Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Has anyone had issues with Leviathans using the Improved Space Battles mod? Mine seem to go down a lot faster than the Titans I have when fighting the Unbidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

What if everyone got their own Precursor chain and the system spawned next to their homeworld?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

What about Freespace-2 style hyperlanes, where instead of the border being the warp point, there are single points in each system that may be close or far away from each other?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

If stations were beefier and foiled fleets of cruisers on down, it would solve the problems they point out in the Reddit threat about battleships not having a use.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Is there any way to figure out if another empire is actually purging a population (or otherwise acting like tyrannical jerks)? I mean, I know you can look up what their policy is, but it feels like there's a difference between ethnic cleansing is allowed and ethnic cleansing is a thing we have done/are doing right now.

Also, if you can see that they're doing it right now, it adds a bit of urgency to the matter.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day...

One might even say, flipped turned upside down.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

What if the default was that some tech trees would shut off access to others, but there was an option to just leave everything unlocked?

If that didn't work, I'm sure there is/would be a mod to unlock all techs.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

I feel like anomalies would be more interesting if they were all of the CK2 event choice variety, and without a fail condition.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Replace anomalies with a popup event that can have random outcomes and gives special options for scientist traits. There aren't that many anomalies anyway so it probably wouldn't be a major rewrite for Paradox.

And remove critical failures that kill your scientist please.

It might even be better if you have a choice, though (again echoing CK 2): Well, you *could* try this dangerous experiment, and you'd have a % chance of scientist having something bad happening, but you'd also have a % chance of something good happening. Bad could include death, but would more likely include hilarious terribad maladies to the scientist to make things interesting.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

I feel like ultimately the only way to make tall empires and broad empires playable and in the same universe is to essentially make it a hard choice between different groups of incentives/penalties. I don't know if that should be a racial characteristic or a policy or a tradition, but it seems like you need something that enforces parity with tall empires getting a lot more bang for the buck in terms of resources and the like, but with very heavy penalties for expansion past a particular point.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Fututor Magnus posted:

you know what would make stellaris 200% better? more and better peacetime events and poo poo to do (immersion)! while you're peaceful and building up, give us more events, and large event chains like you can get in CKII but about the internal poo poo going on in your empire.

Hopefully they'll get to this after the Cherryh, which sounds like it's basically polishing/rejiggering up all the other components of the game.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Shugojin posted:

The correct method is to make the failures at least really funny.

This Goon gets it.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

That Works posted:

I can't seem to get either of 2 races to form a federation with me. All 3 of us are xenophiles, have had long standing NAPs and then defensive pacts. The better of the two is sitting on 100 trust, +152 opinion and are slightly 'Superior' to me. The 'Invite to Federation' box has the red X on it despite the fact I have the tech. The only negatives I have with the best standing race is -28 border friction, -10 'Egalitarian Rabble'.

Any thoughts on how to make this work? The other race is +113 to me with 80 trust, 'equivalent' status and same for the -12 border friction and -10 'Egalitarian Rabble. I get the red X on them for federation as well....

I don't know if I'm misremembering, but I *think* the parties involved have to not be at war to form a Federation...

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Benagain posted:

Attachments are dead thank god.

I really liked the flavor they provided, but yeah, having to actually deal with them was a pain in the rear end.

Really sounds like the 2.0 overhaul is going to be a slam dunk, so I've got the hype. Feels like a transition from good to great.

I imagine after this they'll be doing an events and diplomacy (maybe espionage?) pass.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Bought the Apocalypse DLC off the Paradox website.

Anyone know what the deal is with the "Paradox Version" ? It's listed as a second, free item bundled with the DLC.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Rhjamiz posted:

Man, it just occured to me that you could rip the ship and station models from Sword of the Stars/SotS2 and they would fit pretty well into the game, being similarly modular. If only I knew how to do that. The SolForce ships would look pretty sweet. Or the Loa for Machine Empires.

Somewhere, Mecron cries out, grabs his chest, and explodes.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Cherryh reminds me once again that while I'm disappointed in the lack of quality Freespace mods for Stellaris, I am too lazy to do anything about it.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Right now it's a mid-game crisis. The Horde is going to take it's place

Sounds like the War in Heaven is going to get a bit more dicey, then. I suppose that makes sense with the planet-killers.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

GotLag posted:

Seems to me this would discourage building megastructures until you stumble across the events to built proper versions.

Maybe have the stumbling as an option, but I wouldn't want to be gated out of proper megastructures without lifting them from somebody's lab-tomb.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I have built over my fleet cap using energy credits as my ceiling. For simplicity’s sake I build battleships only, point defense, bombers, and kinetic artillery for the large slots. Mix of armor and shields, with shield capacitors. I can stomp any/all other empires super easily, but the awakened empire can saunter in and nuke my everything in a New York minute.

I can only play on small maps thanks to my MacBook 😕

FEs have battleship-killers. Folks usually use things like corvettes to screen- if they're lucky, they dodge, if they're not, they take a hit that would have cored a battleship.

E: For clarification, that corvette also has a bad day when hit.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Isn't there a mod that makes those unique starter civics (determined exterminators, fanatic purifiers, etc) addible and/or removable in midgame? I feel there should be a way to maybe change your mind about these things later in game for various reasons.

Maybe if it were based on some random event where you make a choice. Let's say you're a determined exterminator, and now you're having second thoughts about killing all organics and that maybe not all of them are so bad. Or you're a regular robot empire who's finally sick of all organic's poo poo and decide to just gently caress everything and burn them all.

