Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I picked the game up in the humble bundle and I've yet to play it because I can't decide what kind of empire to play.

Hell, just picking an appearance is hard, especially since the Peacocks have joined the competition with the Geckos, Snailiens, Chirpy (those magnificent eyebrows!), and a few other outliers.

Minor Nitpick: If you wanted to be accurate to real peafowl, only the males should have such resplendent appearances, the peahens should be more simpler. Actually I've noticed a lot of the various species/portraitists lack any kind of sexual dimorphism.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I edited my user_empire_designs.txt file to add in some races people had made and now nothing is showing up in game. Deleting the new entries still shows nothing. There go the handful of empires I made myself (well, I guess I can just slowly remake them by hand).

Did I do something wrong? IS there an easy way to add people's empires from a pastebin without slowly manually entering poo poo?

[edit] Figured it out. Apparently you can't use just any text editor to edit the .txt files, you have to use ones that won't mess with encoding or something like that. Notepad++ worked.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 10, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Demiurge4 posted:

That's pretty sweet. I can't wait to abuse clone slaves.

Screw that, I want The Horatio. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'm really surprised no one has done a set of Apes (as in Planet of The) portraits for Stellaris. It'd be a perfect use for Syncretic Evolution.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'm surprised (and disappointed) someone hasn't made a B5 Earth Alliance ship/uniform pack for humans.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yadoppsi posted:

I know if you take the Syncretic Evolution civic and start on Earth your proles will be Neo-Chimps as if the Humans won in Planet of the Apes; has anyone seen primitive Earths with that? Can it even work since pre-FTL civs usually have custom civics?

I was genuinely surprised when I saw there was no classic movies style Ape portraits on the workshop after noticing the syncretic option.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Anyone else have a hell of a time trying to figure out what to play as? I just kinda stare at all the options in the empire designer and just space out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It's obviously not the same thing but I'm pretty sure you can create new custom starting systems by editing/creating files.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Psycho Landlord posted:

Only thing it's missing is music.

No Space Battleship Yamato mods yet though :(

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=935337268

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So are we gonna get a new thread title? I mean its not needed, "To Serve Man" works surprisingly well for Rogue Servitors. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hyperspace only for life. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Didn't Wiz or someone else from Paradox say they're seriously considering eventually making everything hyperlane only?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Midnight Voyager posted:

This is a thing I swear people say every 20 pages, but that is inaccurate. They said something about how if they had a chance to do it over again, they would just have hyperlanes and that the three types of basic travel were a mistake, but they're not going to cut out two entire types of travel because it wouldn't be fair to players.

Yeah, that makes sense, it did seem like a dumb rumor.

Roobanguy posted:

no point in taking out other travel options when you can already set the game to hyperlane only. kinda wish you could also turn off jump jets though.

Agreed. And there is probably a mod out there that kills jump drives.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Alright new DLC is out! Time to finally get in a decent game of Stella-

Uhhh, hmmm what do I want to play as? :confused: Try a new machine empire? See if Authoritarian Dickwadism is good now? Or maybe instead.... Arrrgghhh, this happens every time!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The new advisor voices are pretty good.

Spiritualist Advisor AI: "Thinking machines are an affront to nature. These profane constructs must never be allowed to- oh wait... :ohdear:"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What kind of game/galaxy settings do people like to play? So far my first game feels veeery empty.

Would've thought I'd run into someone by now, but just a few pirates, space fauna, and some artisans in a space station.

PoptartsNinja posted:

This expansion :allears:

Can you post the empire entry for this from your user_empire_designs.txt in [user]/My Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris ? I want these guys in my game. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 22, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Dude, what the gently caress!

I thought we were FRIENDS, Emata! You just loving cockblocked me big time! Your space isn't even connected to that poo poo and there aren't even any inhabitable worlds in that area (just the creepy space orb floating next to a blackhole). Whhhhhyyyy?!

Can I tell them to dismantle this outpost or give it to me somehow? I'd rather not get into a war with a fellow representative democracy, especially when I've got the religious Zealots pushing in on my territory. I reaaallly want that outpost out of my way though... Damnit Emata :smith:

[edit] What a bummer note to end the night on. I guess ensuring I get that link between arms instead of the Pirazean is even more important now...
[edit2] They just built a second outpost up there in a neighboring system and pushed me out of a system where I had a few mining stations active (which apparently just go poof?). You're pissing me off Emata, damnit.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 22, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The new music is so good. I wish the DLC music showed up in the soundtrack, or had their own soundtracks I could buy. :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Strudel Man posted:

Man, the degree of cheating from the AI is kind of frustrating. You ever tag over in the midgame to compare an AI empire's nominal income compared to actual? It's ridiculous.

