Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Back Hack posted:

Man, I want to play Stellaris, but I don't want play it knowing there is a new update coming. Something about that kind of bothers me for some strange reason.

Forget what LPers will tell you, this is the real Paradox Curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/828623625154654209

Whoa.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/829340045043724289

Do not do this.

I think I'm going to be messing around with Spiritualists/Psionics for the first time in 1.5.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Hey, so I was idly browsing the Stellaris forum and I came across the apparent fact that most of the Purge options like Neuter and Eat are going to be restricted to Xenophobes? That's a bit of a bummer if true so I'd like to see some confirm/deny so I'm not just taking some rando at their word.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I hated Stone-Age primitives every time I encountered them, except one time when they were on a Society-rich planet and I was able to turn the whole place into one massive Society research lab, which was great.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I hope we can make hybrids and for the graphics they just take the two portraits and put on a bad 90's morph effect.

An entire galaxy just chock-full of beings who look like the mid-point of an Animorphs cover.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

The number 1 request finally makes it in:

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/832597715557179392

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

A parrot with a scouter or no deal.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

We are rapidly approaching Poe's Law but for Stellaris changes.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Finally tearing myself away from playing to make some comments, but on the whole I really like Utopia! Of course I've liked the game since 1.0 so take that as you will.

-PSC needs to get nerfed because wow is it a no-brainer right now. Maybe changing it to every full system surveyed? Still doesn't change the fact that it makes trading for star charts a bad idea like it used to be, though.
-I hope in the future we can get more tradition picks for each group to differentiate the paths more, because every empire ultimately having the same bonuses is boring to me. Like Domination, for example, could go the route of improving what you get from vassals or making it easier to integrate them. Prosperity has the hypercapitalist picks and the construction picks, and making those go deeper would be a great way to add flavor to your empire.

Excited to see what the next big update is going to bring to the game!

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

This doesn't sound like a good fix. With this you MUST grab it early or it's not worth getting ever. Although I grant you that's still better than it being a MUST PICK in every game.

The whole idea behind PCS is stupid and it should be thrown out wholesale. Replace it with a boost to research stations and/or observation stations and/or frontier outposts. Sensible and thematic.

I think I've got to agree with this, or at least the throwing out the current mechanic part. Maybe a strong bonus to survey speed and science ship sublight speed? That keeps in line with the other part of the tradition line.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I came in all ready to post my ideas for what Wormhole could look like in a Hyperlane-based system, but Soup du Journey has almost the exact concept I do. My idea was to have them as early-mid game and prevent spam based on high energy upkeep that's brought down by tech, but retaining their radius could work just as well.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Any goon-approved post-Utopia mods? The Workshop seems pretty scattershot and I don't want to waste time figuring out what's good and what's poo poo. I'm not looking for anything too intensive, just a boost to megastructures more than anything.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Mondian posted:

So not being able to build frontier hospitals on gaia worlds, is that a bug/holdover from when they increased habitability or some intentional choice I don't understand?

It's got to be an overlooked holdover. I get that there were more pressing things to get to, but if there's a 1.6.2 I'd like that to get fixed, it's mildly annoying.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

So how broken is 1.6.1? I'm kind of feeling like another game but I'm also wondering if I want to deal with it.

There are annoying things that warrant fixing, like the aforementioned syth slavery issue, but nothing that should put you off from playing unless you spend so much time kvetching over the game that every little bug becomes a sign that Paradox should have killed themselves rather than let the game come to fruition like this.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

This is how I feel about Alphamod. On the one hand, I like that there are a lot of new building options and more complex decision making than "do I want minerals, energy, food, or research here" but at the same time man that is a fuckload of new strategic resources to worry about.

Yeah, I had meant to do a mini-review of it at some point, but really its worst part is that they saw Paradox changing how Strategic Resources worked and said "nah, gently caress that" and it creates a very odd feeling for the game. Also the tech times are not super well balanced in comparison to the vanilla techs.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/882247509690785793

Oh hell yes.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I find it telling that the people who complain the most about Stellaris tend to be people who have a compulsion to min-max

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Yeah dude, thinking that being able to give robots 5% boosts to things is fun flavor and not Paradox loving FORCING US TO MICROMANAGE EVEN MORE AND MAKING THIS lovely GAME EVEN SHITTIER makes me the dumb motherfucker and not you. For sure

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

The first step to fixing war is implementing Wiz's FTL vision, anyway.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

I'd like to see a separate pool for 'homeworld traits'; move things like syncretic evolution over there, and have stuff like Master of Orion's 'mineral rich' or 'ancient artifacts' as bonuses to pick for your starting system.

This is a really good idea! It'd be a cool way to differentiate empires a bit more.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/910268878420357120

Actually, Wiz, Stellaris is garbage and can never be fixed

(but really I'm super excited to play 1.8 and to see what they have planned next)

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

everyone's asking when they can gently caress the bio-trophies. buddy, they wont even let me gently caress them

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Tangentally related, but what strength fleet should you have before going after a Fallen Empire? I'm building up to 2 ~35-40k fleets and I have Galactic Contender, will that be enough?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Crushing a Fallen Empire is just so satisfying. Yes, you will be pampered for eternity, and no you will not stop me as I colonize that 25-tile Gaia World you've been calling a "Holy World" that I've had my eye on for the last 150 years.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

All right, Subspace Echoes! Time to see where the Prethoryn are going to sh- oh, what's that? Directly into my empire? Well, good thing I took Defender of the Galaxy for my last Ascension. :shepicide:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

More teasers!

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/918476755861688320

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Quick question: if my next Ascension picks are either Transcendence or Habitats, which one do I go for first?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

The best boost comes from the satisfaction of knowing you're playing ethically.

Like my latest game, when I decided to not make the third planet in my "Shipyard System" yet another mining robot colony and instead create a haven for these pre-space tech "humans" who had been driven off their home planet.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Oh, Wiz, it's like some wonderful dream! Hoping that the warscore screen looks like EU4/Sector Management where you just pick the systems you want on the galactic map.

Also skimming the Paradox thread the number of people who actually like how borders works currently is completely baffling.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Literally my only complaint is that there's no intra-empire wormhole connectors, but other than that this DD was exactly what I was looking for! Can't wait to check out the stream.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Trivia posted:

Man, I've got a real itch to play this game again, but I'd rather not if 1.9 is coming out soonish.

If 1.9 is out before late March at the earliest I'd be pretty shocked, going by how Wiz et al are talking. Start a new game!

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Shadowlyger posted:

All that does is force you to micro your way around the pulsar or go refit your entire fleet with plasma weapons of your own to kill it, and now you have control of the plasma-equipped pulsar fortress while you go refit your fleet again with weapons that don't suck against shields.

In other words, all it introduces is a shitload more micro.

Are we just using "micro" to mean "thing I don't like" at this point?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/930452658900611074

An intriguing look at ship design. Missiles are torpedoes now?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Playing as Fanatic Purifiers, is there a good way of dealing with the self-modifying event chain? Sadly found out I can’t just quickly purge them.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

It looks like tech costs are getting changed too, I don’t think I’ve ever seen something cost those amounts of research before.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/944269351179440128

Tomb World starts confirmed! Kinda hoping it’s a start-locked civic.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

The DLC will be about saving 15% or more on car insurance?

gently caress, now I need to go make a Gecko person Megacorp civ for 2.0. Thanks a lot!

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Midgame crisis: Mirror universe version of the first empire to build a new gate starts coming through the gates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

Are plants and humanoids going to get unique looking planet destroying ships, or will they just copy from another race

Plantoid better look like a giant Venus Fly Trap

• Locked thread