Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

oddium posted:

also maybe have a defense triangle too with the same principle

i remember galciv 2 did this and it triggered the absolute hell out of me/made me think i needed to fill all parts of the triangle, despite the fact that was impossible

i'm not saying don't do it (it's actually really important information to know what your designs are vulnerable to) but holy crap did that particular method of showing the data give me a bad time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Stellaris: The substructure of the thread regresses infinitely towards smaller and smaller arguments. Behind genocide we find political ideology, and behind ideology, thread titles. Each layer unraveled reveals new secrets, but also new mysteries

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

one of the drawbacks of sentient battle computers is that the ship itself has morale

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Poil posted:

Neat, I didn't know that. I've usually gone for hooking up the ship to the crew's brains telepathically. That way they can't attempt to unplug if when things go horribly wrong. :)

sorry, i should have been more clear. that was a joke.

the only actual problem with sentient combat computers is that you need to research the techs that enable the rogue AI crisis to get there - which, even if the crisis never happens, will piss off a materialist FE.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Wiz posted:

Against a player that's designed for versatility, sure. It's still really important when say, fighting an Awakened Empire. It can mean the difference between needing 300k or 500k to beat them.

seriously loving this. i can only think that people saying the ship designer isn't helpful have never fought an AE or played on hard/insane AIs. you will almost always be punching above your weight class and proper analysis and counter-design of your opponents is absolutely crucial for operating on those levels.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Heartcatch posted:

The ability to weaponise said volcanoes as planetary defence batteries when adjacent to a planetary shield generator would also be much appreciated.

..and provide a reason to build shield generators!

i remember a materialist fallen empire gave me the planetary shield tech because i let them have a 110 year old scientist of mine who was 5 stars and rapidly approaching death anyway and i was like "all i really wanted was for you to leave me alone and i'm still disappointed"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

dumb and kinda scared posted:

I was wondering about it too. Maybe that's the looks Pdox artist who drew them gets 24/7 so he thinks its a natural facial expression of a human female?

this went from funny observation to weird goony conspiracy theory really fast

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

refits happen pretty fast nowadays so scouting someone out just as a war starts and making a dongkiller 5000 class a week into the war means that within a month or two your fleet will be taken care of

this is a problem if you have only one worthwhile starport of course but you could, in fact, have many

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the 'barbarians' of the game like amoeba, pirates, and crystals are not worth counter-designing for and the solution there is to just bury them under fleet strength

i mean you can do it but the benefits aren't substantial enough to warrant the work

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah at least in my mind it all depends on who your opponent is

i prefer to match my opponent roughly in fleet strength and make up the difference in counter-design, so i'll size up who i'm fighting and go from there. FEs/AEs are the obvious exception here because good mother loving luck ever matching them in raw fleet cap

in the case of me fighting a federation i'll generally design for the strongest member of the federation

e: oh you're referring to time lines

most of my brawling is done in the mid game with no more than 40-50k or so, and i remember that being about a 2 month process last time i did it though if that's not jiving with what you're seeing in game i could be wrong and understating things. obviously if you need to upgrade hundreds of thousands of FS it's gonna take longer, but the point's mostly academic because it takes the AI a long rear end time to properly invade a planet so you can just ignore whatever their first attack is in favor of refitting your fleet, which will then be able to smash the blockade and take the offensive from there.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 24, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's not a ton to say beyond the obvious; use frontier outposts to extend your wormhole reach, scout as much as you can but don't sweat not being able to map the galaxy, understand that your wormholes allow you to jump straight by someone's empire space if they're blocking you off. don't be afraid to build redundant wormhole stations because one station only requires 0.25 credits/mo to maintain.

the only other non-obvious thing is that since your FTL method is offloaded onto stations, your ships will have extra energy that WOULD have gone toward a warp/hyper drive that you can instead use for shooting things or powering shields.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

sectors allow you to get around the maximum number of personally administrated systems. if you have 10 systems but can only personally administrate 5, you will get progressively worse penalties to basically everything as you're administrating more and more systems. if you hand these systems off to a sector, you can keep all 10 systems in your empire.

there's a bunch of stuff surrounding sectors and if you want to learn more you're basically better off reading how they work in game or on the stellaris wiki

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

pretty sure xenophobes can keep xeno slaves but not 100% on that one

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

assuming a frictionless market with perfect information means capitalism ends in monopoly and rent almost immediately so that is not solving the market problem at all actually

like that exact presumption was one of marx's predictions as to why capitalism was bad, it would continually mature toward the crushing megacorp stage that would ensure oligarchy would rule supreme

the reality is that simulating a market in anything beyond broad strokes is actually incredibly hard, especially if you want to compare it to real economic data