I'm looking at an AI fanatic purifier in 2294: 03.29, their minerals are at 562, with stated income of +106. On 04.01, they're at 813, an actual gain of 251, over twice their nominal. I don't know if it's bonuses to income or reductions to upkeep or what, but it really doesn't feel like I'm playing by the same rules as my opponents here - they can build and sustain fleets that would bankrupt me.

Unfortunately AI cheating is a staple of the 4X genre because making an AI that can compete with skilled players is incredibly difficult if not nearly impossible. The easier difficulties have less cheating.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sure, here you go!

Edit: holy heck, table-breaking. Sorry!

Thanks for this :tipshat:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Dramicus posted:

The generic machine interaction with organic pops seems great. They all get plugged into the matrix and give you an instant 6 energy per pop. I took 2 planets in one war and went from +15 energy to something like +165. Granted they were big, populated worlds. It almost felt like cheating.

Its a limited resource, you're not just plugging them in as Matrix Batteries, the process is fatal.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Time, budget, feedback, etc.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Might also destroy planetary improvements, though doesn't orbital bombardment do that anyways?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Eiba posted:

It's all about the galactic terrain. Terrain and chokepoints and fortress systems are awesome.

This, I want my strategy games to have some terrain.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

An early 80s Sci-Fi/Chris Foss/Peter Elson/etc style shipset would be pretty awesome, yeah.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'd love to see negotiable Neutral Zones.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I was talking with someone on an unrelated Discord about Stellaris and comparing it to CK2 and EU4. To cut to the point, we both agreed that it would be neat if there was an (optional) "canon" Stellaris Galaxy. A preset map with preset empires (who don't all necessarily start with just their homeworld, and start at varying levels of development), and perhaps a set of bookmarks that span the galaxy changing over the centuries similar to the historical bookmarks in CK2 and EU4 (perhaps they could even pass thousands of years ahead into a second "cycle" after an end-game crisis destroys galactic civilization leaving only a few fallen empires and some scattered tombworlds that were once the capital of major empires).

It'd be neat to get a bit more of a feel of "history" and setting, but its a pretty ambitious idea. Not sure I'd actually play on it super often though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They'll probably need manual adjustments. I had to change a few of mine after the last major update.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Kinda want to play Stellaris, but mostly want to wait for Cherryh.

So much good stuff in that compiled list of changes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What would the Kushan just coming off Kharak be, as a Stellaris race? Spiritualist Militarists?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

VirtualStranger posted:

I wish there was a mod that added more AI personalities that didn't fill half of the galaxy with incredibly stupid joke empires based on some overly specific gimmick.

By AI personalities do you just mean custom races or literal AI Empire behavior altering mods?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Trivia posted:

There is nothing about this that I don't like.

I don't like that he couldn't muster the rage for two more "Die."s so its a nice even block of hate.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just make it an event based on a quest chain, like the "Old Gods" one where you find temples in space and stuff.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Share them when you're done! :v:

Is it Thursday day? No, no, next Thursday!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

One day C# Aurora will be out. One day.

Speaking of days, its far too many until this expansion is out! Its funny but Paradox (the publishers) are doing the three games coming up in the next few months I'm looking forward to, Apocalypse, Battletech, and Surviving Mars (though I'm starting to cool on surviving mars based on streams).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

KoS hasn't been doing much that interests me lately and she is starting to feel increasingly shilly. At least she hasn't been doing the overwrought YT personality thing.

I wonder what a Blorg streamer would be like...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Improbable Lobster posted:

You can use steam to play earlier builds of the game.

Yeah, I'm not really interested in it myself, but its pretty awesome that PDS makes this an option.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I can't find a single video where the host isn't annoying/stupid as crap or face camming or both.

I'm interested in the game, not your stupid YT Persona. I guess I'm just too old to be the target market for these people.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I bet most of those active modding and community updates are for the most recent versions of those games, regardless of how old they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

FTL I understand, but has anyone said they're gonna miss the current borders mechanic?

Cause good riddance.

• Locked thread