Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

As my trek towards birds dominance over the universe continues, I mull over the thought of a large, empty galaxy with like, one or two other species - or none! - How viable would that be?

there's a mod called Fermi Paradox that allows for that. you can have the galaxy be empty or just populated by primitives that you can Probe til your heart's content. I don't know if it has been kept up to date with the latest patch tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my alien race only consumes boiled space-rice and hive-owl tendies.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Blorg's List ad: Molluscoid seeking fellow sentient to remove, cook, and devour my spermatophoric gland. my ultimate erotic experience.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

AriadneThread posted:

i'm okay with slavery being a trap option that ultimately creates more problems then it solves, personally speaking

it could be another end game crisis situation. if you really on slavery to a certain extent, then eventually you have a mass uprising that threatens to bring down your empire.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this update is going to be so god drat huge, gently caress. hurry up.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
that reminds me that I once googled why pigs aren't milked. turns out the main reason is that it is just too much trouble to milk a pig. they won't hold still.

dreaming about a tall glass of creamy pigsmilk rn.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Wiz posted:

One of the things I absolutely want to get into the game at some point is more of a sense of a galactic community, with a Space UN you could join or not join and with advantages and drawbacks for joining and not joining.

that would be great. I think of the Uplift series of books by David Brin. the carbon-based galactic community in those books has a set of rules, mores that they follow and there are consequences if you don't play ball. there's still war, bad poo poo going down, but there are rules damnit.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
seconding that. he was posting here before he got the Paradox job and the nationalist psychos on the Pdox official boards make this gang of idiots seem like a well mannered church choir.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
surely some fashion choices must mark one as worthy of extermination though. sorry lizard man, your wardrobe is hideous and you have to go.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Strategic Tea posted:

Syncretic evolution! One step closer the the Culture.

Pan-human bodies are so hot right now

that's what came to mind for me too. wanna make myself genetically compatible with all the space aliens, fill the stars with our sexy hybrid spawn.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
bless ya'll. just thinking about how huge this exp. is gonna be and then thinking about what this game is gonna look like 2-3 years from now... it's gonna be the amazing all-encompassing sci-fi sim that my little child brain imagined back when I first played Master of Orion. keep up the good work.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
replace the combat with Star Control Super Melee.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

Some serious celiac erasure going on in this thread. My digestion system is TRIGGERED

that tweet made me poo poo out my bowels. calling my lawyer.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Kitchner posted:

Thanks you guys for not letting me down. You managed to turn a throw away comment that was less than 140 character into like two pages of arguing about who can and can't eat gluten.

this is why Twitter is Good and Cool.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
let me repost and repeat that I will pay money for distinct robo-portraits for each species group.

this expansion is going to be the first day of the rest of this game's life. can't wait.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

oddium posted:

[wokely] stellaris is a map game

lol if you haven't genocided entire species just to get your borders looking pretty.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

Daniel Moregård is posting preorder discount codes for Utopia: https://twitter.com/dmoregard

Thanks for the heads up. I got one for retweeting him. 6 bux off, not bad.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
here's a neat time lapse video of a Utopia game. the unbidden pop up towards the end and kill almost everyone, but a FE awakens and together with its allies purges the galaxy of invaders. a fun little potted space opera told through colors changing on a map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDntlTFcQag

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I play Stellaris so I can role-play the rise and fall of the Holy Empire of the Snailmen from Arcturus.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

TsarZiedonis posted:

Wow, this expansion looks substantial! Did they add a new way for happy, peaceful xenophiles to win? I always feel guilty when I play bad guys in video games.

my pacifist butterfly people made friends with the first aliens I met, a xenophile plant species. we've been spending all our time beating up the hateful bird people north of us, freeing the aliens that they conquered and enslaved. not exactly peaceful, but it's for a good cause.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
first league quest still seems to be bugged. lol.

got to the final stage of it for the first time ever and it craps out on the last step. game wants me to go to their homeworld but there's nothing there to research.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Wolfechu posted:

Had the same thing with the Yuth last night, but there was a friendly empire's science ship dicking around in the system, so I figured they beat me to it.