If the Cybrex can do it, why can't we? :colbert:

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Wiz posted:

It wasn't really a seriously meant poll though, as I thought was evident by option 3 :P

Little did you know how deadly serious body pillows can be

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

VirtualStranger posted:

I can't be the only one who's bugged by this.

It may turn out that you are.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Clash of the Titans: Defeat a Fallen Empire Titan in battle with a fleet of your own that includes a Titan

Freespace-like achievement detected.

Pandora's World: Shield a planet belonging to Fanatic Purifiers, Ravenous Swarms or Determined Exterminators

Future Generations: You pacifist diiiiiiicccccckkkkkkksssssssss.

Gyrotica fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 15, 2018

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I'm starting to really lose track of what "unity" is supposed to represent.

Buttstuff.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

StarMinstrel posted:

Haven't played this in a while, and I don't remember : is there a way to tell the game to use only player made species in the galaxy? I feel like doing a game of Stellaris with nothing but home made species, for fun, but also to increase recognition of who I'm up against. It should help creating mental stories.

/edit
Hmm, patch in a week? I might wait until then to start my thing.

You can force spawn individual player-created races.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

A lot of the Advisor voices are terrible but also some are real good.

The Xenophile one is kind of adorable.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I forget his name is VIR. Feel like Paradox needs to hire Peter Jurasik to do a new advisor voice.

What do you want you moon-faced assassin of joy?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

1stGear posted:

Only being able to build military ships at starbases and civilian ships at planets seems like a weird extra step.

For the most part, I expect you'll actually be building military ships from fleet menus.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Synthetic Dawn was like the last straw that juuuust pushed the game into where I found myself playing for many many hours without feeling angry. It's really hard to pin down what changes it was, just a slow accumulation of quality of life stuff and rebalances over the many patches.

I heard the same from quite a few friends too, that they either wrote the game off a month or so after it came out, or had been buying every DLC but always felt like the game just wasn't clicking. But when synthetic dawn patch came out, it finally started to really work.

I've been buying everything and enjoying it the whole time, but I'm probably broken.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

As opposed to its... largely nonexistent story?

Whether or not you like them, the majority of the content is clearly in the game mechanics.

I'm pursuing a PhD in the rhetoric of game design and development and even I think this argument between the two of you is dumb.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

I mean there already is a win condition in the game. It's called triggering the End of the Cycle. It even has NG+ built in.

Sort of related, but it would be pretty neat to have play that somehow cycles you and some of the other races into Fallen Empires and refreshes the rest of the galaxy with newly emerging races.

That could either be as a "You have to play a new race now" or include some kind of new play-style for PC Fallen Empires.

I imagine if we ever saw such a thing it wouldn't be for another year or so - lots of things Paradox probably wants to do before then, and it would likely be a bit of a heavy lift.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

LordMune posted:

we might have :\

Curious - can you share the reason for removing it?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Wiz posted:

Maintaining multiple implementations of the same feature in the codebase is not a good idea. Plus, axing the other types allowed us to consolidate pathfinding/sensor code and improve performance via caching.

Awesome. Thanks for the insight!

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Space Skeleton posted:

I'm going to go against the grain a bit and say that I think with 2.0 the game setup is starting to have too many sliders.

You just failed the Rhys-Davies test.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

So question outta nowhere: I'm actually a bit hype for Apocalypse, but to get The Full Stellaris Experience with the update, is Apocalypse the only expansion I need to purchase or should I also pick up Utopia, Synthetic Dawn and Leviathans? Note that I own the base version of Stellaris from launch but didn't play it much.

I mean, you kind of answered your own question here.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

thorsilver posted:

So what's going to happen to Star Trek: New Horizons without warp drives, anyone know? Is a new version in the works or what? Because that mod rules and I'd rather avoid the update and keep playing it than go 2.0 and lose it tbh

From their Discord:

quote:

The full patch notes for Stellaris 2.0 have finally been revealed (link below). While we can't announce a release date for the compatibility patch, naturally, you can expect the entire STNH team is working to release it as soon as possible. 2.0 is a major patch that is changing the base game, and thus STNH, quite a bit - but we are excited about the new possibilities it offers. You can expect 2.0 to release in a week, with the STNH patch releasing as soon as possible afterwards.

Looks like they're not too upset.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Westminster System posted:

Doesnt really matter - there is one but it has mostly funky models ive not seen outside of FS mods and doesnt seem to include any of the iconic ones, like the Orion.

Really the only issue with making a Freespace pack are, as mentioned, the fact that they have four divisions of capital ships and Stellaris (now) has five. The conversion would look something like this:

Stellaris Corvettes = Freespace Cruisers
Stellaris Destroyers = Freespace ????
Stellaris Cruisers = Freespace Corvettes
Stellaris Battleships = Freespace Destroyers
Stellaris Colossus/Sathanas Ships = Freespace Titans

You'd probably have to make something from scratch for Stellaris Destroyers or borrow from a mod.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

axeil posted:

Stellaris Destroyers are clearly the NTF Icini :colbert:

IIRC wasn't the Iceni more of a hulked out FS Corvette rather than a hulked out FS Cruiser?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

canepazzo posted:

Every single system needs to be claimed by outpost. Even colonies need to be in an outpost claimed system.

Is this new? Democratic mandates grant unity rather than influence, on completion.

Yup, that's new.

• Locked thread