Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I've only had the game for a couple weeks now, but having just abandoned a campaign due to the fallen empire federation wrecking me by sending 5 fleets at a time during war I think I'd much rather admirals and stuff be given a trampoline type attribute instead of adding another soft ceiling to fleet size. By that I mean Admirals should have a free body guard unit, or even just a small "maintenance free" capacity of around 5 units that can be upgraded through research. While they're at it give governors an auto-building milita capacity that gets spread throughout the planets they're governing. Maybe some buffs to military stations in their territory too.

Edit: hell give governors a roaming fighter fleet based off of the number of military stations in their territory might be a better idea. The big problem with the fleet size is that the game doesn't have any garrisoning requirements for invasions, any real sort of attrition mechanics, nor does it have supply lines. Fleets should have to dedicate maybe 10% of their force to staying behind and garrisoning the planets they capture, not just be able to have everyone up and leave, AND gain a free garrison for the planet they conquered.

Split Pea Superman fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

Any possibility of the science nexus getting a buff? Maybe make it a percentage increase on research acquisition, like dark matter does for physics research, for each stage you complete. First stage society, second stage engineering, third stage physics. Add a +1% modifier for each tier. That would be a meaningful buff compared to the piddly, non-scaling amount of research it grants now. A single slot on a halo world covered in upgraded science labs with an assisting researcher scientist does almost as good a job as the science nexus, or 3-4 habitats with research facilities.

Like for the most amazing research station in all the known universe, +225 research for each flavor after fully upgrading seems kinda poopy

Science nexus doesn't incur the added planet nor pop penalty to your research though. The fully upgraded ringworld is gonna increase the science required by some amount whereas the science nexus gives you the boost for free.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

I've been using the fortress as a shield against my (much stronger) neighbors in my current game. My closest (and worst-defended) planet is one jump away from the Fortress, and enemy units that try to path through there end up fighting the fortress.The way the galaxy hyperlane network is set up, anyone who wants to attack me from the galactic east MUST come through that region. There are ways around it, multiple really, but the fortress is on the shortest path and thus the AI hits it every time.

This has allowed me to declare war three times against much stronger alliances and win, because their combined fleet comes in, suicides against the fortress, then I can go take a few planets, smash their fleets one by one as they come in to retake those planets before rampaging across the area.

They actually took down all the little floaty pieces last time before they died, so that tactic won't work much longer. Sadly.

My experience with building fortresses in non-planet systems is that you have to build one in every every system that could possible be moved through to get this to happen. Did you just get lucky that the AI is pathing through the system, or am I missing something? I've had the same thing happen, but I doubt it payed off the 10-20 or so fortresses I had to build before they'd start pathing through fortress systems. I forget the galaxy style I picked, but it's the one with even distribution instead of arms, so that probably effects things.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nevets posted:

He's talking about the Enigmatic Fortress, not player-built ones.

I've yet to encounter one. Should I look it up, or is it a big story thing?

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

If you've got a migration treaty with a species that has a different climate preference, is there a good way to colonize a planet that you can't inhabit and get them to migrate there?

The other poster's want you to use droids, but if you do want to use the other race make sure you check the allow colonization box in the species menu. IDK if there are techs or anything else you might have to research. Private colony ships(the unity tech under commerce) built through the construction queue have a random race from what I understand, but if you use the expansion planner or the colonization button on the planet you can select the race for the private colony ships. Expansion planner might give you different options for your case too.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nevets posted:

I think the issue is none of the aliens have migrated to his empire (presumably because the two races have mutually exclusive habitability's) and he would like to be able to colonize a normally uninhabitable planet type & then have them immigrate from outside the empire to that planet. I don't think you can get colony ships for a race completely foreign to your empire.

