the dev diaries, I believe.

There ought to be a rare tech, 'Deep Core Prospecting', or something like that which can pop up after you can build a Colossus that can tell you if a planet is worth blowing up for it's resources. Like, you can set a special project and have a science ship scope it out for you.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Started my first game as extremely adaptive barbaric despoilers who start on a tomb world and hunger for alien flesh. I figured if im gonna blow up planets and really get to know the new war system, id might as well go ham. Looks like ive got a pretty lonely start, although ive got the enigmatic fortess nearby so go me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I think I was like +125 on food by the time my last game was over. :psyduck:

• Locked thread