Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Glass of Milk posted:

Sectors just feel like an expansion limiter with no interesting flavor. To me, it should be one of those things that's modified by government type. A machine consciousness or hive mind shouldn't need sectors.

That sounds to me like a REAL good reason to never, ever play Machine Consciousness or Hive Mind. gently caress having to micromanage every single goddamn planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So they first attacked in a fleet of 60k when everyone had 20k maximum.. then they attacked with a 190k fleet when I own half the galaxy with like 35 planets and 700 fleet support with a 100k fleet.

How the hell do I compete? Save money till maxed out then go over my fleet support and jihad that poo poo?

You must be playing on a REALLY small galaxy is 35 planets gets you half of it.

And also yes, if you want to compete with a freshly Awakened Empire, you're gonna have to far exceed your fleet capacity. That or just surrender and wait for Decadence to build up.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Aethernet posted:

Moving the game away from having multiple FTL types at the beginning is a good thing.

No, it's not.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Aethernet posted:

Have you considered.... that you might be wrong??!?!?

I had considered the possibility, but ultimately discarded it because what kind of dumb moron would want to play this game without Jump Drive?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

McGiggins posted:

I think that ships transiting a system should have to actually transit the entire system to the jump point market for the system they want to go to.

Make it more Lost Fleet.

gently caress no, that'd be annoying as hell.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Here's my hot take on FTL:

gently caress Warp, Hyperdrive AND Wormholes. Just give everyone Jump Drive.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Short version: First thing everyone will do is a pick up a mod to restore the old FTL functionality. Gotcha.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Oh, reading further, they've hosed up Jump Drive. Great, there is no further reason to play this game unmodded.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Bholder posted:

By "hosed up" you mean they made them loving amazing, sure

Long rear end cooldown that cripples your fleet after using it is not exactly my idea of "amazing".

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Stations are a joke now late game but if you can have them with 10s of thousands of fleet power I'm suspecting being able to skip them will indeed be a big deal.

So, exactly the same functionality it currently has, but worse. Again, I fail to see how this is "amazing".

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Because sometimes less is more. Limitations can be, and frequently are, more interested than limitless power.

But in this case, it isn't.

It's not even being forced to use only one FTL type that irks me. It's being forced to use the worst FTL type.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Okay. There’s basically nothing more than can be, or need be said, that hasn’t been said already in the dev diary. They didn’t pick hyperlanes arbitarily. Most people consider the warfare in Stellaris it’s greatest weakpoint, hyperlanes are seen as the most effective way to remedy that. It is a shame you disagree but c’est la vie.

Yes, they picked hyperlanes because it was the one that fit with Wiz's ~vision~ as opposed to the one that was actually good.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

So are we at least going to get some "terrain effects" that buff you instead of all being just debuffs? Cause if they're all just "X doesn't work properly in this system" then that's getting modded out too.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

They're not debuffs they're mechanics changes. Nebulas hiding poo poo isn't always bad - they make for excellent rally points. Pulsars turning off shields isn't always bad either - throw a plasma fortress at a pulsar chokepoint and you're laughing at all those shield and anti-shield using scrubs.

They're debuffs, call em what they are.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Libluini posted:

Since they aren't, that's not possible. Sorry.

(Seriously, the pulsar for example is a giant buff to armor and anti-armor weapons. Someone using those will surely feel the heat of this "debuff" as his enemies are literally melting in his plasma-fire.)

All that does is force you to micro your way around the pulsar or go refit your entire fleet with plasma weapons of your own to kill it, and now you have control of the plasma-equipped pulsar fortress while you go refit your fleet again with weapons that don't suck against shields.

In other words, all it introduces is a shitload more micro.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

1) You can't micro around the pulsar fortress because it's the only way into your enemy's core worlds.... almost.... almost like that's intentionally the point of the overhauls :thunk:

And the point I'm making is that this is stupid. There shouldn't be choke points in loving space.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

You are completely correct from a technical standpoint. However, Stellaris is not a hardcore spacesim, it is an empire building game that happens to be a space opera, and it takes place on an incredibly small timescale if we're talking realistic interstellar warfare and features FTL travel, and most importantly, is a video game, so you're completely wrong from every standpoint that actually matters.

Even within that context, there shouldn't be choke points, because the only way they can even exist is by forcing everyone to play with the worst and most restrictive FTL type. If your FTL type is only enjoyable when you're forcing everyone else to use it, then your FTL type is bad.

I would be entirely okay with Warp only or Wormhole only, even wormhole lets you go anywhere within range of the station. Hyperlanes are boring and unfun.

My god you're right, we must act to excise all elements of the game that are an affront to realism at once!

*throws entire game in the trash*

hobbesmaster posted:

There also shouldn't be FTL but :shrug:

What the gently caress are you two even talking about. I never said anything about "realism".

Eiba posted:

Counterpoint: There should be because it's fun.

Counter-counterpoint: No, it's not.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

So sayeth something awful poster Shadowlyger, arbiter of fun.

This man gets it.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Tyrel Lohr posted:

I hate to sound so flippant, but I've had this same conversation multiple times over the years with my own projects and it always boils down to the fact that some players don't realize that nodal movement is nodal movement. That or they don't want their movement options limited in what they feel is an artificial fashion. In almost every case in the past, I could throw the same space map on a grid which itself naturally constrains movement like hyperlanes would, and they are perfectly happy again. It is maddeningly frustrating.

I mean if you put a hyperlane map on a ground game and just threw terrain in the way people would probably be fine with that. But there is no terrain in space. There's just empty space there. And when you force people to go from "you can go through that space" to "you can't go through that space because there aren't any space roads there" then yeah, they're gonna let you know that you're stupid.

Hyperlanes as a concept are stupid. Why the hell would you have space roads. It's space.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

There's also not FTL travel in space my friend.

