Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

RabidWeasel posted:

Yes the ship designer and planetary landings / combat feel like features which only exist because they're things that people expect a space 4x game to have. I certainly wouldn't miss these if they were removed, there's nothing fun and compelling about them, they're just something you have to interact with occasionally while playing the 'real' game.

I don't mind the ship designer, but RE:planetary landings I could stand with having less busy body and having to design a ship with a "Space Marines" module that simply enable you to capture a planet if you have enough of them. This would do away with having a completely separate ship that you form from having built separate entities (assault troops and such) on planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
All right so, I'm reaching what I guess is the mid point for the first time here. I went with a Megacorp type of civilization, and it seems to have worked well. I'm wondering now where to expand from here on out.

I'm the New Worlds Conglomerate

(with wormholes range this time)

I'm the second member of a federation with voting rights, but clearly it's biggest member. Most of my neighbors are also associates. I have one vassal. Now, where to from here? I have three types of races in my nation so far that allows me to colonize what ever type of planet I want. I seem to also have the ethics divergence under control. There is some empty space up north and west that seems up for grab. There is also a small empire to the west of the galaxy that is completely isolated from the others, which I'm thinking of vassalizing. The rest of the galaxy is part of a smaller, opposing federation. Tech research also seems to have slowed down which has me worried I'm expanding too much, despite being of a similar size as before. Not sure how that works out.

I've never had a real opponent so far in term of fleet size so I'm wary of being blind to a weakness in it. Mostly right now it's composed of about a hundred corvettes with Mass Drivers IV, then about 20 destroyers, 10 cruisers and soon 10 Battleships, the two latest classes being the ones with shields. I've also just had the tech for fighters and bombers pop up, which makes me excited for carrier classes. Are they worth it?

Anyway any tips would be appreciated. It's an ironman game that's going really well so far. I'm just hoping that it's not going to go to poo poo with end game events too soon, as I feel completely under prepared. And as we know with paradox games, if you get a 6-6-6- king, he'll last two months.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

GunnerJ posted:

Any leviathans or fallen empires to beat up? Can you research any dangerous techs to try to get a crisis going?

I'm not sure. Can you really beat up fallen empires at the mid point? What fleet power should I have?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

genericnick posted:

That is probably not the right thread to ask this in but how does Steam handle purchases while abroad? I don't really feel like waiting two months for this DLC.

Check what currency it's showing you. If it's yours then you are in the proper region shop. It should be that way I believe unless you changed any credit card address info. Anyway it is how it has been for me when I travel.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Just tried to play with a friend, but apparently we can't because different versions? He has Utopia and I do not. I thought Paradox games allowed you to play with others no matter the DLC? Is this a bug or signs of things to come?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Brother Entropy posted:

is one of you on the 1.5.1 beta patch?

I don't think so, I believe we had the same checksum, but we can check again.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Haven't played this in a while, and I don't remember : is there a way to tell the game to use only player made species in the galaxy? I feel like doing a game of Stellaris with nothing but home made species, for fun, but also to increase recognition of who I'm up against. It should help creating mental stories.

/edit
Hmm, patch in a week? I might wait until then to start my thing.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 16, 2018

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Gyrotica posted:

You can force spawn individual player-created races.

Found the option. How does it work exactly? Is it that if you, say, have 10 player made races, put 20 races to spawn in the galaxy, it'll take your 10 first, then generate 10 randoms? Does that include the Fallen kingdoms? or are those always randomly generated? I'd prefer if they were, just for RP purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Bold Robot posted:

First question: I think so but I’m not sure.

Second question: Player-created races can spawn as FEs.

Is playing without FE a big gameplay modifier? For those that experienced it...

• Locked thread