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

start it in 1912

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Do synthetics count as aliens? Or genemods of your own species with different preferences (you can make those right?)

both are half-aliens. xenophobes get -5 happiness with them. it's basically the biggest problem with xenophobe right now imo. if i were more dedicated i would probably try to mod it out.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 26, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

The AI talk is fascinating. Its something I always wanted to play with but, I'm in life science so I wouldn't know where to start.

a non-trivial amount of synthetic decision making is modeled after natural decision making so your background is not irrelevant

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i can't think of any LPs that are going to efficiently and effectively explain game mechanics to you on a game as in-depth as stellaris. most paradox games are set up such that very few people even play them alike.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

man calvin and hobbes needs more references in pop culture so i'd be down as an extra chomosome for that one

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Did the movie ever get a name?

i believe we're referencing Rats Night of Terror here

it's a 1984 flick where Chuck Norris gets eaten by rats, it kinda owns in a uniquely horrible way

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

unbidden take a while to get going unless they're right next to you. finish what you're doing with that goddamn AE or you're going to lose your opportunity.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Alright, I guess this is now the time to ask.
In my game I am, excluding the still dormant(?) Fallen Empires, the largest military force in the galaxy. I am also part of the biggest federation.
Unfortunately said federation seems to all mutually agree that liberation wars is the best military policy, so I can't just rampage through the rest of the galaxy.
The consequence is; nothing is really happening. Occasionally there's a border dispute, and every decade or so I smack around the resident fanatical purifiers just to remind them who's boss. A few border lines are moved but nothing that helps my empire grow any larger than it already is.

Sooooo, now what? Is this the "This game has a dearth of mid/endgame content" problem I've heard so much about?

It's so weird that a game where all the win conditions are military that there are so many variations of pacifism.

if you're the dominant military force in the galaxy you have no business being in a federation. a federation is what smaller powers use to keep bigger powers from picking on them. if you're the big guy, start throwing your weight around. leave your federation and declare war on your former allies (presuming you can take all of them, you probably can if your federation is biggest in terms of number of members - that likely means that you have a number of small powers bumping around, rather than a coalition of 3 respectably large equals), and forcibly vassalize them as your war goal. give each one of them a 10 mineral/mo gift after the war to smooth over bad feelings and you will have numerous loyal vassals that you can start integrating into your larger empire, which you can then break off into a megasector and never worry about again.

this will probably swell your overall navy to the point where FEs are gonna start taking notice that you actually have your poo poo together and things will heat up again.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 31, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

also good. the point is that if you're the military king, always be fighting. you will want/need to confront your former allies at some point though. be aware that being surrounded isn't really that big of a deal; just make sure you have multiple invasion armies on standby and some sort of FTL snare station in the places most likely to get scouted out. let someone attack you, blow them up, send 2x what they sent out to blow THEM up. if you run roughshod over their territory and blow up all their starports etc, find their capitol and bombard/invade it. that will effectively knock that power out of the war. head back home, regroup and rearm, do it all again.

i would be wary of simply taking planets from another empire, fwiw. straight conquest like that complicates relationships with all other powers in range since they're worried about being next. vassalizing the powers is much safer as you can wait out the cooldown period and then integrate them wholesale. this will utterly eliminate the problem and you can then treat the newly acquired pops however it pleases you. i tend to play individualistic powers so i frequently just hand the entire vassal area off to sector AI and take their taxes. if you are playing more communal or xenophobe you can then start purging the populations you've acquired and there's no host empire to get pissy, so you really only have to worry about xenophile FEs getting mad.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 31, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

do not use missiles at all at current, point defense is extremely effective against missiles and the AI likes point defense a lot.

hybrid designs that mix both kinetics and energy weapons are effectively the 'gently caress it' route of ship design. it works fine, especially if you are the bigger man in the fight, but proper counter-design of your opponents is what will give you the extra oomph you need to handily defeat someone who is your size or bigger.

plasma casters are the general 'use this if you're not sure' weapon right now. they do so much damage that specifics matter a bit less.

fleet strength is about half-bunk. it's a good indication of how hard a fleet can shred, but it's only loosely based on tech level and ship hp/size. i've had a 70k FS fleet absolutely butcher a 90k one.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 31, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i think you might need a break

