Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Your team has me excited to play this expansion Wiz, tell them to keep up the great work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Honky Dong Country posted:

Fuuuuuck this comes out Apr 7th and I have to leave town on contract on the 24th. That may leave me a couple weeks but drat it that's not enough. I want to do a cybernetic empire, go full WH40k chaos with the shroud, a hive mind, carnivorous plants/reptiles that eat everything in sight, and so much more.

April 6th.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Every new update makes me want it right now. Next month is going to be a long one.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Another small update as well:

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

New new "Delicious" super trait for biological ascension gives a whole new meaning to the title of this thread.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

This is gold. Thank you Wiz, thank you!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Lol I just got a letter letting me know I'll have no power for 10 hours on the weekend utopia comes out.

Run an extension cord to your neighbor's house if he has power, that's what I did when something similar happened to me. I just ran the cord in through my window to my power strip so I had my computer (which doubled as a heater since it was like 14 degrees that night) alarm clock and light.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Why can I boil an entire system down to it's component elements and rebuild it as a ring world but I can't build a giant gently caress-off space station that builds titans?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

Can one of you theory crafting wizards tell me how to make an early game corvette that isn't trash? Any time I make them they just get shredded and do almost no damage back. Tempted to just not bother building them and just going straight destroyers.

Everyone else hates them, but I find that early game, missiles are fantastic. They have huge ranges and almost never miss and early on, nobody has point defense to keep them from hurting a whole lot. You can use them to gain a foothold against any neighbors that might be a problem and then start teching into better builds after you get to your fleet max. I actually still use them in my game and nothing stands a chance against my 110k doomstack kitted out in a mix of Quantum Missiles and Swarm missiles with some PD on my cruisers and no armor with tons of shields, not even the awakened FE that declared war on my federation mate. I still haven't had a spinal mount weapon come up to research yet but it's only 2290ish, I'll probably mix them in when I get them.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

FE's are kinda the same way, once you know how to fight them it's easy to knock one over with about 40k fleet power.

In my last game there was a War in Heaven and the opposing awakened FE had a stack of 177k and my little 80k stack couldn't scratch it. Of course my Awakened FE buddy wouldn't help at all. I just ended up abandoning it and starting a new game with just one FE to keep the War in Heaven from spawning.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I haven't tried federations yet, maybe they work but War Allies and Vassals don't for some reason?

I had my guys on point for multiple wars and I saw a friendly fleet once the whole war, and it was from my weakest vassal.

In my current game, I'm a Fanatic Pacifist manufacturing giant. I have never declared a war but our Federation is only about 20 planets away from victory thanks to the 200k fleet power juggernaught fleet I produced for the Federation. Every few years whoever is the new president just declares a war and they grab a bunch of territory, then it shifts to the next president who does the same. They just use my giant fleet and kill all their neighbors and I just keep building stuff and researching. The awakened FE finally did jump one of us, but my 178k fleet took their 150k fleet out and I still had about 115k left over at the end. I feel like all I need to do now is just wait for my greedy, warmongering Federation mates to win the game for me.

I hope I can manage to finish my Ring World before they do though.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

I feel like there shouldn't be discreet techs for military stations and habitats and such, but rather a generalized tiered system for "station" sized, "fortress" sized, and larger structures. Probably tied to starport sizes?

I really feel like Habitats shouldn't come so late, but also should start out kinda lame and only become the science/energy powerhouses they are later in the game.

Like, maybe we could build different levels of habitats, similarly to how there are varied sizes of planets?

Habitats are insanely good, letting you build them larger would make them absolutely game breaking. They are almost borderline broken as is.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Splicer posted:

When this comes up the suggestion is usually that you get meh habitats early and you can ramp up to the current amazing habitats.