if I'm remembering correctly, only actual human players are able to do the quests in this patch, and I'm playing single player. is this correct?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Milky Moor posted:

It's weird because prior to Utopia I had no issue with finishing the chains if I got out there and surveyed. Since then, it's back to the days of permanent 4/6.

haha, I've finished the First League chain twice on Utopia only to have it crap out on the final step each time. never managed to get that far previously. fix this poo poo. god drat.

and by the way, I have never had the Horizon Signal stuff fire even once. bought that and never played it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

horizon signal was free though?

but yes, it's pretty silly that you'll basically never see it unless you deliberately go for it by queuing a science ship to rotate in and out of the same black hole system

oops, my bad. but anyway, you can't even do that trick anymore, they changed it so you can't simply revisit the same location.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
dunno if this is new or just something I haven't seen before, but I found an FE located in a ruined Sol system, with the FE Mushrooms living on Mars. wonder what went on down there back in the day.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

GotLag posted:

More dumb faction bullshit: if you're not materialist, you can't make synths full citizens. But if synths end up in your empire due to conquest/integration, then their lack of rights angers both egalitarian and xenophile factions.

Edit: also when is my government supposed to change ethos? The two most populous factions are now egalitarian and xenophile, but government is still fanatic egalitarian/pacifist

yeah, I ended up in the same situation. lots of people mad about enslaved synths but the only way I could ever free them was to turn all my people into synths, then they were freed automatically.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/856862182025330689

Looks like the dream of non-militarist Fanatic Purifiers is coming true.

skulls for the skull pit. hooray.

I think I am going to get Purified myself pretty soon. my aggressive neighbor is a fanatical purifier who has somehow gotten a hold of FE level tech and ships. rolling around with titans and endgame weapons. no clue where the hell he got it. Overwhelming x 3 in the power rankings.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

snoremac posted:

Haven't played for a while... Is Utopia essential DLC in the EU4 Art of War sense?

I haven't played enough EU to know, but Utopia is a massive improvement to the game.

anyone tried this out yet?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=912889330

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I'm having the pacifism thing happen too. I don't think I've witnessed a single war during the century I've played.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, that mod's headline features include "buffed Fallen Empires and crisises", "buffed FE and crisis fleets", and "buffed FE ships", so I imagine that's probably intended behavior?

Yeah, I had a Purifier race get ahold of the tech that mod adds and they just murdered everybody. I had to delete the mod.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
body pillows are lovely and all that but the main reason I'm not playing this right now is that war fighting is tedious and fighting wars is the thing you're probably going to be spending most of your time doing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Culture from Iain Banks's books are basically that kind of thing.

the Culture is big on the whole personal freedom thing though.

the trope is old and there are tons of examples.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheComputerIsYourFriend

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
RIP my first robot game. Contingency planet popped up in my space with 2 80000 fleets which I could not match and no one did anything to help. nothing to be done. sucks.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
any "War" update needs to make the large scale conflicts you run into late game less fiddly and micro managed. I just had the war in heaven pop off and the state of the galaxy, with all these different factions of all types locked into this apocalyptic war, makes for a really dramatic set up for a grand Space Opera story. but I'm never going to go back and see how it turns out because I just will not subject myself to the kind of busywork I'd need to fight that war. so many gd planets to occupy.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

rex monday posted:

Xenomorph armies should be one-use. Once you infest the planet, they're a permanent problem for anyone who occupies it until you do a research project to exterminate them.

You could possibly represent them with a unremovable tile blocker that triggered pop-killing events.

yeah, you could have it be a project which you have to complete within a time limit or else have it turn into a Prethoryn style hell world which you have to purify.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

socialsecurity posted:

So I just got this an enjoying it somewhat, I only have the basegame and I see a new expansion is coming out soon, do they typically have some sort of sale/bundle with the old DLC when new stuff comes out?

whenever the Apocalypse expansion releases you can reasonably expect to see some discounts on the older stuff. it's how Paradox does their thing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What does "Paradox version" mean?

I assumed it was a non-steam version of the game. like download it direct from Paradox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Also what really bothers me about that planet is that it actually spins tumbling end-over-end:

The ring system remains stationary though. Why? Because.

an ancient precursor race did it.

• Locked thread