Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Though I wonder if you can still have spiritualist robots who hate you because you allow the existence of robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

is sots the one where you could build massive space stations to hold a single giant gently caress off gun to shell planets half way across the galaxy? cause that was pretty rad.

Sword of the Stars did not have that (I think?) but did have a gigantic space revolver that fired asteroids into planets. You needed to bring it into the system though then guard it as the defender presumably threw their entire fleet at the thing in a desperate attempt to prevent it from dinosauring them.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Staltran posted:

The Galactic Wonders megastructures seem kind of underwhelming. Do you have to build parts one at a time after finishing the site? If so, science nexus seems to have a total build time of 27,5 years with the master builders ascension perk, and Dyson spheres 55 years. And the total output doesn't seem amazing either, Science nexuses 50 science of all types is about 2 orbitals worth, but the orbitals will also produce some energy, and you can build three for the price of one science nexus. Filling them up might take a bit longer than building the science nexus, I suppose. A Dyson sphere produces 400 energy, which is worth 800 minerals at most. They cost a bit over 200k, so they pay for themselves maybe around 10 years after being finished, since they produce some of the energy while partially complete? That's still over 60 years to get your investment back...

Ring worlds take 30 years to complete, and cost 47500 minerals and 225 influence with master builders. Habitats still seem better unless you're much more constrained by influence than minerals. Though I don't know what buildings ring worlds get...

So regarding this, the problem with Habitats is that they can lead to you becoming resource starved. They are great for energy and research but somewhat worse than planets for unity and basically awful for mineral production, filling every system with habitats will tank your mineral production as you inflate your cost of living expenses, though it will make you extremely rich energy wise and with excellent research. It can be a great idea to have a few habitats where you build nothing but labs and perhaps a happiness building or two then stick science ships to assist research on them. Additionally each habitat does count as another world for research/unity costs and they are not exactly big planets with only size 12.

A ringworld section uses regular buildings but on a size 25 gaia world and so does not have any of those limitations along with having maximum efficiency when it comes to pops/production per additional planet. I guess that the science nexus follows a similar principle, you get a ton of science without adding more planets and thus slowing down your tradition gain, though by the time you can make one you could potentially have maxed out all of the trees and thus not care at all.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Stacking habitability can definitely end up a 'problem', I was using droids to colonize crapsack planets and turn them into gigantic strip mines. Then at some point my Weak lizards decided that emigrating from 100 percent habitability planets to a howling wasteland full of robots and open quarries was a great idea just because they could sort of breath the atmosphere.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

So I just finished off the Unbidden and so my fleet is under strength, these guys are still SUPER ANGRY at my being soulless robots who colonise Tomb Worlds.

They are however not in any position to do anything about it:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Yes but it's not especially good gameplay if I can make everyone in the empire as objectively happy as it is possible for sapient life to be, without really trying, thus invalidating the mechanic and everything tied to it.

Well keep in mind that your slaves will also be productive if you are running them on a barely habitable planet, where happiness attempts would be capped at 40-50% or something. Being able to fill every single planet with mines can go a long way toward drowning your foes in a tide of warships.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

One of my friends in a multiplayer game encountered a Sol system inhabited by Machine Age humans who were Fanatic Militarist Xenophobes.

So he infiltrated their government and incorporated them into his empire before genetically engineering them to be Very Strong and using them to staff his armies for future invasions. Yep, lizard people took over the Nazis and then turned them into super soldiers for space conquest.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

You can absolutely get psi jump drive without any psi ascension perks or technology, I got it in my materialist game after turning everyone into Synths.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Staltran posted:

Where did you get it from, debris?

Belatedly, I think it was a maniacal research lead that let me get psi jump drives as a materialist? I imagine the rate was super low, it turned up after I had basically researched everything else.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Staltran posted:

That... shouldn't be possible, it has a 0x weight multiplier if you have Utopia.

I honestly have no idea, but it happened, without any derelict research:

No mods and using Utopia.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Ahh, my mistake then, I figured there was just the one reality ruining jump drive.

It certainly worked to summon the Unbidden.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

GotLag posted:

Psi jump drive has a purple eye icon, and twice the range. RIP having psi jump as materialist :(

That would be enormously useful right now, an idiot spiritualist fallen empire just declared war on me and the 130+K strength fleet shown on one of the images above... Cannot get to them, there is an angry regular empire in the way with closed borders and as super pacifists I cannot change that. Looks like I am stuck in an eternal war situation.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I would think missiles would get progressively better the more you mass them, as a critical mass of them will overwhelm point defences, as well as providing cover for fighters and torpedoes.

The problem with that is that you will also increasingly waste firepower on 'overkilling' enemies, due to travel time for the missiles compared to energy or kinetic.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Also, finally, Space Dragons

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Filthy Monkey posted:

Part of me wishes I could swap out that kabuto for a chef's hat.

Are you listening Wiz? We want a Hats DLC, I will pay real money to be able to put different hats on my Space President/Generalissimo/Prophet/Emperor.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Tomn posted:

Attaching Jedi to your armies was kinda fun, but individually attaching each and every army with their special sauce was bullshit.

And it made no difference because either you invade with utterly overwhelming force, or you didn't invade at all.

I think the only time I saw it actually pay off was in multiplayer where I had filled a planet with military academy trained, Very Strong gene-warriors for some reason then one of my friends attempted to invade the planet using a blob of regular assault armies, not having noticed.

It turned out that the Planet of the Super Murderers was still quite capable of killing everyone trying to invade even with the debuff from bombardment, this then induced a years long delay in progression as they tried to build up more troops and theoretically could have allowed me time to replenish or build up my fleet? But that was a super niche case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Frankly, the game guarantees that you'll have 2-3 nearby planets (either inside or just outside your starting territory). These are usually your first colonization targets unless they're tiny (under 15 size) or you find a truly amazing planet a bit further away.

This is one of my peeves with the game actually, namely that so much depends on the size of those two planets that start right next to you. If they are size 24? Amazing! A size 12 and a size 13? Well... that is going to massively gently caress you over mid game. Right type planets are pretty are.

• Locked thread