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

my response is less driven by the content and more driven by the reckless use of superlatives that leave no room for discussion

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Bramble posted:

Is there a trick to getting a civilization you've just liberated to be your vassal? Even when their strength is pathetic and their opinion of you is in the high 100s, they just won't entertain the idea.

peaceful vassalization basically does not happen. let the truce expire and then kick their sandcastle over.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Bramble posted:

That's what I was afraid of. I'm playing the UN, and I was thinking liberating then vassalizing then integrating would be the most "peaceful" way to eat up small, weak empires - especially given the problems with the federation system right now. Outright conquering then releasing as a vassal just doesn't feel right.

you can set 'establish vassal' as a war goal, which is effectively the same thing the irl un does when they pop in on peacekeeping missions. you will leave the government of the conquered territory intact but politically screw them over so bad they have to ask you daddy please for everything.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Archonex posted:

If they have a faction agitating for independence you can grant it through the faction window.

Releasing them doesn't seem to be that beneficial a lot of the time though. If there's a faction agitating for independence it probably means they don't get along well enough with your empire yet to not be disloyal.

Though maybe other people have had different experiences?

vassals build up a trust meter as they continue to be ruled by you, which over time will stabilize the relationship. the way you smooth over the disloyal period is to gift them 5-10 minerals per month for 10 years, which basically gives them a 'favorable trade deal' relationship bonus and keeps them quiet.

even as a xenophobic overlord i've pacified many vassals this way.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

so i'm considering making a run at "suffer not the alien" and i have a couple of questions from fuckery i know happened with that stuff a while back:

1) how do robotic pops interact with this? i distinctly remember synths being a huge problem for xenophobic empires, even if they were also materialist, because the constructed synths would have "alien overlords" even when given full citizenship rights. materialist pops have no problem with them though. do synths count as another race for the purposes of this achievement?
2) how do gene-mods of your host species interact with this? i would fully plan on making sub-races of my host race for each individual atmosphere type because gently caress terraforming. do they interfere with the achievement or cause huge happiness maluses?

e: wiz if you know i'd happily take an answer from you, these are specific enough that googling around is generally not helping me with current information. the only people who asked did so back near release.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 3, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Coolguye posted:

so i'm considering making a run at "suffer not the alien" and i have a couple of questions from fuckery i know happened with that stuff a while back:

1) how do robotic pops interact with this? i distinctly remember synths being a huge problem for xenophobic empires, even if they were also materialist, because the constructed synths would have "alien overlords" even when given full citizenship rights. materialist pops have no problem with them though. do synths count as another race for the purposes of this achievement?
2) how do gene-mods of your host species interact with this? i would fully plan on making sub-races of my host race for each individual atmosphere type because gently caress terraforming. do they interfere with the achievement or cause huge happiness maluses?

e: wiz if you know i'd happily take an answer from you, these are specific enough that googling around is generally not helping me with current information. the only people who asked did so back near release.

ugh mother gently caress modifying your own race to have a different planetary preference does indeed give them a happiness malus for alien overlords, -7% at fanatic xenophobe level

i guess a monument to purity is going to be a requirement on all non-continental planets, that is loving insanely lame

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GodFish posted:

Terraform it all, make the world adapt to your needs, don't adapt to it's!

yeah the further i go forward the more i realize this is really the only way forward

you basically have to make cross-atmospheric changes by founding a new planet and completely loving over the first colonist pop or two, turning them into an arctic preference or whatever have you. you can then force-resettle them onto an arctic planet where they will be happy, but once you have genetic tailoring unlocked there's a very high chance that they'll spontaneously handle adaptations themselves, which puts the planet in this weird state where even after you shove them off to some place that suits them, the 100% all natural founder species replacements STILL have -15% xenophobia maluses. the entire thing behaves extremely weirdly. i really wanted to avoid terraforming since it's such a bullshit feature right now. the energy credits are bad enough, but the time involved to terraform planets is just obscene. 5 years just to go between temperatures, with 10 years for ONE planet to change hydrosphere? and 20 years to move a tomb world? get the gently caress out of here, i can stomp across a quarter of the galaxy in that time. i could burn an entire xeno empire to dust and put a modified human civilization where that poo poo used to be in 10 years. it's just a matter of building colony ships from the right host planet.