Okay if you're just going to be intentionally obtuse then there's no reason to talk to you.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

In my game where space is a two dimensional ocean, newtonian physics do not exist, spaceships have wings, and a magic race of slug people is summoning giant demonic monsters from another plane of existence, the existence of hyerplanes is where I draw the line.

Yes, the mental image of a giant two lane highway in space does, in fact, break my suspension of disbelief.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Hello from the future!

That only serves my point better.

I'd be okay with Stellaris being Futurama, though.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

It's especially funny when he's insisting that he must imagine hyperlanes as literal space two lane highways when people have offered plenty of other, less retarded explanations in the thread.

I mean they're still space roads, dude.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Like the ones in real life, yes

Those are in-system.

Also I'm talking about their gameplay implementation so I'm not sure why you keep talking about real life.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Viscardus posted:

If it's just about gameplay, why don't you wait until you play the new version of the game (or at least read more of the upcoming dev diaries so you get a fuller picture of the changes and what they allow) before deciding that it's terrible?

Because Hyperlanes already exist and are already terrible.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

gowb posted:

His argument is a bit haphazard but I don't think he's saying it's not realistic, it's more like it doesn't fulfill the fantasy and freedom of a space game if your movement is constricted so much, which I can understand.

Yes, thank you.

Being forced to follow the roads makes it feel more like a ground game with a space skin.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

My fleets only attack mining stations and such if they're on aggressive, yeah.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Bholder posted:

Well yeah, space terrain majes it feel more like ground but space is also pretty empty and boring.

Also nearly every space game (4x or not) uses some form of space highways for ftl

Which is why Stellaris was so cool, having ftl types that don't suck.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Bholder posted:

It also let you charge the middle of the enemy capital without anything to hold you back

Yeah, that was cool and good.

Viscardus posted:

Hyperlanes as they exist now and hyperlanes as they will exist when the update comes out are very different, though. If your complaint is about hyperlanes as a concept, that's irrelevant, but if you're genuinely concerned about the gameplay, you shouldn't be jumping to conclusions based on the previous system.

They work exactly the same way, only slower because now you have to haul your rear end across each system you move through. And everyone is forced to use them instead of other, better ftl types.

Like, my most recent game is on a Huge galaxy, playing that poo poo with hyperlanes would be Super Cancer.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 3, 2017

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

I wonder what it's like having the platonic form of poo poo taste.

Wouldn't know, why don't you tell the class.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

StealthArcher posted:

Send shadowlygr there. Then shoot him through the wormholes he loves so much.

Why don't we shoot you through a wormhole

into the Shroud

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Build a building? OK! Put a pop in it. How? No idea.

Click and drag an existing pop. Or wait for a new one to grow. Or build one if you're robots, but then you wouldn't have a tutorial at all, I guess.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Shugojin posted:

I know the immature ether drake isn't THAT good but it's so satisfying when the little bugger shoots a beam of plasma death across a fleet battle :kimchi:

"BWAAAAARGH!"

Nuclearmonkee posted:

wrt slamming out habitat layouts by hand, they really do need to add hotkeys for all of the buildings so I can just select a tile and hit a button instead of click a million times. All of the buildings.

Huh. In my experience if I put a habitat in a sector I'd set for research, the sector AI would just automatically fill it with research buildings. I'd just build a zillion of them and never even look at the things (Past that first one).

Then again I usually play machines.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 4, 2017

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Shugojin posted:

He (and the Automated Dreadnought) can come with a jump drive if you do the event late enough. The upgrade behavior is weird for them.

If you upgrade the rest of your fleet with Jump Drive, the Ether Drake should still stick with them. Mine had Wormhole Drive, but when I upgraded the rest of the fleet to Jump Drive he just stayed in the fleet and jumped with everybody else. FTL type seems to be majority rule.

Don't remove him from the fleet ever, though, you won't be able to add him back in.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Libluini posted:

Here I have to disagree, because if it worked like this you'd fill up your resource stash in peace time even faster, then ludicrous amounts of resources will be wasted, instead of piling up in your sectors: To make your idea work you'd have to raise the new res caps to such stupendous heights many players would never even run into them anymore! Which would be silly, too.

What would be nice would be some more granularity, like being able to lower sector-taxes below 25% to give struggling sectors a larger boost, and above 75% to drain more from super-rich sectors.

Sector taxes go down to 0% and up to 75%.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Aethernet posted:

Having played with it a little, I kind of feel that World Shaper is a bit of a trap pick. Terraforming to your preferred planet type costs at least 2500e, whereas MoN plus genetically adapting your race to any given planet type is considerably cheaper and available at nearly the same time. You also only need to adapt once, rather than terraforming over and over again.

There may be an outside case for it if you've got ethics that give you a Purity faction, but lol if you went Xenophobe and didn't pick up at least Adaptable.

If you're playing a machine empire, I'd say it'd be worth it for terraforming everything into Machine Worlds.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Xemloth posted:

What if there was an ascension perk for purifiers etc which gave them an increased buff but set them to forever war with everybody as soon as it's taken

Essentially, a perk to turn yourself into a crisis? I like it.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Do they show up always or only if you don't have the machine FE around?

They show up if the Contingency takes over a certain amount of the galaxy.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

If you have Mega-Engineering, you should be able to repair it. Click a section, click the huge repair button.

If there's no repair button then I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Well I guess that one can't be repaired then.

I think the only repairable ringworld you can find is the one from the Cybrex precursor chain. Other than that, other busted megastructures can be found around the galaxy randomly.

The best is when you find a broken Dyson Sphere, because it turns out repairing one doesn't count towards the limit of one that you're allowed to build.

+2k EC per month? Sure why not.

• Locked thread