Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

In that there are at least two mods that add more map/flag colors, I don't see why adding colors to the base game would provide much in the way of difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

You know the only problem is that every time I poke my head in here it's always about how cool the NEXT update is going to be.....which pretty much kills my desire to play the game right NOW. :sigh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Decrepus posted:

Does xenophile mean you are loving?

Yes.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Demon_Corsair posted:

I'm back with more questions about why numbers don't seem to matter in combat. 1.1k of my corvettes vs 1.2k of their corvettes, and the somehow do 4x the damage.

Here is what I was up against

I started with torpedos and got my rear end handed to me.

So I switched to a similar version of what they were rocking

And still got loving wiped

I just need to never try early game wars because no matter what builds I use or what I'm up against this always seems to happen.

Well the tech matters. The first problem was Torpedoes. They're a trap in the early game because their low tracking makes them terrible against small, evasive targets...like all those enemy corvettes. The second problem was your shields. You went into battle with ships with identical guns but with only 60 shields to their 90 shields. And you went in with fewer ships. If you're going to win a fight you've got to be either better or more. You went in with worse and fewer. And what should have happened is what happened. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Running a negative energy income is fine, even for extended periods of time - you can easily cover the deficit by just trading to refill your stockpile.

I've gone through whole wars like that, peddling star charts, active sensor links, and spare minerals all around the galaxy while I fight.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I really like the mechanic of extracting stockpiles dropping to 25 influence instead of 100 during defensive wars. As for habitability, I've just been terraforming everything into Gaia worlds, that's the catch-all perfect planet type for everyone, right?

I can't figure out how to fix this thing this faction dislikes, what are the migration controls it's talking about? I've got about as open as possible laws in the edicts and stuff screen.

Its in the Species Rights for every individual Species in your empire. Make sure you're as permissive as possible for all species and they'll cheer up.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

So what would cause all the little liberated one planet empires to suddenly go from +500 opinion and friendly with me to -250 and hating my guts all at once? All these guys were my buddies and I protected/liberated them at various points for centuries and then they pull this poo poo. Like the only thing I did was conquer the incredibly hostile slave empire that had enslaved their former, larger empires in the first place.

Eventually I got sick of their trash talking and just took'em all over, cleaned up the diplomacy window real good too. A shame since one had been my buddy from like day 1, until they got wiped by the slave empire and became this one planet thing.

Also, my taking the four of them over accidentally beat the game. :v:

You can hover your mouse over their Opinion of you to get the full breakdown, but most likely it was Border Friction. When you became their only neighbor you stopped being their long distance sugar daddy and started being the reason they couldn't expand anywhere, which is why they suddenly didn't like you.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Conskill posted:

Not really. Synthetic Dawn isn't quite at Leviathan-levels of added utility to everybody. It's quite cool and I enjoy changing it up with machine empires sometimes, but it's easily missable if you don't care for the concept.

As far as DLC goes, the priority is Utopia > Leviathans > Synthetic Dawn > Plantoids.

While I agree that SD ain't as important as Utopia or Leviathans, I must say I do enjoy playing against all the AI craziness that SD introduces, even if I don't play as AI much myself. It makes for a richer and more interesting universe

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

So I've been playing with a galaxy filled entirely with races I've created myself (barring the Fallen Empires whom I can't customize) and it's wonderful. No more having to remember which of the Whatzit Unified Commonwealth or the Whozit Common Unity is friendly and which hates my guts. Hey, it's The Green Death! Gotta watch out for those fanatic purifier plants. They're real bastards.

Even better, I can create some pre-made storylines. I'm playing as Terrans lost out in the galaxy, while another faction of Terrans (same pic, same stats) gets the Sol package. Those other Terrans got overrun by religious Fanatic Purifiers and I just came charging in from the rim to liberate Earth.

So satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Artificer posted:

I've finished a few. Eventually a random anomaly will pop up to help you along.

I've completed the Cybrex one three times but never managed the First League or the flatworm guys. It gets a bit frustrating sometimes.

• Locked thread