so yeah, this game was fun and it was great to go kick over a bunch of xeno empires and leave them as vassals and stuff but my plan here is just straight out not going to work. i'll also have to avoid synths, which is also lame because synths are cool and i was playing materialist along with xenophobe, but that's not a huge problem. droids function well enough for leading the way.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 3, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

every time i play a warmongering game i at some point end up thinking "man it would really piss me off to play against me"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

in this case i found an early space age primitive nearby, so i invaded them - it was a good planet, and i found them a full 2 years before New Worlds Protocol was even done. the last month before i finished the conquest, my initial neighbor rang up and said hi, so he immediately got the opinion malus for invading primitives. then i went ahead and murdered all the natives because it was a nice world so he then got ANOTHER malus for me being genocidal.

i noticed i had a tech edge over him so i basically decided "no witnesses" and declared an extremely early war against him (it was like 15-20 years into the game), blew up his fleet, blew up all the orbitals i could find, and now i have my ships hanging out off his home planet. i can't blow up his starport because it's too early in the game (i'm teching to point defense and destroyers so i can get it done), but he can't break the stellar blockade and he can't move his civilian ships out of port to go do work. another half-dozen empires have shown up in the interrim and not a single loving one of them care about this podunk spiritual empire i'm slowly strangling to death, and not a single one of them know about me murdering a species on the brink of joining the galactic community to get an early planet.

if an AI behaved even a little bit like me we'd have people calling for wiz to hang from a tree.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

afterburners are good on corvettes and literally nothing else

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Really? Attack speed isn't all that?
Well I built my ships wrong then.

it is not

to be clear i was talking about afterburners on corvette swarms and i forgot to finish my thought earlier. corvette swarms make sense as a guerrilla force in a lot of wars because the AI gets cagey when its starports start getting blasted in the backfield, so being able to close with and destroy stuff quickly is helpful in that regard. larger starports have extreme range so afterburners can get you into range and firing as much as 10-14 days sooner on a level 5 spaceport.

for a general deathball you always always always want something that will increase survivability more, and the list of that looks like this:

1) shield capacitor
2) mayyyyyyyyybe regenerative hull (not really)

while we're on the subject of ships, i might as well ask for opinions on counter-designing this AI design. i always have a lot of trouble counter-designing against kinetics.

his main deathball consists of 53 of these and nothing else. i get cruisers in 2 years, and i've stomped on a couple of missile-using AIs to the point where i almost have level 2 missiles for free.

i'm thinking about refitting the fleet to use those level 2 missiles to subvert his high evasion, researching level 2 armor, and clapping that on the destroyers i have right now. then spit out a good 5-10 cruisers and go to work with whatever corvettes i happen to build in the meantime. i don't see a ton of benefit in including a lot of corvettes in the battle plan since he's so one-dimensional.

i do have the luxury of time because i snaked these designs by sending a science ship to his homeworld to scout him out. plan above workable y/n?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 4, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it will likely be level 2 armor. i have the card locked in from stomping the last few AIs and i don't really fancy my luck on getting level 3 in a timely manner afterward.

weapon wise, missiles are my best bet here right? im not tripping on that one? armored corvettes is a pretty strange design choice for an AI

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

A combination of both is what I'd go for. Probably primarily lasers on the cruisers since they'll be out front, and then if you have a group of destroyers with missiles sitting pretty behind them you'll likely clean up pretty handily.

great idea. i have about 15 destroyers that are currently configured with PD because the last war included approximately all the missiles, but i can have them refitted in a couple of days. i also have the red lasers card locked in from pirate debris so i can research that to clap on the cruisers. no angle on blue lasers right now but for a fight like this it shouldn't matter.

this is the last guy i need to subdue and vassalize before my galactic neighborhood is all under my heel; after that the local democratic crusader has shown up so I will need to go into hardcore building mode to catch up.

fwiw dudes having done this for 4 games now I very highly recommend a first contact war if you see your closest neighbor is using missiles. all you need to do is hold them bottled in their home system until you get PD destroyers and there is basically no way you can lose at that point. having an early vassal is really nice because when the rest of the neighborhood lights up they implicitly accept that this race has always been sucking your dick and they don't really question it at all. my current game i vassalized my first opponent in 2228 and it owned.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

does point defense work against physical torpedoes right now?

i know it's been ambiguously bugged for half of eternity, and my next target is using torpedoes on his corvettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Coolguye posted:

does point defense work against physical torpedoes right now?

i know it's been ambiguously bugged for half of eternity, and my next target is using torpedoes on his corvettes.

answer: YUP

those torp corvettes did not stand a loving chance

• Locked thread