I've yet to use it, but the private colony ship will generate a random race if you build it through the shipyard from my understanding. IDK if he has the right pop from his treaty yet, but you can get colony ships with a random race with the transtellar corporation tech from the prosperity unity tree. Could always try and colonize a mid-point planet if he hasn't gotten anything from the migration treaty yet though.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

I just ended up resettling the pops. Is there a way to peacefully integrate other empires (assuming they're not so overwhelmingly tiny you can vassalize them)? Someone dropped a colony right in the middle of a cluster of nice planets

Maybe you could buy it from them? IDK if the AI will actually trade a planet, but that's the only other option I can think of. Plopping down some more colonies in the area will push his borders back some, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you don't have anywhere else to expand. The border friction might force them to war dec you though if you're worried about declaring on them.

Edit: maybe the more aggressive orbital bombardments raze the colony if they kill all the pops? Never tried this.

Split Pea Superman fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 2, 2017

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Both the dialouge, and flavor description for the unyeilding trait(10% hull point) suggest that that admiral can't retreat, yet I was just able to retreat one that gained the trait mid-battle. Are the descriptions out-dated, or misleading me?

I really don't want an un-retreatable admiral in charge of anything, but the HP bonus is quite nice.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I can't remember if the base game actually makes unyielding admirals unable to retreat, but I've definitely had that as a thing.

I would suggest perhaps that if they gained it mid battle it may not apply until the next.

I've definitely recruited admirals based off the 10% hull boost, and never noticed that the flavor text has the retreating part. I've only just made the association now, but I haven't noticed them not being able to retreat yet. It could be that I wasn't paying attention, but I just abandoned a game that involved a lot of retreating before-hand, and I know I had recruited an admiral with this trait. Maybe it's an increase in the timer? I feel like I would have noticed something was up last game.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Psycho Landlord posted:

Unyielding definitely used to have a no retreats malus, but I noticed around the time SD dropped that it seemed to have disappeared. I have no idea if there's some other effect replacing it. If there is, it's hidden.

Well I'm on a relatively new game now, so I guess it won't hurt too much to test.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Definitely able to retreat.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

Unyielding was unable to retreat in like the base game only. It was changed very quickly, either with or before Utopia (maybe even Leviathans). The tool tip, however, was not changed.

Some of the devs post here right? I want my finder fee :bahgawd:

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

I'm getting a weird bug where core system counts aren't being updated properly?

Are there two planets in a system? Multiple planet systems count as one core. It makes them nice for getting a few more tiles (and an extra shipyard if you refuse to hotkey like I do) but normally the second world isn't worth colonizing right away.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shadowlyger posted:

:psyduck: I was wondering why building and populating a ring world didn't add four to my core worlds.

It confused me at first too, but it's definitely there, and it encourages picking up ring worlds and the occasional 2-3 planet system, but I probably wouldn't colonize say a 12 tile planet unless it had some really good resources on it.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know how fallen empires decide whether or not to war dec you for encroaching on their territory? I just found an abandoned ring world near one, and it seems like there's always a bait planet next to their territory, but this ring world seems like it might be far enough away for me to get away with it.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

If it's a xenophobe FE then almost any border pressure will cause them to wardec, a spiritualist FE will wardec over specific worlds with the Holy World modifier.

This empire is materialist, but they're also living on ring worlds. Do ring world's count as a materialist holy world?

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

There should be some fancy glowing space-storm wall around the core, not the glarey fog.

Watching whole systems get sucked into the black hole at the core of galaxy over the course of the game would be a nice touch. Could even apply the effect to the system black holes.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
How does repair speed of "The Grand Fleet" edict affect hull regen once you have regenerative plating or whatever the name for it is? It only applies if you're orbiting a space port, or does it help mid-battle regen?

e: does the 5% to shield hp tech help with shield regen rates?

Split Pea Superman fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 3, 2017

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

That's not how it works!! Black holes don't suck things in unless something just happens to intersect its orbit in the right way so that it falls in.

Well the intersections seem to happen often enough, else I don't think there would be many black holes. IDK if they would occur very often within the game's time scale though. I'm not an astro-physicist.

Something like this is what I had in mind though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM6TWFSj57M

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shadowlyger posted:

Black holes occur when a sufficiently massive star implodes, it has nothing to do with stellar collisions.