Maybe if you scale the buildings on early small habitats back also, because if I could build cheap 6 slot +60ish energy batteries over every non-inhabited planet in every system I control I would still totally do that, then use all that energy to trade for minerals and be an unstoppable juggernaut. I'm already always super stoked when I find 3+ energy spots that I can mine, early habitats would make mining stations useless.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

alcaras posted:

So I tried a Pacificist/Spiritualist/Xenophile game, with the intent of never declaring war and instead building an awesome Federation.

Things have gone swimmingly, except for the Federation part -- I can't seem to get anyone to join mine. The closest I get is -70 or so, and that's with the Diplomacy Tradition fully fleshed out.

I had two immediate neighbors -- a Ruthless Capitalist and a Slaving Despot -- I managed to get defensive pacts with the Capitalist and keep the peace with the Despot, but neither wants to join my federation despite my attempt at plying them with advantageous trades.

There is one, small tiny empire that will join my Federation -- but when I invited them, everyone else, including my two neighbors suddenly had a -1000 modifier -- not sure why (the tooltip said they didn't like us nor did they like the other empire in the Federation, but it didn't say why). I reloaded from save and went Federationless, but I'd really like to get my neighbors into a Federation.

Their reasons for not joining are something like:
-50 Defensive Wars Only Policy (I'm Pacifist though, I can't change this, and Pacifists are my largest faction, so I can't even drop Pacifist by going Fanatic Xenophile, since it'll always drop Spiritualist since, as I understand it, it drops the least representative pop).
-20 Border Friction

I'm Charismatic and Communal too, not sure what I can do to get these folks to join my Federation. No other federations want me to join either, but I can get association status with a few, but it's the same -50 Defensive Wars policy everywhere.

Are Pacifists just screwed on Federation joining? That seems unintended and counterintuitive?

(Is the correct answer to uh, Liberate, my neighbors and uh, adjust, their views to the proper ethics, whereupon they'll join my Federation? That also seems counterintuitive -- the entire point of this playthrough was that I wasn't going to fight wars, only Lend-and-Lease my federation mates to great victory. But to do that I actually need Federation mates...)

In my Fanatic Pacifist, Materialist game I had no problem starting a federation and never starting a single war (and winning through a Federation victory) The key is to find neighbors with similar ethics or mutual rivals. You can also make trade deals with people to get them to like you better and also guarantee their independence. Eventually they will come around to joining your Federation. I was frustrated when two of my friendly neighbors hated each other and once I got one to join the other refused, but a few decades later the hatred disappeared (maybe because they loved me still so they got over their hatred of my Federation buddy, not sure) and then another empire that hated me ended up getting invited by one of the other member states and we solidified our position. Then I just waited until I was president and threw my massive production into making a giant Federation fleet and sat back while my Federation mates made all their dreams come true. The only bad part was the Federation was so successful that I won before I managed to finish my Ring World which was my main goal. I just wanted to sit back and build!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Huh. Just had the war in heaven kick off for the first time. I led the non-aligned worlds, and when the awakened empires declared war on me, all my vassals flipped to their side. :paradox:

Yep, this absolutely crushed my first Hive Mind run. I had 5 vassals (was waiting to get the tech where I could gene mod them into hive mind pops before I integrated them) and they made up about 1/2 of my military power. Then the war on heaven happened and they all joined the opposite FE that I joined and I no longer had vassals. Then the 177k FE fleet just ran rampant in my empire and my little 80k fleet was powerless to stop them.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I'm super excited for all of these changes. I'm going to miss my wormholes, but they are by far the best form of FTL in the current game anyways and do honestly seem like an unfair advantage (that I still use of course.)

Also are you going to do a Blorg series of vids for the new update? I always love the Blorg videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I wish I got fired right now, gently caress

Yep. I want to be home managing make believe space empires, not dealing with companies who are angry that they had to pay sales tax (because they didn't bother to tell us they are exempt... apparently we should just magically know the tax status of each of the hundreds of thousands of companies that we do business with)

One of these things is definitely more exciting than the other! At least I can read fellow goon's experiences while I wait for 5 to come around.

• Locked thread