Here's a transcript of a NASA Q&A:https://www.nasa.gov/connect/chat/black_hole_chat.html

NASA dude Gerald Jerry Fishman posted:

Most scientists think that black holes are formed when the centers of very massive stars collapse and can no longer support the overlaying material. These are called solar-mass black holes -- black holes with at least 10x the mass of the sun. Much more massive black holes are called supermassive black holes. These are thought to start by "swallowing" other stars at the center of a galaxy. They start as a small black hole and gradually grow to an enormous size, sometimes as large as a hundred million to a billion times the mass of our sun. Some scientists believe that there are a class of "primordial" or small black holes that formed at the same time the universe formed. These haven't been directly observed, so their reality can't be confirmed. Some of the very small primordial black holes are thought to slowly evaporate over long periods of time, whereas more massive black holes can live for many billions of years.

Yes, if there's nearby material they'll gather this material and they'll grow in mass -- but only slightly in size.

Scarker: Is it possible for an object to orbit a black hole within its event horizon without being sucked into the center?

Jerry: Yes, but its orbit will likely become smaller and eventually it will be sucked into the black hole.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Gravity manipulation ascendancy tree:
t1: Solar scale propulsion: able to move asteroids around, can crash them into planets killing some of the pops
t2: Able to move moons around, can crash them into planets killing all pops. Leaves a smaller tomb world with a high mineral bonus debris field
t3: Able to eject black holes from the galactic core. Annihilates systems in a line drawn from the galactic center. Systems not directly in the path get shifted inwards, have a chance of losing smaller bodies, and get a habitability/happiness debuff from the chaos.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

I keep getting events for precursor anomolies but they never actually show up, are they bugged?

You have to go into the situation log and hit the track button. The systems they're in will then get the yellow hexagon thing marking them. There's a good chance they're in someone else's territory, or are about to be.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

It just shows me the locations of the anomalies I've already researched, not the new ones they've given me

The finished ones will still show up on the map unless you un-track them. Are you just getting confused by the already completed ones and not finding the new ones? I've yet to have any problems with the precursor chain not spawning locations, although I think the last step can get surveyed by another empire if you're not quick about it.

Open border agreements, and war/ the open border time shortly after a truce have been my friends in getting access to the precursor, and other quest sites. IIRC the reward is like 2,000-5,000 research in all categories and like 50-100 influence. Might be min's and credit's too.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

Rad.

Question, can you theoretically lock down an enemy doomstack by sending infinite corvettes at the system they're in one by one, thereby resetting their FTL countdown? Or is there something to prevent that sort of exploitation?

Splitting off all the corvettes or what have you to buy time for a fleet to charge up FTL has been really useful. Swamping a system with corvettes might pin down a fleet, but it seems like it'd be a lot of clicking as you can't just set a rally on their fleet.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Beyond colonizing a system and passing it on to a vassal, is there anyway to allow them to colonize crappy planets in my borders?

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

No, like, okay, picture this. I queue up 1000 corvettes on a system lined up so that they warp in on top of the enemy doomstack who is trying to warp out, which causes the AI to freak out and attack it (whether it's player controlled or computer controlled), which for only a moment bumps them out of FTL jump prep, resetting the countdown. This can theoretically work forever, right? From my earlier grousing about fleet AI, it seems like even players would not be able to stop their huge fleet from wasting an indefinite amount of time gibbing lovely little 1-ship corvette fleets queued up and rallied to that system forever.

It's also really easy to set up in advance since you can see where an enemy fleet is headed if you can see them at all.

Getting them to path through the right systems so that they warp in on top of the fleet seems like it'd be the annoying part, but yeah against the AI it'd probably work forever. A human player could probably move their fleet in between ships, or retreat if they stay in combat long enough.

e: could also build a fortress in the system with a jump inhibitor if it's something you ever need to counter.

Split Pea Superman fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 4, 2017

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure even a player could get their fleet out. There's that bit after combat where the ships have to realign to whatever before they follow orders usually.

Good to hear it works. Doubt I'll use it, but this federation doomstack is simply stupid, there's nearly a thousand battleships in there, let alone other ships. Even my largest fleet at 1.8 million firepower can't put more than a dent in it before getting overwhelmed. The only reason I'm winning is because I'm running six "small" fleets of 300k each all over their empires with groups of 20-30 xenomorphs attached to each, taking systems quickly and moving on. One empire built a shitload of habitats so that's a quick and easy way to rack up points. It's the first interesting combat I've seen, like when the doomstack shows up my minifleets shed a dozen battleships to delay them enough to escape. Shame there's no "spool up FTL" option in preparation on the way to a jump location.

Edit: AHAHAHAHAHAHA the federation-controlled parts of the feddie doomstack were all currently in control of a one-planet shitlord who's been a thorn in my side literally since day one, they're all that remain of the first empire I encountered. The federation just surrendered to my demands and in doing so, that one-planet empire no longer exists, resulting in the entire federation-based fleet simultaneously exploding. 800,000 firepower up in smoke, just like that!

Managing 6 fleets and their armies seems like a nightmare. How far are you along in the game? Fallen empires are just waking up in my current hard difficulty game, but I've got around 200k firepower spread out in 3 fleets with about 50 battleships and 100 cruisers.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Are pops locked into the same faction once they're grown, or do they just change to reflect the percentages? Would constantly resettling loyal pop's from the main capitol to border worlds, or at least making every colony ship out of the capitol noticeably affect the governing faction support?

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I just lost 75% percent of my fleet grinding down a Fallen Empire, and now the League of non-aligned Powers decced me.

The veterans of Eurav Wass haven't even had a chance to patch everything up, and now they have to deal with these cowards :bahgawd:

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

You mean you don't hire a computer specialist and camp them out in physics until you get autoexplore and then automate all your science shops immediately and only return to them when they die, need an upgrade, or contain a specialist you need?

How wrecked are your wrists?

Does the specialty of who you put in a research slot affect the generated choices?

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Maniacals tend to roll certain rare techs much more often, which is what balances the trait out vs Genius.

This is good to know. They have to research the whole tech, or can I just bring them in at the last second to finish the tech?

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Meeting victory conditions doesn't do anything stupid like insta-end the game right? It want to see an end game threat, but I'm 7 planets away from domination and I've still got some ring worlds to colonize.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yeah it takes just a few seconds to queue survey system on a pile of systems and forget about them until my science ship shows as idle. I rarely get auto explore until very deep in the tech tree, usually as a cheap option to refresh my picks.

I do try and pick it up for the plus + anomaly find chance edict simply because finding more anomalies=more chances to find stuff like +3 minerals in a system or if you know the outcomes you can safely pick stuff like instant 1,000 min instead of the +3 site miles away from anywhere you're borders will ever be. The game i'm on now I actually avoided surveying stuff in my home system until I was able to pick up the discovery bonus to find anomaly.

I'm not entirely sure if the system even works that way though, or how much it actually helps.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really think the research/unity malus actually does much about that though because if you conquer an enemy world you have to, basically, keep it, unless you want to be forever at war with everybody for genocide.

And there's still very little reason to not do so anyway because it's unlikely that any given world is going to be a net negative before you've conquered half the galaxy.

All it really does is just make expansion kind of unintuitive and give small empires a relative bonus in tech/traditions thus making tech at least overall kind of irrelevant cos even lovely empires can keep up really easily.

TBH I feel like the biggest part of tech bonus actually comes from the 5% bonus to energy/min production as those gains are marginal, and don't require the minerals like upgrading the structure does, nor the increased maintenance cost from upgrading through the tiers. Even the ship tiers increase cost and maintenance.

I'd also say that the stuff like needing bigger borders, or a higher naval cap is incredibly rare compared to just plain needing more minerals and energy, and stuff like consumer goods, maintenance and building the planet infrastructure cut into growth really hard in a way that increasing the value of the ships and infrastructure you have through research doesn't, and therefore makes it more optimal for growth.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

/Ragequitting this game again the same day I got sucked back in by the Humanoids species pack.

It seems like no matter what I do, all my neighbors always have fleets 10x the size of mine and technology way more advanced. What the hell? Is there some thing I'm not doing to optimize my research? If I build fleets to keep up with the size of my neighbors, the upkeep crushes my economy, and if I don't build fleets and focus on research, I'm still behind my neighbors. This is some bullshit.

Post diplomacy screens, and maybe fleet screens for comparison. Unity picks would be nice to know also.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shugojin posted:

Achieve pretty borders through fleet spending instead

Give vassals poor quality worlds.
Colonize poor quality worlds within your borders and give them to vassals.
Make your space look like a Pollack painting.

With the vassal research bonus, and the AI's tendency to prioritize chasing vassal fleets over your fleets you'll end up much further ahead.

Submit yourself to altar of optimal compounded growth :kheldragar:

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Would having a little chess board, or hex board if that's your thing, pop up during invasions be interesting? On one hand so much of combat is abstracted that I'm not sure something like this would fit, but on the other hand I think I'd much rather prefer the game streamlines economy and adds more tactical depth.

What I'd really like to see more than anything is a construction manager, i.e. you queue up everything you want to do and resources get distributed to projects as they come in. Something similar to how the sector AI allocates it's resources.

I can't count the times that I've decided that I'm gonna save up for a capital upgrade only to look at my minerals 4-5 turns later and be like "huh, why am I floating so many minerals" and then spend everything, and then realize "oooooh yeah I was saving up for a capital, welp I just queued up 8-9 upgrades that I'm much to lazy to try and go back and cancel them all"

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DatonKallandor posted:

Having played the (only?) 4x game I can think of that does this - it sucks. It really sucks. So much so that that game actually removed the player controlled tactical ground combat as an expansion feature.
I think the most tactical depth you can have in a 4x with ground combat is MoO3's implementation. You pick a stance/tactic for your army, the opponent picks a stance/tactic for his army and then things happen based on your army composition, the enemy army composition and your respective tactics and the interactions of those 4 things. Making the player have more control is just too much stuff to do when there's still the rest of the game going on. Any less and you might as well abstract the ground combat away almost entirely.

MoO3 is the same game that removed tactical ground control?

My hope would be reducing the 100 something clicks it takes to fully upgrade a 20 tile planet to a more manageable 10-15 clicks, and then adding in tactical invasions that would involve no more than 10 clicks. You could still keep the building tiers, just add in an auto-upgrade all/minerals/energy etc. box with the ability to re-order the construction queue.

Split Pea Superman fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 16, 2017

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I could see trying to drop an army on a specific tile having various effects. Maybe your lovely armies of baby starfish weaklings need to blanket the planet and support neighboring tiled armies to win. Maybe landing an avatar in the capitol causes them to capitulate much faster, maybe dropping clone commandos on the capital and putting 4 regular armies around it is enough.

Militia could form from the actual pop. You could set your own armies up in the way you think would be most defensive. Maybe even have secret forces that don't show up to invaders unless they get landed on. You could even have situations like the planetary shield generator prevents bombardment, so attackers may want to drop guys in and have them pillage that tile first. Invasions could be like a simple minigame that's fun to play. Or you could just have a general run the thing for you and you dump off guys like now.

Armies and generals could be made more valuable if they dumped defensive armies and just had regular ones. You might want to pick up a defensive general for once. They should probably have a mechanism like fleets for armies too.

All of this would be great. Invasions occurring in phases would allow for even more variety. Do you drop your big units first for a shock effect, but risk having defensive batteries shoot them down, or do you send in waves of chaff until they're able to secure the AA batteries. Maybe sending in those xeno-morphs in later stages is a really bad idea if you're planning on keeping the population, and not have them angry at you for the next 100 years.

Dropping the bombard stage in favor of drawn out battles would also allow for generals to shine more. Maybe the number of tiles your fleets can focus fire is determined by the general's skill. If the game implements a doctrine system like HOI you might be tempted to favor certain unit types. A general that focuses on propaganda might have bonuses to morale damage, and reduce the strength of resistance movements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
After commanding the extended bombardment/ aggressive invasion on planet X admiral/general has declared themselves pacifist/rebels. Lose ships and armies, anti-war or rebel faction founded/ increased support.

Could have another event type for exterminators and xenophobe ethics.

• Locked thread